First Time, Last Time, NEVER AGAIN!

I see absolutely no cheerleading in this thread and think this term is drastically overused on these forums. It's like some weird catch-all when someone doesn't agree with you.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the overwhelming majority of posters have either had website or phone issues at some point. They didn't let it turn them into a Bitter Betty or Debbie Downer.

Read this entire thread, it's not "ROYAL IS BEST! U WIN THE INTERNET WITH ROYAL!" it's mostly just people with much more realistic expectations than the OP.

If I call any company and order a product, I expect them to have a certain level of knowledge of their products. I also expect them to read me details of that knowledge from some sort of a script in the process. I do not expect the person manning the Amazon help desk to be a skilled technician making $150,000 a year and understanding the nuances of every product sold on that website. I expect them to be some person making minimum wage (or worse yet, overseas making half of the US minimum wage) who has some customer help program up in front of them.

I'm still trying to figure out if the OP gets these kind of SUPER USER customer service reps at other companies. I'd love to know where I can go for that.

My daughter a few years ago worked customer service on the phones for a cable company and the stories she use to tell us about some of the people who would call up would have us laughing our butts off! She would tell us stories of people who would call and wan them to diagnos not just problems with their cable and cable boxes but also their tv's, dvd players, etc. and she said some of them would just get down right ignorant on the phone because they could not help them with their tv problem or their dvd problem. They had a script for cbale problems.....If the problem is this, then have them do this, etc. and if they could resolve the problem they would send out a service technician. However that was not good enough, they then would gon on and want them to tell them about their tv and diagnose what was wrong with that. I know of other peopkle who haqve worked customer service in other fields also and from stories I have heard I can just imagine the things these customer service reps at RCI or any other cruise lines customer service have to hear and put up with. Customer Service on the phones is a high turnover job because people don't want to continue to put up with that BS day in and day out forever! Just look at comments here on CC, if people have the attitude on the phone that they have on here....then WOW!

My daughter a few years ago worked customer service on the phones for a cable company and the stories she use to tell us about some of the people who would call up would have us laughing our butts off! She would tell us stories of people who would call and wan them to diagnos not just problems with their cable and cable boxes but also their tv's, dvd players, etc. and she said some of them would just get down right ignorant on the phone because they could not help them with their tv problem or their dvd problem. They had a script for cbale problems.....If the problem is this, then have them do this, etc. and if they could resolve the problem they would send out a service technician. However that was not good enough, they then would gon on and want them to tell them about their tv and diagnose what was wrong with that. I know of other peopkle who haqve worked customer service in other fields also and from stories I have heard I can just imagine the things these customer service reps at RCI or any other cruise lines customer service have to hear and put up with. Customer Service on the phones is a high turnover job because people don't want to continue to put up with that BS day in and day out forever! Just look at comments here on CC, if people have the attitude on the phone that they have on here....then WOW!

I deal with customer service issues (in person) every day I work. Realistically 95% of the time, all is fine and good and problems solved. The rest of the time, it can be a nightmare.....my goal, is to do the best I can "within the company policies of the company I work for (that pays my salary), so I don't lose my job" -- and when I can't give the person the solution they want, they are unhappy...but I still can't help them.....so I say, "I know you will be disappointed, but what you want from me, I am unable to provide in the way you want" and then further explain. Even those people (who can't get their problem resolved in the way they want) are asked to complete our customer survey (my boss hates when I do that) -- yet, those people write on the survey, that although they did not get the problem resolved the way they wanted, I was as professional as I could be.

So, back to the OP's topic -- perhaps the CSR doesn't have the detailed information down to the smallest detail that you want (there are other ways to get it), but were they rude or nasty. The OP is disappointed, but as long as the CSR wasn't rude or nasty -- all they can do, is what they can do. GET OVER IT. Use the information that if freely flowing to the OP, from fellow cruisers, who know so much more than the CSR working either from home or an office, that may never have seen the inside of a cruise ship, never mind one of the port stops you are asking about. Be HAPPY you can cruise.

Imagine my shock and awe, when I looked at the friends on the profile of the OP....

And your point is?:eek:

Is that the point of the forums, how many friends you get?

The OP is correct that RCL agents should know about what they are selling, no excuses!

The people responding to the OP with ideas, and info without the psychoanalysis have done a very good job providing a lot of good ideas.

Edited by American Bear

Check my previous post (#93).

This particular excursion MAY NOT be available.

We took this excursion in February and half way through it the engine blew up and the train completely stopped. The buses were at the end point, and had to come and get us, which took about an hour.

If the engine has not been repaired yet, the train can't run and the excursion won't be offered.

My mom is sailing on the Jewel on 4/11 and this excursion wasn't available until just recently. Maybe it just got back up and running.

Expecting the person who sells you a cruise (over the phone, no less) to be able to answer every little question you might have about port specifics and excursions is pretty close to expecting a car salesperson to be able to tell you where you should park at the mall and does this store carry that item.

For goodness sake, OP, calm down! Not knowing every little bit of info about a port ahead of time isn't worth the aggravation you're expressing! Lord knows, there's plenty of help here, and Google is your friend as well.

What on earth is SO important to know ahead of time that you'd waste that much time and energy being so angry?

I didn't realize people were measured by this either. I guess I better start making friends!

The OP is correct that RCL agents should know about what they are selling, no excuses!.

It's been said multiple times that expecting this will result in extreme frustration, so adjusting your expectations will only help. You can register your disappointment with RCL, but then you move on.

It's unrealistic that anyone would be able to maintain an up-to-date database of the contractors for every single port for every single excursion in order to answer every specific question. Sure, you can have that expectation, but that's not the reality. Now questions about the ship that can't be answered are more frustrating as that's something that doesn't change unless there's been a recent refurbishment.

It's unrealistic that anyone would be able to maintain an up-to-date database of the contractors for every single port for every single excursion in order to answer every specific question. Sure, you can have that expectation, but that's not the reality. Now questions about the ship that can't be answered are more frustrating as that's something that doesn't change unless there's been a recent refurbishment.

Well said!

I don't expect them to know every detail about everything but certainly someone at RCI has the answers to the questions, their constant sorry I don't know the answer but what else can I sell you attitude is aburd. I'm willing to spend the money if you just answer the questions.

But from the likes of most of you I'm just a complainer and should just throw money at them regardless if they can actually tell me anything and it's my fault some how that I don't use 3rd party information to make the decisions.

If you are that dissatisfied with a Company you certainly should not throw any more Money at them.

In your case I agree with your thread title and this would probably be the best Thing for you.

This has been the one of the most shocking experiences I've ever had to see how many people just are oh well about the whole thing.

Count me into that crowd. I can tell you why I feel like that. I´ve just never experienced the Problems you had. Not with RCI and not with any other cruiseline I´ve sailed on. I will tell you why this never happened to me. I´ve simply never ever called any cruiselines call Center. There was just never the Need to and I´ve always found any questions I had answered somewhere easier to Access than to call them.

Yea I know rant rant rant rant :) I'll be quiet now and be a good little lemming and only ask questions and happy things.

I´m sorry but yes you come across like rant rant rant rant. It might not be your Intention, but in my opinion it Looks exactly like that.

I think the main Problem is - and many on here are trying to tell you this - you can rant about this as much as you like, but you are not going to Change it. We can agree or disagree about how bad the Website and their call Centers are, but None of this will Change your dissatisfaction and None of this will get you better answers with your next calls. That´s why most People are trying to tell you to take a deep breath, adjust your expectations and stop running towards the brick wall again and again and again.

It Looks like it´s too late for you to cancel now, so you should make the best out of the Situation now and then book your vacations with a Company you are happier with next time.

You might say this is putting up with crappy Service which we shouldn´t. I say I´ve never had These Problems, as I obviously never had the Needs of answers like you. I say vote with your wallet to not put up with it, but as you can´t get out of it for now - again relax, lower your expectations and stop frustrating yourself with calling them.

It's the southern caribbean cruise. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao.

I've not been to Aruba or Cuacao so would be open to suggestions in the lines of Shopping/Sight Seeing.

St. Thomas I've been on a cruise to just not RCI so I know the Cable Car is a good choice and I know there is shopping at the Havenport dock but RCI can't tell me what dock we are going to I've asked them a few times now they are not sure and have been unable to get the information. If I knew that I could atleast know what's around the dock and how far it is. Like the Havenport dock I know is a 5-10 min ride by taxi to downtown shopping.

St. Kitt's I know has a Senic Rail tour which I would like to do again but RCI again can't tell me anything even though it's on their own website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=KT39&DestinationCode=

No point in using their website since only works about 10% of the time. Either I can't login because "Your reservation is being modified" or when I am able to nothing seems to work. Again asking them for help get's me know where, all I get is "What excursion do you want to book" and I ask about them and in return get "Sorry I don't know anything about them".

It all just makes me want to scream.

Although I dont totally agree with all your comments, I do feel that the CSR's should know more than they do about certain things. I have had CSR's talk with me about excursions and ships...etc and I also had CSR that didnt know squat. I book the cruises on the phone with them or while on the ship. I have also learned allot from Cruise Critic and by asking questions on here. I too have had issues with the RCI Website. Friends of mine were on the Inaugural Quantum sailing and they had to not call and wait to speak with a CSR because the website keep crashing when they were trying to book their dinners since it has to be Dynamic Dining. Personally, I like Royal BUT I think their website is pretty crappy to be honest. The (rci ) wants us, the passengers to book more stuff on line...such as meals, excursions....etc... and Im ok with that, but then they need to provide a website that works. I too have already spoken with a CSR and didnt get the answer I wanted so I waited an hour and called back and spoke to someone different and she was fine with what I wanted to do. So again, although I like Royal, they are not totally clean. I dont think the issues are not worth sailing them, but you need to know how to navigate things a little differently is all.

The OP is correct that RCL agents should know about what they are selling, no excuses!

The people responding to the OP with ideas, and info without the psychoanalysis have done a very good job providing a lot of good ideas.

American Bear get's it! Thank you.

think this term is drastically overused on these forums. It's like some weird catch-all when someone doesn't agree with you.

I am past sick of that term and you are exactly right. Its an overused catch all term for anyone that doesnt just completely agree with someones gripes and rants and tell them how sorry we are they are experiencing such an awful time. It seems we have a little clique here now that is so quick to throw that term out there and honestly, they are far worse than ANYONE that sticks up for the cruise line on occasion. There is one OP on here that 90% of their posts are bashing people of this website. I have NO idea why they continue to stick around here if we are THAT bad.

Off the soapbox now

Edited by ryano

Well said!

No not well said and no it's very realisitc that RCI would keep a up to date database about excursions that they sell. They gurantee them they know every detail about each of those contractors as well as what insurance they have and their track record for service I'm 100% sure of that because that would be a very stupid move on their part to sell and gurantee something they don't know anything about because if something were to happen they would be sued for it.

While I've been on many cruises this was to be my first on RCI. At this point I can tell you if they offered me a full refund I would take it and run and never look back.

I've spent hours a day for weeks now trying to get either information out of their website or out of their customer service and it's all a BIG BIG Joke!

I don't see how you frequent cruises deal with them. All I get out of them is "I don't know I've never been there". How do you sell a product you know nothing about I just don't understand.

My favorite is returning someones phone call that left a message that says "We have information and answers to your questions" but not tell me so that when I call I wait on hold for 60 minutes only to be told that the person is not available even though I've called when they said they would be there only to be told they would have to call me back.

SOOOO furstrated with this and the cruise is still 45 days away. I can only imagin how bad it's going to be in 45 days if it's this bad now.

Never again will I even look at RCI.

Sorry for experience, but I can assure you things happen on other cruise lines too! We have experienced both good and bad on a number of different cruise lines over the years.

Where ever you end up, enjoy the cruise and don't let the process ruin your trip.

Edited by shipshape sam

Expecting the person who sells you a cruise (over the phone, no less) to be able to answer every little question you might have about port specifics and excursions is pretty close to expecting a car salesperson to be able to tell you where you should park at the mall and does this store carry that item.

:confused: How does that make any sense that doesn't compare to what I'm saying RCI should know their product not tell me where to park my car. A car sales person should know their product not where to park my car either. Your annalogy makes no sense.

I see absolutely no cheerleading in this thread and think this term is drastically overused on these forums. It's like some weird catch-all when someone doesn't agree with you.

Sorry diagree while you might be using TapaTalk to view the forum so you don't see signatures but those people that claim they are ok with RCI not knowing anything and that it's my fault for asking them have in their signatures ONLY RCI cruises one even has "ROYAL LOYALIST" so most of these posters post nothing more the RCI defense and I'm wrong and just angry that I don't get my way blah blah blah because in their eyes RCI can do nothing wrong because that's all they know. This thread is in the RCI forum and you don't think there are RCI cheerleaders here? You are certainly out of touch with reality.

If I call any company and order a product, I expect them to have a certain level of knowledge of their products. I also expect them to read me details of that knowledge from some sort of a script in the process. I do not expect the person manning the Amazon help desk to be a skilled technician making $150,000 a year and understanding the nuances of every product sold on that website. I expect them to be some person making minimum wage (or worse yet, overseas making half of the US minimum wage) who has some customer help program up in front of them.

Another analogy that makes no sense. RCI is nothing like Amazon. Amazon sells millions of products from thousands of vendors all over the world. I would never expect any of their customer service people to know anything about the products that are being sold. RCI however sells cruises and excursions which they gurantee so I fully expect them to know about what they sell and if the person I speak to doesn't know I fully expect them to find the person that does know.

No not well said and no it's very realisitc that RCI would keep a up to date database about excursions that they sell. They gurantee them they know every detail about each of those contractors as well as what insurance they have and their track record for service I'm 100% sure of that because that would be a very stupid move on their part to sell and gurantee something they don't know anything about because if something were to happen they would be sued for it.

No, still unrealistic. Now, you may be correct in a sense, as there are probably people within the company who keep up with things like the insurance and track records for the excursion providers. I wouldn't expect a customer service rep to be familiar with anything more than where to find the basic descriptions of what excursions are available for a given itinerary, though. I doubt most of them know any more than what is on the website.

No, still unrealistic. Now, you may be correct in a sense, as there are probably people within the company who keep up with things like the insurance and track records for the excursion providers. I wouldn't expect a customer service rep to be familiar with anything more than where to find the basic descriptions of what excursions are available for a given itinerary, though. I doubt most of them know any more than what is on the website.

Again as I've said multiple times if they don't know the answer then should put forth of effort of finding out the information and not tell someone sorry don't know and follow that with what else can I sell you and ask if they have done a good job helping you.

Edited by MrSmoofy

Again as I've said multiple times if they don't know the answer then should put forth of effort of finding out the information and not tell someone sorry don't know and follow that with what else can I sell you and ask if they have done a good job helping you.

Yes, I've read what you've said multiple times. A couple people agree with you; most of us think you're expecting more than should be expected. I doubt we'll change your mind, nor you change ours. :cool:

Chris,

I´ve got to ask you a question and this is meant as a serious and honest question.

Do you feel better after you´ve made your displeasure known here? Would you feel better if everybody on here would have supported your opinion?

I've been on 4 RC cruises and haven't once asked them anything about an excursion. The internet and these forums are more than you need to find out anything you'd like to know. Let RC deal with the logistics of getting 3-4000 people safely on/off the ship and around the caribbean while you do your own homework about good places to shop. Granted, they should be able to answer some of those questions don't dwell on it.

YOU have the ability to make it a good or bad cruise, don't go into it with a piss poor attutide or you'll wind up with the latter.

I'm sure they have all of that. But a good question is- why do you need to know that? Which is another question- why do every single person who answers the phone need to know that?

Other than knowing when you get picked up, and when you should be dropped off, what you expect to do, what you expect to see, what you must bring, what you should think to bring, and if there is food ALONG with the price, what more do you need to know?

Just curious.

I'm not sure if OP questions were answered but I just returned from a March 15th cruise and did the train we read and were told it is only booked through cruise line we paid 99·75$ per person you take bus to the train for 1/2 island tour and bus for the other 1/2 other side tour you sit open air car or inside train has rest ROOM and given free alcohol and non or water to drink It is about 2·5-3 hour tour and then back to ship any questions just ask!

Chris,

I´ve got to ask you a question and this is meant as a serious and honest question.

Do you feel better after you´ve made your displeasure known here? Would you feel better if everybody on here would have supported your opinion?

Are you suggesting no one should share their displeasure or experience? Isn't that part of what Cruise Critic is reviews and information from others experience?

No I wasn't looking for people only supporting my opinion just expressing my displeasure in hopes that it's not the norm, but apparently it is and people just accept that which I think is just wrong but then I see that people are quick to defend them and attack my ranting as if I'm in the wrong for expecting better service from a service oriented company.

People are going to think what they want about me and that doesn't affect me either way I'm not looking to make friends but apparently some people see your friends list as some kind of status symbol here. If your someone who just accepts that this is how it is and doens't expect more from them then I don't see us being friends anyways. I'm not saying you have to fully agree with everything I'm saying but most are only reading bits and pieces and not taking in the whole thing and then just throwing out their opinion which everyone has a right to but just accepting that this is the norm and you shouldn't expect anything more then this is just wrong to me.

I'm sure they have all of that. But a good question is- why do you need to know that? Which is another question- why do every single person who answers the phone need to know that?

Other than knowing when you get picked up, and when you should be dropped off, what you expect to do, what you expect to see, what you must bring, what you should think to bring, and if there is food ALONG with the price, what more do you need to know?

Just curious.

No I do not expect every single person to know every single thing. I do expect them to give a damn and put forth an effort to educating themself about the product they are being paid to sell and when they don't know something offering to find out the answer. I've had CSR tell me they don't know what dock or what time. I've been told I'm not sure what nights are formal nights. I've asked about some things about the ship or activities on the ship which again they don't know. They put no effort into finding out either. It wasn't until they had me speak to a Resolution Team Member by their choice not mine I never asked to speak to that type of CSR I was ok dealing with the persons answering the phone I'd just like them to put some effort into finding the answers and not just blowing me off with I don't knows.

Besides it's harder to deal with the Resolution Team member then the regular CSR. A Resolution Team Member will call you and say they have some answers to questions and ask you to call them back. They instruct you to press 4 but what they don't realize that there is more to it then that. You have to pess many options not just 4 because when you call the number they give you it's the same menu as the main number. So you end up waiting until a regular CSR answers then you ask to speak to the person that called you back you then have to confirm with them every detail about your cruise until then they try to contact the person you are trying to call back to here these answers you have. The average time for this call is about 1 hour.

But if I got by the philosphy of this board then that's just the norm and I should just accept it.

I'm not sure if OP questions were answered but I just returned from a March 15th cruise and did the train we read and were told it is only booked through cruise line we paid 99·75$ per person you take bus to the train for 1/2 island tour and bus for the other 1/2 other side tour you sit open air car or inside train has rest ROOM and given free alcohol and non or water to drink It is about 2·5-3 hour tour and then back to ship any questions just ask!

Thank you but I know all about the tour. It's the booking that RCI is giving me an issue with. While they do offer it just not to us and their reason is because they have another ship at port on the same day so they are only selling it for that ship but can't tell me why. So I'm trying to find out if it's possible to book it anyways outside the ship if the ship is not going to offer it.