ALASKA CRUISE FIRST or TOUR FIRST

rtwoolums

While DW and I didn't sail Princess for Alaska trip, I'm assuming our findings will be applicable. Our friends had selected this trip, and we went along. Friends were told that tour should be done first, and I couldn't agree more.

While we were able to set one suitcase aside during the tour to be taken to the ship, we still had to get up each day (sometimes very early) set our cases outside for transport to the next location.

When we got to the ship, after a fantastic, but tiring time. We were able to unload the suitcases and enjoy the cruise. I can't imagine how tiring it would have been to have land tour after the cruise.

We're booked for June 2016 - a 13 day connoisseur cruisetour. We didn't even consider cruising first. The land portion is busy and hectic and we want to totally relax the last 7 days cruising back south.

I read a lot of reviews here on CC over the past couple of years while hoping we could someday take this cruisetour. When the stars aligned and it was possible we already knew that we wanted to do the land portion first.

While DW and I didn't sail Princess for Alaska trip, I'm assuming our findings will be applicable. Our friends had selected this trip, and we went along. Friends were told that tour should be done first, and I couldn't agree more.

While we were able to set one suitcase aside during the tour to be taken to the ship, we still had to get up each day (sometimes very early) set our cases outside for transport to the next location.

When we got to the ship, after a fantastic, but tiring time. We were able to unload the suitcases and enjoy the cruise. I can't imagine how tiring it would have been to have land tour after the cruise.

Agree with this comment. Land tour very busy and not much time to relax. Use the cruise to relax from the land tour. I've heard this comment from many people on our Alaskan cruises.

As our B2B2B begins in FLL and ends in Whittier, so the post cruise land tour was the only option. I've read that doing the land tour first is the better way and I'm sure we'll find out. That said, surely some cruisers must do the land portion at the end, otherwise the lodges would be empty...correct?

As our B2B2B begins in FLL and ends in Whittier, so the post cruise land tour was the only option. I've read that doing the land tour first is the better way and I'm sure we'll find out. That said, surely some cruisers must do the land portion at the end, otherwise the lodges would be empty...correct?

As half of the tours are cruise first and tour second you can be sure that many people are doing the land portion after they cruise.

If you have the choice, tour first. Get the land travel out of the way and relax.

Sometimes the logistics don't work and you need to cruise first. Nothing BAD about that, just I think the lesser of 2 options.

We're booked for June 2016 - a 13 day connoisseur cruisetour. We didn't even consider cruising first. The land portion is busy and hectic and we want to totally relax the last 7 days cruising back south.

I read a lot of reviews here on CC over the past couple of years while hoping we could someday take this cruisetour. When the stars aligned and it was possible we already knew that we wanted to do the land portion first.

We are looking at doing OB6 on Princess the week of June 5th. How about you?

Randy

Agree with the above posts. We did the Princess cruisetour in Alaska with the tour first and then totally relaxed on the cruise. We kept saying "It's so nice not to have to pay for food any more and no more packing/unpacking." when we finally boarded the Diamond.

As half of the tours are cruise first and tour second you can be sure that many people are doing the land portion after they cruise.

May be because of the difference in price between the two. Going Northbound and then tour in Nay 2016. Opposite agenda was $600/pp or more. Can do a whole lot with that kind of money. Wanted to do southbound but not for that much more.

We are looking at doing OB6 on Princess the week of June 5th. How about you?

Randy

OB6 :)

Land portion starts on June 23

Cruise portion starts on June 29

Edited by Thrak

I must admit I did the alaska cruise first in 2013 and now I am getting ready to do land tour first. The last day of the 5 day land tour was the only one I was tired on. I really didn't have any problems with the land tour being last. In a way, I was glad because after the cruise I was very dizzy for about a week after. I am a little concerned if the same thing will happen this time as I am going to work 4 days after my cruise tour. Has anybody used the motion sickness meds after they returned to land?

Did two cruise-first in September (different years). We pretty much closed the gift shops down as we were the last tours of the season. Great views of Denali in the park. Avoid the McKinley lodge if you can and get an extra day in Denali. Expect high prices up there - $9 for a Subway across the street from Denali. And the Mckinley dining room cost $140 for an average prime rib and cheap bottle of wine.

One down side of cruise first is that you get on the train very early in the morning (like 6:30) the first day. Plus flights home tended to be late at night. Worked well - hotels kept luggage in a ballroom until time to depart, but on the last day did not have a room to use. Lodges will also call you if aurora are out.

Although we did the land tour/cruise tour with HAL, indeed, doing the land tour first is a MUST, in our opinion. Loved both parts of the entire trip but being able to enjoy and relax on the ship was a great way to finish out this extraordinary experience. Have fun! :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

We did the land tour first and then the cruise on the Coral Princess. On the land tour portion we were constantly on the go, so it was nice to relax and not have to worry about packing and unpacking the one bag we each had with us on the land tour. It was a great trip. Have fun!

We cruised first and then toured. Coming from Ky, we had a 4 hour time change. It was nice to have the first day as a sea day to relax on ship! I was so excited to be taking this adventure in Alaska, that I really didn't care which we did first, just let DH pick! Also, saving the best for last. One thing I think it might be important to think about is time of year. If doing land tour first in May, could still have snow!

We have done both. Our first Alaska cruisetour involved the land portion first and then the cruise southbound. We thought it worked well in that the luggage had to be picked up at the lodges early, meaning getting up early. That made the land portion somewhat tiring, but the seven day cruise allowed plenty of time to recover.

Also our first cruisetour involved our doing a land vacation by car from Indiana to Seattle/Olympia. We flew to Anchorage, did the land tour, then the cruise, then the transfer back to Seattle where we picked up our car at the hotel in Seattle where we had stayed pre-cruise and post-cruise prior to driving back to Indiana through states we had never visited.

Our second cruisetour was cruise first followed by the land tour. The reason for cruise first was the difference in cost. Northbound cruises are more expensive than southbound and cost was an important criteria for one of the couples in our party of six. The cruise was relaxing; the land tour was a little tiring. The land tour ended in Anchorage one evening. Our flight out of Anchorage was at 11:30 at night to Chicago. So we had to kill a day in Anchorage while waiting for our flight. We managed to do so with a visit to the museum and some sight seeing. We thought we would sleep on the flight home and get some rest that way. We found that sleeping restfully on an overnight flight was difficult.

We enjoyed both, but the tour then the cruise would be our recommendation. However, we plan a back to back cruise only from Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver for our next Alaska trip.