3/29 Magic: Lemons to Lemonade

Rinderoo

I'm having a good time on the Magic but due to weather we couldn't dock in Roatan today. Many many disappointed passengers.

Captain just announced that today (4/2) is a Sea Day and tomorrow is an unplanned stop at Costa Maya, 7am-2pm.

Waiting for a movie at 2pm (Hobbit) which was "downloaded by Carnival at great expense" per the CD.

Got to give the cruise line credit for working on alternatives, and we're even supposed to get some shore excursions for CM later today.

I'm having a good time on the Magic but due to weather we couldn't dock in Roatan today. Many many disappointed passengers.

Captain just announced that today (4/2) is a Sea Day and tomorrow is an unplanned stop at Costa Maya, 7am-2pm.

Waiting for a movie at 2pm (Hobbit) which was "downloaded by Carnival at great expense" per the CD.

Got to give the cruise line credit for working on alternatives, and we're even supposed to get some shore excursions for CM later today.

Thank you for having a positive outlook on things! I would be disappointed if we missed Roatan but I would understand that safety comes first! I would also be looking forward to Costa Maya!

Thanks for being positive after missing Roatan. Sounds like everything else is going good for you, enjoy your cruise & have a drink :D !

On our second or third cruise we had a port change because of the weather.

Many on our cruise were upset because they were looking forward to Bonair. We ended up going to Isla Margarita Venezuela and honestly it's one of my most memorable stops.

Glad you are making the best of it!

Oh--you should like Costa Maya. Cruises from Galveston don't call on it much. We have been there twice--just there March 11--we looked for a cruise that would stop there the second time. The first time was in 2011. You don't have to find an excursion there last minute.

When you get off the ship, use the shuttle on the pier to get to the tourist area. Then, after some pictures, go into the tourist area and proceed straight to the back where there is a parking lot of busses and shuttles for excursions. Go across the parking lot and out of the area all together to take a taxi. Tell them you want to go to Tropicante at Mahahual.

When you get there, Steve, the American owner, can set you up with loungers or chairs on the beach and you can order food and drink--great food and service. It's a great place and Steve goes out of his way to accommodate. He also has free wifi and will let you use his cell phone for free to call back to the states.

Here's hoping you have a great day at Costa Maya. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

Last October on the Breeze, we missed Grand Cayman due to wind. There was a damn-near riot at guest services. That morning, while all the commotion was going on, I ended up meeting two extremely beautiful girls at the lobby bar, and soon after was in the hot tub with said hot girls. Long story short, best cruise ever...

That's what I thought too! The mahogany bay port site says the emerald princess and the regatta was to be docked there today. So I'm trying to understand how the magic too?? Reason being I'm to be there next week on splendor. If emerald princess is able to dock there I'm hope splendor can too!

That's what I thought too! The mahogany bay port site says the emerald princess and the regatta was to be docked there today. So I'm trying to understand how the magic too?? Reason being I'm to be there next week on splendor. If emerald princess is able to dock there I'm hope splendor can too!

Mahogany Bay has two spots for docking, but there are ships which are 'downtown' and tender in and bypass Mahogany's cruise ship village. So there can be more than two ships at Roatan. I think the issue with the Magic is her size, and the channel in to Roatan being narrow and more shallow.

Thanks. I have found different and confusing information on the Internet about which ships are where between Coxen hole and mahogany bay. That helps. Next week they are calling for some wind again. Im hoping we are able to dock there on the Splendor!

We have been to Mahogany Bay on the Valor and had no problem docking there. The Dream was in port with us the same day, so larger ships are able to dock.

As far as the number of ships in port, Mahogany Bay is only for Carnival and Princess. I guess all the other lines use Coxen Hole.

I hope you are able to dock. Enjoy your cruise.

We had a Dream sailing in Jan 2014 in which we missed 2 of 4 ports and got rained on at the other two. Talk about disappointing :( We had a group of 20 new cruisers along with us too :eek: The seas were very high and all but 1/2 of a sea day was wrecked by weather. You gotta make the best of it though because its still your vacation ! We missed Roatan and Belize and got poured on in Cozumel and much of our sea days. We didn't have a single beach day on the whole trip LOL. They tried to plan extra activties but didn't quite pull it off. The staff was nice though and they did try. We received a 25% off voucher for a future sailing as a consolation. That was especially nice and we know that they didn't owe that to us.

Always make the best of vacation :)

Oh--you should like Costa Maya. Cruises from Galveston don't call on it much. We have been there twice--just there March 11--we looked for a cruise that would stop there the second time. The first time was in 2011. You don't have to find an excursion there last minute.

When you get off the ship, use the shuttle on the pier to get to the tourist area. Then, after some pictures, go into the tourist area and proceed straight to the back where there is a parking lot of busses and shuttles for excursions. Go across the parking lot and out of the area all together to take a taxi. Tell them you want to go to Tropicante at Mahahual.

When you get there, Steve, the American owner, can set you up with loungers or chairs on the beach and you can order food and drink--great food and service. It's a great place and Steve goes out of his way to accommodate. He also has free wifi and will let you use his cell phone for free to call back to the states.

Here's hoping you have a great day at Costa Maya. Bon Voyage!

I have always heard Costa Maya is a great port! Thanks for your information, I hope on our cruise this summer we cancel Belize and go there.

I'm glad that the Carnival Captain and his crew don't take unnecessary chances by trying to get into port, or tenders " at all costs". They don't make those decisions lightly. Crew members like the ports too, because many of them can take a few hours off from their extremely busy schedules.

We had a Dream sailing in Jan 2014 in which we missed 2 of 4 ports and got rained on at the other two. Talk about disappointing :( We had a group of 20 new cruisers along with us too :eek: The seas were very high and all but 1/2 of a sea day was wrecked by weather. You gotta make the best of it though because its still your vacation ! We missed Roatan and Belize and got poured on in Cozumel and much of our sea days. We didn't have a single beach day on the whole trip LOL. They tried to plan extra activties but didn't quite pull it off. The staff was nice though and they did try. We received a 25% off voucher for a future sailing as a consolation. That was especially nice and we know that they didn't owe that to us.

Always make the best of vacation :)

That's nice they gave you 25% off voucher. On one cruise we missed half of the ports too and battled high seas for two days till everybody including crew members were down. We received a couple dollars port fee.

I was on the 3/29 cruise as well. I found it disappointing that there was no explanation as to how the Princess ship got in but we didn't.

then I saw a message on john's facebook page thanking him for carnival letting another ship in when we couldn't make it.

Anyways, I heard a couple different stories:

1) The Princess ship made it in first, if we had beaten them, then we would have gotten in.

2) With the Dream class of ship, we couldn't get in with the winds no matter what.

It would have been nice for it to be clear from the captain which it was other than the winds (which according to the TV with <=20 knots).

Kevin

Last October on the Breeze, we missed Grand Cayman due to wind. There was a damn-near riot at guest services. That morning, while all the commotion was going on, I ended up meeting two extremely beautiful girls at the lobby bar, and soon after was in the hot tub with said hot girls. Long story short, best cruise ever...

Chuckles..lemons to lemonade as they say....lol....:).

OP you are cool to keep it positive...hope you had some magical ship time...this is the deal to me...I just love being on a ship on the water..and have never has sea sick issues...as i age i will bring stuff..but sounds like you have your sea legs...movies on a ship I find especially fun, I just focus more and it is another favorite thing LOL..movies..remember watching Australia on the Paradise in the smaller lounge...not even set up really for movies they had a screen and it was just so relaxing on those half circle couches...enjoy the ship and extras...and Costa Maya...Sincerely, Sarah

Edited by sjn911