Blocked toilet

After the first overflow, one might hope that beside cleaning up the mess, the mechanical problem that caused the overflow would be repaired.

After the second overflow, one might hope that beside cleaning up the mess, there was an open cabin available to which the passengers could be moved. Failing that one should expect a serious and intense effort to prevent another overflow.

After the third overflow, one has to accept that staff is unwilling or unable to provide the passengers with a cabin free from health hazards. Simply cleaning up the mess after the fact does not prevent exposure to disease.

I agree!

So how about an update?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I met with the Maintenance Manager yesterday and while I was ashore I understand they swapped out the whole unit and I'm pleased to say that this morning all is well. Whilst going ashore in the tender I spotted the Guest Services Manager and asked for a meeting with him. He came to my cabin and we spent 40 minutes discussing what had happened. He acknowledged that the smell in the room was unacceptable and he feels the carpeting in the cabin needs to be taken up and replaced. He is hoping to do that today. However, I have heard nothing from RCI UK who asked me twice to private message them which I did, and no reply to either of my two emails to Michael Bayley's office which is very disappointing.

I met with the Maintenance Manager yesterday and while I was ashore I understand they swapped out the whole unit and I'm pleased to say that this morning all is well. Whilst going ashore in the tender I spotted the Guest Services Manager and asked for a meeting with him. He came to my cabin and we spent 40 minutes discussing what had happened. He acknowledged that the smell in the room was unacceptable and he feels the carpeting in the cabin needs to be taken up and replaced. He is hoping to do that today. However, I have heard nothing from RCI UK who asked me twice to private message them which I did, and no reply to either of my two emails to Michael Bayley's office which is very disappointing.

I'm glad the shipboard staff finally did something about the problem. Hopefully some new carpet will get rid of the smell.

A few years on Carnival, the cabin next to me had a pipe burst and flooded the cabin. My cabin had collateral damage - a rain shower inside my room. My desk area was all wet (including my laptop which thankfully was shut and survived the deluge) and the carpet was soaked. I had to endure damp carpet the rest of the cruise (four more days) because it never did completely dry. It wasn't a balcony cabin, so there was no way to get outside air in to help speed the drying process. The people in the cabin next to me got moved to another cabin. I got strawberries, a $100 OBC, and a bottle of wine :rolleyes: I haven't sailed on Carnival since.

I think your problem was much worse than mine so hopefully Royal will step up and not try to appease you with strawberries (although they are delicious :D )

I usually do not wade into toilet threads but this one is really messy, and rather smelly too.:( From the posts so far it seems that there are a lot of toilet malfunctions on RCL ships. Perhaps RCL should re-focus their engineering wizardry away from flow riders, zip lines, robot bartenders, North Stars etc. and design a toilet system that actually works in the real world. Heck, I'd even pay per poop for a system that worked.

Last year our two friendsfriends were on deck 3. Legend of the seas They had rooms next to each other

Well the toilet over flowed and went into both rooms. Carpets were soaked .

Well here the bad part Both couples were extremely sick. They had the nori virus. So think about them running to the bathroom all night sloshing in the wet carpet.

Well staff did come in with water vacuums and huge fans. Being sick in a damp room with a big fan was not comfortable and wet feet

Because they were sick they were quarantined to there cabin. I mean really quarantine Yellow tape across the door and all. They did try order room service but the ship doctor had strict instructions on what food they could have and they were in lock down three full days.

They thought they were in prison.

They came back on the last day of their prison sentence and shampooed the carpets. The couples were finally allowed to go to pool deck for sunshine. They took naps there and they never wanted to see the cabin again.

Since then we have had some old laughs

And I will never book a cabin lower than deck 8. Yes I'm diamond too.

I got strawberries, a $100 OBC, and a bottle of wine :rolleyes: I haven't sailed on Carnival since.

That $100 OBC costs them *maybe* $10 if you use it for drinks. :(

I did a cruise on Carnival a few years ago. Someone on the ship stole some items from my bags. I know it was them because I had a security tab on my luggage so that I would know if they had been accessed and the tab was intact when I arrived at the airport and I watched the luggage get placed on the bus with me and removed from the bus. The only place that I did not have eyes on it was after I gave it to Carnival for them to take to my room. I complained and they gave me some worthless onboard credits which I just left as tip to the staff (hopefully NOT the same ones who stole my stuff from my bag). It wasn't a large monetary value, but it was the principle of the thing. Plus, one of the things that they stole was an SD card for a camera and that meant that I did not have an extra one just in case. Let's just say that it left a bad enough impression that I have not sailed on Carnival (or any other cruise line) since then. I hoping that this won't happen on my upcoming trip. If it does, I'll just have to drink even more than I'm already planning on drinking (it's an all-inclusive).

Edited by NavyVet1959

I suspect that the many who have suggested the OP's status contributed nothing to the problem would have, had that status not been mentioned pointed out that given such a low post count the OP was just coming to the site to complain.

The fact that OP's toilet was not fixed on the first or second attempt suggests sloppy work and even sloppier supervision.

Very glad to hear that the issue is in the process of being resolved. Sewage smells are never pleasant, especially in the confines of a cabin.

Maybe the OP could enlighten us as to what steps he has taken already and that may or may not confirm your points. :confused:

Perhaps a re-read of the OP and subsequent posts would provide the enlightenment being sought.

Well what are they supposed to do after the fact? ...

Fix the problem!

The fact that OP's toilet was not fixed on the first or second attempt suggests sloppy work and even sloppier supervision

Fix the problem!

One can't assume the problem was sloppy work or supervision. Some idiot on the same drain branch could be causing the issue by continuously flushing prohibited items.

Proof that Carnival has better toilets

All cruise lines use similar designs for toilet - and having idiots successfully flush prohibited items doesn't prove anything.

Perhaps a re-read of the OP and subsequent posts would provide the enlightenment being sought.

So I did at your suggestion but I still didn't get the 'enlightenment' sought. I was just looking for the steps taken and people he talked to on the ship, not who he PM'ed or emailed. I don't care that he mentioned his status. He was understandably angry. Sometimes in anger we aren't always clear and some times on CC we get distracted by the irrelevant. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One can't assume the problem was sloppy work or supervision. Some idiot on the same drain branch could be causing the issue by continuously flushing prohibited items.

I believe the OP posted subsequently that eventually a major part was replaced and that resolved the problem. Apparently the cause was not a blocked line due to some incompatible item being flushed. But even if it were, good supervision would have made sure that a) the affected passenger(s) were fully informed, and b) a serious attempt was made to find and inform the miscreant of their error.

I believe the OP posted subsequently that eventually a major part was replaced and that resolved the problem. Apparently the cause was not a blocked line due to some incompatible item being flushed. But even if it were, good supervision would have made sure that a) the affected passenger(s) were fully informed, and b) a serious attempt was made to find and inform the miscreant of their error.

For clarification only: The first time did coincide with a blockage in the line; the second and third incidents were not due to a blockage in the line. Eventually the whole toilet unit was replaced; and because of the smell they also said that the whole carpet needed to be taken up and replaced and the whole cabin sanitised, which they did. There has been no problem since, either with the toilet or the smell.

For clarification only: The first time did coincide with a blockage in the line; the second and third incidents were not due to a blockage in the line. Eventually the whole toilet unit was replaced; and because of the smell they also said that the whole carpet needed to be taken up and replaced and the whole cabin sanitised, which they did. There has been no problem since, either with the toilet or the smell.

I"m glad that they (hopefully) fixed your toilet issue. However IMHO that begs the question. You enter a contract with the cruise company. For the passenger's part they have to abide by RCI rules and pay the tariff. (for brevity's sake)

The cruise line, for their part of the contract provides accommodations, meals, entertainment etc as stated.

I think the AVERAGE cruiser could REASONABLY expect a functional toilet for the complete duration of their cruise. ANd the average cruiser may REASONABLY accept a glitch in the plumbing. BUt THREE days in a row? And wet and smelly carpet? That's breach of the cruise line's responsibility implied in the contract. So I think there should be some financial compensation for that breach of contract. We may all have our own idea of what is equitable.... from NOTHING, to a full refund, but probably something in between is more reasonable.

OP I would be very unhappy if I were in your position. You look forward to going on a cruise to get away from many everyday problems and you wake up and can't even use the potty in your cabin. SUCKS. Hope the rest of the cruise is fantastic.

Here's a tip for anyone who hasn't experienced a flooded bathroom - keep your room steward's business card somewhere handy. Having experienced a flooded bathroom as the result of an overflowing pipe recently on the Voyager - maintenance are hard to get in contact with.

However, your room steward will respond to your call promptly and will get maintenance to your room asap.

We only experienced a flooded bathroom once but it was very stressful.

Experiencing it 3 mornings in a row would be unacceptable.

I am glad that the OP's bathroom issue has finally been fixed.

Edited by aussielozzie18

This happened to us our my last Australia New Zealand cruise with Radiance in Feb where the entire deck got clogged and I asked my stateroom attendant and got a technical answer:

It is a problem on all Radiance class ship. If one guest flushed something that got clogged, the entire deck will be affected. It is a problem with the ship's piping system.

According to him, this problem got corrected in the Voyager class. If one toilet got clogged, only the adjacent cabin's toilet will be affected.. Unlike in the Radiance class, the entire deck will.

Hope this helps.

Edited by roquejo

Hi lowly emerald here. Just kidding i don't take offense to people who like to show off their status, a lot of people put it on their signature or list 150 cruises they've been on. We work hard to pay for those cruises and most people get a bit happy to see they've earned the next level. That said. Most of us do work hard to pay for our cruises and look forward to them , heck dream about them sometimes for months before we go. So if I then had 3days of smelling septic water in my room I would think a free dinner would be nice. Or something to say hey sorry about the inconvince. So many people take offense when someone comes here to say something went wrong. Isn't tat what this board is for? Talk, ask questions, get advice, get excited vent about cruising?!

My view:

The first time: $100 OBC.

Second: Another $200 & every attempt to move to same or better cabin class.

Third: Another $400.

Why? Because RCCL talks about how they're there to give you great holiday. Being up for hours at night dealing with this is not what we want to be doing. A few free drinks each for a couple is a reasonable way to say sorry.

$100 OBC probably has a real value of about $20 to RCCL when used on drinks or services. That's really a small price to pay to make a customer happy again.

This is hilarious .........

blocked toilets, cabins full of poo.

no formal nights on quantum class ships.

too much emphasis on robotics bars and fat blokes and waddling women that don't want to look gorgeous on a couple of nights on a cruise.

no topless bathing as the ship is full of prudes.

making you ADVANCE book for restaurants you probably won't end up eating in because you went on pizza overload in sorrentos .......

What's RCI coming to ???

still ...... They won't have a bad word said about them lol