Farewell Celebrity Century (2 Threads Merged)

C 2 C

Hi Arno,

We love this image! Would we be allowed to showcase it on our Social channels? If you can upload it to CelebrityStorybook.com, we would love to feature it!

Just posted there.

We were also treated to a serenade by the Acapella group on board while dining with Captain Pagonis in Murano for our anniversary celebration.

IMG_0820_zpsxspmrxij.jpg

We sailed her round trip from San Diego to Hawaii in 2012. It was a great cruise and she is a grand ship. I was looking forward to sailing on her again, but didn't get to do it. I loved her.

Was anyone else onboard Century for the memorable crossing in 2006 when we transferred an injured passenger to the carrier, Wasp:

At%20The%20Rails_zpsoobrmqie.jpg

WOW, that had to be pretty dramatic for your TA crossing.

A passenger had to be taken off the Century when we were ready to enter the last of the Panama Locks before Panama City. We watched the passenger wave at us at she was being transferred to the ambulance alongside the canal.

It was Christmas Eve day, she had broken her leg while on the ship.:(

WOW, that had to be pretty dramatic for your TA crossing.

A passenger had to be taken off the Century when we were ready to enter the last of the Panama Locks before Panama City. We watched the passenger wave at us at she was being transferred to the ambulance alongside the canal.

It was Christmas Eve day, she had broken her leg while on the ship.:(

A guest shared this story with us in Michael's Club during the President's Cruise. Thank you for sharing this image as well!

Was anyone else onboard Century for the memorable crossing in 2006 when we transferred an injured passenger to the carrier, Wasp:

Definitely remember being with both of you as well as some "old time" regular cruisers. Also remember very well the other issues that happened during that particualr cruise.

Do you remember waiting for Century to arrive in Barcelona when she was delayed due to rudder issues? We were there with you as well. Strange for all of us waiting for the ship to arrive so we could embark. Many of us went outside the terminal building to see her "arrival".

So glad we were able to spend a few weeks on her in January this year. It was sad to say good-bye to her.

A guest shared this story with us in Michael's Club during the President's Cruise. Thank you for sharing this image as well!

Those who witness that emergency departure will never forget it. I remember thinking, her and her companion will now be spending Christmas, in a hospital in Panama instead of on a 14 day Holiday cruise.

I have learned from this and other experiences to not sweat the small stuff. I try not to use my energy in negative or non productive ways in planning and on my actual cruise or vacation.

Stuff happens and oftentimes outside of our control.

I remember being invited to view Century when it first came to New York. What a great experience. Had the opportunity to sail a couple of times in a Royal Suite on this magnificent ship. We still have the official poster framed and mounted on the wall with an artist's rendition of the Century.

We have just arrived home from a B2B on Century, first the President's Cruise then Singapore to Dubai. She is being handed over in very good condition, and quite a few of the crew are staying with her to work with the Chinese company for a change over and training period.

Century is one of our favourite ships and we were glad to have a last chance to sail on her.

Sheila

We are in Dubai aboard the Azamara Quest and stood out on our balcony and watched the Century leave for her final journey. It was sad to see her go. I have enjoyed sailing on her and wish her luck in the future. She will be missed.

Garry

We spent thirty-five nights on the Century last fall. Century's sale had already been announced, and it was interesting to me that a great number of the staff already knew which Celebrity ship they would be assigned to next.

Our waiter told us: some of the stuff are asked to train the new chinese stuff how to act on a cruise ship

They did not have the final contract in hand at that time (Feb 2015) - more ore less the comment: pending on paiment how we will act.....

Edited by MarkusToe

I saw this thread at lunch time today and just had to read it all the way through so I could also leave my tribute of sorts...

I sailed only once on the Celebrity Century in the Spring of 2007 for a short 4 day trip in the Caribbean with port stops in Cozumel and Key West. It was my first cruise with Celebrity and my second cruise overall. For me, the cruise was special on a number of levels as this cruise was to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of having met my partner (we met on my first cruise from the year before). Having thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with Celebrity, I knew then that this would most likely be the cruise line of choice I would spend the most time on. In reality, it has definitely worked out that way.

Back in the day, there was not the ease or convenience of smartphones with a camera or the affordability of digital cameras. I was most likely too awe-struck to remember to take pictures at the time as I was overwhelmed by the idea of being on such a magnificent ship and traveling to exotic locations. Certainly I appreciate all those that have posted photos (and will continue to do so). And also, this was at a time before I had ever heard of Cruise Critic or even knew what the value of the website provided. I'm very fortunate to have come into cruising at this time and look back fondly on all my travels and the wonderful folks that I have met along the way.

There were many fond memories created while on the Century and they will be with me for a long time.

At%20The%20Rails_zpsoobrmqie.jpg

I was also on that TA. One of the most memorable moments of my life was to see the sailors lined up as they departed. Goose bumps moments.

Perhaps the highlight of our cruising career was celebrating our 100 th cruise point (old system the equivalent of reaching Zenith back in 2008) and our 40th anniversary onboard Century from Amsterdam to the coast of Norway. Our favourite Captain Pagonis was at the helm. In the pre-Concordia event we had the good fortune of being on the bridge from Amsterdam to the North Sea and again while cruising the Fjords.

We were even featured in the Captain's Club News after our exceptional experience.

Century%20in%20Flam_zps3aaqonr4.jpg

We were lucky enough to sail the Century twice, including this cruise in 2007. they had just installed the martini bar and we were there every night. We will always have fond memories of the Century.

Dave

We just returned from our Century cruise, Singapore to Dubai (next to last cruise) and loved the ship. It shows its age here and there, especially with occasionally the hot water is not so hot, but loved the smaller ship.

We just returned from our Century cruise, Singapore to Dubai (next to last cruise) and loved the ship. It shows its age here and there, especially with occasionally the hot water is not so hot, but loved the smaller ship.

Sounds wonderful and glad you enjoyed your cruise... welcome back!! :)

I was also on that TA. One of the most memorable moments of my life was to see the sailors lined up as they departed. Goose bumps moments.

I was also on that TA, my first crossing on Century and indeed ... I still get goose bumps when I look at this little video I made that morning:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iAUVytFMHGzkE5ZtfIUBSdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I later heard, on a next Celebrity Cruise, from the Cruise Director, that both evacuated patients (while the first one was getting evacuated, another one thought: I better take this "opportunity" to leave the ship!!) recovered well.

Unfortunately during that same sailing, we lost also one passenger ... jumped :( so we ended up arriving almost half a day late in Miami.

On a "lighter" note, on the last 3 or 4 days we seemed to run out of everything: butter, milk, eggs ... indeed a memorable, unforgettable crossing!

I just got off the Century last weekend in Dubai and it is so sad to see her leaving the Celebrity float because she is simply one of the nicest ships, perfect size and one of the last ships with wooden promenade deck :cool:

I hope the Chinese will take good care of her! :)

I was also on that TA, my first crossing on Century and indeed ... I still get goose bumps when I look at this little video I made that morning:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iAUVytFMHGzkE5ZtfIUBSdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I later heard, on a next Celebrity Cruise, from the Cruise Director, that both evacuated patients (while the first one was getting evacuated, another one thought: I better take this "opportunity" to leave the ship!!) recovered well.

Unfortunately during that same sailing, we lost also one passenger ... jumped :( so we ended up arriving almost half a day late in Miami.

On a "lighter" note, on the last 3 or 4 days we seemed to run out of everything: butter, milk, eggs ... indeed a memorable, unforgettable crossing!

I just got off the Century last weekend in Dubai and it is so sad to see her leaving the Celebrity float because she is simply one of the nicest ships, perfect size and one of the last ships with wooden promenade deck :cool:

I hope the Chinese will take good care of her! :)

I did remember that someone had jumped, but I had forgotten about all the things they ran out of. I also remember thinking how fortunate we were that the seas were so calm. Made the rescue so much easier for everyone, including the passengers. Imagine practically idling as we were doing in rough seas.

You were fortunate to have sailed her to Dubai. I would love to have been on that cruise.