What can we expect at Sabitini?

deborahjo

It's northern Italian food so while there will be pasta, most of the dishes are not what you'd find in your local family Italian restaurant.

It's not my favorite Princess restaurant. I've been to Sabatini's several times over the years and every time, I hope it's better. Went last year and I don't think I'll go again. Had the lobster trio and it was awful: rubbery, bland and tasteless.

If it were me, I'd try to exchange the gift to the Crown Grill. :) Others will disagree, I'm sure.

If you keep your Sabatini's gift I hope you enjoy it. I do like the Crown Grill better. However, back in November my friend and I went to Sabatini's and had a really good meal. You just never know for sure. We also went to the Crown Grill in November and it was great. In January of this year the Crown Grill was just average. Depends on the cook I would imagine.

We also prefer Sabatini's over Crown Grill -- great atmosphere! :)

Keep in mind that it's NORTHERN Italian food. The veal is excellent! :)

If on a ship (Coral or Island) with a Bayou, we do also very much enjoy going to Bayou.

LuLu

Order the chicken.

Too often I've been disappointed by Sabatini's entrees although I enjoy the other courses & usually the service. I was hesitant to only order chicken when paying to eat at a specialty restaurant. I ordered the chicken recently & enjoyed it very much.

Petto di Pollo con Asiago e Pomodorini, Salsa al Marsala

chicken supreme stuffed with eggplant, asiago and sun-dried tomatoes, marsala sauce

Although if choosing just one specialty restaurant our choice would be the Crown Grill.

Edited by Astro Flyer

So many different opinions. But that is why I ask. I may get up the nerve to try the veal. We always explore new foods and this would give us a chance to do so. Thank you all.

The veal is my favorite! If they are serving the short rib pasta I highly recommend that too. I had never had that before (even after living for 5 years in Italy) and I went home, looked a recipe up on the internet and made a fairly accurate version. It is now one of our extended family's favorites.

I highly recommend the Burrata appetizer, if you like cheese.

Also, with either the steak or the veal, I always order a grilled lobster tail from the Lobster 3 ways, to do surf and turf. They are always happy to do that for me.

It's northern Italian food so while there will be pasta, most of the dishes are not what you'd find in your local family Italian restaurant.

It's not my favorite Princess restaurant. I've been to Sabatini's several times over the years and every time, I hope it's better. Went last year and I don't think I'll go again. Had the lobster trio and it was awful: rubbery, bland and tasteless.

If it were me, I'd try to exchange the gift to the Crown Grill. :) Others will disagree, I'm sure.

No disagreement here!! The Crown Grill is the best. We went to Sabatini's a couple of times and finally gave up.

The veal is my favorite! If they are serving the short rib pasta I highly recommend that too. I had never had that before (even after living for 5 years in Italy) and I went home, looked a recipe up on the internet and made a fairly accurate version. It is now one of our extended family's favorites.

Now that they have 3 pasta options each night it's always available and is also my favorite & my wife likes the seafood pasta. :D

Pasta

Sabatini’s Signature Collection

Spaghetti allo Scoglio

langostino, diver scallops, tiger shrimp, vongole and black mussels in cherry tomato sauce

Penne con Brasato di Manzo

braised short rib over penne, grana padano

Manicotti alla Sorrentina

spinach, ricotta & fontina cheese roulade on tomato coulis

WOW...living 5 years it Italia...La Dolce Vita! :D

I highly recommend the Burrata appetizer, if you like cheese.

I always get the burrata & we share the calamari appetizer.

Edited by Astro Flyer

No disagreement here!! The Crown Grill is the best. We went to Sabatini's a couple of times and finally gave up.

No price break for sp rest ANY night, including the first. Crown Grill 1st night/ok filet and just ok side dishes/service very good/ ...not motivated to go back

Sabatini's Night #2....understaffed.....reservation at 7 had to wait about 10-15 for him to get table for 2 but a very nice table...

got spiced shrimp & she brought lobster trio...should have gotten these main dishes first as it took too long & we got too hungry...my risotto was best food all night.........

again, not motivated to go back as $50 charge + bottle of wine which seems the thing to do = 100

Adagio before dinner/waitress standing at next table for 5 min talking and "did not see us" until DH went to bar. I ordered call martini, dirty grey goose.....I would have gone back to bar tender & asked what she put in drink as I felt nothing....usually with little food, I can tell I am drinking a martini....

we did not go back there the rest of cruise. Again, not inspired!

Looking at both Menus I do like Crown Grill better. Will share with DH and see which he would like. I guess I could go to Guest Services once on board and see if we can change restrauants? since the price is the same for both if DH would like.

Edited by deborahjo

Looking at both Menus I do like Crown Grill better. Will share with DH and see which he would like. I guess I could go to Guest Services once on board and see if we can change restaurants? since the price is the same for both if DH would like.

Guest services is not the place to go. Just go to the specialty restaurant you want to change to or call the DINE line from your cabin telephone.

Did specialty dining for the first time on Ruby, was torn between Sabatini and Crown.

FWIW our main dining room waiter highly recommended Crown...

Some of our preference came from looking forward to the Seabass and steaks.. I can say we weren't disappointed. We picked up the lobster main course as our appetizer so we really indulged ourselves :D

Of course if Italian is your thing....

I prefer Sabatini's to CG....my husband prefers CG so we make sure to eat at both each cruise. I love the Burratta as my appetizer and get the Penne con Brasato di Manzo (braised short rib over penne, grana padano) as my main dish. It is so good that I want to lick the plate clean!!!

I have never been to either but are going to try one of these out on a formal night on our next cruise.

Is there a selection of fish / seafood and is it pretty good in the Crown Grill?

I love Italian food but just know I would fill up on pasta and bread -- hoping to actually be hungry for this meal.

We were going to try Sabatini's for dinner this past week, but every time we walked through the area (near the photo racks, Sabatini's, and the Wheelhouse bar) it smelled as though the restrooms on either end of the photo gallery area were being piped into the restaurant.

I became seriously nauseous from the stank and my husband nixed the idea of even attempting Sabatini's for dinner. When we took our niece and nephew through the area, they declined as well, despite our offer of paying their cover charge.

Edited by furb

I can't tell you what to expect as we did the Crab Shack in lieu of Sabbatini's. But, I can't say that we greatly regret not doing Sabbatini's instead. Every night we had to walk past it to get to MDR and the scent was Heavenly. Definitely doing it next cruise!