Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

no picking on there were some nice people I met, but the dynamics certainly changed and there were some loud ones. Mind you, more sea days but having done TA's in the past I don't recall this type of congestion.

Part of the blame falls on the stupid art auctions, since they had their own space and then took the Ocean Bar for over 5 hours. grrrrr.

Now you quit picking on the those Coastal passengers, you never know many of them could be going on to Alaska, like we usually do.:D:D:D

So sorry, I did not intend to pick on anybody. But there was a real difference in the atmosphere onboard. I couldn't hear my daughter sitting on the other side of the table at dinner although there were less people in the dining room the noise level was nearly deafening. I was pushed more on the last 4 days than on the first 16 and never saw one bathrobe in public areas until post San Diego.

Now you quit picking on the those Coastal passengers, you never know many of them could be going on to Alaska, like we usually do.:D:D:D

Sorry, Melodie - present company excepted, of course.:D The issues usually lie with those who have never cruised and then the group within that group that just wants to do their own thing, and above all - not listen. Having witnessed some yelling at the crew just because they felt the rules were for everyone else and not them, and the experience was just not living up to their expectations so of course it is the crew's fault. No regular cruiser would do that. Phew, am I off the hook now?:o

I can only imagine the joy you brought to the students and staff of the school in Guatemala. One question - how did you find out about their needs, through your church, or other source? It would be nice to be able to do something somewhere (even on a much smaller scale) next time we cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I can only imagine the joy you brought to the students and staff of the school in Guatemala. One question - how did you find out about their needs, through your church, or other source? It would be nice to be able to do something somewhere (even on a much smaller scale) next time we cruise.

actually from our guide. He was including a visit free of charge as he supports the school. He included the website and I looked and my interest was piqued.

Since this post is very special . . . it will be my 5,000th on CC, I wanted it to be on this thread.

I think what I will do the next time we cruise is see if there are any places that are in need, and will solicit donations from friends (possibly the spending kind) that would enable me to purchase supplies at the port city, rather than schlepping them in suitcases, etc. I would also check with folks on the roll call to see if they were interested in joining the activity, with the hope they would like to contribute in some way as well. Thanks for a great cruise, and for a wonderful idea for the future.

Gerry

I think next year we'll be collecting stuff for Fanning Island, but that is something HAL participates in.

I think that is the plan as per SusieK. I will be doing some checking on this once I get my ducks in order when I am home.

Have to pick up the dogs tomorrow. grrrr. three bounding idiots. Marley will be too excited. He's still a puppy. All 100+ pounds of him.

Have to pick up the dogs tomorrow. grrrr. three bounding idiots. Marley will be too excited. He's still a puppy. All 100+ pounds of him.

You know you love it (them)!:D

BTW When we walked in doggie said "You're back, got any chicken?)

Edited by Vict0riann

I think next year we'll be collecting stuff for Fanning Island, but that is something HAL participates in.

Fanning Island: I have been there on the Volendam, 2012.

I would suggest one does due diligence before commiting any funds/effort here. Based upon what I experienced, I am suspicious. We had a man on our cruise who tried to extract donations from the passengers for these island people. Are the people needy? Yes. It is Third World--or beyond. Friendly and welcoming people with a very rickety pier where crew members had to lift me and many others up from the tenders and down into the tenders.

Why does HAL keep including this island in their itineraries? There is nothing there of tourist interest unless one wants to see what a very impoverished island looks like.

I would suggest one does due diligence before commiting any funds/effort here. Based upon what I experienced, I am suspicious. We had a man on our cruise who tried to extract donations from the passengers for these island people. Are the people needy? Yes. It is Third World--or beyond. Friendly and welcoming people with a very rickety pier where crew members had to lift me and many others up from the tenders and down into the tenders.

Why does HAL keep including this island in their itineraries? There is nothing there of tourist interest unless one wants to see what a very impoverished island looks like.

I would be interested to see any photos you took? Was it a passenger trying to get donations or a crew member?

I do not have any photos that I can post. They were all 35mm. The one soliciting funds was a passenger supposedly representing a charitable organization.

Fanning Island is not like what I have read about concerning the efforts of HAL in Corinto (I think, that is the right place).

Please do due diligence. Some of my travel group as well as I "smelled" something that just did not seem right. We may be wrong, of course.

I do not have any photos that I can post. They were all 35mm. The one soliciting funds was a passenger supposedly representing a charitable organization.

Fanning Island is not like what I have read about concerning the efforts of HAL in Corinto (I think, that is the right place).

Please do due diligence. Some of my travel group as well as I "smelled" something that just did not seem right. We may be wrong, of course.

we'll definitely keep your comments in mind. Thanks.

thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty careful about this stuff. the Children's school was definitely legit and we will check things out as carefully as possible.

much appreciated.

You know you love it (them)!:D

BTW When we walked in doggie said "You're back, got any chicken?)

yes I do love them. But they are work and get in the way of unpacking - LOL.

love it - freeze dried chicken by any chance? we do the liver bites as they are made in Canada :)

Wonderful photos. :)

The children look so thrilled with your gifts.

It was truly moving Sail. I can't find the words to describe it. It was simply a marvellous experience with such wonderful children and their very lovely, sweet teacher.

An unforgettable day. :)

no picking on there were some nice people I met, but the dynamics certainly changed and there were some loud ones. Mind you, more sea days but having done TA's in the past I don't recall this type of congestion.

Part of the blame falls on the stupid art auctions, since they had their own space and then took the Ocean Bar for over 5 hours. grrrrr.

So sorry, I did not intend to pick on anybody. But there was a real difference in the atmosphere onboard. I couldn't hear my daughter sitting on the other side of the table at dinner although there were less people in the dining room the noise level was nearly deafening. I was pushed more on the last 4 days than on the first 16 and never saw one bathrobe in public areas until post San Diego.

Sorry, Melodie - present company excepted, of course.:D The issues usually lie with those who have never cruised and then the group within that group that just wants to do their own thing, and above all - not listen. Having witnessed some yelling at the crew just because they felt the rules were for everyone else and not them, and the experience was just not living up to their expectations so of course it is the crew's fault. No regular cruiser would do that. Phew, am I off the hook now?:o

Its ok guys, I just like to give you a bad time about the Coastal passengers. Your right many of them are only on for 4 day and many have never cruised before, so they are trying to jam a lot into very few days.:eek:

Yes Lizzie, your off the hook.:D:)