Evening Gowns

Itsbeentoolong

I guess it all depends on what type of dress your OH is looking for.

http://www.promdress.co.uk

I found the above website very useful as it gives you an idea of the type of dresses by various "designers" & also you can search by location to see if there are any stockists near where you live.

Alternatively, as mentioned previously, Debenhams, etc or any local ladies dress shop should have something suitable.

Um might have a look at the dresses myself now as I'm sure it's been a couple of years since I bought a new one :)

Good luck.

Is it really THAT formal?

Mrs NN isn't sure if she needs to pack long dresses or if smart shorter ones will do.

Won't she feel 'overdressed' in a formal long evening gown as worn to a black tie ball etc??

Evening sandals/shoes too? Evening bag?

Will she be needing a hair appointment? Won't they all book up fast.

What a pickle!

Is it really THAT formal?

Mrs NN isn't sure if she needs to pack long dresses or if smart shorter ones will do.

Won't she feel 'overdressed' in a formal long evening gown as worn to a black tie ball etc??

Evening sandals/shoes too? Evening bag?

Will she be needing a hair appointment? Won't they all book up fast.

What a pickle!

I still find formal evenings on P&O to be just that. I don't always wear full length evening dresses any more, although many ladies do, and wear the sort of dresses which they'd wear to the black tie ball you describe. Nevertheless I still wear something far more formal that I would wear even on a posh evening out at home- e.g. a floaty calf-length little number or lacey with a bit of bling. And yes I do have sandals with bling on them as well :) As for hair I don't go to the hairdresser, although some people do, but I make more effort with my hair - e.g. a messy up-do (your wife will know what that is!)

Edited by tartanexile81

As other have said

Romans, Monsoon, Ebay etc.

I am taking 2 long dresses on my next cruise. Neither are stiff and restricting. Both are floaty. I am a plus size so floaty tends to be best for me.

I have noticed younger ladies tend towards the shorter length, but whatever floats your OH's boat.

I think with the formal nights its probably more the fabric than style..think silks/chiffon/embellishment etc.

Can't wait to dress up:D how often does a girl get to play dress up, and have her gentleman in black tie! Relax, embrace it and just go for it, nobody will think it odd, in fact those who don't make the effort on a formal night will be far more likely to be stared at!!:rolleyes: if your wife goes into debenhams of John Lewis and says she needs cruise clothes the assistants will know just what she will need. Just enjoy. All part of cruise life.:):

Hi

Where do you ladies get your Formal night dresses from? My OH is struggling. She's 27.

Thanks

Romans Originals do some nice ones which would suit someone young. They aren't fancy and aren't pricey either if you drop on lucky. I got a lovely black one for just £35 and felt great in it. Happy shopping.:)

TKMaxx are good, but I have also bought some gorgeous dresses in our local charity shops, some with the labels still on them! As I don't go to many formal events, it seems awful to waste a lot of money on something that might get worn once or twice. And the evening dresses in the charity shops obviously haven't had much wear either. I get a nice dress, the charity gets some cash, and I have some more money left to spend on cruises! Everybody wins!

Hi

Where do you ladies get your Formal night dresses from? My OH is struggling. She's 27.

Thanks

My daughter's nearly 20. For our upcoming Christmas cruise she's just bought a lovely, Grecian style dress with beading around the waist and neck from Quiz - it's her first full length dress. For our other cruises and her prom, dresses have been from Debenhams, TK Maxx, and Boohoo.com. Try also Chi-Chi online and Bonprix.co.uk. At Easter I picked up an above-the-knee, strapless iridescent royal blue and black dress for her from H&M for £15 - bargain!