Would You Accept This Gift?

antmaril

I would accept the invitation. Do you have children? Maybe one of them could go with you.

I have one son, age 28. I don't think he wants to go on a cruise with his mother. And, honestly, it would remind me too much of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Ray and his mother, Marie, went on a cruise together. It wasn't good! LOL! 😀

I think what the OP is doing is a very beautiful gesture, their friend would be crazy to not accept such an offer, I suppose the delivery of such a gift would dictate her response, best of luck OP. Enjoy your cruise no matter what.

*Living large one week at a time*

I think what the OP is doing is a very beautiful gesture, their friend would be crazy to not accept such an offer, I suppose the delivery of such a gift would dictate her response, best of luck OP. Enjoy your cruise no matter what.

*Living large one week at a time*

Thank you! I have a good feeling about it. I think she will say yes, unless she is reluctant to leave her 92 year old mother for a week. Her mom is in a nursing home, but she goes there quite often. Her husband is a great guy and he may be fine with checking on the mother while we are gone. We shall see. I am going to ask her tomorrow.

No insult for me to be offered a free cruise. Depending on which category you are in as far as cabins, if it is Oceanview or higher she wouldn't even have to pay for tips.

Cabin category plays no factor in paying tips. Someone is still coming in and cleaning up your room.

Thank you! I have a good feeling about it. I think she will say yes, unless she is reluctant to leave her 92 year old mother for a week. Her mom is in a nursing home, but she goes there quite often. Her husband is a great guy and he may be fine with checking on the mother while we are gone. We shall see. I am going to ask her tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope she says YES!

Cabin category plays no factor in paying tips. Someone is still coming in and cleaning up your room.

That statement is referring to the "Free Gratuities" as long as you book an Ocean view or higher but OP already said she is choosing the UBP. But actually cabin category does factor into paying tips. Suites and Haven's pay $14.95 instead of the $12.95 everyone in a mini suite or lower category pays.

Consider the current promotions...."free gratuities" is one of the promotion options for ocean view and higher on many cruises (and not for inside cabin). That is likely the thought behnd the post you quoted. The op seems to be instead taking a drink package over gratuities.

Edit...somebody beat me to this point...oh well,at least two of us are think alike...

Edited by Starry Eyes

That statement is referring to the "Free Gratuities" as long as you book an Ocean view or higher but OP already said she is choosing the UBP. But actually cabin category does factor into paying tips. Suites and Haven's pay $14.95 instead of the $12.95 everyone in a mini suite or lower category pays.

Exactly. We would choose the UBP as our "freebie" and pay our gratuities. Since I am booking a balcony cabin, that would be $12.95 each per day.

Exactly. We would choose the UBP as our "freebie" and pay our gratuities. Since I am booking a balcony cabin, that would be $12.95 each per day.

Per person

If she insists on paying something that would be the item, just $91pp for the cruise.

Per person

If she insists on paying something that would be the item, just $91pp for the cruise.

Right. Per person is what I meant by "$12.95 each per day". I think she will want to pay the gratuities herself.

My best friend of 48 yrs snores really loudly but if she invited me I would say yes in a heartbeat!....I know she is very well off and she knows I am not and work hard to vacation.....this isn't about pride but love....have a wonderful tine!!!!

Sounds like a lovely idea and I'm sure your friend will see it in the spirit it's offered a chance for you to go away and a chance for her to have a holiday with her lifelong friend.Has she cruised before?

Beware-she may become hooked

:)

Mind you,if this became a regular event- that would be a great outcome,IMHO.

I'm sure her husband will look after the Mum for a week.I have similar issues.My Mum is 85 and has dementia so I won't leave her longer than a week.I really wrestled with my conscience when a group of friends invited me on a short break a few years back,leaving my Mum and my wife and kids.

I had a great time though and now it's an annual event.I miss my Mum and wife and family but it is so nice to spend more than a few snatched hours with real friends and relax properly.

Please come back and let us know what she says.

i feel sure it'll be yes(it might be I'd love to but must check with hubby first!)

A little background -- My best friend (Nancy) and I have been best friends for 60 years. Yes, you read that right. When our parents moved in next door to each other, I was three years old and Nancy was two. I am also close to her husband, as we all went to school together and they have been married for almost 44 years. My husband passed away six years ago.

I like to travel, but it is hard because I am a fairly young widow. Most of my friends are married, older than me or have some physical limitations. I was thinking about taking a cruise by myself, but that really doesn't appeal to me. I got to thinking about that and decided that because I would be paying the single supplement anyway, that I should take someone with me. Nancy and her husband have had some financial difficulties and she would not be able to do this with me unless I pay for it. We are having lunch on Friday and I am going to offer a cruise on the Gem in September to Canada/New England. I would pay for everything except her gratuities and, of course, her spending money. We would have the UBP and would eat in the complimentary dining rooms.

So, if you were my best friend, would you accept this gift from me? Would you be insulted? That is the last thing I want. The way I see it is the trip is a gift for both of us. She is giving me the gift of her time and companionship and I am giving her the gift of travel.

What do you think?

You know your friend better than anyone with the possible exception of her husband. That said, I have taken my friend on a couple of cruises (short 3 night cruises). I'm hoping to do it again. On the other hand, my sister & BIL who are both doing very well financially, would not accept such a gift (I know, I offered and they agreed to join me, but insisted on paying their own way).

I think the offer is very sweet! After you ask her and you have her response you could than explain that it will cost you the same but you would prefer to travel with your best friend and not alone.

I am thinking of doing the same for my sister that is recovering if she has the strength to travel.

Edited by Mimi of 4

What a wonderful idea! On our last cruise, our next-door neighbor was a widow traveling by herself. We got to know each other when we were both out at 5 AM enjoying the wonderful scenery of the inside passage after sailing from Vancouver the night before. We invited her to have dinner with us one evening since she was traveling alone, and she gratefully accepted -- but we didn't think about it until the end of the week.

Our room steward also served her room, and he happened to mention that she spent a lot of time in her room. She mentioned after we'd invited her to dinner that she'd done room service or eaten in the buffet most of the time since she decided she wasn't comfortable eating alone all the time, which made me feel bad.

I hope you friend says yes, but if she doesn't, I hope that you'll be a little more adventuresome than our next-door neighbor was. Granted, it was her first cruise and she didn't know the ropes, and maybe she was happy being by herself -- but I still wished Id invited her to spend more time with us.

A little background -- My best friend (Nancy) and I have been best friends for 60 years. Yes, you read that right. When our parents moved in next door to each other, I was three years old and Nancy was two. I am also close to her husband, as we all went to school together and they have been married for almost 44 years. My husband passed away six years ago.

I like to travel, but it is hard because I am a fairly young widow. Most of my friends are married, older than me or have some physical limitations. I was thinking about taking a cruise by myself, but that really doesn't appeal to me. I got to thinking about that and decided that because I would be paying the single supplement anyway, that I should take someone with me. Nancy and her husband have had some financial difficulties and she would not be able to do this with me unless I pay for it. We are having lunch on Friday and I am going to offer a cruise on the Gem in September to Canada/New England. I would pay for everything except her gratuities and, of course, her spending money. We would have the UBP and would eat in the complimentary dining rooms.

So, if you were my best friend, would you accept this gift from me? Would you be insulted? That is the last thing I want. The way I see it is the trip is a gift for both of us. She is giving me the gift of her time and companionship and I am giving her the gift of travel.

What do you think?

I think it sounds wonderful! I think if you frame it right (not as charity, or as a pressure to her, but rather that you don't want to travel alone and she is your clear first choice as travel companion), she'll feel comfortable enough to make the decision whether she can afford the taxes, etc. You are a kind soul.

Mom's cruising with their son does happen...I'm on Jewel right now having invited mom along and since dad had to travel also, she was glad to get away instead of staying home alone. I took DD and DW on a cruise three weeks ago so didn't skip out on my immediate family without having taken them on a fun cruise as well.

My thought was for you to check with her hubby first to see if he would be fine with checking in on her mom. I've had my best friend for 40 years (since kindergarten!). She is more like my sister after all these years and I hope I could do the same for her one day. I don't see why she would be insulted for you doing what comes naturally after all these years. You are showing her how much you value of her friendship and you want to make her happy. It's a wonderful gesture on your part and I hope it works out!!! :D

Well, my friend and I got together for lunch today at Noon and she just left my condo about 15 minutes ago! She was very touched by my offer and a little overwhelmed by the thought of a week-long cruise (it would be her first). She likes that I have cruised many times and know the ropes. She is a little worried about seasickness, but she is not prone to motion sickness and I told her that Bonine works like a charm. So, she is going to discuss it with her husband and sleep on it (which I encouraged her to do). She loves the idea of sailing out of NY harbor. The itinerary appeals to her very much. It is really all good. She just needs to digest it and wrap her brain around it.

Thank you all for your kind words and good thoughts. I have high hopes that it will happen and I will let you know when she makes her final decision. I don't think it will be long.