Would You Accept This Gift?

antmaril

Okay Folks -- drumroll please -- she said "YES"! She said that when she was talking about it with her family last night, she felt like she should have gotten up in the restaurant where we were having lunch and started running around like she had won the lottery - LOL! I assured her that I wasn't expecting that. I wanted her to think about it and be sure.

So, we are both very excited.

Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts on this. I do appreciate the support.

Let the planning begin! :-)

I have been following this thread and I'm *so* happy for the both of you. I wish both of you a great cruise!

Harriet

Okay Folks -- drumroll please -- she said "YES"! She said that when she was talking about it with her family last night, she felt like she should have gotten up in the restaurant where we were having lunch and started running around like she had won the lottery - LOL! I assured her that I wasn't expecting that. I wanted her to think about it and be sure.

Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts on this. I do appreciate the support.

I'm very happy for both of you. I'd bet my house on the fact that the two of you will have one great cruise. Enjoy!

You've made a lot of people smile with happiness, not just your friend.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! You guys are making me feel pretty good about this.

I can tell you that when you lose your partner, your soulmate, your perspective on life changes. it is all about spending time and making memories with people you love. You can take that to the bank!

Edited by antmaril

This time together will be wonderful for you both.

Tell her not to worry about clothes. I am packing for my 6th Ncl cruise. I bring casual clothes for the most part. For dinner I might wear Capris with a nice shirt. I also have a few Travelers pieces from Chicos which are mix and match and do not wrinkle...they are very reasonable at consignment shops or ebay. The dinners are billed as dress up or not. I chose "not."

You two enjoy every moment. By the way the entertainment is very good.

Bonni

Well, my friend and I got together for lunch today at Noon and she just left my condo about 15 minutes ago! She was very touched by my offer and a little overwhelmed by the thought of a week-long cruise (it would be her first). She likes that I have cruised many times and know the ropes. She is a little worried about seasickness, but she is not prone to motion sickness and I told her that Bonine works like a charm. So, she is going to discuss it with her husband and sleep on it (which I encouraged her to do). She loves the idea of sailing out of NY harbor. The itinerary appeals to her very much. It is really all good. She just needs to digest it and wrap her brain around it.

Thank you all for your kind words and good thoughts. I have high hopes that it will happen and I will let you know when she makes her final decision. I don't think it will be long.

Great! Here is hoping the three of you enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! You guys are making me feel pretty good about this.

I can tell you that when you lose your partner, your soulmate, your perspective on life changes. it is all about spending time and making memories with people you love. You can take that to the bank!

Even a major illness can bring on those strong feelings. I believe it was you who said making memories was more important than buying things...that's my feeling.

Glad y'all will have a great time together.

Yay! Have fun!!!

And yes - the dress code is very casual, if you want to be casual (you can dress as fancy as you want. Or not).

Edited by mnventure
S

Thank you. It is just the two of us -- my best friend and me.

Hope your friend accepts your generous offer. What a lucky friend to have someone as nice as you as a best friend.

Just a suggestion for you --- I have cruised many times and find the food served in the dining room very good and there are other "free" restaurants to choose from as well. You might consider using the "perk" to pay the gratuities instead of the UDP (dining package). Just a thought for you. You can always check the dining venues on the Gem before you book the cruise and then decide. You could also pay to go to one of the specialty restaurants for one or two dinners. The gratuities per person per day are about $12 and you would not have to spend that much on the specialty restaurants if you only go a couple of times. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy yourself.

I think this is really wonderful and I am really happy for you and your friend. May you both have an awesome cruise!

Hope your friend accepts your generous offer. What a lucky friend to have someone as nice as you as a best friend.

Just a suggestion for you --- I have cruised many times and find the food served in the dining room very good and there are other "free" restaurants to choose from as well. You might consider using the "perk" to pay the gratuities instead of the UDP (dining package). Just a thought for you. You can always check the dining venues on the Gem before you book the cruise and then decide. You could also pay to go to one of the specialty restaurants for one or two dinners. The gratuities per person per day are about $12 and you would not have to spend that much on the specialty restaurants if you only go a couple of times. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy yourself.

Thank you.

We are going to choose the Ultimate Beverage Package as our "free" perk. We may go to one of the specialty restaurants while on our cruise, but I would prefer to order a drink and not incur a charge. I have cruised several times and I am always conscious of the bar bill. It can add up pretty quickly. The UBP will be nice to have.

Edited by antmaril

We are going to choose the Ultimate Beverage Package as our "free" perk.

Maybe a little "Girls Gone Wild-ish" will be a fun way to spend the cruise with your friend! I was so happy to hear she accepted your invitation, with no hesitation. Have fun!

Maybe a little "Girls Gone Wild-ish" will be a fun way to spend the cruise with your friend! I was so happy to hear she accepted your invitation, with no hesitation. Have fun!

LOL! Not much chance of that! My friend is not much of a drinker. However, my choice would be a Manhattan on the rocks or, perhaps, a Grey Goose and tonic. It will be fun!

Thank you.

We are going to choose the Ultimate Beverage Package as our "free" perk. We may go to one of the specialty restaurants while on our cruise, but I would prefer to order a drink and not incur a charge. I have cruised several times and I am always conscious of the bar bill. It can add up pretty quickly. The UBP will be nice to have.

I misread your original post and thought you were taking the UDP. I agree that the bar bill can add up quickly. I think you are making a good choice. We had the UBP on our last cruise and it was nice to order drinks and not see the charges on our bill at the end of the cruise. We're not big drinkers but having a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and occasional drinks at the entertainment venues was a nice perk.

Wendy

My thought was for you to check with her hubby first to see if he would be fine with checking in on her mom. I've had my best friend for 40 years (since kindergarten!). She is more like my sister after all these years and I hope I could do the same for her one day. I don't see why she would be insulted for you doing what comes naturally after all these years. You are showing her how much you value of her friendship and you want to make her happy. It's a wonderful gesture on your part and I hope it works out!!! :D

Thank you. I was amazed reading this whole thread that it took until your post for anyone to mention the friend's DH. :) His feelings about the cruise certainly need to be considered. I'm a new widow after being married 44 years and he would have been my first consideration if deciding whether to accept the invitation. :)

Well, my friend and I got together for lunch today at Noon and she just left my condo about 15 minutes ago! She was very touched by my offer and a little overwhelmed by the thought of a week-long cruise (it would be her first). She likes that I have cruised many times and know the ropes. She is a little worried about seasickness, but she is not prone to motion sickness and I told her that Bonine works like a charm. So, she is going to discuss it with her husband and sleep on it (which I encouraged her to do). She loves the idea of sailing out of NY harbor. The itinerary appeals to her very much. It is really all good. She just needs to digest it and wrap her brain around it.

Thank you all for your kind words and good thoughts. I have high hopes that it will happen and I will let you know when she makes her final decision. I don't think it will be long.

I am very happy your friend accepted. It's a wonderful opportunity for both of you. It's great she is now so excited about it. Hope you have the very best time together.

Glad to see this. My dad was recently widowed and said he looked forward to traveling again. It's something he and my stepmom enjoyed before she got to sick. We talked about him doing something like this since the cost is the same. Enjoy

Glad to see this. My dad was recently widowed and said he looked forward to traveling again. It's something he and my stepmom enjoyed before she got to sick. We talked about him doing something like this since the cost is the same. Enjoy

I am very sorry for your father's loss. Traveling after being widowed is tricky because you are at the mercy of other people to want to go with you and who can afford it. It has been almost seven years since my husband passed away and I am still struggling with that. I always enjoyed planning trips for us and now I can't just pull the trigger whenever I want. It is difficult.

So, to have this plan with my friend is giving me something to look forward to. Planning it is half the fun!