Quiet Place on Royal

Dodger Blue

With no Explorer's Lounge and no Skywalker's on the Royal, where are the quiet places where one can relax and read indoors? From the deck plans it appears that the Vista Lounge may be that place, but is it a dark place during the day?

Crooners would come to mind for quiet, indoors and out of the way. I enjoy sitting in the lounge that is on the other side of the International Cafe Near the windows, but since this off the Piazza you will get some noise.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Club 6 is very quiet during the day & has nice lighting, Horizon Terrace on deck 16 outside of Horizon Court has awesome comfortable wicker furniture if you can snag a seat & it's covered (our favorite spot), & the seating on Promenade Deck 7 outside of Crooners (port) & Facets (starboard) is usually very quiet since it's somewhat hard to find & there's no "Promenade".

With no Explorer's Lounge and no Skywalker's on the Royal, where are the quiet places where one can relax and read indoors? From the deck plans it appears that the Vista Lounge may be that place, but is it a dark place during the day?

No quiet places indoors on sea days. The Vista Lounge is bright, not dark, but is in use most of the day with trivia, bingo, art, afternoon movies, things like that. Crooner's is one fairly quiet place, but you will hear the activities going on in the Piazza such as Zumba, line and ballroom dancing, other activities and just the busy nature of the Piazza. Princess Live Cafe has some nice high back chairs but is in the flow of traffic. Club 6 isn't too busy, but they do have trivia in there, sometimes. There are covered areas outside which can be used on warm weather cruises. Two nice areas are the Horizon Terrace with comfortable seating plus tables and chairs, and the entrance areas to the Retreat Pool on deck 17 forward.

Edited by sknight

Club 6 gets another vote...I would be reading there, the waiter would sweep by once to see if I wanted a drink, & would go back to the bar to wait for another passenger.

We always hung out at the bar at the end of the buffet. In the aft area.

Got a wonderful view of the rear of the ship. Great for photos.

On other ships like the Carribbean Princess this used to be an area for another pool. But on this ship they have less pools. So they just have this bar area.

The Royal was our least favorite ship. The worst part was having to leave your cruise card inserted for using the lights in your stateroom. Who came up with this dumb idea?

I agree that it seems like they missed the boat (pun intended) on the pool issue. Also, we loved Skywalkers as a place to get away during the day and relax and read in quiet. There isn't anyplace on the Royal, it seems, where one can do this. Skywalkers also gave you a great panoramic view of the ocean. Can't do that on the big new ships.

The worst part was having to leave your cruise card inserted for using the lights in your stateroom. Who came up with this dumb idea?

I think it has to something to do with trying to make the ships more 'energy efficient', and that when 1500 staterooms aren't leaving all of their lights on all the time it somehow equates to fuel/energy/cost savings? Or something like that.

:cool:

Club 6 is very quiet during the day & has nice lighting, Horizon Terrace on deck 16 outside of Horizon Court has awesome comfortable wicker furniture if you can snag a seat & it's covered (our favorite spot), & the seating on Promenade Deck 7 outside of Crooners (port) & Facets (starboard) is usually very quiet since it's somewhat hard to find & there's no "Promenade".

Club 6 in my view is your best bet, but check the schedule so you don't get overwhelmed by trivia.

As for the card in slot, any card will do (even without magnetic stripe). Just bring a hotel key with you.

Edited by Wehwalt

On other ships like the Carribbean Princess this used to be an area for another pool. But on this ship they have less pools. So they just have this bar area.

The Royal was our least favorite ship. The worst part was having to leave your cruise card inserted for using the lights in your stateroom. Who came up with this dumb idea?

I think it's a great idea...I always know where my card is as I tend to misplace it every time I walk into the room.

Edited by kendon

Although we never found a truly "quiet" spot on the Regal , we were very impressed with

the fact that there were no mobbed areas either . We found the ship to be well designed.

Quiet spots included the massive buffet area, outside of meal times of course, and the

Wheelhouse Bar which is the bar area just outside the steak restaurant.

We brought expired gift cards to place in the card spot . They worked perfectly .

The worst part was having to leave your cruise card inserted for using the lights in your stateroom. Who came up with this dumb idea?

We used an old cruise card. The problem is logistics. The card slot assumes that all passengers will enter and leave the cabin at the same time which is not what actually happens. In our case the logistics of whose card is in the slot was cumbersome.

If this was the worst part of your cruise, what was the best part? ;)

For future information, the key only controls lights. Your air conditioning will not go off if you take your key out of the slot. :)

Dumb? Think again. They're trying to be energy efficient (and, yes, save money). Get used to it - it's the wave of the future with ships and hotels. The only "dumb" thing is leaving your lights on when you're not there and wasting energy.

Dumb? Think again. They're trying to be energy efficient (and, yes, save money). Get used to it - it's the wave of the future with ships and hotels. The only "dumb" thing is leaving your lights on when you're not there and wasting energy.

I'd say it was dumb because it works with any credit card or piece of cardboard cut to the same size. I always leave at least 1 light on when gone. We hate to walk into a totally dark room.

Now it it required your current cruise card to actually be in the slot to turn on the lights that would be a energy saver.

I think they should have added a switch to the balcony doors to cutoff the AC when it's open. Now that would be an energy saver. Some people just love to keep it open all night with the AC set on max cool to hear the ocean waves.

No quiet places indoors on sea days. The Vista Lounge is bright, not dark, but is in use most of the day with trivia, bingo, art, afternoon movies, things like that. Crooner's is one fairly quiet place, but you will hear the activities going on in the Piazza such as Zumba, line and ballroom dancing, other activities and just the busy nature of the Piazza. Princess Live Cafe has some nice high back chairs but is in the flow of traffic. Club 6 isn't too busy, but they do have trivia in there, sometimes. There are covered areas outside which can be used on warm weather cruises. Two nice areas are the Horizon Terrace with comfortable seating plus tables and chairs, and the entrance areas to the Retreat Pool on deck 17 forward.

Zumba held on the basketball court on April 18-25 cruise on sea days,