Lisbon question

P&O SUE

Hello all,

I want to do the HoHo bus when I stop in Lisbon in June. Does it matter where we dock as to how easy it is to find a bus stop? I know there are stops near the terminals but don't know which terminal we stop at.

Do P&O run a shuttle at Lisbon does anyone know? I might catch that as I know there are bus stops at the main sites.

Thanks for any help

We docked near the city centre last year' date=' and the HOHO buses all came to the bus stop outside the dock and picked up from there first thing in the morning[/quote']

Ooh that sounds easy too! Thanks for that. I guess we'll see where we dock and decide on the day.

If you keep checking this site you will find where you are going to dock. As jeanlyon said we docked at the Tobacco quay on Britannia week before last and the HOHO was right opposite the exit from the quay. This dock is also easily walkable into town and due to the ine way system and traffic can be faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It appears the tobacco dock near the centre of town is now the usual berth for cruise ships. It is much better than the commercial berth out by the bridge and for most people you can just walk into town.

It appears the tobacco dock near the centre of town is now the usual berth for cruise ships. It is much better than the commercial berth out by the bridge and for most people you can just walk into town.

It was our first time at the tobacco dock on Britannia a couple of weeks ago. Its very central but not really 'a dock' more like a car park with a portacabin. However its central location is excellent. We took the P&O shuttle into town and walked back. The shuttle took a while due to traffic so it was quicker to walk on the way back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch out for pickpockets in Lisbon especially if taking the tram (which is a great experience by the way). We have docked at different places in Lisbon on different occasions and there is always a HOHO ready and waiting. I recommend you get off at the Belem Tower and walk along the river down to the monument (often on the front of P&O brochures).

I highly recommend you go out on deck to see the ship go under the bridge. It always looks extremely tight clearance!

Here is a video link to our DIY day in Lisbon.

aIXBD9XlhWI

Out the gate, turn left. Just a five minute walk to the black horse square!

Not from where they now dock at the bottom of the Alfama District. However the HoHo buses wait by the terminal - two routes and well worth it IMO. We got the one out to Belem.

one of the main port stops for my cruise next week, can't wait! What tips do you have to prevent pick pocketers?

The same approach as you use to avoid pickpockets here - no difference as to where you are in world!

Advice we were given to avoid pick pockets and bag snatchers:

If you go on the tram keep backpacks in front of you not on your back.

If standing at the roadside - waiting for a bus or tram - keep any bags/cameras on the opposite side of you from the road.

Just a couple of points but I hope they help, Sue

We had an experience on the Metro in Piraeus which may be worth passing on. We got on the train but a guy blocked my progress so I was trapped between him, a barrier at the side of the train door, another passenger on my shoulder and the train doors. My Dh got on too behind me but the guy had his arm across me holding a pole and I couldn't get passed although there were plenty of seats. I said excuse me several times - he ignored me then as I was beginning to feel really uncomfortable, I decided to duck under his arm and push through.

We sat down and as the train doors closed I noticed both this guy and the 'other passenger' (a young woman) had nipped off the train as the doors were closing. I'm convinced my instinct that something wasn't right was correct and they were 'coralling' us and getting in very close to pick our pockets and hope in the squash we wouldn't notice. Perhaps grab my bag and jump off the train at the last minute?

Not much you can do about it - except be very aware - perhaps in similar circumstances do what we did and physically push through (it's not as though there wasn't loads of space beyond this guy) although it's not really something we'd normally do. Most people are too polite. But having told this tale perhaps it will alert someone else to this ploy and hopefully avoid them becoming a victim.

P.s. Sorry not exactly on topic but as someone mentioned pickpockets on the tram in lisbon (same danger most places I think) thought it may be worth mentioning.

Edited by kruzseeka

Um we did have children in London pick pocketing us with a suspicious looking mother looking on at the edge of the group. I was in a school art group going round the art galleries. I'm only going to take a few euros out with me, the rest can stay in the safe on board in the cabin

Awareness is the best prevention regarding pickpockets. Rob lost his wallet on the tram (we had been forewarned and completely forgot :o). It was in his back pocket and he leaning out of the window with to take video. Never had a problem in Lisbon since. I think we were an easy target. We have never felt unsafe in Lisbon so please don't worry, just be aware.

For those of you who have been into Lisbon a couple of times I can recommend a trip in Sintra. Ship excursions go there but there is also an excellent train service which runs every 45 minutes.

Britannia177-M.jpg

Britannia174-M.jpg

Britannia176-M.jpg

Britannia175-M.jpg

Not from where they now dock at the bottom of the Alfama District. However the HoHo buses wait by the terminal - two routes and well worth it IMO. We got the one out to Belem.

That's where I want to go first and then have a look round the Alfama district - can't wait :D

We have visited Lisbon several times and have found it no worse than anywhwere else regarding pickpockets. One tip that we were given is to fasten your Handbag with a safety pin (to stop you being distracted by one person while someone is unzipping your bag and removing your purse!)