Rotterdam V (2 threads merged)

RedmondCruiser

Thanks again. Watching the Ryndam leave from Tampa for the very last time reminded me of how sad so many people were over the loss of the old Rotterdam. We sailed on the new Rotterdam for her first Christmas cruise and many passenger kept going around saying how she was not the old Rotterdam. They seemed to be genuinely disappointed.

336 days on board. Will never forget this ship, the great people and perfect cruising... including the 1995 WC. Nothing ever comes close to this ship... well almost.... Saga Rose. ;-)

Thanks for the links. Have been aboard twice in Rotterdam.. Good fun!

Stephen

Rotterdam V: 1970, 1971, 1996.

A "Grande Dame"? No question about it in my mind!

2012, while on the Eurodam between a Baltic Cruise and the re-positioning voyage to North America, a shore excursion was offered from Amsterdam to Rotterdam to visit Rotterdam V. One booked; me. The tour was canceled. I was disappointed; but, the loss were those who failed to recognize a chance to visit a true icon of passenger travel on the high seas.

Rotterdam V: 1970, 1971, 1996.

A "Grande Dame"? No question about it in my mind!

2012, while on the Eurodam between a Baltic Cruise and the re-positioning voyage to North America, a shore excursion was offered from Amsterdam to Rotterdam to visit Rotterdam V. One booked; me. The tour was canceled. I was disappointed; but, the loss were those who failed to recognize a chance to visit a true icon of passenger travel on the high seas.

What a shame.

Three years ago I made a short five day cruise in Queen Elizabeth.... an overnight at Amsterdam. At 7 in the morning I left the Elizabeth with a car... straight to Rotterdam to late morning for a coffee and a walk. A visit to Prins Hendrik Maritime Museum and then lunch with ex HAL Maitr'd Rob Dickman.... back to the ship at 5pm for sailing. My 'excursion' was PERFECT!

Stephen

That was so interesting. I have stayed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach a few years ago when I was there on a business trip. I checked with an online hotel search site and see that you can stay on the Rotterdam V for less than $100. a night. If we take a cruise from Amsterdam or Rotterdam, that looks like a great way to spend a day in Holland to get over the jet lag before the cruise.

SS Rotterdam (V) still looks great, you can also visit her for (audio) guided tours.

Rotterdam V and VI share a similar mural in the main dining room on the current Rotterdam and in the bar/dancing on the elder one, to emphasize their connection.

That sure brings back fine memories! The "Grand Dame" deserved every one of the many accolades she got in her lifetime. Not as many sailings on Rotterdam V as some others here, the first a transatlantic crossing in the 60s, and quite a few cruises after that. Like Capt. Card and some others I did stay on her overnight before Rotterdam VI's commemorative transatlantic crossings in 2011 from Rotterdam/Southampton to NYC and return. We had a feisty little storm off Ireland for added reality of what transatlantic crossings could entail. Captain for that crossing was Rik Krombeen, Hotel Mgr. was Hans Dernison (38 years with HAL) and Chief Engineer was Willem Zuidermann, with Rotterdam VI since her building, who gave outstanding engine room tours. Some nice handouts on the cruise as well, a book of recollections by former passengers who crossed to a new life in the US via HAL, and a lreprint of a large prewar poster. Also the HAL retirees had a very nice collection of items from their museum on board in the Crow's Nest. Quite an array of notables on board for the voyage, Capt. Card, Bill Miller, and others.

For those interested in HAL's roots and history, this was a trip not to be missed! Anyone else here on board for that trip?

Edited by Dave in NJ

she's the one I lost my heart to,, 1988, and for the pasted 13 cruises, its been on HAL, and she started this whole obsession thing, i have ,,,:)

Edited by maxie99

Just booked one night on her for July 13th. We did a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise on her in 1989 and want to see and feel her again. We are in the area about to cruise on a 14 day Prinsendam so had to do it.

Edited by Colakid

Just booked one night on her for July 13th. We did a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise on her in 1989 and want to see and feel her again. We are in the area about to cruise on a 14 day Prinsendam so had to do it.
icon14.gif

Also, if anyone's cruising on Rotterdam (VI) from Rotterdam and doing a pre-cruise stay there, spending a night (or more) on board Rotterdam (V) is such a wonderful way to get started. And it all helps to preserve this bit of HAL history.