Leaving ship early!

csk0528

If you need to leave the ship before the end of cruise, do you need special arrangements.

We are on a cruise from Canada to Houston, with a stop in Fort Lauderdale, and wish to just get off in Flordia.

How is this done? thanks

Since the cruise starts in Canada, it would not be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act to end the cruise in Fort Lauderdale. So I believe it would probably be allowed. However, you definitely need to clear it with Princess in advance, since they have to make arrangements for US immigration and customs to process you in Fort Lauderdale.

Additionally, if they allow you to leave the ship early, you will have to pay the fine that the cruise ship will receive.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. 55103 (19 CFR 4.80a), is one of the several coastwise laws enforced by CBP which prohibits the transportation of passengers between points in the U.S. in any vessel other than a vessel that has a coastwise endorsement, i.e a vessel that is built in and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States. The penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 per passenger carried and is assessed against the carrier/cruise line.

For example, an Argentinean-flagged cruise ship picks up passengers in Miami then sails to various ports of call, including Bermuda, Charleston, South Carolina, and Annapolis, Maryland before returning to Miami. While passengers may leave the vessel to see the U.S. ports, they must return to the vessel before the cruise itinerary ends, i.e. before the vessel returns to Miami, in order for the carrier to avoid a PVSA violation. If passengers were to disembark, i.e. finally and permanently leave the vessel in Bermuda, the vessel would not incur a PVSA penalty because Bermuda is not a U.S. point.

NOTE: If a passenger is charged a fee by a cruise line for disembarking the vessel before the cruise itinerary is over, for example at a different U.S. point than where the passenger embarked the vessel, that is a contractual matter between the cruise line and the passenger and does not involve CBP. As such, passengers should contact the cruise line directly to discuss the fee. Any individual may file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the CBP port that assessed the PVSA penalty against the cruise line to determine whether the cruise line paid the penalty. CBP may only respond to the FOIA request once the penalty action is closed.

Additionally, if they allow you to leave the ship early, you will have to pay the fine that the cruise ship will receive.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. 55103 (19 CFR 4.80a), is one of the several coastwise laws enforced by CBP which prohibits the transportation of passengers between points in the U.S. in any vessel other than a vessel that has a coastwise endorsement, i.e a vessel that is built in and owned by persons who are citizens of the United States. The penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 per passenger carried and is assessed against the carrier/cruise line.

For example, an Argentinean-flagged cruise ship picks up passengers in Miami then sails to various ports of call, including Bermuda, Charleston, South Carolina, and Annapolis, Maryland before returning to Miami. While passengers may leave the vessel to see the U.S. ports, they must return to the vessel before the cruise itinerary ends, i.e. before the vessel returns to Miami, in order for the carrier to avoid a PVSA violation. If passengers were to disembark, i.e. finally and permanently leave the vessel in Bermuda, the vessel would not incur a PVSA penalty because Bermuda is not a U.S. point.

NOTE: If a passenger is charged a fee by a cruise line for disembarking the vessel before the cruise itinerary is over, for example at a different U.S. point than where the passenger embarked the vessel, that is a contractual matter between the cruise line and the passenger and does not involve CBP. As such, passengers should contact the cruise line directly to discuss the fee. Any individual may file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the CBP port that assessed the PVSA penalty against the cruise line to determine whether the cruise line paid the penalty. CBP may only respond to the FOIA request once the penalty action is closed.

There is no, fine. A cruise starting in Canada does not violate the PVSA, as the poster above you pointed out. EM

I did this once on an Alaskan cruise, I got off in Victoria instead of Vancouver. I tried to arrange it ahead of time but was told to do it on the ship.

I would still speak to princess before you leave but also mention it once on board.

I did this once on an Alaskan cruise, I got off in Victoria instead of Vancouver. I tried to arrange it ahead of time but was told to do it on the ship.

I would still speak to princess before you leave but also mention it once on board.

Good to know. I'm looking at a 14 day Alaska cruise and would also like to disembark in Victoria rather than Seattle. Wondering if that is possible as well but would like to remain on the ship until after dinner.

We are leaving our upcoming Princess cruise one port early. It was a very quick and easy process for us - just request, complete, and submit to Princess one simple form they will provide and see what the answer is.

We got our approval in approximately a week. Our itinerary is different and all within the same country (French Polynesian islands) which, of course, makes a difference.

But you won't know if you don't do the form so it's easy to do it and see.

The cruise originates in Canada, so no PVSA.

The proper process is to ask princess for approval to disembark early.

Princess will only grant approval if the request is consistent with

PVSA. They give you approval conditioned on you paying the fine.

They simply won't willfully create a pvsa violation.

Good to know. I'm looking at a 14 day Alaska cruise and would also like to disembark in Victoria rather than Seattle. Wondering if that is possible as well but would like to remain on the ship until after dinner.

that's what I did. and yes, after dinner was fine. except we couldn't dock because of high winds (so close and yet so far-I could see my daughter on shore waiting for me!). someone from the ship had to bring passports ashore (for the crew I think), so I was lucky to hitch a ride on their tender.

We are paying full fare (but saving elsewhere on travel) but no added fee.

I also didn't have any added fee.

I also didn't have any added fee.

Depends on where you disembark.

So that leads me to hypothesize a couple of things:

1) Certain ports may be charging different fees for a passenger to disembark rather than just vist and Princess passes that along.

2) Princess may have to pay for customs & immigration services and passes that along if required.

The cruise originates in Canada, so no PVSA.

The proper process is to ask princess for approval to disembark early.

Princess will only grant approval if the request is consistent with

PVSA. They give you approval conditioned on you paying the fine.

They simply won't willfully create a pvsa violation.

I believe the port must also have customs officials available for the request to be granted. Someone from the local government has to be there...