Celebrity web site issues and status

ghstudio

Hi there,

At a recent Q&A session on the Celebrity Century, our CEO and President Lisa Lutoff-Perlo stated that our website is an extremely high priority, and that she will address the website issues that guests have been telling us about.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as soon as I learn more, but simply do want to let everyone know that yes, we are aware of these issues.

I thought I'd help Celebrity Cruises by giving them a single thread to both get our thoughts on what needs to be "fixed" on celebrity's web site....and so that Celebrity can update us on progress.

I'll start the list of items that need fixing.

1) aqua class includes all of the extras of concierge class...but the web page doesn't say that...in fact it leaves out some of the included items.

2) The premium drink package pages show the price as "from $70 a day" and then $69.62 plus gratuities....both of which are wrong. I believe the price is $65 a day plus gratuities.

3) locking out a cruise record for 20 minutes after you make a change is incredibly frustrating. I realize this is a harder fix, but it shows that the entire backend probably needs to be rewritten on a modern database platform. Someone has to bite the bullet and spend the $'s to do this.

4) you are losing revenue because there are many cruises showing no excursions or only excursions at some ports....there seems to be a major problem in that area.

5) When I sign in to your web site, I see my booked cruises. On the top of the page, I get the following message:

Please call the Loyalty Desk at 1.800.760.0654 and reference SIGN ON ERROR in order to restore your sign on capability. We apologize for the inconvenience. Members outside the US and Canada please contact our international office or representative in your country for further assistance.

I have no clue why I get the message...in fact I am signed on and can do anything I normally do. The message appears to be invalid...why is it there?

6) stop asking aqua and suite guests if they want early, late or select dining. It has no relevance to those passengers and leads to confusion and has gratuity billing consequences that aren't explained.

OKAY....does anyone else want to add specific items that need to be fixed. It's not helpful to say things like "the site is hard to use" or similar....give specific items.

Edited by ghstudio

A start for me.

1. Gratuities is an option to pay later when not using select dining. I have selected traditional dining time, and have deselected "pre pay gratuities" and the price to pay at final payment date is appropriately reduced. Next time I log in, Gratuities is again pre selected and the price increased appropriately. My changes wont "stick".

2. In the booking conditions it states that Captains Club members pay a reduced deposit. When I try to pay a deposit using the offered reduction for that booking (usually 50%) I receive the error message that this is not a valid amount and I must pay the full deposit. (I am logged in via my Captains Club number so it knows me as a member.)

3. Ditto the comments re the Aqua bookings.

Edited by Pushka

I have had so many issues with web site for years, I don't know where to begin.

1. recognize the passenger's legal name as it appears on passport. Site refuses to recognize my legal name and I have to call each time I want to add or change....manage my accoutn.

2. explain why I never get post cruise survey even though I have supplied my email address and requested notification of upcoming deals as well as my survey forms.

3. prevent system from carrying multiple addresses for cruisers. I found out last week that Celebrity has 8 / eight different addresses for my account. Why, How ? They are working to resolve. Wondering if my identity has been stolen as I have never lived, visited or been in area of 7 of the 8 addresses. Whose addresses are associated with my account and how did this happen? I have booked all but 1 of my cruises with Celebrity Certified Vacation Planners.

I am certain there are more but can't remember as those above drive me to drink, except I am not really a drinker.

3) locking out a cruise record for 20 minutes after you make a change is incredibly frustrating. I realize this is a harder fix, but it shows that the entire backend probably needs to be rewritten on a modern database platform. Someone has to bite the bullet and spend the $'s to do this.

Locking the passenger out of the website for 20 minutes when NO change has been made. If I inadvertently back out of the site while I'm just viewing it, I have to wait 20 minutes to get back in. Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.

1) Not including a maximum age restriction anywhere in the excursion description. For example, the description of the Hiking in Paklenika National Park excursion at Zadar, Croatia contains no age restriction, but when I tried to book it, I was unable to because it then showed a maximum age of 65. Some descriptions include the age restriction; this one does not.

2) Requiring input of booking number, name, ship name, and sailing date every time the passenger want to access shore excursions. Why isn't just the booking number enough?

Excursion browsing and booking is overcomplicated, not user friendly, and often does not work for long time periods. .Using back button often takes you completely out of the excursion list so you have to start over. Website pushes combined packages while making it harder to plan on your own. Overall very frustrating!

cruise browsing to see what one might want to book also convoluted.... often have to back track...it has improved slightly

Over all search feature does not function well

A minor item; but I haven't been able to sign up for our Connections Party for our October TA because it says "Cruise Critic Registration is not allowed for bookings in a status other than booked". I am showing as booked on "My Celebrity" page. I am not the only one on our TA that has the same problem.

Another issue. There is a weight restriction on one of the Alaska excursions as it is on a light plane. If I select that I am UNDER the weight restriction (ie I am not too heavy) then I cannot book it. If I select I am OVER the restriction I can put it into checkout.

I emailed celebrity excursions and they said to select the weight that allows me to book! :eek:

For the last few weeks the 'Add to Favourites' feature has not been available. It is so long that I can't remember the wording, but it is useful to be able to save a cruise on 'My Celebrity' if I am not ready to book immediately. Now the button shows momentarily then disappears.

Sheila

I would like to know how long it takes Lisa (or you) to reserve select dining for you and friends who have their own booking number for each night of a 10 day cruise. (I suggest setting aside at least 1 hour to do this..perhaps longer. Maybe the web manager would like to do this...we can get an average time :)

My time....55 minutes.

It clearly belongs on the "needs to be fixed" list

Don't let people do things that don't match your policies.

My recent example: I booked an AQ class cabin. The site assigned us, without asking, early dining (6:00 PM). Well, we really wanted anytime dining, so I updated the reservation to select.

This isn't valid. AQ gets dining in Blu, and gratuities are always prepaid for AQ or select dining; picking select cause me to have a weird debit after final payment equal to the value of the grats. A couple of days later, we got put back to traditional and the payment zeroed out.

OK, I picked something I shouldn't have. Why let me do that?

Many of the shore excursion descriptions are unnecessarily repetitive. On first glance, this may make it seem like a comprehensive description, until one sees that it merely duplicates the same wording. For example, here's the beginning of the description of the "Highlights of Split Riviera" excursion:

Overview

A scenic drive along the "Riviera of the Seven Castles" takes you to the island town of Trogir, home to some of Croatia's most incredible landmarks. It's a town of stone homes, regal palaces, green parks and incredible cathedrals. You'll see all the best sites and then visit the restored Pantan Old Mill for lunch and a performance of Dalmatian songs. Return to Split for a walking tour through the city's 17 centuries of history. AT05

Highlights

Visit the charming town of Trogir and Diocletian's Palace in Split, both UNESCO World Heritage sites.

Enjoy an authentic Croatian lunch and a folklore performance at a restored countryside mill.

Stroll through the ancient streets of Split on a guided walking tour.

A scenic drive along the "Riviera of the Seven Castles" takes you to the island town of Trogir, home to some of Croatia's most incredible landmarks. It's a town of stone homes, regal palaces, green parks and incredible cathedrals. You'll see all the best sites and then visit the restored Pantan Old Mill for lunch and a performance of Dalmatian songs. Return to Split for a walking tour through the city's 17 centuries of history.

A minor item; but I haven't been able to sign up for our Connections Party for our October TA because it says "Cruise Critic Registration is not allowed for bookings in a status other than booked". I am showing as booked on "My Celebrity" page. I am not the only one on our TA that has the same problem.

We had this issue a few months ago, and it turned out that although the Celebrity website showed our reservation, it was because we went through a Travel Agent, there were other issues. While we were fully paid, it was still only showing on Celebrity as "on hold" as if there was only a deposit paid. Once that was straightened out, we were able to register for the Connections party.

Celebrity kept telling me that their website was never intended to be used by people who book through Travel Agents, and that our reservations are really showing there as a courtesy. Many of the website issues are because we are not booked with Celebrity directly.

(At least that's what I was told more than once!)

Don't let people do things that don't match your policies.

My recent example: I booked an AQ class cabin. The site assigned us, without asking, early dining (6:00 PM). Well, we really wanted anytime dining, so I updated the reservation to select.

This isn't valid. AQ gets dining in Blu, and gratuities are always prepaid for AQ or select dining; picking select cause me to have a weird debit after final payment equal to the value of the grats. A couple of days later, we got put back to traditional and the payment zeroed out.

OK, I picked something I shouldn't have. Why let me do that?

For some stupid reason all AQUA class BLU reservations say 6:00 pm. It has always been that way since it began with the Solstice. It doesn't mean a thing. Just ingore. It has nothing to do with anytime dining which is not Celebrity.

I just have to emphasize -- that 20 minute wait is just wrong!

Hi Judy, did you know that you and Celebrity cannot be looking

at your reservation together? That is wrong too. In other words,

if you have a question about your booking and are looking at it,

the folks at Celebrity cannot be in the reservation with you.

I think that is ridiculous. But what do I know?:confused:

Having had more years in IT than I wish to admit, they are using very old database technology, likely glued together with poorly documented code. I'm sure that they recognize that their entire system needs to be redesigned, but that takes a great deal of time, people and money....which celebrity is not willing to do. That's a perennial IT budget problem because IT is recognized as a cost center with no return. That's wrong, but it becomes an intellectual and ineffective argument without a truly forward thinking executive who is willing to take heat for poorer performance. Most executives care about the next quarter and the bottom line....and their bonuses/next job or retirment. I have no recommended solution for this....but highlighting the 20 minutes every time we get a chance helps.

We've seen changes in the web site....they have been 80% marketing..well maybe 95% and there is a little improvement in the "once booked" part of the site. Of course when you can't see excursions to book them, redesign doesn't help much.

I certainly would be happier if they fixed some of the incorrect text/prices (eg premium drink package) as a first step. Then maybe tackle the select dining reservations piece...or the aqua/suite passengers being asked what dinner time they want piece. Those are easier....and fixing those would at least give us hope and a more functional web site.

Not sure we'll ever see the 20 minute wait go away...or allowing two people to look at the same reservation together work (you and celebrity person)....but maybe there is a long range FUNDED plan that could be shared just to give us hope.

Edited by ghstudio

We had this issue a few months ago, and it turned out that although the Celebrity website showed our reservation, it was because we went through a Travel Agent, there were other issues. While we were fully paid, it was still only showing on Celebrity as "on hold" as if there was only a deposit paid. Once that was straightened out, we were able to register for the Connections party.

Celebrity kept telling me that their website was never intended to be used by people who book through Travel Agents, and that our reservations are really showing there as a courtesy. Many of the website issues are because we are not booked with Celebrity directly.

(At least that's what I was told more than once!)

Whoever told you that was just blowing smoke. I've always booked through a TA and always been able to register for the Connections party long before final payment. Having said that their Connections party registration has been wonky for a while.

There was some other issue making it show on hold.

Im not so sure. I wasnt able to register for connections party online when I had booked through a TA. This time I booked direct and have registered. Maybe it depends on the TA - my booking was 'on hold' for months too.

Hi Judy, did you know that you and Celebrity cannot be looking

at your reservation together? That is wrong too. In other words,

if you have a question about your booking and are looking at it,

the folks at Celebrity cannot be in the reservation with you.

I think that is ridiculous. But what do I know?:confused:

Wow! I didn't know that -- that's just plain crazy. Not to mention, also very inefficient.

• 1 month later...

Please be sure that browsers like Chrome and Safari can be used for booking excursions and specialty dinners.

If you issue an IT ticket, follow up. Where I teach, an IT ticket, when resolved, triggers an email to tell the user that things are working again.

If there's a huge problem and it won't be resolved in the month ahead, be honest and communicate. If you're clear about what can happen and what can't, most of us will be reasonable and work with you.

1. Totally agree with the twenty minutes delay (even if nothing is changed) issue. Absurd in the twenty-first century.

2. The shore excursions part of the Web site is really hard to use in the general section (not already booked), e.g., hard to discover individual excursions among the excursion packages. Even if one puts in the booking the shore excursion pages are hard to navigate. First, the shore excursions are repeated ad nauseam as they are grouped into different categories. Second, the excursion searches are often inaccurate. For example, try selecting the Evening box in the Time of Day section and see what happens. Also, sometimes no description whatsoever appears for an excursion, when selected.

3. The information posted to the Web site is sometimes wildly inaccurate. For example, in the rush to renege on existing (and booked) itineraries by adding overnights and eliminating ports, the calendar for a booked trip would have the ship leaving at 5:00AM at all ports and had the ship in two places at once(!).

There seems to be a general lack of Quality Control (QC) in posting to the Web site. This reflects badly on the whole brand. It also is not "rocket science" to accomplish: just have QC procedures in place and follow them. For instance, make sure postings are reviewed before they "go live". Management might want to check out Industry Standard practices for QC such as ISO9001.

Edited by mdcelebrity

I just viewed the following on the site that Celebrity Travel Partners use to sell Celebrity shore excursions (copied in its ENTIRETY):

Leisurely Morning Journeys

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Afternoon Beach Break

Spend the afternoon relaxing, swimming, or enjoying aquatic sports in Orient Bay, St. Maarten’s premier beach destination. The warm Caribbean sun, powdery white sand, and gently rolling surf are calling your name, beckoning you to escape to this tropical oasis. Explore Now.

Does "X" EVER check anything before posting? Yikes!

This lack of Quality Control really reflects badly on the brand.