what to wear while doing excursions?

S.S.Oceanlover

For the many Churches and religious sites covered shoulders as well as long pants is the default.

I simply selected light but breathable short sleeve shirts and zipaway shorts for all of us.

First off, you are going to stick out as a tourist no matter what you wear so do not let that be a concern. Second, There will be an awful lot of other tourists so you are just one of the flock. And finally, as what to wear it really depends on where you are going and the weather. If you are in a large city like Rome, and planning to visit the Vatican, then you must dress to meet the Vatican's strict dress code. And some (not all) religious/church sites suggest pants/shorts below the knees and no sleeveless. But the reality is that many do ignore these guidelines (but the Vatican is strict). If you are on any of the Greek Islands you would be in a the majority with just shorts and T-shirts. As to Athens, we usually just wear shorts and a light shirt. Keep in mind that this part of Europe can be very hot in July-Aug and the smart traveler dresses for their own comfort and not to please others. I recall one hot summer day when DW and I were just sitting (drinking and eating) at a favorite cafe in the Piazza Navona (Rome) being entertained by simply people watching. The temps were in the mid 90s and it was humid. Along came a tour group of British Ladies wearing their wool skirts, heavy shirts, and sturdy walking shoes. These poor ladies were dying in the heat while most others were wearing shorts (or jeans) and flip flops or sandals. But we assume that in their minds they were must being proper British ladies not wanting to look like tourists :).

Hank

Can't think who the British ladies in wool skirts in the summer might have been! Maybe a group of nuns in mufti visiting the Vatican?

Seriously, many British ladies will be wearing cotton or linen skirts with t shirts or lightweight blouses, those with short sleeves are great for visiting churches and avoiding sunburnt shoulders. It seems that most American female tourists wear shorts or Capri pants, but loose fitting, below the knee skirts are cool and comfortable, suitable for visiting churches etc and don't look very touristy, if that is what you are aiming for.

Thanks for the replies. Gives me a starting point into a lot of research.

This would be our itinerary if the cruise I am looking at is the one we finally pick.

Day 1 Barcelona, Spain 5:00 PM

Day 2 Marseilles (Provence), France 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 3 Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 4 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

Day 5 Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 6 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 7 Crete (Heraklion), Greece 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 8 Rhodes, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 9 Izmir (Ephesus), Turkey 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 10 Athens, Greece Overnight Stay

Day 11 Athens, Greece

Bill

Call me old fashioned but when visiting any major city, here or abroad I wouldn't be caught dead in flip flops, shorts and t-shirts. You can dress in cool, comfortable, lightweight attire without looking like you are going to the beach. I have refined my travel wardrobe over the years to included lightweight layers in neutral colors that are easy to coordinate. You can add a scarf for a pop of color that also doubles as a shoulder covering when visiting churches.

Call me old fashioned but when visiting any major city, here or abroad I wouldn't be caught dead in flip flops, shorts and t-shirts. You can dress in cool, comfortable, lightweight attire without looking like you are going to the beach. I have refined my travel wardrobe over the years to included lightweight layers in neutral colors that are easy to coordinate. You can add a scarf for a pop of color that also doubles as a shoulder covering when visiting churches.

Yep, sound old fashioned :). Take a look in Europe these days (we do a lot of European travel on both land and sea) and you will see lots of jeans! If one wants to look European they need just wear some decent jeans and either decent sandals or flip-flops (I cannot believe what DD pays for hers). DWs favorite Europe-wear (for the daytime) is Capris with a decent top.

DW still complains that she misses the days when the good looking Italian men would wear expensive suits and outfits. Now, other then those going to and from work most are in Jeans. Of course some of these Jeans cost over 500€ but that is another issue.

Hank

Yep, sound old fashioned :). Take a look in Europe these days (we do a lot of European travel on both land and sea) and you will see lots of jeans! If one wants to look European they need just wear some decent jeans and either decent sandals or flip-flops (I cannot believe what DD pays for hers). DWs favorite Europe-wear (for the daytime) is Capris with a decent top.

DW still complains that she misses the days when the good looking Italian men would wear expensive suits and outfits. Now, other then those going to and from work most are in Jeans. Of course some of these Jeans cost over 500€ but that is another issue.

Hank

I don't think many Italian women or girls wear flip flops, not in major cities like Rome anyway. Maybe in resort towns like those on the Amalfi trail....

I read an amusing blog last year written by an American girl living in Rome about how the Romans joke about Americans wearing flip flops in Rome -- apparently they call them "piedi neri" or "black feet" because the feet get so dirty. :eek:

I don't think many Italian women or girls wear flip flops, not in major cities like Rome anyway. Maybe in resort towns like those on the Amalfi trail....

I read an amusing blog last year written by an American girl living in Rome about how the Romans joke about Americans wearing flip flops in Rome -- apparently they call them "piedi neri" or "black feet" because the feet get so dirty. :eek:

Plus, flip flops ruin your feet! You will be walking miles and most of it is over cobblestone streets. And jeans are much too warm to wear in the med during the summer. You can buy good quality sandals made for walking.

Hank

Hank - saw virtually no flip-flops the other week in Rome and Florence. It was a plethora of Converse All-Stars and their clones, both high and low tops, and in a multitude of colors and patterns. And, yes, the jeans, everywhere were jeans.

Hank - saw virtually no flip-flops the other week in Rome and Florence. It was a plethora of Converse All-Stars and their clones, both high and low tops, and in a multitude of colors and patterns. And, yes, the jeans, everywhere were jeans.

Okay, it isn't just me. Growing up in the 60s and early 70s, "Cons" were THE sneaker fighting it out with Pro Keds. These were days before Adidas and then Reebok, and Nike. Now, I see Converse All Stars are back, especially with older teen girls, and so is Converse (along with their beautiful building on the water in Boston). I guess what goes around comes around.

In any case, with OP's itinerary, it could be all shorts all of the time. Rome could just as easily be Coliseum, Forums, and Modern Rome (Piaza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc,) as it is Vatican.

This would be our itinerary if the cruise I am looking at is the one we finally pick.

Day 1 Barcelona, Spain 5:00 PM

Day 2 Marseilles (Provence), France 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 3 Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 4 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

Day 5 Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Day 6 ... Fun Day At Sea --- ---

Day 7 Crete (Heraklion), Greece 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 8 Rhodes, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 9 Izmir (Ephesus), Turkey 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 10 Athens, Greece Overnight Stay

Day 11 Athens, Greece

Apropos of exactly nothing, I'm amused by the way the cruise line presents the ports. For day three and five they correctly identify the port, then parenthetically the typical attractions of these ports. Yet for day four they reverse the order, implying that they dock in Rome and folks flock to Civitavecchia.

As for dress, you are actually cooler if you wear loose fitting, light colored, light weight fabrics that cover your skin. In other words, long sleeves and full length pants as long as the fabric isn't clinging to your skin and is appropriately lightweight. This also reduces the need to keep reapplying sunscreen to already moist skin.

Guess, I'm in the minority on this one. The Med is hot in the summer and I want to be comfortable. I also like to pack light. Last June, I wore shorts and flip-flops or sandals every day on or 11 night cruise. I never felt out of place. I recommend light weight fast drying breathable clothes. If you plan on going inside religious buildings like mosques or churches get convertible pants. I recommend Columbia or ExOfficio. Great stuff. Really like the Columbia short sleeve fishing shirts. Be comfortable you're on vacation! Just my .02

Cheers

COMFORTABLE SHOES! There are cobblestones (and worse at the ruins), everywhere.

And clothing that doesn't look like you've been working in the garden or just stepped off the beach.

Jeans, tees & sneakers are fine, but think on the slightly upscale side and you'll look less like a tourist. Plus, if it's summer, the Med ports can be HOT.

No one will be offended (unless you're under-dressed when visiting holy places, some of which won't let you in), but if you want to look like you fit in, a tiny bit of dressed-to-impress won't hurt.

COMFORTABLE SHOES! There are cobblestones (and worse at the ruins), everywhere.

And clothing that doesn't look like you've been working in the garden or just stepped off the beach.

Jeans, tees & sneakers are fine, but think on the slightly upscale side and you'll look less like a tourist. Plus, if it's summer, the Med ports can be HOT.

No one will be offended (unless you're under-dressed when visiting holy places, some of which won't let you in), but if you want to look like you fit in, a tiny bit of dressed-to-impress won't hurt.

I will say the "jeans, tees & sneakers" were all over, not just in the Centro Storico. It was just what everyone, from kids to oldsters were wearing. I was out in the boonies of Rome a couple of times, and the staying was the same. If not a tee, then a basic long-sleeve button up. In the evening, I was surprised to see a lot of people using puffy jackets in varying length as the outerwear. Add in a scarf as part of the uniform and it was Roman all the way. The "upscale" part was the brand of the jeans ;) There were black pants out in the evening, but not in the daytime. If someone wasn't in jeans, they were "women of a certain age" in what looked to be tan polyester pants… Now, mind you, it was still Spring and not the throes of a nasty, hot, sticky Summer day where you are exposed to the elements all day long while standing in lines. While I wouldn't use my zip-offs, I'd bring a pair of pants where you an roll and button up the bottoms from long to less-long (or for you capri-lovers, from capri to knee-knocker length).

For my shoes in the daytime, I had a new pair of Sperry Topsiders that were a cool washed/distressed salmon canvas color. The insoles were cushy, but I removed them (yes, the insoles ARE removable) and put in my custom orthotic insoles. It was very comfy - like I was walking barefoot everywhere. I had put some waterproofing on them before I left, so they were still good on the couple of rainy days I had. My engineer boots were what I wore at night with my jeans or my black pants.

For the poster who said they loved the Columbia fishing shirts - take a look at some of the ExOfficio fishing shirts. I've got some Airstrip Lite shirts (they unfortunately don't make them for women anymore) that are extremely comfortable, even in 109 degree heat in the Sahara desert!

Edited by slidergirl

For the poster who said they loved the Columbia fishing shirts - take a look at some of the ExOfficio fishing shirts. I've got some Airstrip Lite shirts (they unfortunately don't make them for women anymore) that are extremely comfortable, even in 109 degree heat in the Sahara desert!

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

I've been buying the Columbia Tamiami II shirts for the last couple of years. Wear well and keep me cool. I love them!

Plus, flip flops ruin your feet! You will be walking miles and most of it is over cobblestone streets. And jeans are much too warm to wear in the med during the summer. You can buy good quality sandals made for walking.

Bingo! I wouldn't be caught dead in flip flops in my own self interest! Flip flops offer no support and when I travel in Europe I walk. I'd much rather wear a shoe that makes my foot comfortable and safe for sightseeing. That means a closed toe shoe with some sort of arch support. That's protection against twisting my foot and scraping exposed toes in the process.

No need to wear anything as elaborate as low-top hiking boots! Athletic shoes with good arch support works just fine along with thin, wicking low-cut socks. If you're bound and determined to wear sandals, at least wear a fisherman's style sandal with essentially closed toes and a something in the way of arch support.

Go to any athletic shoe store and look at their fisherman's sandals.

... Piazza Navona (Rome) ... The temps were in the mid 90s and it was humid. Along came a tour group of British Ladies wearing their wool skirts, heavy shirts, and sturdy walking shoes.

I'm not recommending wool skirts, but I'll put in a strong vote for ladies wearing a skirt. If you buy one with a some density to the material -- denim or twill are two examples -- and a style that lets the skirt stand away from your body, the result is much, much cooler than wearing shorts. This recommendation doesn't work with filmy fabric, the gauzy kind that drapes against the body. But the right skirt is much more comfortable than shorts in my experience.

I'm not recommending wool skirts, but I'll put in a strong vote for ladies wearing a skirt. If you buy one with a some density to the material -- denim or twill are two examples -- and a style that lets the skirt stand away from your body, the result is much, much cooler than wearing shorts. This recommendation doesn't work with filmy fabric, the gauzy kind that drapes against the body. But the right skirt is much more comfortable than shorts in my experience.

Also handy if you meet one of the dreaded "squattie potties". :eek: They're not especially common in Italy, but they are not unheard of either. I found some in Verona recently.

Also handy if you meet one of the dreaded "squattie potties". :eek: They're not especially common in Italy, but they are not unheard of either. I found some in Verona recently.

DW had a big laugh when I read her this post. I confess that is not something men think about :)

Hank

Since the number of squattie potties has dramatically decreased in the decades we've been traveling in Europe, I decided not to mention that little nugget of information, but you're so correct. There was a time when squattie potties were more likely than Western commodes in France and in Italy. Their incidence was much higher in the south than in the north, but there were surprising exceptions to that generalization.

One of the most highly regarded restaurants in Venice, Alle Testiere, had squattie potties in the ladies room as recently as 2006. Our first meal there in 2001 included great food and a great plumbing shock. On our second trip, I deliberately made a trip to the ladies room to see if the situation had improved. Sadly, it had not. Anyone with recent toilette intelligence for Alle Testiere is invited to share!

We all like to talk about visiting destinations before they are ruined by an influx of tourists. I, for one, am delighted that the tourists have created a movement away from squattie potties!