This happen to anybody else?

We all know how engaging the roll calls can get. New members, funny posts, group excursions, etc.

2 outta the last 3 roll calls (pretty active) there was an active poster that just disappeared 2-3 weeks before departure. One time this nice guy would regularly put out fantastic pics for months and Poof-He was gone. Never again on the thread and not on the ship.

Could it be, that some folks enjoy the roll calls so much they just want to chat with other cruzers, even though no trip is planned???

Last roll call someone wanted name tags that I was doing. Only wanted the first name on it although the other 105 wanted full name. Dropped off the face of the earth and never picked up their name tag. Guess they just wished to see what was going on.

I have never noticed that happening, although a few times people I expected to see at the meet and greet didn't show up. Sometimes ran into them later in the cruise, sometimes not...

I suppose some people might want to get involved in the roll call, perhaps they are not able to cruise for some reason and want to feel the excitement of the planning and be a part of the anticipation? Or it could be that something came up suddenly that caused them to have to cancel the cruise? A sudden death in the family might be something that was so traumatic that they didn't hop back on to let you all know they couldn't make it. Or perhaps the spouse wasn't interested in getting together with people they had not been in contact with. I know my hubby is usually not enthusiastic because he isn't on CC, but will go along with me to the meet and greet.

I've seen it happen where the person who originally started the roll call and was active for well over a year in keeping it a great roll call didn't show up at the Meet & Greet party. Throughout the cruise, we would ask if anyone had seen or heard from him. Nobody I spoke with had. I finally ran into him on day 13 of our 15 day cruise. I recognized him from pictures he had posted on the roll call. He had missed the party as it was held at an inconvenient time for him.

I agree with LuLu. Some people really enjoy the pre-cruise talk and sharing the anticipation with others, but don't want to meet F2F. And maybe they just don't want to offend anyone by announcing a decision not to meet.

I think sometimes too that people get on the ship and just start having fun and quickly rearrange their priorities.

I love the roll calls and activities. Each cruise we have had cabin crawls, meet and greets, etc planned. On our Breeze cruise we attended the informal meet and greet at sail away, but bad weather killed the rest of our activities we had planned. On Liberty we had a bunch of activities and attended all of them. It was a blast! However, on our Sunshine cruise we had planned a meet and greet and I am guilty of forgetting about it. I had found a longer on an upper deck to sun myself and I may or may not have fallen asleep and slept thru the event. Sorry peeps! DH attended for me though. :)

We all know how engaging the roll calls can get. New members, funny posts, group excursions, etc.

2 outta the last 3 roll calls (pretty active) there was an active poster that just disappeared 2-3 weeks before departure. One time this nice guy would regularly put out fantastic pics for months and Poof-He was gone. Never again on the thread and not on the ship.

Could it be, that some folks enjoy the roll calls so much they just want to chat with other cruzers, even though no trip is planned???

Yeah, well people like to be sociable up to a point.

Also, when a roll call swells to large (75 or more people maybe), they may not want to be herded around on vacation by a travel agent that set up a roll call on facebook or a board.

I'm just guessing, but there are no obligations. However, that's why some meet and greets resulting from roll calls require advance paypal payment to the organizer to participate in onboard.

Maybe too just a corporate operative checking the pulse, demographic and/or personalities of a certain upcoming sailing by region, ship or date.

Yeah, well people like to be sociable up to a point.

Also, when a roll call swells to large (75 or more people maybe), they may not want to be herded around on vacation by a travel agent that set up a roll call on facebook or a board.

I'm just guessing, but there are no obligations. However, that's why some meet and greets resulting from roll calls require advance paypal payment to the organizer to participate in onboard.

Maybe too just a corporate operative checking the pulse, demographic and/or personalities of a certain upcoming sailing by region, ship or date.

Have people actually had that happen? I have been on several roll calls and never had that happen :confused:

I have never had to pay money for anything, and generally will drop in at meet and greet. Other than that - sometimes run across people on the ship by the pool or in the dining room in passing - and often times we have booked the same excursions. That has been the extent of my involvement, it is usually just the fun of sharing the anticipation of the cruise with others who will be on the same cruise and bouncing ideas off one another.

I will chat it up in a roll call, but the odds of me going to anything onboard are very, very slim. Its not my thing. Unless the meet and greet happened to be at the craps table at 11pm the first night.

There is a huge difference of looking at people's postings and see what others have planned for the island and tossing out some of my own comments about excitement building when compared to chatting someone in person when I may have zero in common with the person short of the cruise bug.

The one CC meet and greet I attended had about 3X the number of people in attendance than on the roll call. It turned into a complaint session for the CD, Malcolm, on the Miracle. Kinda like some threads here on CC.

I will chat it up in a roll call, but the odds of me going to anything onboard are very, very slim. Its not my thing. Unless the meet and greet happened to be at the craps table at 11pm the first night.

There is a huge difference of looking at people's postings and see what others have planned for the island and tossing out some of my own comments about excitement building when compared to chatting someone in person when I may have zero in common with the person short of the cruise bug.

I have to agree with this post. I have joined the roll call for my cruise in Oct on this board, on Facebook and on the Ship Mate app. This will be my first cruise so I thought it would be great to be able to talk to not only other cruisers, but ones that will be going on the same ship as me. I didn't join the roll calls with any intention of hanging out with any of them on my vacation (no offense).

I mean, if I really clicked with someone or a few people, I might want to make arrangements to meet up. But as far as spending my vacation with everyone in these roll calls, that won't happen. And actually, it can't happen because I'll be sailing as part of a group already and will be attending seminars, other events onboard, and excursions with them anyway.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Have people actually had that happen? I have been on several roll calls and never had that happen :confused:

I have never had to pay money for anything, and generally will drop in at meet and greet. Other than that - sometimes run across people on the ship by the pool or in the dining room in passing - and often times we have booked the same excursions. That has been the extent of my involvement, it is usually just the fun of sharing the anticipation of the cruise with others who will be on the same cruise and bouncing ideas off one another.

When the meet and greet is coordinated with the ship I have seen fees pass.

Yeah, we pretty much have the same outlook on these.

I have never had to pay money for anything, and generally will drop in at meet and greet.

the poster could be referring to certain roll calls that set up a private cocktail party onboard - they arrange it through group services in advance before the cruise - typically for a bar or lounge like the piano bar, and there's a pre-determined hour or 2 hour open bar with or without snacks, etc. it has to be paid in advance by the organizing person, who in that case may require payment up front via paypal or other means, so they're not stuck with the bill if people from the roll call don't show up.

the poster could be referring to certain roll calls that set up a private cocktail party onboard - they arrange it through group services in advance before the cruise - typically for a bar or lounge like the piano bar, and there's a pre-determined hour or 2 hour open bar with or without snacks, etc. it has to be paid in advance by the organizing person, who in that case may require payment up front via paypal or other means, so they're not stuck with the bill if people from the roll call don't show up.

Got it - thanks for the explanation! :) We have always just met on the Lido or something after embarkation.... I probably wouldn't go for this because I usually cruise with others and while I have gotten to know these people via CC, the others generally don't do that. So a quick drop by with a drink on Lido to say hello and then seeing them here and there is the extent of my involvement once on board.

I love the roll calls, but have only met up with people a handful of times. Once was an organized M&G on a RC cruise, once was a cabin crawl, once was a hi there, nice to meet you on Lido.

We tend to travel with friends & none of them seem interested (including DH) in meeting other cruisers in any organized activity. However, we all have a great time striking up conversations with random people on our cruises.

There have been times when I planned to go to a M&G but got busy having fun & forgot.

Guilty here. I posted in several Roll Call threads. I even started one or two of them. But I only went to one Meet & Greet... and I was late. I did meet two nice CCer before that Meet & Greet since somehow we shared a table for breakfast. :)

We usually gauge our participation on the roll call, the people in it, and the participation at the meet and greet during sail away. Sometimes we are really active, other times we just meet a few people, and decide that we just don't want to be that social.

Other times we get into the same thing where we are just having too much fun to make time for the meet and greets and other things.