Where is the OFFICIAL notice of dining policy changes?

garycarla

Okay, there appear to be a few dozen threads and hundreds of posts. But, I have not seen any official word as to what is and is not the policy, buffet, etc. Or effective date.

Does anyone have this?

And, please, we know many are upset, leaving ,etc. We do not need more discussion about the impact, but instead just need the facts.

Does anyone have them?

AND - if it has been posted many times, I beg forgiveness.

Edited by garycarla

Okay, there appear to be a few dozen threads and hundreds of posts. But, I have not seen any official word as to what is and is not the policy, buffet, etc. Or effective date.

Does anyone have this?

And, please, we know many are upset, leaving ,etc. We do not need more discussion about the impact, but instead just need the facts.

Does anyone have them?

They will post on the website soon. I received a call today from their executives offices (305) 436-4000 since I wrote them an email asking for official confirmation. The lady in the phone clarified (and ratified) that there is indeed a mandatory $7.95 room service charge for each order placed after 10am* in all their ships. *Continental breakfast before 10am is still delivered for free.

She also confirmed that there is no food allowed in cabins, except from room service. Restaurants will decline bagging it or boxing it.

I mentioned they should post something on their website given all the to-and-fro on the Internet and she said they are working on it. No ETA, unfortunately.

Good question.

I and many many others have called, emailed, asked the pop up box on their page, tweeted and posted on their FB page asked for an official statement- no response.

How was the Allure? We're thinking of booking the Med trip in Oct

She also confirmed that there is no food allowed in cabins, except from room service. Restaurants will decline bagging it or boxing it.

Hopefully NCL will also put in the post what the consequences are for taking food back to the cabin.

Edited by gwsster

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

About as clear as mud... but there you go. The ONLY response NCL has given directly in public print to date that I know of (lots of email responses and phone call responses, though).

I emailed the London office of Guest relations NCL this was the email reply

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the recent changes implemented fleet wide.

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment, we ask that guests enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

We are always looking to enhance the guest experience onboard and as a part of that continuously try out new menus, services and amenities at various times throughout the year.

So in order to keep their environment beautifully clean Ive decided I will pack some zip lock bags and plastic tubs so when I visit the buffet and fancy a snack I can put the snack in my zip lock bag or plastic container (nice and clean) and put these in my rucksack to carry back to my cabin (still nice and clean) and enjoy eating it my cabin (environment in my cabin will be no different than if I was eating from room service )

this could be the way to go folks? :p

Well it's certainly my plan when we sail our first NCL cruise in July with 3 grandkids aged 5, 7 and 10. I wish the crew member luck that tries to wrestle a cookie out of the 5 year olds hand as she exits the buffet en route to the kids club :)

Sue

My plan too. I'd be interested to see how they're going to implement it and what the consequences will be. Will we be subjected to strip searches, food scanners, sniffer dogs! Will they ban purses or backpacks from the buffet? Will the cabin stewards have to be the informers? That room safe could come in handy! :confused:

Does NCL seriously not realize just how stupid a rule this is? All the scenario's that are posted will at some point happen. Just how do they think they are going to enforce this no food rule in the cabins?

What's next...hall passes? Potty times???? Feels like we're children again and have to listen to mommy and daddy.

NCL...Contrary to what you think. You are NOT the only cruise line around. No other cruise line has these stupid stupid rules that someone in your company is laying awake thinking up.

Does NCL seriously not realize just how stupid a rule this is? All the scenario's that are posted will at some point happen. Just how do they think they are going to enforce this no food rule in the cabins?

What's next...hall passes? Potty times???? Feels like we're children again and have to listen to mommy and daddy.

NCL...Contrary to what you think. You are NOT the only cruise line around. No other cruise line has these stupid stupid rules that someone in your company is laying awake thinking up.

Yes- it will feel like boarding school not a cruise!

My plan too. I'd be interested to see how they're going to implement it and what the consequences will be. Will we be subjected to strip searches, food scanners, sniffer dogs! Will they ban purses or backpacks from the buffet? Will the cabin stewards have to be the informers? That room safe could come in handy! :confused:

My first NCL cruise so this is very disturbing. In the mornings, on a typical cruise, i bring back to my cabin Cappuccino and some cookies or bread based snack I take meds that require food immediately but do not want to eat breakfast. So I have to either bring a box of crackers from home now or take meds in buffet area. Sounds like nursery school! A horrible silly policy clearly designed to force guest to pay a service charge for room service. I hope by my cruise in august NCL will discontinue this nonsense.

Edited by Cruise a holic

" enhance the guest experience "

Look for theses words to know that you are being screwed. The key phrase now in business when you are raising prices, eliminating complimentary options, or adding a fee.

We have noted that passengers complaints have arisen concerning arrival times of their luggage to their cabins, So we have eliminated the wait time in order " enhance the guest experience. " Commencing immediately all guests will carry their own luggage on board TOTALLY eliminating cumbersome wait times. This will of course require some changes to our boarding policies. To assist in facilitating these changes a " nominal fee " of 7.95 will be imposed to allow you to carry on your own luggage. In the rare instance where a passenger cannot carry two suitcase, make up bag and two carry on's up the gangway we will provide " extra enhanced service " of doing so for you for a SLIGHT and NOMINAL " convenience fee of $85 a bag.

Thank you for flying Norwegian cruiselines

George in NY

Does anyone have this?

Does anyone have them?

Thanks to those that have shared some "facts". To those that have not noticed the other 25 threads with lots of places to share opinions, well....

I emailed the London office of Guest relations NCL this was the email reply

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the recent changes implemented fleet wide.

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment, we ask that guests enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

We are always looking to enhance the guest experience onboard and as a part of that continuously try out new menus, services and amenities at various times throughout the year.

So in order to keep their environment beautifully clean Ive decided I will pack some zip lock bags and plastic tubs so when I visit the buffet and fancy a snack I can put the snack in my zip lock bag or plastic container (nice and clean) and put these in my rucksack to carry back to my cabin (still nice and clean) and enjoy eating it my cabin (environment in my cabin will be no different than if I was eating from room service )

this could be the way to go folks? :p

So Haven guests will still be able to order from anywhere and get it delivered to their room, correct? But if I was staying in the Haven and wanted something from the buffet, I wouldn't be able to get it myself and would have to ask the butler?

My first NCL cruise so this is very disturbing. In the mornings, on a typical cruise, i bring back to my cabin Cappuccino and some cookies or bread based snack I take meds that require food immediately but do not want to eat breakfast. So I have to either bring a box of crackers from home now or take meds in buffet area. Sounds like nursery school! A horrible silly policy clearly designed to force guest to pay a service charge for room service. I hope by my cruise in august NCL will discontinue this nonsense.

That was my initial worry as I also take medication first thing in the morning that requires me to eat at the same time.

However, it appears from the above copied email received by glittergal1 that coffee and pastries or similar will still be free of any charge before 10.00am on room service.

So I will carry on with my room service lite breakfast first thing and eat properly later - can you not do the same?

That was my initial worry as I also take medication first thing in the morning that requires me to eat at the same time.

However, it appears from the above copied email received by glittergal1 that coffee and pastries or similar will still be free of any charge before 10.00am on room service.

So I will carry on with my room service lite breakfast first thing and eat properly later - can you not do the same?

Some posts from experienced cruisers on the ships that were testing the new food service charges said that the old RS menu of coffee, juices, pastries, etc. on the door hanger card were the ones being supplied without the fee between 6 AM and 10 AM. If you want the new hot items on the menu then you pay the fee.

NCL responded to someone who asked about snacks and you can still take snacks and coffee back to your room. Just no full meals. So your banana bread or cookies etc will be fine

Some posts from experienced cruisers on the ships that were testing the new food service charges said that the old RS menu of coffee, juices, pastries, etc. on the door hanger card were the ones being supplied without the fee between 6 AM and 10 AM. If you want the new hot items on the menu then you pay the fee.

This is good news! At least if I desire, I can order a continental type breakfast- but I will try the coffee machine in the suite also.

So Haven guests will still be able to order from anywhere and get it delivered to their room, correct? But if I was staying in the Haven and wanted something from the buffet, I wouldn't be able to get it myself and would have to ask the butler?

wth sends a butler to the buffet??

NCL has not updated their website or contacted people with booked cruises about these changes because they don't want you to know about them until you are on board when it is too late to do anything about it!!!

The problem NCL is creating for itself is that it's clearly choosing not to communicate their new policies. Communication goes a long way and it feels like they're hiding. Like it or not,the bottom line is that it's a corporation that is in business to make money and if these fees " work" at all for them,the other lines will almost surely follow. Capitalism at work. I was a TA back in the late 90s,and it only took one carrier to decide to take the plunge and cut commissions entirely...they pretty much all gleefully followed. I left the industry because people didn't want to pay fees for me to do the legwork. The office became a bit stressful as the work dried up a bit and it wasn't fun anymore.

I was on Carnival's CC page and their frequent cruisers are very up in arms about the way their policies are changing over there as well.

As they all roll out the newest,latest and greatest mega ships,they've got to figure out a way to pay for them and operate them while being able to turn a profit..the whole point of them being in business. Unless a majority of frequent cruisers put their feet down and switch to land based vacations,this is just another round of purse string tightening. Cruising has evolved a great deal over the years and will continue to do so,not always to the benefit of those that take the cruises.

NCL responded to someone who asked about snacks and you can still take snacks and coffee back to your room. Just no full meals. So your banana bread or cookies etc will be fine

That's good to hear. So my kids can bring back a cookie or ice cream cone with them?