Del Rio's EXACT comments on the recent Fees and Price Increases

Kenlorz

I have listened to the conference call in question and missed this statement. Could you please direct me to the time stamp in the call where this is said, I don't want to listen to the whole thing again.

Actually that was taken from the article quoted in post 75.

I would read "slightly more affluent and discerning first time guests" to mean passengers on competition generally viewed as having more affluent cruisers such as RCI. Not upscale, not luxury, but simply "slightly more affluent". NCLH already has two lines and the ships to attract the upscale or luxury passengers away from Crystal.

Everyone seems to gloss over the phrase about enticing past guests to return. "More changes" could be good for some of us, especially since the ones complained about here so far don't seem too bad to my cruising style.

If you read the quotes by Del Rio in post 75 you will see his goal is far more reaching than what you think.

Good for you. I would cancel as well, but for the fact that we have a group, and it just isn't feasible. As for not being affected by the changes, everyone is affected. If one thinks this won't expand, they are very naive!

Check out the yacht club on MSC. Also, most of the mainstream lines are adding private restaurants, lounges, etc for suite passengers. The days of NCL offering "more" than the others seem to be over.

We had a group as well, two families three suites. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before returning to NCL. Once the dust settles it may be worth it again but until that point, time to try the other side of the fence. Just not Carnival they are just awful[emoji23]

I disagree. The Internet is a wonderful tool, especially when one is displeased. FDR may not admit it, but he's watching.

THIS!

I know it to be fact. Ask me how? I had the privilege of speaking to the executive office a short while ago regarding a cabin issue on our most recent cruise, and the person I spoke with acknowledged that one of the main arteries used by NCL for feedback is INDEED Cruise Critic boards. They are aware of us and do have personnel that "peruse" these very threads.

FDR is just ignoring that fact, plain and simple. I think that's his intention although I completely disagree with his "gameplan." As mentioned, only time will tell..

THIS!

I know it to be fact. Ask me how? I had the privilege of speaking to the executive office a short while ago regarding a cabin issue on our most recent cruise, and the person I spoke with acknowledged that one of the main arteries used by NCL for feedback is INDEED Cruise Critic boards. They are aware of us and do have personnel that "peruse" these very threads.

FDR is just ignoring that fact, plain and simple. I think that's his intention although I completely disagree with his "gameplan." As mentioned, only time will tell..

We know that NCL monitor these boards - they used to respond sometimes.

The 'court of public opinion' is a strong adversary - many CEOs, politicans etc. have found that one out to their cost. The 'court of public opinion' has a much louder voice nowadays due to the internet and social media.

All it needs is something to go viral and the reputational and fiscal damage could be colossal.;)

Arrogant CEOs can kill a company in one sentence (Google Gerald Ratner).

It is all very well thinking 'let's get in new, gullible, moneyed, spending customers' - if those potential customers see that they will be treated as 'a captive audience' and a cash cow then they won't buy in.

FDR is on a road to ruin unless he sorts out his PR machine and his attitude to his customer base (IMHO).

FDR is on a road to ruin unless he sorts out his PR machine and his attitude to his customer base (IMHO).

and that has been the point all along. The lack of communication. You just can't run a business that way. People cannot be treated like that - they can and will go elsewhere. Astute posters realize this. The others just seem to want to argue - over everything.

and that has been the point all along. The lack of communication. You just can't run a business that way. People cannot be treated like that - they can and will go elsewhere. Astute posters realize this. The others just seem to want to argue - over everything.

Yup--been saying that for months...! COMMUNICATION WITH AND RESPECT FOR THE CUSTOMER....GOES A LONG WAY..

Thank you OP for the info and the link . I believe FDR is too clever by half . He pretends that his changes have had no impact on his customers and their future intentions . The truth is he doesn't know the impact yet. Nor do I . Having said that , there is a lot of anger here. (I believe it is warranted but so what) The question here is do comments made on social media sites have an significant impact , specifically CC posts ? On the one hand anyone can complain here promising to never cruise with NCL and then still book with them . Also roll calls rarely approach 5% of the total pax on any sailing .

On the other hand we may represent a larger group . I listened to a CEO state that every complaint actually represents another 20 people who didn't bother to complain but merely wrote off that company . He said that these complainers should be thanked as they were actually giving good feedback to the company .

We hadn't cruised Norwegian before. We would still consider it but the price would have to be quite low as it seems they have decided to nickle and dime (sorry a la carte pricing) their customers . I do know that DW and I are considered to be the cruising mavens among our friends and family . We are more then happy to share our opinions and this is our opinion .

Edited by richstowe

But isn't that how all businesses work. A business doesn't pay for anything (they don't pay overhead, they don't pay employee salaries, they don't pay manufactures for the products they sell, etc.), their customers pay for everything with the profit the company makes off them....it is just how business works.

Also, wasn't Mr. Sheehan in control when they acquired all this debt.

CCL's debt equity ratio is about one third of their market value while NCLH's debt is almost double their market value.

All businesses DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

But isn't that how all businesses work. A business doesn't pay for anything (they don't pay overhead, they don't pay employee salaries, they don't pay manufactures for the products they sell, etc.), their customers pay for everything with the profit the company makes off them....it is just how business works.

Also, wasn't Mr. Sheehan in control when they acquired all this debt.

Agree with this - BUT - if you lose your paying customers the whole house of cards collapses.

NCL are doing a wonderful job of pissing off a tranche of customers who used to go to NCL as their first choice. Speaking personally, they are now well down our list of vacation choices (even though we are Platinum cruisers with NCL).

This year, Princess gets our vacation pounds. Better value all ways round - and - more importantly - no last minute piss-balling around with the charges and T&Cs (which are all cheaper than NCL to start with anyway).

Edited by SteveH2508

Agree with this - BUT - if you lose your paying customers the whole house of cards collapses.

NCL are doing a wonderful job of pissing off a tranche of customers who used to go to NCL as their first choice. Speaking personally, they are now well down our list of vacation choices (even though we are Platinum cruisers).

This year, Princess gets our vacation pounds. Better value all ways round - and - more importantly - no last minute piss-balling around with the charges and T&Cs (which are all cheaper than NCL to start with anyway).

I don't think NCL will lose that many nor do I believe the doom and gloom some are saying. On Celebrity, when they made a change to their loyalty club, many of their "loyal" customer threatened to cancel their cruises and leave and never cruise with them again. Funny thing, they are all still posting and cruising. I think that for every one who does leave, there will be new customers to take their place. NCL has a niche and I think cruisers new to cruising will embrace them for what they offer and you have to remember, they will have no idea what a horrible job NCL did in the implementation of these new charges. Edited by NLH Arizona

So true....makes me wonder where NCL will be next year and beyond....

Probably humming along just fine, but with a modified/different overal demographic in their clientele base.

Edited by Beaver1975

I don't think NCL will lose that many nor do I believe the doom and gloom some are saying. On Celebrity, when they made a change to their loyalty club, many of their "loyal" customer threatened to cancel their cruises and leave and never cruise with them again. Funny thing, they are all still posting and cruising. I think that for every one who does leave, there will be new customers to take their place. NCL has a niche and I think cruisers new to cruising will embrace them for what they offer and you have to remember, they will have no idea what a horrible job NCL did in the implementation of these new charges.

You are probably right (unfortunately). They have made it clear that they are not really interested in the European market and repeat customers. No sailngs from UK; withdrawing Jade and Spirit during the winter; no new-build ship in Europe; boring same old itineraries; 'dumping' Epic (the runt of the litter) on Europe; playing silly buggers with charges -the list goes on.

We stuck with them for a time - we Europeans are clearly not valued (by corporate - the ship staff were wonderful) so we move on.

Our $2000+ OB bills will go to another companies coffers - well done FDR.:rolleyes:

You are probably right (unfortunately). They have made it clear that they are not really interested in the European market and repeat customers. No sailngs from UK; withdrawing Jade and Spirit during the winter; no new-build ship in Europe; boring same old itineraries; 'dumping' Epic (the runt of the litter) on Europe; playing silly buggers with charges -the list goes on.

We stuck with them for a time - we Europeans are clearly not valued (by corporate - the ship staff were wonderful) so we move on.

Our $2000+ OB bills will go to another companies coffers - well done FDR.:rolleyes:

Hear the same story on Celebrity, because there are a lot of promotions for US only and they get pretty ticked off.

Hope you find a line that give you everything you are looking for and can enjoy many more wonderful cruises.

Hear the same story on Celebrity, because there are a lot of promotions for US only and they get pretty ticked off.

Hope you find a line that give you everything you are looking for and can enjoy many more wonderful cruises.

Thank you for the kind wishes - I know we have crossed swords over the recent NCL silly buggers antics - I would be glad to return to NCL in the future - there are many things about them I like - but, at present, they do not provide either value for money or peace of mind to me.

I am a cynical old bugger - I do not do 'corporate loyalty' normally. I did have a certain loyalty to NCL - that has now gone - I will not be taken as a mug or a mark which is what NCL/FDR are doing to their customers at present.

Thank you for the kind wishes - I know we have crossed swords over the recent NCL silly buggers antics - I would be glad to return to NCL in the future - there are many things about them I like - but, at present, they do not provide either value for money or peace of mind to me.

I am a cynical old bugger - I do not do 'corporate loyalty' normally. I did have a certain loyalty to NCL - that has now gone - I will not be taken as a mug or a mark which is what NCL/FDR are doing to their customers at present.

I'm loyal to three different cruise lines and whenever I feel I don't get my value from a company for my cruising dollars, I'd leave.

My I suggest you look at Celebrity and Crystal, I recommend them highly. Two different cruising experiences, but both great.

BTW, I never take anything said on here personally!!!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm loyal to three different cruise lines and whenever I feel I don't get my value from a company for my cruising dollars, I'd leave.

My I suggest you look at Celebrity and Crystal, I recommend them highly. Two different cruising experiences, but both great.

BTW, I never take anything said on here personally!!!

We have a Princess cruise booked for July for a seriously good price (also they give UK military OBC which helps the fuzzy warm feeling):D. We have sailed Princess before and enjoyed it. Celebrity is on our radar as well in the future.

Probably humming along just fine, but with a modified/different overal demographic in their clientele base.

That does appear to be Del Rio's goal. Again, nothing wrong with wanting to change your business model many did like the old NCL and are saddened to see it go.

And with that therein lies the question - all this debt - is FDR expecting us to pay it off for him.

Certainly would not want it to come out of his own pocket or the Board of Directors and stockholders who made the business decision.

Got this neat idea to have the "Captive Audience" pay the bill through all those fancy fees; surcharges and promos which with the increased fares you

wind up paying the same if not more and then the calculated risk of the consumer not using all the promo benefits thus more added revenue.

I am surprised that with this rush to pay off the debt that NCL & FDR haven't resorted to pay telephone service and toilets and tolls to go ashore and life

vest rental fees and the epitomy of insult a mandatory fee to attend the life boat muster.

Appears that NCL & FDR are sailing upstream against the current and trying to run the ship of state over a falls (Whoops that is not possible running up

stream) !

Oh well dream the impossible dream and fight some windmills there is a mad man at the helm wanting your money and dreams!

Of course he's expecting us to pay it off...that's why it was incurred to begin with.

It seems to me that FDR wants to make NCL the Tar-geh of cruising, and move its reputation away from being the WalMart thereof.

Along with PhDUndersea, we're also in his sweet spot. He wants us, he's already got us....and needs to tread carefully so we don't bail.

FDR:

Here's what I love about NCL:

- feels like a family. Klaus is a master at training HDs to engage personnel to the extent that they treat passengers like guests.

- casual - I hate formality so this important.

- basic food. I hated Princess' food because everything contained an allergen I couldn't eat it.

Stephen

NCL struggled with the ex UK market the Baltic cruises were 12 days, now do the same ports from Copenhagen in 9 days similar money.

Cruising south from the UK is a hard sell people prefer to fly and avoid 4 sea days and the Bay.

The UK prices for NCL Europe cruises are very good, tomorrows 9 night Baltic on the Star was $600 OV with UBP loads cheaper than the US and we had $20 flights from Stansted. could have still got flights today for <£100. Baltic cruise with drinks for <£50pppd bargain.

The Jade and Spirit are often cheaper UK priced than US.

Swapping them for the Epic over winter is a refresh, new ship to attract new/repeat business looking for something new.

Expect Epic Dec and Jan pricing to be very good set aside some time for those.

Cruise lines are all trying to protect the US pricing so regional discounting will be on the rise look for £ and € pricing late deals.

Princes do it every year flog the left over cabins ex UK to the brits on the cheap.

Of course he's expecting us to pay it off...that's why it was incurred to begin with.

It seems to me that FDR wants to make NCL the Tar-geh of cruising, and move its reputation away from being the WalMart thereof.

Along with PhDUndersea, we're also in his sweet spot. He wants us, he's already got us....and needs to tread carefully so we don't bail.

FDR:

Here's what I love about NCL:

- feels like a family. Klaus is a master at training HDs to engage personnel to the extent that they treat passengers like guests.

- casual - I hate formality so this important.

- basic food. I hated Princess' food because everything contained an allergen I couldn't eat it.

Stephen

I would only change one statement:

- feels like a family. Klaus is a master at training HDs to engage personnel to the extent that they treat guests like family.

I don't know if the word "passenger" can even be associated with Klaus!

As an aside...

People keep mentioning the fact that FDR want to make NCL a competitor in the premium market as though this is something new.

It is not.

Kevin Sheehan said all along that his vision for NCL was to change it to compete with the more upscale/premium lines. FDR is just running with that idea.

Now the whole "squeeze every last nickel out of them" is TOTALLY on FDR. :eek: As is the whole "market to fill" instead of "discount to fill" approach.

I cruise on Princess, Celebrity and NCL (because NCL sails out of ports I can drive to). The more affluent cruisers that Del Rio wants to attract absolutely despise the "nickel & diming" of these types of a la carte pricing. They also have more choices.

Personally, I hate the additional charges, like luggage fees on airlines or mandatory resort fees at hotels, and will avoid them if possible. I'd rather businesses be honest with me, and if that means they roll the charges into their prices, then so be it. Let me know at the beginning what you're charging me. Now, I know that I can avoid the room service charges. But it's still nickel and diming me, and I don't like it.

Will I still sail NCL out of local ports? Probably, at least until some other line comes in. But in ports at which I have a choice, probably not.

The thing is, "market to fill" works. It's been Oceania's philosophy since FDR founded it, and it extended successfully to Regent when it became part of the family. Both sail gainfully full.

As far as "upscale" is concerned, it's a relative term. Oceania is already Upper Premium ( or "luxury light") and Regent is true all-inclusive luxury. There is no reason to move NCL towards those levels. But frankly, and I say thus as a Platinum member of NCL with a cruise booked, people outside the "Old Guard" of NCL consider the line to be at the bottom of the chain. Many, many people who regularly sail Celebrity and HAL, which are often considered to be premium, shudder at the thought of sailing NCL. My iwn strategy is to never sail the largest shios, never sail NCL in the Caribbean, only sail when school is in session, always sail longer than 7 days and try to sail to Europe, South America or Central America. An example is our next NCL cruise on Pearl to Panama for 11 days in November.

The ships, itineraries and times we avoid are what others consider thevreason to avoid NCL. I suppose I'll get flamed for that, but that's jystcshooting the messenger. Of course there are exceptions (I'm one, preferring to sail on Oceania and booked on the 6 month Oceania World Cruise next January), but the ecceptions prove the rule. I sail NCL when my budget is too tight to sail Oceania. Other than river cruises, they are ny 1 - 2 choices.

Do not disagree at all. NCL is thought of as the bottom of the food chain by many. It needs to improve its' image. I cannot imagine anyone reading some of the "complaint" threads and thinking about how NCL must look with food plates laying outside of the doors in the hallway. And, it sounds like customers want to add more to that by taking food back to their rooms.

There needs to be a compromise somewhere. As previously suggested, perhaps one "free" room service a day would help. It sounds like some NCL passengers are camping on NCL rather than realizing that they are not on a remote mountain somewhere ........ they can get food 24/7 ...... no need to hoard snacks in the cabin. Or, another suggestion..... perhaps NCL could make fruit bars, protein bars and other packaged snacks available to take to the cabins. Passengers with disabilities may require "included" or "free" room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Is there really a need for unlimited room service where each child can order whatever they want...... whenever they want? Where a family with 3 children could order room service 6-8 times per day? Obviously room service costs NCL money. If NCL raises their fares, it affects everyone. By charging for room service, it affect only passengers who use room service.

Do not disagree at all. NCL is thought of as the bottom of the food chain by many. It needs to improve its' image. I cannot imagine anyone reading some of the "complaint" threads and thinking about how NCL must look with food plates laying outside of the doors in the hallway. And, it sounds like customers want to add more to that by taking food back to their rooms.

There needs to be a compromise somewhere. As previously suggested, perhaps one "free" room service a day would help. It sounds like some NCL passengers are camping on NCL rather than realizing that they are not on a remote mountain somewhere ........ they can get food 24/7 ...... no need to hoard snacks in the cabin. Or, another suggestion..... perhaps NCL could make fruit bars, protein bars and other packaged snacks available to take to the cabins. Passengers with disabilities may require "included" or "free" room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Is there really a need for unlimited room service where each child can order whatever they want...... whenever they want? Where a family with 3 children could order room service 6-8 times per day? Obviously room service costs NCL money. If NCL raises their fares, it affects everyone. By charging for room service, it affect only passengers who use room service.

I really like this post. I'm not thrilled with a lot of the changes, even though they don't affect me personally. But, if I were new to NCL and reading a lot of these recent food threads, I'd have a really bad impression of the type of people that sail on NCL based on a lot of the comments. People behave like that are going to starve to death. I had sailed a few cruises before I ever joined CC, and I had no clue there was such a hang up about getting fed. Edited by LrgPizza