Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

The daily grat is distributed between 4 people that service you, the cabin Steward and his assistant, and the dinning room waiter and his assistant.

Thus the .95 cent increase is spread out to 4 people, .24 cent per person per day. Go to the front desk and have it removed if your level of service is not worth the extra .24 cents per service person per day. Keep it.

I think the confusion was in your first reply as it suggested the 4 pax should pay the .95 once and 'spread' it, which of course is not the case as we pay pp i.e. $3.80 to be 'spread'. Now you have clarified, I understand what you were implying. As I stated in my original reply, we do not have a problem with the extra grats ;).

In the end it is the same, you can go to the front desk and take away anything added to your on board account. Yes being in Select they require you pre pay the grats, but can not require that you leave them in place. If you feel the .95 cents is unwarranted, take it away from the 2 cabin Stewards, and the 2 servers in the Select area of the MDR. Keep it for what ever you need it for.

Again, I think you are missing Suzy's point. She's not saying she won't pay the extra grats. What she is querying is the way this will take place in other countries where the agreement is set on the original amount quoted, and is often part of a 'package' (including flights etc.). You agree on the package price from your TA which includes everything: cruise, flights, grats etc., and you pay a non refundable deposit based on that total amount. Consequently, she's asking how they can change/amend the amount after an agreement has been set and signed for - which would definitely be the case if you were Select dining? Will the TAs just take the knock?

Again, I think you are missing Suzy's point. She's not saying she won't pay the extra grats. What she is querying is the way this will take place in other countries where the agreement is set on the original amount quoted

Exactly! The grats are included in our invoice total, which states:

Total charge xxxx

Deposit paid xxxx

Balance due xxxx

UK booking conditions state:

Unless otherwise expressly noted, all prices are per person, based on double occupancy of the stateroom and are quoted in £ sterling. Celebrity Cruises Inc. reserves the right to increase its prices without prior notice; however, if you have confirmed your booking with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected. Celebrity Cruises separately assesses airport facility charges and certain departure taxes and other taxes/fees that are implemented by various governments or quasi-governmental bodies.

I would not dream of removing the grats or reducing them, I was simply querying whether X will have to honour the original price quoted for passengers in the UK, who have booked select dining and paid a non-refundable deposit.

Edited by Suzy Smith

I think the confusion was in your first reply as it suggested the 4 pax should pay the .95 once and 'spread' it, which of course is not the case as we pay pp i.e. $3.80 to be 'spread'. Now you have clarified, I understand what you were implying. As I stated in my original reply, we do not have a problem with the extra grats ;).

Again, I think you are missing Suzy's point. She's not saying she won't pay the extra grats. What she is querying is the way this will take place in other countries where the agreement is set on the original amount quoted, and is often part of a 'package' (including flights etc.). You agree on the package price from your TA which includes everything: cruise, flights, grats etc., and you pay a non refundable deposit based on that total amount. Consequently, she's asking how they can change/amend the amount after an agreement has been set and signed for - which would definitely be the case if you were Select dining? Will the TAs just take the knock?

Total charge xxxx

Deposit paid xxxx

Balance due xxxx

Unless otherwise expressly noted, all prices are per person, based on double occupancy of the stateroom and are quoted in £ sterling. Celebrity Cruises Inc. reserves the right to increase its prices without prior notice; however, if you have confirmed your booking with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected. Celebrity Cruises separately assesses airport facility charges and certain departure taxes and other taxes/fees that are implemented by various governments or quasi-governmental bodies.

I would not dream of removing the grats or reducing them, I was simply querying whether X will have to honour the original price quoted for passengers in the UK, who have booked select dining and paid a non-refundable deposit.

If we book Select dinning, in the U.S., we too are required to prepay the grats, and it will show the same way, so I truly understand where ya'll are coming from.

I am not saying you will or will not chose to pay the additional amount or not. Just that once your cruise has begun you can at that point remove any amount from what has been prepaid, or add more to it, whichever way you want. I have the same option once we are on ship.

It is just every time on every different board, when a Company makes a change of any type, someone always post about legal this or Attorney that. Like the legal dept has not vented the change to make sure it fits within the law's of the land.

Bottom line, notice was given with a time frame to not effect people already past final payment, and far enough in advance for those that have not made final to cancel. Final pymt is the benchmark point, not a deposit.

Anyway, if you have no issue with leaving the .95 cents in place, this is much to do about nothing.

I get so frustrated with this gratuities issue. It is time for Celebrity to add it to the pricing of the cruise. It is totally unfair that Select Dining pays up front and traditional dining can remove the tips if they wish. The tips should not be allowed to be removed. I know of many people who do this and some of them actually boast about it. And some of them have large OBC's.

We are now Elite Plus and looking forward to our next cruise in October.

So please don't remove the auto tips from your accounts

Ontario Cruiser

Total charge xxxx

Deposit paid xxxx

Balance due xxxx

Under UK Law the price you agreed when the non-refundable deposit is the price you pay at the end . Cel X could reduce it but not increase it.

I believe the UK (& possibly EU) laws are the reason why Cel X charge us a bit more than our friends across the pond :cool:

... Final pymt is the benchmark point, not a deposit...

I haven't gone back to my U.S. Booking Documents so I don't know or particularly care if my reserved future cruises will have an extra $14 or so added on due to this increase. But you did not read Suzy's post. She explicitly cited the U.K. Booking Conditions: "...however, if you have confirmed your booking with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected..." Her point all along has been that the UK terms-and-conditions protections prohibit vendors from raising the price for agreed-upon services. And given that, she wonders how her reserved cruise(s) might be affected by the change in gratuities. A fair question. Not one to worry about a great deal, not one I have any answer for, but a fair question. You wallie were answering some other question as you nattered on about legal departments and such and made statements about benchmark points which clearly are wrong if we can assume that Suzy wasn't making up her citation. No wonder these threads go on forever!

T

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12 per person, per day in Suite Class

• $12.50 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person, per day in Suite Class

** Please note that beginning June 1, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2015, that gratuities will increase to the following:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

Prepay your gratuities by May 31 to lock in the current rate before it adjusts by calling 1-800-647-2251, logging into your My Celebrity account, or by contacting your travel agent. As of June 1, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Please note that if you have already prepaid your gratuities or have received them through a sales promotion that you will not incur any additional automatic daily gratuity charges once onboard.

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion

Total charge xxxx

Deposit paid xxxx

Balance due xxxx

Suzy

I think the non-refundable deposit you made on the cruise and the fact that the gratuities are already on your final bill count as pre-paying them.

In the US , if you have Select dining , the gratuities are immediately charged to your credit card.

The fact that it is on your final invoice , and NOT immediately charged to you indicates that they believe that invoice is the same as pre-payment.

Edited by chamima

I haven't gone back to my U.S. Booking Documents so I don't know or particularly care if my reserved future cruises will have an extra $14 or so added on due to this increase. But you did not read Suzy's post. She explicitly cited the U.K. Booking Conditions: "...however, if you have confirmed your booking with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected..." Her point all along has been that the UK terms-and-conditions protections prohibit vendors from raising the price for agreed-upon services. And given that, she wonders how her reserved cruise(s) might be affected by the change in gratuities. A fair question. Not one to worry about a great deal, not one I have any answer for, but a fair question. You wallie were answering some other question as you nattered on about legal departments and such and made statements about benchmark points which clearly are wrong if we can assume that Suzy wasn't making up her citation. No wonder these threads go on forever!

Indeed my friend.

It is easy to forget that terms and conditions vary by country to country. Our UK laws appear to be a bit more on the side of the consumer , but in return we have to pay a bit more. Not saying which is right or which is wrong just different.

Oh and Suzy's 'citation' is a copy and paste from the Cel X UK website.

As if us Brits would make something up:confused: :p

Edited by gcgold

Where did you book Celebrity sailing for the summer of 2017?

I did not know those itineraries are posted.

I can only find ones thru MAR/APRIL 2017.

Oops, sorry, you're right, it is actually February 2017 looking at the booking. I just knew it was a loong time out. (The Infinity to "Antarctica" sailing leaving on 05-FEB-2017)

The point that I am extremely suspicious that the entirety of traditional dining is already full for a cruise that was 23 months away at the time of booking stands, though. :)

Suzy

I think the non-refundable deposit you made on the cruise and the fact that the gratuities are already on your final bill count as pre-paying them.

In the US , if you have Select dining , the gratuities are immediately charged to your credit card.

The fact that it is on your final invoice , and NOT immediately charged to you indicates that they believe that invoice is the same as pre-payment.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the information on the gratuities being immediately charged to your credit card? I have Select dining on a cruise in January and have only made a deposit on it. No where on the invoice does it say that the gratuities were singled out and paid in full from that deposit amount. The amount of the gratuities are on the invoice. They will of course be paid with the final payment.

The way I interpret the answer that Celebrity Cruises gave the poster I quoted above is that you have to actually pay the grats before June 1st, regardless of when your final payment is. The poster did not specifically say whether or not they were in Select Dining, so maybe Celebrity Cruises can clear this up.

Edited by ORV

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the information on the gratuities being immediately charged to your credit card? I have Select dining on a cruise in January and have only made a deposit on it. No where on the invoice does it say that the gratuities were singled out and paid in full from that deposit amount. The amount of the gratuities are on the invoice. They will of course be paid with the final payment.

The way I interpret the answer that Celebrity Cruises gave the poster I quoted above is that you have to actually pay the grats before June 1st, regardless of when your final payment is. The poster did not specifically say whether or not they were in Select Dining, so maybe Celebrity Cruises can clear this up.

I apologize.

We sail in Aqua so I've never had the experience of sailing in Select.

I was going on the information of what I've read on here about having to pre-pay gratuities with Select and not being able to pay on board.

I've learned a lesson and will only post on things that have actually been my own experience.

Again, sorry for the misinformation. :o

This is what I just received from Celebrity as an email sent presumably because I have booking(s) reserved in their system:

Prepay your gratuities now to lock in the current rate before it adjusts on June 1. After this date, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Please note that if you have already prepaid your gratuities or have received them through a sales promotion that you will not incur any additional automatic daily gratuity charges once onboard.

Seems quite clear.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

This is what I just received from Celebrity as an email sent presumably because I have booking(s) reserved in their system:

Prepay your gratuities now to lock in the current rate before it adjusts on June 1. After this date, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Seems quite clear.

Just received the same email from Celebrity. About time that we received some official word.

Just received the same email from Celebrity. About time that we received some official word.

I also received an email this morning, but the "Celebrity official" voice commented yesterday (14 May 2015) at 12:28 PM in Post # 159.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46552367&postcount=159

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Bit unfair of Celebrity to ask those in Sky Suites to pay the same level of gratuity for Suite class when they can't avail of Michael's Club and the Concierge service.

Edited by Beamafar

Seems quite clear.

I've got FOUR future Celebrity cruises booked right now...and I've received nothing in the way of an email from Celebrity...

Of course, two of my cruises are within the next month and a half and are paid in full...including any gratuities...

My Europe cruise for next year includes free gratuities (as well as drink package...), so, no issue there...

That leaves only my March 2016 Silhouette cruise...On the promotion, we only got a choice of one of the perks and opted for the drink package...Since we have Select Dining, gratuities are prepaid...but, of course, they're not really pre-paid until final payment, correct? So, they go up from $168 if paid now to $181.30 later...A difference of a whopping $13.30...Let's see...The interest I'd receive on my $168 over the next 6 or 7 months? Yeah, even in my better liquid investments, it's a little less than $13...But...ies it worth worrying about? Is it worth MY TIME and effort? And throw in that, typically, I embellish what I tip above and beyond the standard by far more than $13.30, WHO CARES! And...IMHO, the hardworking crew deserves more than $12 or $13 a day anyway...and it's not like the money's just disappearing--it's going to that hardworking crew...

So, should I really rush to make a $168 payment 6 or 7 months in advance to save $13.30????

It's not really worth all of the time people are taking worrying about it...

Indeed my friend.

It is easy to forget that terms and conditions vary by country to country. Our UK laws appear to be a bit more on the side of the consumer , but in return we have to pay a bit more. Not saying which is right or which is wrong just different.

Oh and Suzy's 'citation' is a copy and paste from the Cel X UK website.

As if us Brits would make something up:confused: :p

To me Celebrity needs to honor their contract or someone needs to do an addendum contract with the new prices..

Honestly, I really do not understand why this is such a big deal. For a 7 day cruise for 2 people, you're looking at an additional $13.30 a cruise. Period. I spend more going to a movie!

Don't want to pay it? Remove the gratuities. Easy to do. You're going to let them stay on your account? Don't do anything. That's even easier! Want to give them a larger gratuity? Hand 'em cash! :D

Seriously, all this fuss over something so small is mind blowing. SMH. :rolleyes:

The problem is they did NOT tip. They took the auto gratuity & stuck it back in their pockets & bragged about it. Pretty disgusting, I'd say! The staff was outstanding & these 2 were the worst behaved people I've come across in a long time.

Our worst experience was many years ago and I won't go into detail in case they are on here, but they appeared very wealthy (purchased $22'000 dollar necklace on shore), in a suite etc and although I presume kept auto tips on - although not positive, had $10 to give to waiter at end of cruise, and when he went to take it, withdrew it laughing, then held it up up again and so forth. We are British and are very discrete with our tipping and try to follow local customs re tips and we were cringing and felt that the waiter wanted to tell him where to 'stick' his tip, but obviously too polite and worried about his job.

Honestly, I really do not understand why this is such a big deal. For a 7 day cruise for 2 people, you're looking at an additional $13.30 a cruise. Period. I spend more going to a movie!

Don't want to pay it? Remove the gratuities. Easy to do. You're going to let them stay on your account? Don't do anything. That's even easier! Want to give them a larger gratuity? Hand 'em cash! :D

Seriously, all this fuss over something so small is mind blowing. SMH. :rolleyes:

I think you might be missing the point. I don't object to the price increase, the extra money is not a problem. It's just I really don't care to throw it away when I can save it. If you saw a dollar on the sidewalk would you pick it up? I grew up poor, hell, I'll stop and pick up a penny.

If I need to prepay it to save the $13.30 for the one cruise I have booked that it applies to I will. Then again that's just me, it doesn't mean I'm cheap, or not wanting to tip, or don't tip. I also have no issue with the way the system is set up, I like auto tips, and don't get all bent out of shape because Celebrity wants Select diners to pre pay the tips. BUT spending money that you don't have to is no different than just throwing it away in my way of thinking.

Edited by ORV

I've got FOUR future Celebrity cruises booked right now...and I've received nothing in the way of an email from Celebrity...

Of course, two of my cruises are within the next month and a half and are paid in full...including any gratuities...

My Europe cruise for next year includes free gratuities (as well as drink package...), so, no issue there...

That leaves only my March 2016 Silhouette cruise...On the promotion, we only got a choice of one of the perks and opted for the drink package...Since we have Select Dining, gratuities are prepaid...but, of course, they're not really pre-paid until final payment, correct? So, they go up from $168 if paid now to $181.30 later...A difference of a whopping $13.30...Let's see...The interest I'd receive on my $168 over the next 6 or 7 months? Yeah, even in my better liquid investments, it's a little less than $13...But...ies it worth worrying about? Is it worth MY TIME and effort? And throw in that, typically, I embellish what I tip above and beyond the standard by far more than $13.30, WHO CARES! And...IMHO, the hardworking crew deserves more than $12 or $13 a day anyway...and it's not like the money's just disappearing--it's going to that hardworking crew...

So, should I really rush to make a $168 payment 6 or 7 months in advance to save $13.30????

It's not really worth all of the time people are taking worrying about it...

Steve, really, time & effort? Are you really going to play that card? I appreciate your input into the Cruise Critic community but if you really want to talk about the value of your time and effort what would be the value of the mini novels you frequently write here? To me it's more about the principle, and not spending money needlessly. In less time than it took you to write out your post you could have sent your TA an email instructing them to go ahead and pay your grats on the March cruise.

I do agree that the bottom line is most of us won't miss it. Once again, I have no problem with the increase or tipping workers.

I do agree that the bottom line is most of us won't miss it. Once again, I have no problem with the increase or tipping workers.

who can say unequivocally that the workers will get this money ? [emoji12][emoji636]