Door Decorating - Carnival setting standards

They probably are going to set some guideline about NOT using adhesives on the doors or walls, maybe no profanity, and nothing protruding more than 1" out, etc...

Agree with your assessment. The adhesives used to attach things to your door would probably be the main problem. Probably takes time for the crew to scrape some of the adhesives off the doors....

Agree with your assessment. The adhesives used to attach things to your door would probably be the main problem. Probably takes time for the crew to scrape some of the adhesives off the doors....

Yes, and that's not cool.

I would never decorate a hotel door so why a cabin door?

I think because you're not in a hotel room for 7+ days straight along with 2,000+ people potentially walking past your door. It seems to be a traditional among cruisers. I never use to, but now I do, I find it a fun thing to do and people around us like it.

What about command strips? I'm new to this door decorating and thought it be cool to get dry eraser with small board so people could sign and draw little pictures. Maybe I could just use mid size piece of paper with crayon? ?

We always decorate our door with a vertical vinyl banner that is printed with sea creatures and "Cruising With The W---s [our last name]" plus all 3 of our first names.

The banner has metal grommets in the corners, so I can secure it with twine and bungee cords over the top and bottom without attaching anything to the door itself. When it's time to leave, I just undo the bungees and roll up the banner for compact storage. Easy peasy, and no marks or sticky stuff on the door!

I haven't, though my brother's family did when we were on Freedom last December. They had a fireplace and chimney out of craft paper, with stockings hung on the mantel over the fireplace. It was all flat, since it was just paper. The parts that were affixed to the door were affixed by 3M Command strips, which came off cleanly.

I didn't decorate before, but I'm bringing my kids on their first cruise January 3rd on the Magic. I thought it would be fun to put up some New Years decorations. I think the kids would enjoy it!

Edited by tweetybird617

We have numerous people tell us they liked having something on our door, as it helped them find their own door. I'm fine with cheap AND helpful....also its my vacation, and my door, and if I'm not damaging the door or causing an obstruction why do you care what my door looks like?

For the life of me I cannot remember if the doors are metal or not. We have not decorated before and now I am wanting to decorate! Do most of you use the command strips or magnets?

And, Limoguy1, why such a party pooper?:(

Yes I decorate with photos of my doggies in magnet frames. They get to greet me when I go in and out just like home. Great conversation started. I have never seen any that were in bad taste. Wonder if Carnival wants to charge for putting up decorations.

Here's our door and mailbox from our last cruise. We're always in an aftwrap suite on a Spirit class ship, so we're at the end of the hall and in the corner. We don't decorate to find the room, we decorate because it's fun. :)

fijidoora.jpg

fijidoora.jpg

Personally, I use that little numbered plate right near the cabin door to find my room.....works every time! ;)

Jill

As I said, we don't decorate to find our room, we do it because it's fun. :rolleyes:

Yes I decorate with photos of my doggies in magnet frames. They get to greet me when I go in and out just like home. Great conversation started. I have never seen any that were in bad taste. Wonder if Carnival wants to charge for putting up decorations.

OK - this one I really like! We sure do miss our baby when we are out of town. My hubby would love to come back to the room and see his little face each time.

Personally, I use that little numbered plate right near the cabin door to find my room.....works every time!

Yes, you can use the numbers. However, on a long hallway its easier to spot our door down it when decorated. Plus, i am with Laurie, we do it because its fun. Especially since we usually cruise over Halloween, and that adds to the festivities. We use command strips also, or sticky tack. Holds well and comes right off.

I do not because don't want to call attention to self...if I start to cruise with a friend mostly..I may and with safe ways to not damage walls or doors as I have seen so many neat things to trace a cruise like inside cabin map and letter and card place...flowers and fruit place...little magnetic clips for hanging...and so many doors that make me happy...and look very nice.

When I visit certain places far enough I can be a long time in a hotel room. Nice rooms, comfy decor, or just nice simple cabins as big as they can be and still affordable like Carnival..I see the appeal of making it homey...and appeal of making some care rules for not ruining all the new doors etc. on the ships.

Edited by sjn911

I have heard lot's of people say they think it is ridiculous that people deface the decor of the public areas of a ship with their own decoration, and detract from the intended appearance with their own style, messaging, branding, etc...

Everytime I discuss it, they default to "if people want to decorate the inside of the living space they have rented without damaging the property, that's OK. But it is not OK to change the appearance of public areas designed by the ownership, and accessible by all passengers."

Edited by eponym