Door Decorating - Carnival setting standards

We always decorate our cabin door. I use magnets and command strips. Two weeks ago, we had a sign with our names, 2 small magnets, and a pink pelican.

I really can't understand why people find door signs so offensive. IMO, seeing boobs and butts spilling out of swim suits and tops and peoples excessive drinking would insult them more than walking down a hallway seeing a decorated door here or there!

I always decorate our door! Its fun, festive and a conversation starter. We've had many fellow cruisers come up to us and mention our door. I never use balloons, streamers or anything else that would protrude from the door. And never use any type of adhesive that doesn't easily come off.

I'm glad Carnival is doing something about the door decorating. Too bad they can't enforce aesthetics.

How True! Some of what I would call just plain ole tacky is considered art by others....oh well.

Has anyone had this happen?? We had one cruise from SJ-- that someone tried to take our door decorations? Actually we were in the cabin and heard them plotting.. So DH steps and out and they scattered. So we removed all but one Photos of our dogs and low and behold the next day is was gone and never seen again. Guess they liked dog photos.

We just came off of the Valor and we decorated our door. The kiddo's grandparents had already paid to have the room decorated in the Seuss theme, so I just bought a thing of the clings to go with it. They were easy on and easy off. We made sure that we removed them completely along with all of our cabin decor before we left. It made our room easy to find, so much so that by the end of the cruise my hubby still couldn't remember what our room number was. Dd4V88LM1ocYqxGYbLnMI-KQA9cxtq_hI5ypnK1AVSY=w138-h207-p-no

Edited by Working 2 cruise again
picture

I don't decorate my door, but some of my friends did their cabins. They had crepe paper 3D flamingos and parrots I think. It was pretty funny to see where the birds had "flew" to when they woke up each morning. Some were on other doors, some were in mailboxes, etc. We were on different floors, so I would get the daily update as to which ones ended up migrating during the wee hours :D. All in good fun.

But, yes, I do agree in making sure that the decorations do not cause damage and that they should be completely removed by the guests.

I always use the poster putty, it's used for dorm rooms ( nothing can be used that marks the wall in any way) and it comes off easy peasy....never had a problem.. We even decorated the door beside us on the Valor this month....it was 4 guys that were college age....they told us they loved it.. We even put beads on the mailbox...the next day when we met them in the hall and they were wearing the beads!!! LOL

This Thanksgiving I am going to put a turkey on one door and try and find a pilgrim girl and boy for our other cabin. I am going to get some poster putty....thanks for that suggestion. I think the grandkids will love it and that way they will be able to find the cabins!!!

We decorated for Halloween this past year and I must admit I enjoyed it. Our door was close to an elevator and we received many compliments on the decorations. Would I do it for every cruise ? No way but for Halloween it was fun. Not to mention it was about the most fun I have had checking out all the costumes glad we did that time period at least once.

We decorated our door (very simply) on our honeymoon cruise and were surprised how many people knocked on our door as they were walking past to wish us well and congratulate us. Unintended effect, but it was nice.

03c9a7687e17bcfa86617325838ef906.jpg

The next cruise we are taking is for the husband's 30th birthday and he asked if I was going to decorate the door again. I told him only if he wanted me too and he said it would be fun. He's asked me to do a "treat yo'self" theme (as in Parks & Rec), which should be interesting to figure out, but I'll wait to see if there are any new regulations before I really start planning it out.

Edited by NoDayButToday

We've done it for our son and he loved it. Just cardboard cutouts of fish, sea creatures and shells. One cruise we decorated for 4th of July. It's fun to do, especially for kids.

dry erase boards are great, however not good if traveling with children. We have seen some profanity added, and very creative drawings (eek) that were left by others. Not PG rated. Just a warning -you get more on board than planned.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Not good.

I agree. Let's have Carnival make up some more rules that they won't enforce :rolleyes:

My thought as well...they do such a great job with chair hogs and the dress code after all. LOL

I can see a concern with residue left behind though. That's not fair for the room stewards.

We cruise Jan 2 and I may do a little bit of happy new year theme on each door.

I put a cut-out of a porthole with a different cartoon inside of it for each day were were on our cruise. Just used plain round magnets from Dollarama to hold it on there. As long as it can be removed without a trace, I don't see any harm in it....

I really can't understand why people find door signs so offensive. IMO, seeing boobs and butts spilling out of swim suits and tops and peoples excessive drinking would insult them more than walking down a hallway seeing a decorated door here or there!

Exactly!!

We've never decorated our door, but I love seeing everyone else's doors. I keep meaning to take something to help find my room, but always forget. I won't take my good magnets because I don't trust people to not steal them. I do have some putty, though. And yes, I know the number is beside the door, but the deco really stands out.

Our last two cruises I made door decorations for everyone that cruised with us (sometimes up to 8 cabins). I wasn't going to do it this time around - 1. because I've done them twice already, 2. we have about 8 cabins again!

But...after reading this thread! I think I'm inspired to do them again!!