Door Decorating - Carnival setting standards

I have never previously decorated our doors when cruising. Honestly, I have never really given it much thought!

We will be cruising over Christmas this year and my daughter has asked if she could please decorate the doors explaining that we would not be decorating anything at home. Honestly I have no intention to leave anything that someone else may have to clean nor will anything placed on the doors be offensive (unless there are those that simply find the practice offensive)but, I am very comfortable letting my daughter decorate the door. She is already so excited and has started planning her design. Now that I have read other's suggestions of ensuring that the door doesn't attack anyone walking by I will let her know to incorporate an idea that doesn't attack! ;)If there are rules to follow I will happily follow! As far as it being a beautiful work of art... well..... that will be up to those that take the time to critique. For our family it will add another special memory of our special Christmas cruise.

Happy Cruisin!

I have heard lot's of people say they think it is ridiculous that people deface the decor of the public areas of a ship with their own decoration, and detract from the intended appearance with their own style, messaging, branding, etc...

Everytime I discuss it, they default to "if people want to decorate the inside of the living space they have rented without damaging the property, that's OK. But it is not OK to change the appearance of public areas designed by the ownership, and accessible by all passengers."

I agree, it is ridiculous! You wont decorate doors on a hotel. This is the same thing.

Do you really want strangers camping out by your door trying to figure it all out?

:eek:

We ALWAYS decorate. Have used command strips or magnets depending on the door. No residue left behind. If anyone finds the decorations offensive, just continue down the hall with your rose colored glasses on. Don't bother stopping...we aren't interested in you either.

We are on the ship to have fun...and keep in mind that Carnival has the "fun ships"

I fully understand those that "just don't see it". What I don't understand is those that have heartburn with those of us that decorate our cabin doors.

As long as it is not obscene it is no skin of anybodies nose including CCL as long as it doesn't create a safety hazard and you clean up after yourself when you leave.

There are so many things in life, especially as I grow older, "that I just don't get" that I have developed the attitude of if it floats their boat and doesn't cause me any grief who cares.

Yep, time to put some more rules out there! LOL

Unfortunately, taste is subjective and I have seen some gaudy ugly stuff.

We don't give a rip what others do, so if they want to decorate their door, have at it!

We often use a large suction cup hook and hang a small sign that we change daily, such as, "Enjoy your day at sea" with clip art of drinks, slot machine, bingo card, anchor or whatever.

8-1/2 X 11 laminated, no mess no fuss.

We always receive compliments on them.

For Alaska cruise, the roll call had a contest of it.

We made a poster board with all of Alaska's symbols; state bird, flower, mammal, quarter, song, etc....we won it hands down.

The room steward asked to keep it if we didn't want it. Gave it to him.

As long as it leaves no marks or damage and doesn't invade hall space, those who want to should be able to do so.

Door decorating is harmless and freedom of expression should be encouraged not judged by others.

It is supposed to be a fun and party type atmosphere !

Those who feel their opinions are superior to others should definitely get a life and mind their own snoot.

fijidoora.jpg

Personally, I use that little numbered plate right near the cabin door to find my room.....works every time! ;)

Jill

Yes, it has always worked for me. I do not see what would be fun about decorating a door.

Although passengers love the door decorations (and I think they're fun to look at even if I never do it myself), I have a feeling the stewards dread having to deal with the junk left behind that passengers can't get off the door.

Exactly. I figure they have enough work to do without having to deal with residue from the arts and crafts department.

We usually do decorate our doors. We put up a dry-erase board, and some little paper flowers and fish I made. I use the Scotch removable mounting squares. They easily peel right off the door (as well as the decorations, so you can continue to use them on other cruises).

One of the saddest parts of the cruise is taking down all my door decorations. That means the cruise really is coming to an end.

I never knew there were so many door-decoration haters out there. I can understand not wanting to do it on your own door, but I had no idea people are out there walking past my little fishies and rolling their eyes and thinking “eww, how tacky.”

Edited by CatgirlNC

Not sure I understand why others are being so snarky? If the decorations don't "attack" you when you walk by and they are attached in a way that leaves no residue and the person in the cabin removes them before they leave the ship - what is the problem? And why does it bother some of you so very much that you have to be mean and say nasty things?

We have not decorated our door before, but it does sound fun and if it makes me smile or someone else coming down the hall smile, then what is the big deal? As for the fire hazard thing, now really sure I can see how some things on the door are a true fire hazard. If it really and truly was, then all the cruiselines would have banned them by now. So that really does not fly.

Rented an apt in Portland area last year short term. Very nice complex..lucky situation.

Many long term residents live there and it is a multi building newer building property. While everything is clean and neat the exterior doors and cement steps are cheered up by 2 things...individual door mats and welcome and holiday things on the doors..carefully affixed.

The delight of boy across hall changed to even higher when I got a few things at dollar store for floor and door..and made sure he got a couple real full candy bars with his mom present of course...was worth the effort. And also always a great thing for happy group living situations.

I see the fire hazard issue but we no longer smoke..I had an apt that one had to smoke so many feet away from building...lol..not always followed...why I climbed to 3rd floor.

I think a few guidelines are good for preservation..maybe even a fine to S and S if not taken down...but Carnival is THE family at fancy camp cruise line. This is sad to me if we can not come to agreement. These good 3M things only pull off sticky hand grime.

PS..love what comes in above when writing one of my anthologies...LOL..lets be happy...

And as I type I am lousy at this and have to create a page for my graduating niece's scrapbook....xxxooo...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Have only decorated with the CC meet-&-mingle door sign when I was on RCI.

I like seeing what other people do, though. Some very elaborate, many are at least a little tacky but so what? All part of the fun.

And why does it bother some of you so very much that you have to be mean and say nasty things?

I have no problem with people decorating their door; as long as it doesn't make more work for their room steward.

What about command strips? I'm new to this door decorating and thought it be cool to get dry eraser with small board so people could sign and draw little pictures. Maybe I could just use mid size piece of paper with crayon? ?

dry erase boards are great, however not good if traveling with children. We have seen some profanity added, and very creative drawings (eek) that were left by others. Not PG rated. Just a warning -you get more on board than planned.

I can see the issues with the dry ease boards...how sad.

Kids put nasty things on long term do not disturb signs too...

They are so nice for family notes and secret angels in the dorm thing....

Again...Carnival is the best place for door decorations I think..and so sad the few who ruin it...glad they are gathering info...and instituting change that way..they are trying.

I don't and have never decorated my door (anywhere), but I do understand why some like do it. In my 8 cruises I have not yet seen an offensive one. I admit that I dont usually spend a lot of time looking at them though, but to each their own. As long as there is no damage to the door, ie; from glue or tape or ink etc, then I don't get what the big hullabaloo is about. Maybe they just want to set out what is acceptable and isn't and guidelines to adhere to, and that is ok. But for me, door decorating is not and has never been a problem.

Edited by SMSACE6

No, we do not. We quit door decs when graduated from college back in the 80s. I really don't get it. I hope they do away with most of it.

I can see a little sticker, sign or trinket to mark your door if you are one of the people who cannot find your cabin number, but I've also seen it grow way beyond the door onto the walls and it looks downright crappy.

I never have and haven't even noticed or paid attention to what others do. however, I am taking my 6 & 8 yr. old grands next summer and plan to decorate some then for them. I will follow the rules!

I have heard that some doors are metal and magnets can be used. does anyone know if this is true of Carnival cabin doors, Sunshine specifically?:D