Advice please on Houston stop over

Ozy71

Hi we are traveling from Auckland NZ To Miami. We are going to break the trip with an overnight stop in Houston and travel on to Miami the next day.

Having very limited experience with US airlines, some of it not very good. We are yet to book the flight from Houston to Miami. What airline would you recommend? Hopefully one that we can upgrade.

. We are yet to book the flight from Houston to Miami. What airline would you recommend? Hopefully one that we can upgrade.

Flying to Miami, I would recommend American or United. :)

In this case, I agree with Texed. Be quite cautious when looking at flights. Houston has two airports; Intercontinental (IAH) and Hobby (HOB). Most low cost airlines fly from Hobby, and you will be at Intercontinental. It's not impossible, but is somewhat inconvenient to switch airports. However, If you're staying overnight, and willing to switch airports, you could fly Southwest from Hobby to Ft. Lauderdale, it's then a $15.00 shuttle to the Miami Cruise port. Southwest airlines is about the only one in the US that does not charge for checked baggage.

Harris

Denver, CO

Hi we are traveling from Auckland NZ To Miami. We are going to break the trip with an overnight stop in Houston and travel on to Miami the next day.

Having very limited experience with US airlines, some of it not very good. We are yet to book the flight from Houston to Miami. What airline would you recommend? Hopefully one that we can upgrade.

If I were in your situation, I would first look for a companion airline. If you come on Quantas, that's OneWorld Alliance, I think that is United in the States. Sticking within an alliance might make booking and earning or using freq flier miles a bit easier. I have flown many trips on United, mostly international but some domestic. No issues. But I've had good service from Delta and American as well. I wouldn't fly Southwest if the ticket were free and you paid me a bonus besides, but for some reason there are those who prefer them.

Why Houston?

We flew from Melbourne to LAX on Qantas. Stopped there overnight and then flew to Miami the following day on Air Tran (I'm pretty sure). Took about 6 hrs.

VA is connected to Delta. We have lived in Houston for over 32 years and know a lot about it. Please let us know if there is anything information we can provide.

Regards

Ed & Mary

Thank you all for your input. We got a very good deal flying air NZ prem economy to Houston. It makes sense to stay with a star alliance carrier. One more question, would you recommend a over night in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Thank you all for your input. We got a very good deal flying air NZ prem economy to Houston. It makes sense to stay with a star alliance carrier. One more question, would you recommend a over night in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Miami. Much more to do in walking distance from hotels reasonably close to port, and then much quicker to port the next day. But it will be more expensive. And I would definitely fly United if only because it is based in Houston and will likely have the most flight options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely stay with a star alliance carrier (and it looks like that's United in the US).

We prefer Fort Lauderdale (on the beach) because we like to walk the beach but, that said, if you're on the Eclipse it's a lot more convenient to stay in Miami.

I think NZ is starting to fly form New Zealand in December directly to Houston then maybe worth to stay overnight here.:), otherwise Miami is better place to visit if you haven't been there.:D

Bob

Since it's only 2 or 3 hours from Houston to Miami then it wouldn't really be necessary to upgrade. I consider anything less than 4 hours in coach not worth spending extra money on. I'll always take a seat with more room if I can get it though at no cost.

Doubt American flys direct to Miami from intercontinental!

American does have some non-stops direct to Miami from Intercontinental. :)

Edited by Texed

Both UA and AA have non-stops from IAH to MIA.

If you are booking Air New Zealand (Star Alliance) and your connection is less than 24 hours you should not have to pay additional and would be booked in Premier Plus on the UA segment.

You would have to make sure your baggage is booked to IAH on you first segments to make sure it doesn't go thru to MIA.