Our First Neptune Suite (Part I)

[quote name='sapper1']The last thing on my list when I board a ship is to receive attention from the captain any more than I think I should receive attention from the pilot of the airplane that takes me to the port. As long as the ship is safely looked after then I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. The captain could walk up to me and I wouldn't be the wiser. I don't memorize their face or even know what their uniform looks like. I just don't care but I realize it is important to others.

[quote name='sapper1']We took an upsell from an SS once just to see what all the fuss was about.
We found the Neptune Lounge to be highly overrated, the suite reception in the lounge was cramped and we only had breakfast in the Pinnacle once and then returned to the Lido.
We have ample real estate in the SS suites and because we are four star Mariners we get the free laundry and priority embarkation and tendering anyway. I doubt very much if we would upgrade again as there is no extra benefit to us.[/QUOTE]
That's interesting. We had our first SS last fall, after being in the NS or PS for years and years. We found that the SS provides excellent value, but we did miss the extra space. DW definitely missed the cappuccino in the Neptune Lounge, and we both found ourselves pining for the remote controlled snack pod.

While we prefer the Neptune / Pinnacle Suites, there's definitely bang for the buck in the Signature Suites. (Clang for the Canadian Dollar, or Loud Noise for the Loonie.) Other than the fact that we kept pressing 7 in the elevators, and getting off on the wrong deck, our SS experience was sswell.

[quote name='POA1']That's interesting. We had our first SS last fall, after being in the NS or PS for years and years. We found that the SS provides excellent value, but we did miss the extra space. DW definitely missed the cappuccino in the Neptune Lounge, and we both found ourselves pining for the remote controlled snack pod.

While we prefer the Neptune / Pinnacle Suites, there's definitely bang for the buck in the Signature Suites. (Clang for the Canadian Dollar, or Loud Noise for the Loonie.) Other than the fact that we kept pressing 7 in the elevators, and getting off on the wrong deck, our SS experience was sswell.[/QUOTE]

No question that IMO the SS has the best Clang. (whether it be Canadian or US $).

Like you though, I do enjoy the space in the Neptune, breakfast in a good Pinnacle Grill and a couple of other minor things.

nothing wrong with SS at all. But if I happen to get an upsell for the Neptune, well.......;)

[quote name='kazu']No question that IMO the SS has the best Clang. (whether it be Canadian or US $).

Like you though, I do enjoy the space in the Neptune, breakfast in a good Pinnacle Grill and a couple of other minor things.

nothing wrong with SS at all. But if I happen to get an upsell for the Neptune, well.......;)[/QUOTE]

Ditto here!

[quote name='POA1']That's interesting. We had our first SS last fall, after being in the NS or PS for years and years. We found that the SS provides excellent value, but we did miss the extra space. DW definitely missed the cappuccino in the Neptune Lounge, and we both found ourselves pining for the remote controlled snack pod.

While we prefer the Neptune / Pinnacle Suites, there's definitely bang for the buck in the Signature Suites. (Clang for the Canadian Dollar, or Loud Noise for the Loonie.) Other than the fact that we kept pressing 7 in the elevators, and getting off on the wrong deck, our SS experience was sswell.[/QUOTE]

Sso funny!

[quote name='ksmaxey']So how many outlets are there in the Neptune suites or the PS?[/quote]

If you mean electrical outlets (110V with a 220V) in a Neptune Suite, here is what I remember:

Two next to the desk, one inside the cabinet with the table lamp, two in the makeup room, and two in the bathroom. No electrical outlets beside the bed.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

I should make it clear that all the grumbling we encountered about the quality of the tea was good-natured. It was more amusing than upsetting. Although many of us committed tea-drinkers -and not just those of us from the Commonwealth - take our tea seriously, just as coffee-drinkers do, we wouldn't snarl at the charming staff. I did take some of our friends to task for building up our expectations for the Royal Dutch High Tea, but apparently what we experienced was not what they did. We did see one couple storm out of the Pinnacle Grill on the first breakfast after waiting the same half hour, as we did, with no food other than the starter of juice or cereal. I must emphasis that efficiency was improved every morning after that. I noticed people walk out of the MDR in a huff at lunch and others give up waiting in the queue to be seated.

My wife wanted me to mention that although I was disappointed with the two tiny lamb chops masquerading as rack of lamb in the MDR, she had three thick lamb chops in the Pinnacle Grill.

I didn't want to give the impression that the lack of appearances by the captain was a big deal. I mentioned it only because it seemed unusual to me.

As many people say about HAL (and Cunard's Princess and Queen's Grills) it is hard to go back to a humble cabin when you have enjoyed a Neptune suite. I have gone back on "our usual" and still enjoyed our crossings. The Signature suites (which appear to me to be similar to the Princess Grill staterooms on the Queen Mary 2) are spacious, but to those of us with little rank in the Mariners the Neptune suites are highly desirable if the fare is reasonable. We paid the full asking price and were very happy with it. Other one-week cruises cost double or more and I would hesitate at that. I did notice recently that some Neptunes on the late-season Noordam cruises are under $2000 (Can.) and, surprisingly, on two cruises they were a bit cheaper than the Signature staterooms.

Am very seriously considering taking an upsell to SA Neptune Suite on our upcoming Eurodam sailing. Must make up our mind today! We have never cruised in anything above a standard balcony cabin, so I am sure we would love it!

Thanks for the review! Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We took one for an aft wrap on our cruise. I'll share more on the cruise.

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']Am very seriously considering taking an upsell to SA Neptune Suite on our upcoming Eurodam sailing. Must make up our mind today! We have never cruised in anything above a standard balcony cabin, so I am sure we would love it!

Thanks for the review![/quote]

[quote name='ksmaxey']We took one for an aft wrap on our cruise. I'll share more on the cruise.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']Just took the upsell...also in a corner aft wrap!! can't wait!! :)

safe travels![/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your aft-wrap staterooms. They are highly prized for their huge balconies with great photo opportunities, hot breakfasts with Room Service is just a short elevator ride away, and short elevator rides to both the MDR and Lido Restaurants.

We will be on the Eurodam in November so looking forward to your opinions.

[quote name='Crew News']Congratulations on your aft-wrap staterooms. They are highly prized for their huge balconies with great photo opportunities, hot breakfasts with Room Service is just a short elevator ride away, and short elevator rides to both the MDR and Lido Restaurants.

We will be on the Eurodam in November so looking forward to your opinions.[/QUOTE]

[B] One of the downsides is the long distance to Neptune Lounge. For those who don't care about the lounge, that is fine. I like close access. :)

[/B]

[quote name='Crew News']Congratulations on your aft-wrap staterooms. They are highly prized for their huge balconies with great photo opportunities, hot breakfasts with Room Service is just a short elevator ride away, and short elevator rides to both the MDR and Lido Restaurants.

We will be on the Eurodam in November so looking forward to your opinions.[/quote]

I am going to disagree with you based on my experience.
We switched from a side Neptune to an aft wrap one on our
trip to Alaska, and I wished after we had kept the side one.
I thought the whole balcony thing was over-rated, and it would
have been nice to be closer to the Lounge where the concierge is.
It was OK 4 going to dinner, but a very long walk to entertaiment.
I would not book one again, but if it was offered at reduced price I
might take it. So aft wrap is not good 4 everyone.

[quote name='hcij2015']I am going to disagree with you based on my experience.
We switched from a side Neptune to an aft wrap one on our
trip to Alaska, and I wished after we had kept the side one.
I thought the whole balcony thing was over-rated, and it would
have been nice to be closer to the Lounge where the concierge is.
It was OK 4 going to dinner, but a very long walk to entertaiment.
I would not book one again, but if it was offered at reduced price I
might take it. So aft wrap is not good 4 everyone.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I'm sure there are many who have tried and still greatly prize those aft-wrap around balconies because they seem to generally book fast. Location has its advantages and disadvantages depending on individual wants and reasons. I know I would prize either the side Neptune which you prize or the aft-wrap around balcony. Happy sailing everyone.[/COLOR]

[quote name='qsuzi'][COLOR="Navy"]I'm sure there are many who have tried and still greatly prize those aft-wrap around balconies because they seem to generally book fast. Location has its advantages and disadvantages depending on individual wants and reasons. I know I would prize either the side Neptune which you prize or the aft-wrap around balcony. Happy sailing everyone.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

absolutely correct. There are those that love the afts and those that prefer to be mid ship with a bigger room. Location is in the eye of the beholder. For those that want less vibration, it's mid ship. For those that don't like some of the noise it's midship. And for those that crave the bigger balconies and seeing where they have been with great views, it's aft.

As long as it's chosen wisely everyone is happy.

[quote name='kazu']absolutely correct. There are those that love the afts and those that prefer to be mid ship with a bigger room. Location is in the eye of the beholder. For those that want less vibration, it's mid ship. For those that don't like some of the noise it's midship. And for those that crave the bigger balconies and seeing where they have been with great views, it's aft.

As long as it's chosen wisely everyone is happy.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Thanks Kazu. Some ships seem to have a lot more vibration than others. We were near the aft elevator on the Veendam and you could feel it strongly there. Can you image the vibration if we were in the far aft balcony or wrap-around. I love being rocked to sleep in the aft but we now select a balcony near an elevator because of DH needs.[/COLOR]

[quote name='qsuzi'][COLOR="Blue"]Thanks Kazu. Some ships seem to have a lot more vibration than others. We were near the aft elevator on the Veendam and you could feel it strongly there. Can you image the vibration if we were in the far aft balcony or wrap-around. I love being rocked to sleep in the aft but we now select a balcony near an elevator because of DH needs.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

the sounds are also very LOUD on some ships in the aft.

It's tricky to know the right and the wrong ones.

I love being rocked to sleep too, but that can happen anywhere on the ship.

Lots of pros and cons to both - as long as one chooses what suits them, all is good. :)

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']David mentioned in his review that they had a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. Is this a benefit for all Neptune suites?[/QUOTE]

NO. Likely he got it as part of a booking promotion, such as last year's Explore4.

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']David mentioned in his review that they had a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. Is this a benefit for all Neptune suites?[/QUOTE]

Duplicate answer. Edited by cruz chic

We are looking forward to our first Neptune suite in a couple hours!:). HAL offered us a very generous upsell two days ago from a SY to a SA for less than the price of a shore excursion.

Could not pass it up.

[quote name='WNcruiser']We are looking forward to our first Neptune suite in a couple hours!:). HAL offered us a very generous upsell two days ago from a SY to a SA for less than the price of a shore excursion.

Could not pass it up.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]CELEBRATE!!!! [COLOR="Navy"]Congrats![/COLOR][/COLOR]