Flight Question

Hi,

I have a cruise booked on the allure for my husband and 2 kids the week of 2/20-2/28. I have looked at flights (from chicago into FLL) and they are INSANE! I'm not sure why and it's concerning. We usually fly spirit because it's cheaper but it's $646/pp!!! I'm not sure if it's because it's still early? Are prices going to drop? Spirit is usually around $250-300 even in feb and mar. I don't want to pay close to $2500 for airfare.

I got a good deal on this cruise because I caught kids sale free. If I rebooked during a different time, I would have to pay $1000 more. Although that would still be cheaper than buying that outrageous airfare. So I'm not sure if I should book another time or wait. I guess my question is: is the airfare for spirit so high because it's still more than 7-8 months out?

Is there anything going on in Fort Lauderdale that week making airfare that high in mid feb? Especially on spirit?!??

Thanks in advance!

Could be...I find that airline tickets drop in price about 45 -60 days out...then start going up again when they get below 30 days....

Try flying in and out of different airports, too! If you get enough savings, it could pay for transportation from, say, Miami...

Like CB said, you may try looking at flying into Miami then getting transportation up to Ft Lauderdale. This assumes that airfares into FLL don't drop which they well could since you're still eight months out.

I also find the prices are crazy high. We are on Navigator in December and will fly from Minneapolis to FLL. When I look for airfare and see such high prices I also look at the flight details and seat maps.

For our weekend the flights on both Friday and Saturday there are already huge blocks of seats, i.e., 60 seats together in coach are already booked. It looks like a school group or perhaps a group going to FLL for cruises. When they sell that many seats so early the prices usually won't come down much.

Miami flights are also heavily booked already. I do agree that most fares are at the lowest point at about 57 days out from departure.

Wait a little bit until Southwest has their schedule out. I am sure you can get it cheaper. I fly southwest all the time out of Minneapolis through Chicago and never have had a bad experience.

Best of luck! No matter what it will be cheaper than driving to Florida!

JoeRum

Prices for the Chicago market should drop as time passes and especially after Southwest extends its calendar to include February. If your willing to fly out of Midway rates are much lower already but you have a stop. I get the feeling your looking at nonstop flights from Ohare. Southwest will likely have a nonstop from Midway when they extend their calendar out again.

Hi,

I have a cruise booked on the allure for my husband and 2 kids the week of 2/20-2/28. I have looked at flights (from chicago into FLL) and they are INSANE! I'm not sure why and it's concerning. We usually fly spirit because it's cheaper but it's $646/pp!!! I'm not sure if it's because it's still early? Are prices going to drop? Spirit is usually around $250-300 even in feb and mar. I don't want to pay close to $2500 for airfare.

I got a good deal on this cruise because I caught kids sale free. If I rebooked during a different time, I would have to pay $1000 more. Although that would still be cheaper than buying that outrageous airfare. So I'm not sure if I should book another time or wait. I guess my question is: is the airfare for spirit so high because it's still more than 7-8 months out?

Is there anything going on in Fort Lauderdale that week making airfare that high in mid feb? Especially on spirit?!??

Thanks in advance!

A quick search on travelocity shows Delta flights for $343 pp. 343 x 4 = 1372

Wait a little bit until Southwest has their schedule out.

Best of luck! No matter what it will be cheaper than driving to Florida!

JoeRum

No matter what? I realize that future gas prices are also unknown, but that's a pretty broad statement, considering that the OP needs 4 round trip tickets.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I can think of would be that it is Winter break for grades k-12.

Thanks everyone for your advice! At this point, I will wait for the southwest schedule for February to come out. Or hope prices out of ohare come down to under $500pp. I've never seen airfare so high for mid February when it's not Valentine's Day or presidents day wk! Oh well, I have learned my lesson and will try and book mid January as we usually have done in the past. Thanks again for being so helpful! :)

I just booked our airfare for January 2016. We are flying Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale and only paid $256 per ticket. Total ended up being about $1281. That's a non-stop on Delta.

Wondering if the actual flight time has anything to do with it because we are flying out of Detroit at 7:45am and back from Ft. Lauderdale at 9:45am and those were actually the cheapest when I was looking.

I'm not sure how true this is because I've never actually tried it but I've heard that the cheapest time to book flights is at 1:00pm on a Tuesday.

I just booked our airfare for January 2016. We are flying Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale and only paid $256 per ticket. Total ended up being about $1281. That's a non-stop on Delta.

Wondering if the actual flight time has anything to do with it because we are flying out of Detroit at 7:45am and back from Ft. Lauderdale at 9:45am and those were actually the cheapest when I was looking.

I'm not sure how true this is because I've never actually tried it but I've heard that the cheapest time to book flights is at 1:00pm on a Tuesday.

We also just flew (in april) on Delta for $1288 for four at premium flight times from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale. I believe the original poster is booking way way to early. The best time to purchase airfair to get the best price is going to be 45-75 days before your cruise. Use Kayak and do a saved price alert. Prices jump and drop depending on the day of the week you buy, not changing the day you leave. Feb isn't usually considered spring break yet so I believe the airlines gouge those who are eager to book early at any cost. Don't pay that price especially on Spirit. Be patient, you have a ton of time.

No matter what? I realize that future gas prices are also unknown, but that's a pretty broad statement, considering that the OP needs 4 round trip tickets.

I shop my tickets flying out of Minnesota constantly. I fly for business all the time. Based on what it would cost to drive to Florida and back from Chicago, you have to pay for fuel, tolls, hotels, and meals for four people yes you will pay much less to fly than to drive. Add to that add at least two extra days off from work to drive. Plus coming out of Chicago you will more than likely get a non stop flight.

I am very confident it will cost less to fly than to drive.

JoeRum

1 - Too early to book

2 - Consider other airports to leave from

3 - Consider Miami for arrival

4 - Look at a day earlier - I would hope you are already doing at least one day early (winter in Chicago?)

5 - Look at returning a day later

Air travel that fits the schedule of those going on cruises is always pricey. You might want to come in a day early or stay an extra day and catch a flight that doesn´t work for the cruising schedule. Should be cheaper.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

It is a little early for Jet Blue and Southwest, and does Frontier or Alligent fly from somewhere close? It has been a while since I have been through O'hare or her sister thank my lucky stars! I have been stuck at Ohare with cancelled flights more times than I wanted; all due to hideous weather and power outages!

You and the world will be on Spring break; hence the high price! I would plan at least coming in a day early, because I would hate to watch Allure leave on webcam and you aren't on it. Safe travels!

We have been watching the ORD -> FLL prices for a while, and they are pretty crazy. Normally we buy as soon as they are available, but, we're going to wait a bit and see if the drop. FWIW, we prefer to fly American, but even the other airlines are high.

BTW - I think in general air prices have gone up. We haven't had a flight under 300 bucks for a few years now.

Air travel that fits the schedule of those going on cruises is always pricey. You might want to come in a day early or stay an extra day and catch a flight that doesn´t work for the cruising schedule. Should be cheaper.

Definitely consider coming in a day early, preferably the earliest flight of the day which is usually cheaper and has fewer flight delays. Even if you have to wake the kids up at 4 in the morning, you will then have time to enjoy an afternoon at the pool or the beach. There are many reasonably priced hotels in Fort Lauderdale that include pick up from the airport, shuttle service to the beach or shopping, free breakfast. (Check for hotel recommendations on the Florida boards).

Do the same thing on the return. Price the earliest time for the next day, a time that does not work for cruise passengers (including the 6000 other people getting off Allure with you). Think of the debarkation day as a vacation day and do something fun. Many people have reported that by using this strategy for only 2 people, with lower airfare, they have more than saved the price of the hotel and dinner and gotten extra vacation days besides.