Best place to view eagles

Anyislandwilldo

Planning our trip to Alaska for June 2017 and looking for the best place for viewing eagles. We plan on flying from Seattle to Fairbanks. Doing the land tour and then taking the cruise southbound. Trying to plan activities for each stop and would like to hear from experienced travelers where the best spot for eagle viewing would be. DH would like to have a close up experience if that's possible. Thanks in advance.

Pretty much anywhere there is forest. The best advice- "look for golf balls near tops of trees". The "golf ball" is the white head of the eagle.

Look near fish processing facilities, as the eagles love the buffet of waste fish.

The best place to see eagles is Ketchikan on the Crab Fishing excursion aboard the Aleutian Ballad (TV's Deadliest Catch). The ship goes to a native-controlled island and feeds the eagles. The eagles swoop down from the trees and grab fish just a few yards from the boat. My estimate would be 50-80 eagles present during the feeding.

Almost all of the photographs on this link were taken during the feeding time:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife/eagles/

you'll see them anywhere and everywhere, starting with Seattle. We have quite a few resident eagles in and around Seattle. The easiest place to spot them is along the shore of West Seattle. I live on the east side and see them almost daily on my way to work.

But seriously you'll see them everywhere (not so much inland like Fairbanks) but look at the tallest trees along the coastline, particularly at the mouth of a river where they can easily watch for salmon, near the fishing docks/piers, mouth of a bay .....

Just spend time on the deck enjoying the scenery and you'll see them.

The key to "seeing" eagles/wildlife is to simply- LOOK. :) Time and effort are needed along with a good pair of binoculars. Having a car in Juneau could be an excellent opportunity as I see eagles frequently by Lemon Creek, and especially at low tide at Auke Bay.

Ketchikan- I've seen them along the south end cruise route- just about every trip. :) They can be anywhere.

As everyone has said, there are eagles all over once you get near water.

However, if you want to get a close look, you may have to consider taking one of the wildlife cruises. We took one in Ketchikan and we actually saw a bunch of eagles flying together ... something we've never seen before.

The best place to see eagles is Ketchikan on the Crab Fishing excursion aboard the Aleutian Ballad (TV's Deadliest Catch). The ship goes to a native-controlled island and feeds the eagles. The eagles swoop down from the trees and grab fish just a few yards from the boat. My estimate would be 50-80 eagles present during the feeding.

Hey Crew News, got a question for you, if one does the Crab Fishing excursion, would one still have time to do the entire walking tour of Ketchikan and would the eagles still be around the preserve or would they have flown the coop, by the time Sept rolls around? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Hi Crew News, the walking tour in Ketchikan, the stops for me would include, the welcome arch, St Johns Church, whale park, Chief Johnson totem pole, the Funicular & hotel, the fish ladder, Creek St & etc. Have heard that the Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle center closed down 2 yrs ago. The tunnel also is to see, and wandering elsewhere, so... At least at the moment they are a must see.

"AGREE"...amazing... We loved this tour and will be taking some of the family on it in September ... they are in for a treat. :D

Hey Crew News, got a question for you, if one does the Crab Fishing excursion, would one still have time to do the entire walking tour of Ketchikan and would the eagles still be around the preserve or would they have flown the coop, by the time Sept rolls around? Inquiring minds would like to know.

As permanent residents of the island, the eagles are present year round so September would find them ready for an excursion snack.

The excursion lasts 3.5 hours so it depends on how long you will be in Ketchikan as to doing a full walking tour.

There is so much to see in Alaska that you have to prioritize for your cruise. Once you have experienced Alaska, you will surely return to see what you missed on previous cruises.

Hi Crew News, the walking tour in Ketchikan, the stops for me would include, the welcome arch, St Johns Church, whale park, Chief Johnson totem pole, the Funicular & hotel, the fish ladder, Creek St & etc. Have heard that the Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle center closed down 2 yrs ago. The tunnel also is to see, and wandering elsewhere, so... At least at the moment they are a must see.

Ketchikan is not that large and taking the walking tour depends on how much time you have. Creek Street is about four block from the downtown pier.

Leave some time for shopping at Tongass Trading Company, located at the downtown pier.

The Radiance will be in Ketchikan 9 to 6 p.m. in Sept. Does that help? Also looked at You tube for the Bearing Sea, after seeing all the eagles, it does look tempting to book the tour. Will have to think on it.

The tour only lasts 3.5 hours so you should have plenty of time for walking. Here is a link to their website to see what you will see:

http://alaskacrabtour.com/

The Radiance will be in Ketchikan 9 to 6 p.m. in Sept. Does that help? Also looked at You tube for the Bearing Sea, after seeing all the eagles, it does look tempting to book the tour. Will have to think on it.

I love eagles, but I don't like the idea of feeding wild animals for the benefit of tourists. As much as I'd like to see the eagles, I choose to not take this tour. I will seek them out in more natural circumstances.

In Ketchikan when the fish are running, Herring Cove. We've counted 35 there although parking is difficult. Possibly bears too. There is also a seafood processing plant about 1 mile north of town where the eagles congregate when they are processing fish which may be near the end of June this year.

In Haines, Mud Bay. I got a nice photo of one flying with a small flounder in its beak last week. There were a couple dozen.

Just look up. We see them at most port stops flying overhead.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time we were in Sitka, the eagles there were like pigeons - just everywhere! They also have a raptor center there where they'll nurse injured birds back to health and release them back into the wild once healed (if at all possible).

Same with Hoonah. We took the free shuttle there from Icy Strait Point and saw more than 30 eagles in the little harbor hanging out like pigeons or seagulls, as someone said. You don't have to take a special tour to see eagles.

You'll see them everywhere, starting with Seattle. I live in a Seattle suburb and have a few resident eagles right here.

I love eagles, but I don't like the idea of feeding wild animals for the benefit of tourists. As much as I'd like to see the eagles, I choose to not take this tour. I will seek them out in more natural circumstances.

I feel very strongly on this issue as well. Alaska is the "land of plenty" with wildlife and the ability to see it completely in the wild. My only preference.

This is an important environmental factor I always consider. I also look into this with my snorkeling selections and where I go. Another- concern I have with feeding fish.

We did the Anan observatory excursion from Ketchikan and though bears are the main objective we saw many Eagles close up ... It was the best excursion of our trip ... The flight, the Bears, the Eagles ... It couldn't have been better.ImageUploadedByForums1434201619.186772.jpg.8c32f0c5b3d24710e5f3fc62752be222.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1434201556.064987.jpg.3f078a6a450f80920027a1bfbefca7cb.jpg

Edited by rachelfran

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Eagles, Totem and lighthouse tour from Ketchikan and saw lots of eagle nests and eagles sitting on them and flying around them but frankly my best views of eagles were 1) saw a juvenile eagle flying around the marina when we got off the whale watching boat in Juneau and 2) in Juneau walking along and looking up from the wooden boardwalk between the tram and the next dock. There are many high trees on the land side and there were dozens of eagles up there. It was the best eagle viewing for me. Not sure how close you want to get; you do need binoculars to see them up close but from the Juneau dock there were so many in the trees it was spectacular. I even saw a adult eagle chase off a juvenile from a high perch, it was neat to see.

In Ketchikan on the bay by Saxman Native Village near a cannery there were many eagles and many nests. About 3 miles south of town.

The Crabfisherman's Tour usually does and eagle stop bu the time we went there was development in the area so they skipped that experience. i was quite disappointed.

By the time we left Alaska it had become- What? Another eagle? I cannot imagine anyone going to Alaska and not seeing many eagles.

Edited by 5waldos