What did you do to celebrate you retirement?

theminnow

I know that you shouldn't assume, but I will throw caution to the wind. I assume that many of the members that post in this forum are retired, and I was wondering what you did to celebrate your retirement. Does not have be a cruise, just curious (throwing caution to the wind again) what other people did.

I took a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas with DW and another couple. All four of us got the drink package, and it was nice to not have to have a designated driver. We (DW and myself) booked a JS on the hump. I think we got spoiled and will be looking to book JS or higher on our future cruises. It was a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we had a great time. Labadee and Falmouth were alright, but the Caymans and Cozumel fantastic.

So what did you all do?

Craig

We bought a travel trailer and learned to enjoy state run campgrounds. Then we moved to Florida where cruising has become our travel venue of choice. 5 ports and we are centrally located, so getting there involves NO FLYING!

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks on a beach. A cruise a few weeks later. 3 weeks in Puerto Rico a few weeks later. All followed by 5 months in the RV. We haven't stopped traveling yet although we have learned to take a month at home before leaving on our next trip and making all trips a minimum of a month.

Retired 3/6, flew to Tokyo 3/8, embarked Regent Seven Seas Voyager 3/11 and enjoyed the most wonderful 87-day Grand Voyage that ended in Southampton 6/6. A long time in the planning and saving.....well worth it!

• 1 month later...
I just finished my first year of retirement. I celebrated by doing 13 cruises -- some spur of the moment when prices dropped. We'll see what this year brings:)

Holy Cra_. That's a lot of cruises! Good for you.:)

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

A cruise inspired us to retire. I found the cruise, 28 days on HAL San Diego round trip to Hawaii and French Polynesia. Booked it!

Wait a minute, do I want to go back to work after 28 days? Nope! I had a great job and I told all of my co-workers that I had the best job in the building. But, the thought of returning after a 28 day cruise made the decision easy. We took our cruise in February, 2013 and since the end of that cruise we have completed 109 days on cruises.

I sort of miss that job, but the ability to cruise is good, too.

Jim

When DW retired, we celebrated by spending a weekend in Wilmington, NC (I was still working). We managed to get the tires and wheels from our car stolen in the hotel parking lot. We got to go back and forth a few times account that fun experience.

When I retired, I just luxuriated in an extra stay in the hot tub. I was numb and relieved that I did not have to go back to the hideous pit that my employer had become.

Shortly after that, we booked a transatlantic cruise.

I spent a year in medical hell--6 hospitalizations totalling almost 2 months, including 5 surgeries and 3 months with an IV port at home.

Celebrated surviving that with a cruise last summer, and that started the cruise bug biting hard.

Now enjoying retirement and renewed health by cruising every chance I get!

• 3 weeks later...

I celebrated by booking my first world cruise (which hopefully will not be my last). Been retired for three years now and have done two more cruises after the world one and have three more booked. If I had the money I would cruise ten months a year!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I will also let you know next year! Will retire July 3rd, 2016. Have a cruise already booked for Halloween, That year! I Can't wait!! Ready to say bye bye to a job after 30 years! I am sure I will miss it, but I think I will survive! :)