Bad Weather

alpha0meqa

Hello all,

I'm a bit bummed. I finally was able to get my family together for a cruise, they've never been, and we depart Saturday(This Saturday), and Miami is the place we will leave from. It will be raining in Miami according to the internet for like 10 days straight....ugh...Then I check our first stop Nassau, and it will be raining again Sunday....SIGH....Grand Turks on Tuesday looks like we may not see rain, but Half Moon Cay on Monday is rain and thunderstorm....What horrible crappy @##@$ luck.. I'm really feeling crappy now. I don't want their vacation to suck....Stupid rain.

Has anyone ever experienced such as this(well duh, I'm sure it will be a yes). Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Let's hope for a breakthrough for you!! My sister & brother in law saved up for eons to get away on The Pearl last year (October, I believe. I know...it's always risky in Hurricane Season!!). Storms all the way, except for half a day. My sister said they circled around & circled around, off of Miami, with half a day on one of the islands (forget which one). Hoping you enjoy better weather and some wonderful food & on board activities!!

Keep in mind that predicting the weather (anywhere) is a "best guess" based on current conditions, and can change. I wouldn't get too bummed out over a forecast that's nearly a week away. By the time you get to each of your ports, you may luck out and have beautiful weather. If a pop-up storm does happen to show up, just take it in stride and don't let it ruin your day. Since Half Moon Cay is essentially a beach day, and it starts raining while you're swimming, what's the worst that can happen? You might get wet?:rolleyes::D

On our first cruise to Bermuda, about a week before the cruise I also checked out the weather when we would be in port, and it showed rain every day. Started setting up plan B, but I never had to use it as it rained once in the morning before breakfast and the weather the rest of the time we were there was sunny and nice.

Point is don't let the weather report get you down, way to far out for an accurate prediction. Besides I'd rather be on a cruise with rain then be going to work.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

On our first cruise to Bermuda, about a week before the cruise I also checked out the weather when we would be in port, and it showed rain every day. Started setting up plan B, but I never had to use it as it rained once in the morning before breakfast and the weather the rest of the time we were there was sunny and nice.

Point is don't let the weather report get you down, way to far out for an accurate prediction. Besides I'd rather be on a cruise with rain then be going to work.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

Thanks Craig, very optimistic thinking for sure. I wish I could think like that. I got all of this set up though, the fun-ness of the cruise is up to me I feel like. I talked my family into this so I just want it to be the best.

Try not to stress. I know its hard when you have convinced them finally to cruise with you. It may not be as wet as it says it will. And if it is, cest la vie. I am sure there will be many wonderful activities on board ship to distract the rellies. You will most likely have a wonderful time DESPITE any rain. So just try to take a deep breath and take each day as it comes. Enjoy the vacay.

OP, I completely understand your frustration and disappointment, but I sincerely hope you won't let this get you down. Quick showers are very common in the Caribbean - has happened to us more times than we can count. What do you do? You carry on. You order another drink or maybe some appetizers, and say, "Hey, I'm on vacation and not working!". Right? ;)

Gotta tell you, as a recent cancer survivor, I would take a rainy day on a cruise over any day in chemotherapy. *nods* Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Enjoy your family and your cruise. :)

OP, I completely understand your frustration and disappointment, but I sincerely hope you won't let this get you down. Quick showers are very common in the Caribbean - has happened to us more times than we can count. What do you do? You carry on. You order another drink or maybe some appetizers, and say, "Hey, I'm on vacation and not working!". Right? ;)

Gotta tell you, as a recent cancer survivor, I would take a rainy day on a cruise over any day in chemotherapy. *nods* Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Enjoy your family and your cruise. :)

Thanks for your story. I'll hope for the best. I'm glad to hear of your success story too. :) I'll try to stay in a cheerful state. I just want them to enjoy everything I did. Like standing outside the top deck while we leaving waving goodbye or something haha.

Hello all,

I'm a bit bummed. I finally was able to get my family together for a cruise, they've never been, and we depart Saturday(This Saturday), and Miami is the place we will leave from. It will be raining in Miami according to the internet for like 10 days straight....ugh...Then I check our first stop Nassau, and it will be raining again Sunday....SIGH....Grand Turks on Tuesday looks like we may not see rain, but Half Moon Cay on Monday is rain and thunderstorm....What horrible crappy @##@$ luck.. I'm really feeling crappy now. I don't want their vacation to suck....Stupid rain.

Has anyone ever experienced such as this(well duh, I'm sure it will be a yes). Just wondering what everyone thinks.

I would seriously not fret. Remember this is the tropics!! Rain doesn't always mean rain all day. We have had rain on the last 2 cruises and the rain lasted all of maybe an hour? It for sure wasn't enough to ruin the day or the cruise. Whatever activities we had going on at the time just got moved in doors.

Last cruise it moved in when we were in grand cayman. Honestly when it was pouring we stepped into a shop, but then when it was just sprinkling we were out walking. It was so hot that day no one minded. And honestly, again, no one minded and it didn't last all day.

Yes -- it has happened to us many times -- Caribbean -- Alaska -- Europe -- Hawaii -- etc.

We would just pull out our portable umbrellas and make the best of the situation.

Now that I use a walker/rollator -- I can't handle an umbrella and DH isn't much help to keep me covered with a big one.

So most times we stay on the ship -- spend time on our verandah and people watch. Visit a bar or two and talk with the crew.

I think that if you're going to be grumpy about something, make it something worthwhile. Be depressed about nuclear war, or half the town being wiped out by mutant acne, or something really bad that hasn't happened yet. Getting depressed about bad weather on holiday is pathetic enough - getting depressed about bad weather that hasn't happened yet really is a waste of time and energy. The ship has a roof. Your skin is waterproof. How bad can it be?

Our 1st cruise was crappy weather...rained...cloudy...ick! I just knew no one would believe I'd cruised and had no tan!

However...we still had so much fun, we kept cruising! You will, too. No worries! The odds of it being total rain is slim.

No matter how wet it is...it's still going to be hot...bring shorts!

Plenty to do - both ashore and onboard if it is raining. Rain shouldn't affect any of the food service except for making a shorter line at the pool-side venues. In Nassau - you can check out the aquarium at Atlantis. Mostly indoors. Have a Plan B if it does rain (inside activities).

Enjoy.

Best cruise ever for us, out running a hurricane for 10days. Second best, 14 days of total rain never got off ship...still in contact with people from those trips

On my first Caribbean cruise, it started pouring at the end of our stay in Jamaica. Once back on the ship, we learned there was a tropical storm. Two days later after getting back in Miami and then getting back to the west coast, we heard a hurricane was heading for Miami.

On our last couple of cruises (to Hawaii), there was plenty of rain. A record number of straight days of rain here in LA, plus a couple more on the first sea days. Next cruise, lots of rain too. Not a problem. It was pouring in Hilo on Christmas Eve...but that's the wetter side of the Big Island (and our first two times there, no rain). Didn't ruin our cruise.

We are in the middle of a drought here in California so any rain here is joyously welcomed (you should see the Facebook posts whenever we do get some -- we're all happy campers). Many people are removing their lawns and replacing with rock gardens. Not kidding.