Fear of Missing Out

My dilemma is that I've been on the largest ships (Oasis Class) and when it comes time to plan future cruises, I feel that booking anything less than the Oasis class will not be as enjoyable.

Let me be clear, this is a great problem to have. I feel very fortunate to be able to cruise and am happy with almost any itinerary and any ship. With that said, I am of the mindset that if I can get a good deal on the current cruise I am planning, that leaves more $$ to plan the next one.

The next cruise I am planning is on the Celebrity Constellation. I've been on the ship once before and I would add that it is a fine ship. I try to stick to RCL and X cruises when I can. The reason I booked was predominantly due to price - Celebrity has been very lucrative in the past year or so due to their 123GO promotions.

Here is where I am at now. I have a cruise booked and I am excited for it. Now comes the dreadful / exciting time as I wait for my departure date. It's exciting because ITS A CRUISE - what could be better than that? The dreadful part is that I know several of the larger ships (Oasis and Freedom) class are available the same week. I can't help but think I'm missing out.

Finally, this post is in no way a complaint. I am excited for my next adventure wherever that may be. My question is, how do you justify other itineraries if you have previously sailed on some of the larger and more magnificent ships?

Size isn't everything. Smaller (mid-size) ships offer features, amenities, and designs that the larger ships don't. Enjoy strolling a shipwide exterior promenade deck? Not on Oasis class. Enjoy free steam/sauna? Not on Oasis class. Enjoy a LARGE schooner bar with sea views? Not on Oasis class.

It's not a matter of smaller ships offering less. It is a matter of smaller ships offering something different.

And the trend seems to be newer ships, regardless of size or brand, offering less included with the fare and more optional fee based add ons so the grass isn't always greener with the latest and greatest.

I agree with the above.

This being said your cruise is going to be very different than your Royal cruise.

If your looking for excitement and a lively crowd I think you will be very disappointed . Celebrity is a wonderful line but a little to laid back for me at this point in life.

I know how you feel about missing the mega ships. There is so much going on and I love the promenade on the Oasis and Freedom class. We are booked on the Allure, in the fall, and after that, the Harmony. We sailed on the Quantum last year and I missed the big promenade.

We became Elite on Celebrity, which made us Diamond on Royal Caribbean. We sailed on the Independence and haven't gone back to Celebrity. The only way, I'd want to sail on a smaller ship again. would be on a very intensive port cruise and I would only be using the ship for transportation.

After 25 years of cruising, the ship is the destination for us.

Size isn't everything. Smaller (mid-size) ships offer features, amenities, and designs that the larger ships don't. Enjoy strolling a shipwide exterior promenade deck? Not on Oasis class. Enjoy free steam/sauna? Not on Oasis class. Enjoy a LARGE schooner bar with sea views? Not on Oasis class.

It's not a matter of smaller ships offering less. It is a matter of smaller ships offering something different.

And the trend seems to be newer ships, regardless of size or brand, offering less included with the fare and more optional fee based add ons so the grass isn't always greener with the latest and greatest.

I agree with this. I loved both the Oasis and Allure but I also love smaller ships because they offer different things.

I do like all the differences the ships offer. I love the Allure, but am really looking forward to the Adventure in October. I also want to try the Anthem, but cannot bring myself to sail out of New Jersey in colder weather. One of my favorite cruises was on the Monarch. Each ship offers something unique and for me it all depends on what I am going for. Sometimes I just want a quiet trip to just unwind and relax, others I want to do and see everything on the ship. Any day on a ship is better than a day on land.

It's all in what your priorities are. If the bells and whistles of Oasis class are what you love then you might be "missing out". We haven't sailed one yet and don't have much ambition to, we like other ships just fine and put a higher priority on the ports. Good thing there are different options for different folks:)

I was on the Oasis, and loved it. But I also enjoy the smaller ones. As long as I'm on a cruise , I love it. My next is the Serenade, which is a Radiance class. There is plenty to do on all RCCL ships. After that is Carnival's new Vista, which is also smaller, but different, and I'm thinking about the Harmony in Dec.2017 if RCCL doesn't price itself out of the market. So far they haven't.

OP,

We went from sailing Freedom of the Seas for New Years to the Legend of the Seas for spring break. We loved both for different reasons. We really enjoyed the intimate feel of the legend. We felt like we got to know more people and the cruise critic group was the most active and involved than we have ever seen or experienced. The ship was so small that everything was close by and the number of passengers was small too so there was a crowding issue anytime.

My best advice is to study the ship you are going on before so you know what to expect and what not to. This way you will not go thinking you may get a particular venue or activity and then learn its not offered on that ship while on your cruise.

We have sailed on both large and small ships. They each offer a different type of cruise experience. The nice thing about the smaller ships is you will get a more intimate cruise experience. And, IMHO, the food on Celebrity is REALLY great!! It's always great to experience a variety of cruise styles.

We went on our first cruise ever in Feb. aboard the Allure and just tonight we booked the Adventure for October. I do have the same fear a little bit that we had such an amazing time on Allure and there was so much to do and so much going on that a smaller ship may disappoint us. The mixed Adventure reviews scare me a bit too, but going to be open minded and form my own opinion. I am going into it in an extremely positive mindset- I am excited to experience a completely different ship and different ports and excited to just be on vacation.

My dilemma is that I've been on the largest ships (Oasis Class) and when it comes time to plan future cruises, I feel that booking anything less than the Oasis class will not be as enjoyable.

Let me be clear, this is a great problem to have. I feel very fortunate to be able to cruise and am happy with almost any itinerary and any ship. With that said, I am of the mindset that if I can get a good deal on the current cruise I am planning, that leaves more $$ to plan the next one.

Here is where I am at now. I have a cruise booked and I am excited for it. Now comes the dreadful / exciting time as I wait for my departure date. It's exciting because ITS A CRUISE - what could be better than that? The dreadful part is that I know several of the larger ships (Oasis and Freedom) class are available the same week. I can't help but think I'm missing out.

Finally, this post is in no way a complaint. I am excited for my next adventure wherever that may be. My question is, how do you justify other itineraries if you have previously sailed on some of the larger and more magnificent ships?

After sailing on the Allure twice I have booked on a smaller ship as well. I loved the Allure and all she offered, but I felt there was so much to see and do it became overwhelming. Whatever we did on the 1st sailing was not repeated on the 2nd except for meals, MO5AIC, and the comedy club. I am now looking forward to our Liberty sailing because it's going to more relaxing. Initially I was a bit hesitant since she's smaller, but the desire to go back to Bermuda and not fly to the port won. I already looked at the Daily Activities and although there are fewer options compared to the Allure I welcome it. The Oasis class ships are the destination and until the itineraries differ I will not be booking a cruise on any of them. Enjoy.

Edited by sauvichick