Can you stay on shore when you are in the same port over night?

KatieBug28

We're cruising the Miracle to the Mexican Riviera, and have an over night stop in Cabo. We've done this itinerary before, and I understand that the ship will go back out to sea over night.

But if you want to stay on shore, can you? Does it mess up customs or anything? We'd like to do a sea turtle release, but they are done at night, so we were thinking it might be possible to get a hotel on shore for one night. Has anyone done this? Anything we need to watch out for paperwork wise? We obviously don't want to do it if it is going to mean we can't get back on for some reason.

TIA for all the answers!

When we were on the Miracle in May we had a over night stay in Puerto Vallarta. DH and I chose to book a room at a local resort and stay there for the night. When I called Carnival I was told that we would be unable to do that. We decided to keep our booking and once on the ship spoke to guest services and was told that there was no problem if we decided not to sleep on board that one night. Gangways closed at 8 or 9pm and re-opened the next morning at 8am. I don't know about Cabo but in PV the ship stays docked in port. Funny thing, the lady I spoke with at the 800 Carnival number stated that the ship leaves the port overnight and re-docks the next morning!

As long as you have your passports with you and can afford to fly home from Cabo on short notice if the ship doesn't make it back, i say go for it. Otherwise. I wouldn't risk it in Cabo. Puerto Vallarta you would be fine though. You could also do an AI down there instead of cuise. More time in Cabo isn't a bad thing#

cabo is a tender port. If the ship is unable to tender on the next day then you risk missing the ship

Hmm, good point. I hadn't thought of that. We've never had trouble tendering into Cabo, but that certainly doesn't mean it will all run smoothly this time. Maybe I'll look into the ferry to PV just in case, and we can make a decision based on that. We all have passports, so not a worry there, but it would suck to miss the rest of the cruise!

My view is that you go on a cruise to leave all your cares and worries behind. I wouldn't do anything that would add stress and worries to the cruise.

Agreed. Plus, since your cruise is paid for, why pay for a room for the night when you already have a room paid for? Just my opinion. I don't see the point.

Agreed. Plus, since your cruise is paid for, why pay for a room for the night when you already have a room paid for? Just my opinion. I don't see the point.

Seems like the 'point' is that sea turtle releases are done at night.

Who cares what has already been paid for. One night in a cruise ship room (depending on the room) might have very little value.

I'd agree with the people who recommend a passport and insurance in case the ship doesn't get to port the next day. But if you don't have a passport it isn't like you'll be stuck in Mexico forever, it will just be more of a hassle. We stood next to people in Cozumel who had missed their ship and were traveling on birth certificates. It was clear the Cozumel airport dealt with this a lot, and they got on a flight, and just had more hassle going through immigration in the US. The Cabo airport might not deal with it as much, but you'll get home eventually.

Somehow if the ship weren't able to tender the next day, I doubt the insurance would pay for them to get to the ship at another port or pay the airfare to get home. I say that because the ship's schedule doesn't show it is in port all night. I think if you missed the ship,it would be your own fault, so no payment from the insurance co.

Also, I don't understand the poster who said the ship stayed docked in Mazatlan and closed the gangway at 9PM. If the ship is there as a scheduled overnight how can they do that? I do understand if they sailed away and came back the next morning, but not if they are actually staying there and not moving all night. Is it some Mexican law or something? I question that because we have overnighted in Bermuda several times and we were able to come/go without any problems. The ship didn't leave the dock, so we could come back late after doing things on the island. Closing down the gangway on a ship staying docked, makes no sense to me. Please explain.

This is just a theory' date=' I have no factual knowledge. But, for the gangway to stay open, I think the port would have to be open, with port employees doing their thing. Maybe if the port isn't open, you can't come and go off the ship[/quote']

in most ports, its the ship security that deal with the gangway with security (metal detectors) and checking in/out with your sail n sign card

On our Bermuda cruise I can't count as high as the number of passengers that split the ship for an all inclusive somewhere on the island for a few days (2 nights each in 2 ports, one island) - it's a popular thing to do -

Edited by tea4ular

Somehow if the ship weren't able to tender the next day, I doubt the insurance would pay for them to get to the ship at another port or pay the airfare to get home. I say that because the ship's schedule doesn't show it is in port all night. I think if you missed the ship,it would be your own fault, so no payment from the insurance co.

Wouldn't you just report to the insurance that you missed the ship the previous day? You only stuck around because you thought you'd have a chance to get back on the next day, when they then weren't able to tender and now you are stuck.

That seems like a pretty typical insurance scenario.

Most people who miss ships miss it through their own fault (not planning enough time to get back).

Edited by skittl1321

in most ports, its the ship security that deal with the gangway with security (metal detectors) and checking in/out with your sail n sign card

I can only speak to Cozumel and Costa Maya, there was definitely Mexican guards as well and they were very well armed. I do not recall if they were Federal, state or local, but my guess is Federal.

They may not be willing to have the port open for tourists all night.

In the South Pacific (Tahiti), some people stayed ashore in one of the hotels with the huts over the water. No problem. Our port stayed open all night too. Sounds to me like the possibility of no tender 2nd day would be your only issue. Maybe you could check the weather and make a decision at the last minute. If you can't find a hotel in Cabo san Lucas at the last minute, Todos Santos or San Jose del Cabo are both a short drive away, both much better towns than Cabo san Lucas and usually have hotel openings.

Wouldn't you just report to the insurance that you missed the ship the previous day? You only stuck around because you thought you'd have a chance to get back on the next day, when they then weren't able to tender and now you are stuck.

That seems like a pretty typical insurance scenario.

Most people who miss ships miss it through their own fault (not planning enough time to get back).

I honestly don't know. My thought is that the poster decided when getting off the ship to stay overnight. A conscious decision. My understanding of the insurance is if you miss the cruise because the plane didn't take off on time for you to meet your connection, an accident on the highway to the port or anything other than choosing to stay overnight. I also don't think, but I don't know as I never am late to the port, if one is drinking say in Cozumel and missed the ship because you were having too good a time and didn't realize what time you needed to be onboard, that insurance would pay for that.

My understanding for insurance re missing the ship is that you couldn't get to the port initially because of weather, missed connections etc. items beyond your control. Once onboard, it's your problem. If I am wrong on this, I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will correct me.

You are responsible for getting back on the ship after you got there and it's not the cruise lines problem, it's yours.

Ok, I just want to add something, are you saying if the ship doesn't get back to the port the next day you can lie and say you missed the ship the day before? OMG that, to me, takes lying, cheating to a new level. If I am wrong about that, then I apologize but-----

Edited by katiel53

I was on Miracle in November and you could come and go as you pleased all night long in PV.

Lucky! When we were on the Miracle in May the gangway closed at 9pm and reopened the next morning. I think it was due to the issues that were going on in PV with their police and local drug cartels.

Lucky! When we were on the Miracle in May the gangway closed at 9pm and reopened the next morning. I think it was due to the issues that were going on in PV with their police and local drug cartels.

This is the first I've heard of this. I was in PV for business for most of May. Was this posted by Carnival or the port? What sailing were you on?