A Few Juneau Questions

supatraveler

I've posted this in the Alaska thread as well, but since this board is so active, I figured I'd ask here as well. Thanks!

Hello All!

We are heading up to Alaska shortly via the HAL Westerdam. We do not have an excursion planned in Juneau as we want to just go visit Mendenhall and maybe explore the town.

A Few questions;

1) It looks like the weather is rather rainy in Juneau the next week or so. Is it still possible to go to Mendenhall and hike around? We are at least hoping to make it to nugget falls. Are there other hikes recommended around Mendenhall too?

2) I've heard about the school bus/shuttle bus to the visitor center? Where do I find that specifically, in relation to where the Westerdam docks? What schedule does it run on? And how much does it cost?

Thank you!

This is Juneau today per Marinetraffic.com. Where Oosterdam is docked is probably where Westerdam will be. The smaller ships usually dock where Pacific Princess is. Princess usually dock where Infinity is (you can see a Grand class ship in the Google photo under the blue of Infinity. Anyway, right where the print of Oosterdam is, is where there are booths to purchase the shuttle tickets to Mendenhall. It's also where you get the Mt. Robert's Tram. EM

June1_zpsjiiyelfg.jpg

the hike to Nugget Falls is about a mile each way, very easy to walk. We were there first week of May last year and it was light sprinkles. Not difficult at all and didn't come close to needing an umbrella (full disclaimer re: the umbrella - we're from Seattle). Believe there were a couple other paths mentioned but we took the more direct path.

Assume you mean the visitor center for Mendenhall? It's right there also. Ship's excursion was very organized and a reasonable price so we were fine paying a few extra bucks.

Have fun!

Thank you for the insight and help! How close is the ship dock to the downtown/shopping/eating area of Juneau?

What would be the best way to schedule visiting Mendenhall and hiking around, and then heading into town?

For example: (ship is scheduled to be in Juneau for 1:00pm-10:00pm)

1:00-Leave the ship and catch the shuttle to Mendenhall

2:00-4:00/4:30-Hike around Mendenhall

4:30-shuttle back to the ship

5:00--walk around town?

Does a schedule like this make sense? Open to any suggestions since I don't know too much about Juneau and it's the only port we don't have a planned excursion in. thanks!

Thank you for the insight and help! How close is the ship dock to the downtown/shopping/eating area of Juneau?

What would be the best way to schedule visiting Mendenhall and hiking around, and then heading into town?

For example: (ship is scheduled to be in Juneau for 1:00pm-10:00pm)

1:00-Leave the ship and catch the shuttle to Mendenhall

2:00-4:00/4:30-Hike around Mendenhall

4:30-shuttle back to the ship

5:00--walk around town?

Does a schedule like this make sense? Open to any suggestions since I don't know too much about Juneau and it's the only port we don't have a planned excursion in. thanks!

That schedule is fine. Make sure you hit the Fudge Shop for some chocolates!

Depends where you dock in Juneau. One dock is 15 minute walk, the others are across the street from the downtown area (small)

Edit: from the cruise ship schedule, it looks as if you are right in town. Good!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

The Volendam docked in Juneau last week right in town (photo below). You can see people disembarking on the left, above the white vehicle. The tour kiosks were on the right, those red sheds, and the bus to Mendenhall was that blue bus stopped on the road. We bought our tickets at one of the kiosks, but I think you could pay on the bus, too. When we returned, we went to the end of the line where the "funicular" up the hill went from, and then walked back shopping and stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack for the obligatory King crab legs and crabcakes.

P1000742_zpsnbiizdsn.jpg

Thank you for the tips! Is the best way to check the time at the place where I buy the tickets?

Just in case, how much is a taxi from the visitors center back to the ship? And do they have them waiting there, or do you need to call? Thanks!

If you take the bus on your own you are in charge of how long you stay there. We stayed several hours and hiked several of the nature trails. A ship's excursion may not have you there as long as you want. Do not take any food. There is likely lots of bears in the area

If you take the bus on your own you are in charge of how long you stay there. We stayed several hours and hiked several of the nature trails. A ship's excursion may not have you there as long as you want. Do not take any food. There is likely lots of bears in the area

Yes! We've seen bears up close and personal quite a few times at Mendenhall!

The Volendam docked in Juneau last week right in town (photo below). You can see people disembarking on the left, above the white vehicle. The tour kiosks were on the right, those red sheds, and the bus to Mendenhall was that blue bus stopped on the road. We bought our tickets at one of the kiosks, but I think you could pay on the bus, too. When we returned, we went to the end of the line where the "funicular" up the hill went from, and then walked back shopping and stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack for the obligatory King crab legs and crabcakes.

P1000742_zpsnbiizdsn.jpg

Thank you. That's a great picture and very informative. Does anyone know the name of that dock? According to the schedule, my ship will be docking at the CT dock. Do you know if it's the same one or how far the CT dock is from this picture?

Looking at the names of the docking places on this map, CT dock would be Cruise Terminal, right where Oosterdam is docked in the map I posted near the top. Volendam is smaller, and I have seen it docked at what must be the Steamship Dock on this map. Either way, you are close to the action. EM

June3_zpslx3jrtla.jpg

Thank you. That's a great picture and very informative. Does anyone know the name of that dock? According to the schedule, my ship will be docking at the CT dock. Do you know if it's the same one or how far the CT dock is from this picture?

I think we must have been at the Cruise Ship Terminal dock. If so, the number 8 on Essiesmom's map is the pubic library, just off the ship, where there was free internet. Number 7 on the map might have been Tracy's? You could get to Tracy's either from the sea walk, I think, or through the shop on the street.

Sorry, I looked at the map again, and the library is clearly marked. So we were closer to the library, the red kiosks were right alongside it.

Edited by Vict0riann

I think we must have been at the Cruise Ship Terminal dock. If so, the number 8 on Essiesmom's map is the pubic library, just off the ship, where there was free internet. Number 7 on the map might have been Tracy's? You could get to Tracy's either from the sea walk, I think, or through the shop on the street.

Sorry, I looked at the map again, and the library is clearly marked. So we were closer to the library, the red kiosks were right alongside it.

Thanks to you and Essiesmom. I'm thinking from looking at the pictures and maps that you were probably at the Steamship Dock. I wish I would be at your dock, but it is what it is. I have some mobility issues. I can walk, but not long distances. I'll have to see what it looks like when I get there. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/Copper10-8/media/map_downtown_big.jpg.html?t=1302068009

Nice pic! :) That's the Alaska Steamship Dock. The Cruise Ship Terminal or CT Dock is the one to the right (out of view of this pic) immediately south of/in front of the Steamship Dock