Do you want an honest review of Oasis of the Seas?

I'll just carry on. I knew I couldn't make everyone happy. I'll apologize for not being funny and the poor writing and using the word honest instead of some other word and not liking Vintage.

I should introduce my family. I was traveling with my husband and twin sons. This was their graduation and 18th birthday celebration cruise. They chose this ship over a trip to Hawaii. We met another couple at Port Everglades. They flew from Austin on Jet Blue. Try to imagine me saying that with a smarmy voice.

Day 0.

I thought I had a really great idea. I found a package deal on Travelocity for a flight and hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. There were 2 problems. The airline and the hotel. We flew from DFW on an afternoon flight arriving around 8:15. Everything was going smoothly. I paid all the Spirit Air upcharges and it was still cheaper. The seats didn't recline on this plane but it was only a little over 2 hours so it wasn't too painful until we arrived. Our luggage and 150 other bags had gotten stuck on a conveyor belt at DFW. Spirit Air customer service was waiting for us in the office in Ft. Lauderdale with a list of passengers whose bags didn't arrive. They told us not to worry because the bags would be on the 9:30 am flight and they would bring them to our hotel. I was pissed because they didn't tell me before the flight left. I don't know if that's rational but I was upset. We told them we would return for the 3 bags we put on the belt in Dallas not the 2 bags they said we had. Wait until you hear about the Days Inn.

I wouldn't say we made the best of it. I would say we had no choice. We called the free hotel shuttle to the Days Inn on Broward with no toothbrushes or clean drawers in our possession. I know it's our fault for not packing a change of clothes in the tiny back pack allowed by Spirit Air. I did pack the large bag of medications I take but that's about all I had. My husband had 2 spare tee shirts. I wore one to sleep in. I don't know what the boys had but it wasn't clothes. They slept in their drawers and luckily the Days Inn provided us with complimentary toothbrushes. I was compiling Plan B if our luggage didn't arrive. We would be shopping at the Salvation Army thrift store across the street from the Days Inn. The boys weren't thrilled about that option but they were holding their breath hoping Mom didn't explode.

I mentioned the Days Inn kindly provided us with a few toiletries but you also had to ask for soap because there was no soap in the less than sanitary bathroom. The bathtub was badly stained. It was so bad I wish I had taken a picture. I wasn't really in a joking mood at that time. I was the only member of the family that would step into it. My husband also had an iPad in his small back pack. The Days Inn did not have wifi so we used our cell phones and created a hot spot and I fell asleep watching NetFlix. At 2:30 am I was awakened by very loud street noise from Broward Blvd. That's when the water works started. I began to weep. I wanted to go home. I didn't want to go on a cruise. I wanted my cat. It was pathetic. The boys put their pillows over their heads. My husband got some head phones and reconnected Netflix for me and once again I fell asleep watching Orange is the New Black. The story is so much funnier when I tell it because I use sound effects.

The first shuttle left for the airport at 8:30 and my husband and one of the boys were on it. The plane arrived at 9:30 am and all 3 suit cases were the first ones out of the chute. My husband arranged for that free hotel shuttle to pick him up at 10:00. I'm sitting in the noisy dump with the great shuttle service texting him like crazy. He finally texted "I have all 3 bags". My sleeping son finally decided he could wake up, put on yesterdays clothes, brush with his complimentary tooth brush and tooth paste and eat the free cheerios and banana. We got our money's worth from the shuttle. It turns out I only paid 50 bucks for that dump. I can't in good conscience complain about the filth and the noise. The shuttle alone would have been at least $30 each way. We were finally on our way to the ship around noon.

When I continue I will have figured out this picture thing. Have I mentioned I'm a programmer and I don't know how to embed pictures?

If you're enjoying my review stay tuned. If you're not you probably shouldn't stay tuned.

This is out of sequence but on the last night we were hanging out on the Boardwalk to watch the fountain show. There were 3 little girls playing together in the play area with their grandparents in attendance. All 3 of these little girls were squealing/screaming at the top of their lungs continuously. I don't even know how to describe it. It went like this scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream......... you get it I'm sure. I'm not exaggerating when I say it continued non stop for 15 minutes. We couldn't get far enough away. We went up to the shuffle board behind the movie screen and we could still hear it. We went up to our sons' balcony on deck 9 and we could still hear it. We made a game out of finding someplace, anyplace where we couldn't hear it. I realize they were outside and on vacation and they were kids but for the love of all things holy why wouldn't someone just say "Shut up honey".

Ive had better steaks than Chops at Western Sizzlin :cool: Seriously. And MUCH cheaper. Chops is "meh" to us now and no longer worth the upcharge. Twice we have given it a chance with the same end result. Sad too because we enjoyed it very much back a few years ago (2011).

Sadly, this is our experience as well. 2006-2009, it was exceptional, a real treat for what you paid. Last year on FOS was very disappointed with our meal, but even more-so the very slow service. Gave Chops another chance in January on Brilliance and it was the same. Food was meh and service painfully slow. In March on Liberty, my daughter really, really wanted to go to Chops. It was the same. So disappointed. We'll be on FOS for 2 weeks in September, and won't be dining in Chops.

Didn't mean to hijack...

Edited by jules815

This is out of sequence but on the last night we were hanging out on the Boardwalk to watch the fountain show. There were 3 little girls playing together in the play area with their grandparents in attendance. All 3 of these little girls were squealing/screaming at the top of their lungs continuously. I don't even know how to describe it. It went like this scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream......... you get it I'm sure. I'm not exaggerating when I say it continued non stop for 15 minutes. We couldn't get far enough away. We went up to the shuffle board behind the movie screen and we could still hear it. We went up to our sons' balcony on deck 9 and we could still hear it. We made a game out of finding someplace, anyplace where we couldn't hear it. I realize they were outside and on vacation and they were kids but for the love of all things holy why wouldn't someone just say "Shut up honey".

Kids scream, especially little girls. It's what they do. I'm still reading....

Kids scream, especially little girls. It's what they do. I'm still reading....

And the parents of these kids should tone them down and teach them to have consideration for others. No .. its not "what they do" .. unless they have wuss parents.

Maybe I missed something in the middle as I don't get some of the rude comments (which are hopefully jokes)

Am enjoying your report...but so sorry for your awful start with no luggage (that's my worst nightmare) and the dirty hotel...and annoying screaming kids

Really enjoying your review so far .. it sounds like quite an ordeal u had to endure for ur first night !

I appreciate the honesty u are being chided for here .. we know that the RC cheerleaders on here will go for anyones throat who dare criticize "their" line .. especially Oasis or Allure .. so I see how this took a bit of courage ... keep it coming !

My only question is: why the smarmy voice when saying this? U confused me a little on this one! ;)

We met another couple at Port Everglades. They flew from Austin on Jet Blue. Try to imagine me saying that with a smarmy voice.

Still reading. Going on the Oasis for the first time in a couple of months. Very disappointed to hear you confirm what I've been reading about the food. I hope you found something good to eat!

I share her report about the food. MDR was subpar. Nothing special about the speacialty restaurants. The Windjammer was better than I remembered from 5 years ago. For the food alone I don't think I'll cruise with RCCL again :(

Still reading. Going on the Oasis for the first time in a couple of months. Very disappointed to hear you confirm what I've been reading about the food. I hope you found something good to eat!

I was on the Oasis from May 23-30. I found the food in the MDR to be very good to great, with one subpar meal. Maybe I'm not picky or don't require 5-star restaurant food, but my advice is to set your expectations so that you won't be disappointed. IMO not everything is as terrible as some make it sound.

I was on the Oasis from May 23-30. I found the food in the MDR to be very good to great, with one subpar meal. Maybe I'm not picky or don't require 5-star restaurant food, but my advice is to set your expectations so that you won't be disappointed. IMO not everything is as terrible as some make it sound.

True, food is so subjective. I loved Vintages, with the exception of the octopus. I do not understand the OP hating everything in Vintages. As hard as I tried I could not sample everything on the menu.

I think it depends on where you're sitting. Quality isn't the same across the dining room on the bigger ships in my opinion. Also found it depends on if the waiter is on or not, if lackadaisical and slow, food suffers. The waiters that hustle get the food out fresh and at its best.

We've had anywhere from inedible to Denny's to Five star on RCCL. Legend and Voyager = amazing. Freedom = embarrassingly bad. Navigator = some good, some bad. Disney = great other than dessert, which is why they have Mickey Bars. :O)

Edited by jsoenning

It went like this scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream......... you get it I'm sure. I'm not exaggerating when I say it continued non stop for 15 minutes. We couldn't get far enough away.

This was a laugh for me! I have boys as well and often lament they don't talk to me hardly at all and secretly wish for some girl time........... then I'm around some seriously chatty/screaming girls and decide it was good I had boys.............:)

Really enjoying your review so far .. it sounds like quite an ordeal u had to endure for ur first night !

I appreciate the honesty u are being chided for here .. we know that the RC cheerleaders on here will go for anyones throat who dare criticize "their" line .. especially Oasis or Allure .. so I see how this took a bit of courage ... keep it coming !

My only question is: why the smarmy voice when saying this? U confused me a little on this one! ;)

The smarmy voice was because I was jealous that they had a nice relaxing experience on a comfortable airline. I didn't really begrudge them. I was just pretending to be a sore head. ;)

Our luggage and 150 other bags had gotten stuck on a conveyor belt at DFW. Spirit Air customer service was waiting for us in the office in Ft. Lauderdale with a list of passengers whose bags didn't arrive. They told us not to worry because the bags would be on the 9:30 am flight and they would bring them to our hotel. I was pissed because they didn't tell me before the flight left.

We had this same experience out of DFW on American Airlines, flying in on the first day of the cruise. We got our bags on time -- just barely.

I see these comments whenever someone says the food was not great. Why should I have my expectation of good food adjusted down so I won't be disappointed? If the food is not good as shared by OP then it's not great period for them. No one should have to go into the cruise expecting bad food. Let the OP share "their" thoughts without reproach.

Day 1 and then I have to close for the day.

Embarkation was very easy. I cruise out of Galveston at least once a year and it's the most inefficient port in my experience. The porters were at the curb to get our bags off the dump motels most excellent free shuttle. We are gold members because it was our second RCL cruise so we were able to go to the express line. There were only about 6 families ahead of us. The other line looked like it might take about 20 minutes. That's not bad considering I've waited over an hour at other ports. We were at the desk with our Sea Pass (pronounced seepus) cards in less than 10 minutes.

Our friends had just finished checking in and were waiting for us just past the check in counter. We had our traditional embarkation photo taken and we were on board. We felt much better.

We were told the Windjammer was very crowded and we were directed to the Solarium lounge. It wasn't crowded at all. It had a decent selection. It was typical cruise buffet food. It was around 12:45 and we were very hungry at this point after a stressful morning. We ate it like it was good and soaked up the atmosphere. I was still traumatized from the dump hotel but I was starting to feel better. :)

The solarium area is my favorite part of the ship. It's not as crowded and it feels like a fancy hotel to me. We ate breakfast and lounged around there on another day. It's always very clean. The whole ship is very clean. I think it's because there are plenty of garbage cans. I've been on ships that you couldn't find a garbage can. There was also a very large custodial staff. One guy from Macedonia stopped to chat with us one morning. He told us how much he hated his job. We sympathized with him and laughed about it when he left.

They opened the rooms at 1:30. I think we received the infamous bags before the muster drill. The muster drill was a video in a dining room and very easy. Total time was about 15 minutes. My last muster drill on RCL was out on the deck and I was standing directly under the speaker and a very tall shipmates armpit as the instructions were given in 3 languages. My brain was rattling around inside my skull. I realize it's important. I just prefer the video.

We spent the rest of the day exploring. We had dinner in the MDR and that was problematic. We had reservations for the Aqua show at 9:00. We were told in the Solarium by the restaurant staff at lunch that we wouldn't need to make dinner reservation if we ate at 6 o'clock. That wasn't true. My recommendation is to make a dinner reservation if you have show reservations. We waited 45 minutes for a table for 6. There was a line for people with reservations and a line for the rest of us poor suckers. The reservations were seated first of course. Once we were seated it was typical cruise dining speed. We opted to skip dessert because I really wanted to see that show. You would think I would learn my lesson because the next time we went to the MDR it happened again. I'm a slow learner. I don't even remember what I ate. I think it was dry chicken. I don't see the point in reservations for my time dining. Don't call it my time dining if you need a reservation. Norwegian has the market in this area. You just show up and eat dinner.

The Aqua show was the bomb. They were amazing athletes. The stage raises and lowers underwater. It gives the illusion that they are dancing on water and you think the diver is diving into shallow water. The shows were my favorite part of the cruise. I have noticed that the entertainment is improving on most cruise ships. RCL definitely invests in this area. I was very entertained and I quickly forgot about the dining experience. I don't care about the food anyway. I just didn't want to miss the show.

We spent time on our balcony and then went to bed. I didn't sleep as well as I wanted the first few nights but it was definitely better than the dump and I rarely heard a sound at night. The next day we asked our most excellent cabin steward to put an egg crate on the bed. She was awesome.

Tomorrow is Nassau. I promise I have pictures and I think I've figured out this embedding business. :cool:

We had this same experience out of DFW on American Airlines, flying in on the first day of the cruise. We got our bags on time -- just barely.

I don't even want to think about how bad I would have freaked out. The nail technician in the spa said it is not unusual for guests to receive their bags at the first port of call.

I see these comments whenever someone says the food was not great. Why should I have my expectation of good food adjusted down so I won't be disappointed? If the food is not good as shared by OP then it's not great period for them. No one should have to go into the cruise expecting bad food. Let the OP share "their" thoughts without reproach.

I've cruised enough to know the food probably won't be good. I'm not sure I've ever eaten at a 5 star restaurant. One of my sons says the food starts out good and gets worse each day because they are unstacking the boxes. :D