Caribbean Princess - surely someone has something positive to say!

Jo and Rob

We sail Caribbean Princess in August and have been reading member reviews of the ship. Oh my word! People are not happy. :eek:

It can't really be all bad can it? Please, please can I have some positive information?

I sure hope it is just people whinging about nothing too bad. We have two roll calls (the two cruises after yours I would think) full of people expecting good things of this ship, many of them repeat crusiers on the Caribbean Princess. There are several good threads and live reviews that have been done in the last year.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

It's the company and the atmosphere that make your cruise, I've sailed on cruises where the entertainment was so bad it was good (think Les Dawson playing the piano) and other passengers clapping and singing along with bad karaoke style performances from "professional" entertainers (think Cameron Diaz in My Best Friend Wedding)

Worst performances sometimes create the best memories. I'm on the 2 weeks prior to you, so I'll findout soon enough! :D

We sailed the CB in January and had a great cruise, as usual. Had not been on her in years and she looked almost as good as her inaugural season. We were spoiled because 3 of the previous 4 cruises had been on the Royal or Regal. We missed some of the 'new' features such as the expanded Horizon Court and Atrium, but were just as happy to see some of the old, familiar ones (Skywalker's!). The only glitch we had was spotty internet connectivity in our cabin located extreme aft. But that was solved by cracking our door a little, thanks to reading others' posts on Cruisecritic. The crew at that time didn't seem as enthusiastic as on other ships we have sailed, but we were never mistreated in any way. So did we like it? Yes! - and I'll bet you do too. As a matter of fact, we're doing back-to-back Transatlantic and New England cruises on her in the Fall.

We were on the CB for two weeks in May and had a great cruise. She was clean and well cared for. Food was excellent and I thought the entertainment was excellent, cruise production shows are just that, cruise production shows. My only criticism, the temperture of the ship was a bit to warm especially in the theater, and you do have to get to the theater 20 minutes early to secure a decent seat. I have no doubt you'll have a great time and by the way I love your cruise videos and look forward to your video of the CB.

We were on in April and had a wonderful time. To give you some specifics to look forward to:

I'm not a huge fan of Sabatini's until now. We had a fabulous dinner. I didn't have an entrée but I had their pasta for my dinner with some apps. One of my best meals on a ship ever.

The aft area is great for eating, sunning and just watching the wake. It's mostly shaded in the afternoon so a wonderful place to read or take a nap (we were on a Caribbean cruise so this was a great place to hang).

It never felt crowded. But, in all fairness, we avoided crowded areas.

Anytime dining was a breeze. No lines what-so-ever. We eat between 7:15 and 7:45 and would go to the restaurant that switches over from Traditional to Anytime at 7:15.

Two for one happy hour is great. High energy crowd, plenty of space to sit and chat, lots of waiters taking your orders. Great addition.

Go with an open mind and you will enjoy a great ship with a great layout.

I've found that many people don't do enough research before sailing and have unrealistic expectations and get really mad as a result.

I couldn't agree more! I think you've hit the nail on the head. So many people do little to no research and then come home disappointed. A family member of mine recently went on a cruise that was booked by another family member. One week prior to sailing, she couldn't tell me what line she was sailing, where they were going, or how long they would be gone. All she knew was what city to fly into. Unbelievable!!

We have 2 cruises booked on the Caribbean Princess later this year and early next year. I'm keeping a positive attitude:)

Edited by Paula_MacFan

We were on the same cruise and had a great time. However, good weather, company, fun and food make a great cruise for us.

I am not going to write a full review but will just mention what we thought. We are also back on her on Saturday for the Baltic.

The ship was mainly first timers and almost all Brits which did make for a different cruise than normal.

Captain, what Captain? He did not attend the Captain's Circle events - not any of them and no reason given.

CD was dreadful ..... so laid back he may as well have not been there. Old boy going through the motions...BUT the worst bit was the Great British Sailaway from Gib. They gave out flags but that was it. Just the group playing it's normal stuff. Everyone was so disappointed. We have sailed on the Grand, Emerald and Crown and all have had a proper sailaway. I did raise it with him but he was not interested. I could have organised it so much better :D

Menu some slight changes but still wonderful food and the chocolate additions were lovely.

Staff all great. The International Cafe does have seating issues as not enough. They should scrap Vines have have more seats. On the other ships the bar is not so big so there are more seats. You did have to circle round a bit and then jump in to get a seat but it was not the end of the world and certainly not something that would ruin the cruise.

The shows were OK some good, some brilliant and some not so. Production shows still only 30 mins, used to be 45, which hardly seems worth it but we do not go for the entertainment alone. We were happy to watch.

I liked the fact that they have jugs of iced water and cups on the bar so you do not need to go to Horizon for free drink when on deck.

Staff quick to remove towels from sun beds but looked the other way at kids driving and jumping in pool. Only about 10 kids on board.

I am sure you will have a great time. If you are the picky sort who looks to find fault, then I am sure you will find something to moan about. If you want to have a good holiday then you will. We had a wonderful time.

It is probably my least favourite ship at present. I rate Grand, Emerald, Crown then Caribbean but it would not stop us going on her. Had there been a decent CD and a proper sailaway would think more kindly :)

Edited by G & T for me

Captain, what Captain? He did not attend the Captain's Circle events - not any of them and no reason given.

CD was dreadful ..... so laid back he may as well have not been there. Old boy going through the motions...BUT the worst bit was the Great British Sailaway from Gib. They gave out flags but that was it. Just the group playing it's normal stuff. Everyone was so disappointed. We have sailed on the Grand, Emerald and Crown and all have had a proper sailaway. I did raise it with him but he was not interested. I could have organised it so much better :D

Do you have names for these missing people?

We were on the same cruise and had a great time. However, good weather, company, fun and food make a great cruise for us.

I am not going to write a full review but will just mention what we thought. We are also back on her on Saturday for the Baltic.

The ship was mainly first timers and almost all Brits which did make for a different cruise than normal.

It is probably my least favourite ship at present. I rate Grand, Emerald, Crown then Caribbean but it would not stop us going on her. Had there been a decent CD and a proper sailaway would think more kindly :)

Who were the Captain and CD on board?

Sent from my iPhone

A Captain's place is on the bridge and attending to his duties. The day I let the failure of a Captain to attend a cocktail hour ruin my cruise is the day I will stop cruising. I'll never understand the disappointment that some feel when the Captain doesn't come down to schmooze with them. What a perverse sense of entitlement and twisted sense of priorities.

A Captain's place is on the bridge and attending to his duties. The day I let the failure of a Captain to attend a cocktail hour ruin my cruise is the day I will stop cruising. I'll never understand the disappointment that some feel when the Captain doesn't come down to schmooze with them. What a perverse sense of entitlement and twisted sense of priorities.

I went to a top-40 most travelled passenger party on Coral a few years ago.

Princess bills this as an opportunity to chat with senior officers and department

heads, so I don't think it is over the top to expect the captain, and I have seen

him at most (all?) of these events that I have attended.

On Coral, we all waited about 1/2 hour for him to arrive (late).

Then we were allowed to file in, and have our picture taken with him.

After the picture taking, he came in, chatted with a single couple for

30 minutes and then left.

I think it would have been a better experience if he had simply not shown

up, with some job-responsibility excuse.

Contrast with someone like Mike Moulin who would chat with everyone,

and usually have to be reminded to leave by the CC host because something

else was scheduled for the room.

I'm pretty sure that by the time someone gets to rank of captain (of cruise ships)

he knows there are social aspects to the job. If these do not appeal to him,

he should stick to driving containers.

Edited by pablo222

I went to a top-40 most travelled passenger party on Coral a few years ago.

Princess bills this as an opportunity to chat with senior officers and department

heads, so I don't think it is over the top to expect the captain, and I have seen

him at most (all?) of these events that I have attended.

On Coral, we all waited about 1/2 hour for him to arrive (late).

Then we were allowed to file in, and have our picture taken with him.

After the picture taking, he came in, chatted with a single couple for

30 minutes and then left.

I think it would have been a better experience if he had simply not shown

up, with some job-responsibility excuse.

Contrast with someone like Mike Moulin who would chat with everyone,

and usually have to be reminded to leave by the CC host because something

else was scheduled for the room.

I'm pretty sure that by the time someone gets to rank of captain (of cruise ships)

he knows there are social aspects to the job. If these do not appeal to him,

he should stick to driving containers.

Nonsense. Should commercial airline pilots stick to flying cargo jets if they fail to engage passengers? That is not why they are on the plane. While it may be nice to have a Captain who is social, (and let's face it...they are only social to the most traveled passengers. It is not as if 3,000 people get face time with him), it is not a job requirement. Had the Captain attended your special gathering of 40 people and poured drinks and made balloon animals, would that have made a whit of difference to the other 2960 guests?

Edited by JimmyVWine

Nonsense. Should commercial airline pilots stick to flying cargo jets if they fail to engage passengers? That is not why they are on the plane. While it may be nice to have a Captain who is social, (and let's face it...they are only social to the most traveled passengers. It is not as if 3,000 people get face time with him), it is not a job requirement. Had the Captain attended your special gathering of 40 people and poured drinks and made balloon animals, would that have made a whit of difference to the other 2960 guests?

Are you hangry?

Are you hangry?

Of course not. I don't get emotional over such mundane things. I just think saying: "My cruise was substandard because the Captain didn't come out to play with us" is like saying: "My flight was awful because the pilot stayed in the cockpit the whole time and didn't point out which Great Lake was which."

The Captain's job is to ensure that the ship, passengers and crew are safe during their voyage. (That is, as they say, a full stop!)

Beyond that it is really just gravy. Seriously, I have never understood the fascination with the Captain being social. Safe navigation and effective administration of the daily operation of the ship and crew is more important. It is the Cruise Directors job to be your host and social butterfly.

In some ways, cruise lines are a victim of their own success. The officers and crew do such a good job of making a complex and challenging job look easy that many people completely forget the myriad of engineering, navigational and seamanship tasks being performed in the background that make cruising the great vacation that it is.