Cabins now ready on embarkation

Our next cruise is departing from Mayflower terminal.

This is one of my favourites. You zigzag to the check desk, go through security and then sit in a departure lounge till called.

Although the last time from here we didn't arrive till late on so we had our choice of check in desks and waltzed straight through security, no waiting in the lounge but straight on to the ship.

We weren't quite the last to board a coach pulled up just after us.

You do know that it is all change at Mayflower now and it is more like Ocean. You walk up to the big room and sit then you are called to check in. The best part of the change for me is that they have put in a bigger lift. I need if with my Mobility scooter.

You do know that it is all change at Mayflower now and it is more like Ocean. You walk up to the big room and sit then you are called to check in. The best part of the change for me is that they have put in a bigger lift. I need if with my Mobility scooter.

Oh well.

I suppose it means they can now use it for the bigger cruise ships. Good news about the lift for you.

Well that's what I thought would happen. That way if you arrive at silly 0'clock like 11.30, you don't get to board the ship until they say so. We arrived at City last time at 1.30, nobody at all in the check in area. Walked straight to security and onto the ship. Far less hassle.

Oh well.

I suppose it means they can now use it for the bigger cruise ships. Good news about the lift for you.

It means they can have Britannia at Ocean and Azura/Ventura on Mayflower. At least they have given it some thought.

I said I'd feed back about Britannia embarkation so here goes: we arrived at the terminal at about 11 parked and got a 'C' card. I think we waited about an hour before check-in opened for non-priority. As we were 'C' we were one of the first to be called by which time the lounge was full. By the time we got through security and sat down on-board it was 12.30 and we have been told cabins will be ready at 1pm. I didn't get an email about arrival times and there are tour groups on board. My check-in time was 2pm. I am posting this in the interest of knowledge share, we are all free to decide what we do about check-in times unless forced to do otherwise; so if you disagree with the fact I chose to check-in early please don't bother telling me so because I don't care ([emoji12])

I think the higher the deck you are, the earlier you can board, that certainly seemed to be the case on Britannia two weeks ago. For the first time ever, our cases got to the cabin before us. We were on A deck and had 13:00, mind you it was 14:45 before we got to the cabin. They also have to feed in the coaches, some of whom parked up 10 miles from port in line with their instructions.

I think I would agree with you. We are on F deck for B515 and have a boarding time of 16:00. As I have said before this isn't a problem for us so we will turn up between 15:00 and 16:00 and hopefully not have to wait. :D

Anybody who fancies a suite should try RCI, they are loads cheaper than P&O!!!

Peter and Jenny

I understand why people want to get on as early as they can, it's juts not what we enjoy, having tried it a couple of times and had a long time waiting around.

I also understand why not everyone wants to hang around on board. For us it's linked to the reasons for not getting on early, we like to avoid the rush and crush! Getting off late means there's generally less of a wait for a taxi, fewer bags left waiting to be collected, and one more chance to say goodbye to our favourite areas of the ship.

Thank goodness we are all different!

So if you get off late, what do you do with all your hand luggage - walk around with it? As for arriving at 11 and waiting for an hour. Why not arrive at 12.30 and not wait at all?

Because there will be a queue of people in front of you who got there first so you'll still have to wait until they get checked in I would expect.

So if you get off late, what do you do with all your hand luggage - walk around with it? As for arriving at 11 and waiting for an hour. Why not arrive at 12.30 and not wait at all?

Absolutely, our hand luggage is very light, and only contains the absolute minimum that we need for one night. Mind you, I suppose we don't get off that late, about 0915 to 0930 normally.

I have tried P&O several times and just got off (Saturday) Anthem of the seas which had 4508 passengers on it and I have to say Royal Caribbean have getting on and off down to a fine art. I thought I could share their process.

They let you pick what time you want to get on and off the ship as part of filling out your online details, we chose 11:15-11:45 on and 09:30 for off. You also provide a photo for them. Once a time is full the slots change, first come first served. There appeared to be no priority boarding as there was no need for it.

When we got to the City terminal at 11:30, our luggage was tagged roadside and we headed to embarkation. We were sent straight over to a lady standing (there were about a dozen mingling/waiting) with an iPad who scanned our passports and asked if we had any nasty infections, we said no and were off to security in a jiffy. Through security(there was no seating before security) and on the other side was a huge waiting area, easily the size of the Ocean terminal. No need to sit though we just went straight on the ship, all done in ten minutes flat. Rooms were not ready until 1pm but we were prepared for that.

Getting off was just as easy (previously booked) and we were allowed to stay in the rooms until we were getting off, the stateroom TV (as well as the others around the ship) tells you when your number had been called. You could also stay on the ship for the afternoon for another $35 if you wanted to getting off just before muster was called.

I was very impressed, this was my 20th cruise and by far the easiest getting on and off. Just goes to show it can be done.

I said I'd feed back about Britannia embarkation so here goes: we arrived at the terminal at about 11 parked and got a 'C' card. I think we waited about an hour before check-in opened for non-priority. As we were 'C' we were one of the first to be called by which time the lounge was full. By the time we got through security and sat down on-board it was 12.30 and we have been told cabins will be ready at 1pm. I didn't get an email about arrival times and there are tour groups on board. My check-in time was 2pm. I am posting this in the interest of knowledge share, we are all free to decide what we do about check-in times unless forced to do otherwise; so if you disagree with the fact I chose to check-in early please don't bother telling me so because I don't care ([emoji12])

Aha just exactly as I have been saying. I am alright jack and got on reasonably quick. I dont care if it was your time slot and you have to wait...:confused: As I pointed out earlier, extrmely selfish. Nice people to be cruising with. Yes people are free to decided when they want to checkin but your post says it all really.

What happens if you didnt get on at a time that was 'reaqsonable' for you and you had a long wait as others had done what youve done ? I can just hear the moans and groans and people looking for 'extras' as a result of the delay in getting on. :D

Originally Posted by Florry View Post

I said I'd feed back about Britannia embarkation so here goes: we arrived at the terminal at about 11 parked and got a 'C' card. I think we waited about an hour before check-in opened for non-priority. As we were 'C' we were one of the first to be called by which time the lounge was full. By the time we got through security and sat down on-board it was 12.30 and we have been told cabins will be ready at 1pm. I didn't get an email about arrival times and there are tour groups on board. My check-in time was 2pm. I am posting this in the interest of knowledge share, we are all free to decide what we do about check-in times unless forced to do otherwise; so if you disagree with the fact I chose to check-in early please don't bother telling me so because I don't care ()

The last 3 words say it all. And are I fear quite typical about many things,

Edited by chrisg1uk

But airport terminals are massive and in use every day of the year for multiple flights. Southampton has nothing like that and given that none of the terminals are anyway nearly used every day building one, (and more than one would be needed for when two big ships or more were in port) would be a commercial disaster.

A sledge hammer to crack a nut. There are sensible ways to solve the problem and earlier disembarkation would seem to be the way to go.

David.

I was thinking that you could divide the current area into two; not build a new terminal. Similar to airports you have a general public side and a security checked people side. Currently people are arriving at 10.30 to noon (when check in and boarding starts) and sitting there. I would not arrive this early as you end up waiting longer than necessary. On the other hand if those early birds were checked in and processed through security they could then continue waiting until the ship permitted boarding they just need segregating. Either way they wait this side or that side of security as appropriate using the same space which is there now. At noon loads of the people would be other side of the divide meaning new arrivals are now quicker to be checked in as there are fewer ahead of them needing to be checked in. You only need a rudimentary tea bar or whatever for people who have got through. The waiting time for being processed will dramatically be reduced (as the queue is being processed continuously over a longer period with fewer in it at any one time) and if you do not wish to wait very long to actually board the ship; turning up later is going to be the best plan as under this type of system many have turned up extra early to simply sit other side of the divide however late comers will be processed sooner as fewer ahead of them queueing to check in and when late comers get through security boarding will be sooner or have already been permitted by the captain and those people might be able to get on immediately therefore.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I've read all of this with interest and whilst I completely understand people wanting to board as soon as they can. I find people's attitude about times extremely bizarre and rather selfish.

What makes my situation any different to yours say because you have children means your 'entitled' to board as soon as you arrive as opposed to your allocated time. That's just one example by the way. I've got a 2 year old so I can't hang around waiting but you can as you don't have a child. :confused:

I get all the leaving early etc in relation to traffic etc but to just deliberately turn up hours beforehand is selfish and like I said how do P and O decide who deserves to get on first as we all can't get on at the same time if we all choose to ignore the times they're advising. If everyone with kids say, turn up at the same time (all outwith allocated times), who gets preferential treatment? Me, you? If you and your kids are made to wait till last say. Yes kids are going to be extremely fraught but whose fault is that? Certainly not P and O!

I think P and O do a sterling job of at both ends and will never please everyone but for many on this thread it's coming across extremely selfish and as long as I'm alright jack, I don't care if I've nicked your time for getting on.

Ok so this comment was aimed directly at me.

Let me clarify some points. You say you get the idea of leaving early in relation to traffic but then say I'm selfish for deliberately turning up early. Where did I say I deliberately turn up early? I said I build in contingency time depending on the circumstances if that gets us there early (quite often it doesn't) then yes I go to the terminal as it is more messing trying to find something to do. If by some stroke of magic someone could say to me that you board at 3 and I guarantee that the journey will be exactly 4 hours I would leave at 11 and arrive on time. That's never going to happen. Have you travelled south on the M6?

In relation to your point about if we both ignored our times then who would get on first then yes I would say me as I have a 2 year old and you (I presume) don't have children. I also have a 7 year old however if we only had the 7 year old I would be happy to wait and let them choose who boards first as she can sit with us and is easily entertained. A 2 year old funnily enough doesn't understand that she has to sit there and be quiet.

Before we had children I would be happy for families with children and any elderly passengers board before we did. Yes we wanted to get on the ship but understand there are people who needed a little help. Also I don't necessarily just want to board because our 2 year old will be hard work keeping her happy in effectively a big hall with nothing in to entertain her. But I also consider other passengers who don't want a 2 year old running round messing about. Many people understand and are friendly but believe me some people look at you like you shouldn't have children. Don't forget we have just spent a minimum of 4 hours in the car too. It certainly tests their patience. Coincidentally if you read an earlier thread about the children's club on Britannia a lady said that if you have a 2 year old that you get priority boarding when they see you in the terminal, this happened to us last year when we got there we were directed straight to the check in and on the ship however we turned up quite late as the traffic was bad. So you see I'm not being selfish and no it's not P & O's fault we have children.

That brings me nicely onto my next point. Whilst we are going on about what is and isn't fair do you think I should pay 90% of the adult fare for my 2 children? Will my 2 year old eat as much as a 16 year old who is the same price? I would bet that we spend more on ice creams and drinks as well as a 16 year old would. This year it has worked out slightly cheaper to get 2 cabins than one 4 berth with the onboard credit. So if I pay double the price of you if we have the same cabin should I board before you?

I don't think that's right either but I don't moan as I have a choice but we like what we get albeit quite expensive. The prices should be banded like that of the kids club groups but why change it if it works for P & O?

I'm far from selfish and 'I'm alright jack', quite the opposite but I try to cause minimal disruption for me and fellow passengers when we board. Coincidentally we got our E tickets today for our upcoming cruise and we are given a boarding time of 3pm. We are staying the night before in a hotel 15 minutes from the port and are being asked to leave at 12pm so I called P & O today and asked if I could possibly have an earlier boarding time as we will be at the terminal early. She said just turn up when you need to as the time on the ticket is a guide to try and stagger the times people arrive. It's not a problem she said and won't have to wait that long should we turn up early!

Finally judging by your attitude to children I hope I never share a cruise with you one day and have to abandon ship. Judging by your views on children and boarding it would be interesting to see your views on evacuation if someone has children!

Ha ha, 9.15? That's normal. We are going to try self-disembarkation on our next one. There are three of us and we only have one wheeled suitcase each and one hand luggage.

Did self-disembarkation this morning.

Wandered up to breakfast at 7.15, back to the cabin at 8, walked to the gangplank past a long line of people queuing with hand luggage.

Walking through the terminal saw two other people.

Nobody else at the cab rank and a taxi waiting.

Cabin to taxi, five minutes.

Did self-disembarkation this morning.

Wandered up to breakfast at 7.15, back to the cabin at 8, walked to the gangplank past a long line of people queuing with hand luggage.

Walking through the terminal saw two other people.

Nobody else at the cab rank and a taxi waiting.

Cabin to taxi, five minutes.

Sounds good!

Out of interest - did they give you a time period for self disembarkation? I thought they normally stopped it at a certain time, usually around 8 ish, after which you have to "join the masses". Think this is because they don't want people with large amounts of luggage getting in the way? Presumably the long queue hadn't started off?

Just asking!

Frankly they didn't have much of a clue.

The paperwork only mentioned the start time of 07:15. However when I spoke to reception they said that self-disembarkation stopped at 07:45 and restarted at 9, as the gangplank would be used to offload bags between that time. Clearly that was nonsense, as they do not use the gangplank at Southampton to offload bags, and as I walked through the baggage area you could see the cages of cases being unloaded from the cargo areas.

A brief word with the reception manager confirmed that there would be no issue with self-disembarkation at 08:15, my original planned time.

So there may be a restriction, but as with many things P&O, nobody seems to know what they are, and even if they do, nobody enforces them.

Edited by insanemagnet

Still don't see what all this diatribe has got to do with time of arrival? Whatever time you arrive you have the same problem.

Diatribe? Really?

My post was in reply to somebody who called me 'selfish and I'm alright Jack'.

I was trying to explain why we turn up early (although not always) and my situation. Although I don't have to explain my actions to anyone.

The post was basically attacking my earlier post about having children and me arriving early.

It's a topic not everyone will agree on and I thought the point of a forum was that of discussing matters and viewpoints.

Clearly I will keep my 'diatribe' to myself in future.