Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

There is no word yet on the 8 passengers. Praying for a Miracle. The ship is still there and will skip BC. Not sure how they will do that because it's the foreign port.

I think skipping BC was allowed because of the unusual situation. My first cruise detoured to Key West when Nassau closed (thanks Sandy) and wasn't required, despite the PVSA, to visit a foreign port.

I think skipping BC was allowed because of the unusual situation. My first cruise detoured to Key West when Nassau closed (thanks Sandy) and wasn't required, despite the PVSA, to visit a foreign port.

I think I read they were making the stop there, but just for service and would not be there for a full port of call?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I read they were making the stop there, but just for service and would not be there for a full port of call?

That makes sense. So long as there's an exchange of paperwork, that satisfies the foreign port stop requirement.

I've been on at least two cruises where that happened.

I am so upset for everyone affected by this tragedy. Prayers for all involved.

My question is this - my hubby and teen son are getting on the Westerdam tomorrow in Seattle and are scheduled for this exact tour, same time, NEXT Thursday. They do not want to cancel but I am wondering if Holland America or the tour operator will cancel (this would be my wish).

I absolutely don't want to take the focus off of the surviving families - I've just been awake all night praying for them and wondering what we should do.:confused:

I am so upset for everyone affected by this tragedy. Prayers for all involved.

My question is this - my hubby and teen son are getting on the Westerdam tomorrow in Seattle and are scheduled for this exact tour, same time, NEXT Thursday. They do not want to cancel but I am wondering if Holland America or the tour operator will cancel (this would be my wish).

I absolutely don't want to take the focus off of the surviving families - I've just been awake all night praying for them and wondering what we should do.:confused:

I understand you are not taking focus off the family, but to answer your question I doubt that the excursions will happen next week. I suspect that all of the Float plane Excursions will be halted at least for a few weeks while the investigation is going on.

We have no idea at this time what caused this accident, the conditions DURING the accident or anything of the sort. It is wrong to the deceased to declare anything like this at this time.

Yes, let's not make speculations.

An engine might have flamed out. The pilot might have suffered a heart attack. A passenger might have overtaken the pilot and crashed the plane on purpose. A quick downdraft might've sent the plane into the mountain face. We do not know.

Please don't make speculations, especially without sufficient facts. For instance, piston engines can't "flame out".

I live in Ketchikan and arrived home yesterday afternoon from vacation to learn of the crash. The search efforts actually delayed our arrival slightly. Our pilot explained there was a missing plane. When we landed it was rainy and windy, fairly typical actually, and I'd heard it had been not that great all day. I know through previous experience that tours will still leave in rainy weather in town because it can be completely different in the Mistys. I can say that many people who live here are very saddened by this news. We're a small community and news like this hits hard. I know some of the people involved with the recovery effort and it sounds like it's going to be a challenging job. Here's a fairly good article, goes into a bit more detail about the crash site: http://www.adn.com/article/20150625/nine-dead-southeast-alaska-floatplane-crash

Thank you for posting. as you can read, this is touching everyone that has visited Alaska. Folks from across the globe are sending thoughts and prayers your way at this time. If you know the family of the pilot, please pass our prayers on to them. We will keep following the news.

I can't even imagine doing this Float Plane excursion after this, much less so quickly before an official cause of the crash is known, even if the excursion should be resumed. It could take months for the official investigation to be finished by the NTSB.

Am I the only one who feels bad for Promech Air's staff? Not just the dead pilot, but everyone who works for the company. I am not seeing any grief for them or their families.

My mom is glad she chose Seawind Aviation for our Misty Fjords floatplane tour this summer. Can you imagine how many people are going to cancel flights with Promech Air because of the crash? Obviously money is nothing compared to life but PA is going to be affected financially for years because of how they lost nine people.

I really hope this does not cross my mind before or during my SA flight. So sad.

Yes, let's not make speculations.

Please don't make speculations, especially without sufficient facts. For instance, piston engines can't "flame out".

I agree we don't need to speculate at this point. But to set the record straight. but the mishap aircraft was a DHC-3-T Turbo-Otte as was likely fitted with either Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27 or Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-34 turboprop engine.

Piston engines don't flame out.

Turboprop engines are turbine engines and can flame out.

I can't even imagine doing this Float Plane excursion after this' date=' much less so quickly before an official cause of the crash is known, even if the excursion should be resumed. It could take months for the official investigation to be finished by the NTSB.[/quote']

We decided years ago to do this excursion on our silver wedding anniversary day and looked forward to doing it in a few days. Cancelled as soon as we heard the news.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

I don't mean to sound glib, but I will not do any kind of flying excursion while on vacation simply because of the mishaps in Alaska. Condolences to the victim's families.

The discussions of how and why are to lessen the chances of this happening again. There have already been a couple informative posts about how bad these sightseeing flights can be in poor weather conditions.

Potential customers of these flights have a right to be better informed about what they are signing up for, and until now nobody was saying much about the subject. Now is the time to discuss the subject.

igraf

Could we please leave any discussion related to "how", "why", "fault" out of this thread and keep it dedicated to expressions of grief for the people involved and their loved ones.

Thank you.

How terrible. I am so sorry for this accident. The weather in Alaska can change in an instant. When my daughter was flying out of Haines (not float planes) there were two accidents. One was a plane full of tourists, flown by a friend of hers and her boyfriend, and the second was her boyfriend, with just one passenger. I was so relieved when she changed to air traffic control! This brings it all back.

Edited by Vict0riann