Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

I just read this on Facebook. I read the whole report which is rare for me (because of time) and saw HAL and then Westerdam. I came here hoping it wasn't true. Devastating. My heart breaks for all families involved.

The Westerdam was scheduled to depart Ketchikan at 1:00 but stayed overnight.

I just can't imagine.

The Today show on NBC just broadcast a report including video depicting such an aircraft crashing into side of cliff in the fog. Reported all 9 were dead, with statements from HAL and owner of the excursion operator. Three members of the NTSB are due to arrive today and begin the investigation.

Very, very sad. We're recalling 1985 Alaska cruise when with two friends we were aboard a flightseeing float plane and strapped in ready to take off, but pilot cancelled due to fog.

Edit - KrazyK, we were typing at same time.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Very, very sad. We had booked a floatplane on our 2007 cruise, but after two incidents that summer we canceled, thinking there could be a systemic probably.

We cruised Alaska again last September. We did the Misty Fjords floatplane and had a great time. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

We did this excursion in 2007 right before the incidents. It was beautiful and amazing, smooth flight. Our pilot came to Alaska every year for the season and was in Maine the rest of the year flying people for hunting and fishing. Prayers for the families of all the victims and thoughts for everyone else on the Westerdam.

My sympathies to all but it sounds like there were some families where some people were on the plane and others were not. I can imagine few things as gruesome as that. A special prayer for those survivors.

Roy

I was on this same tour just over a year ago and we were very fortunate to have a beautiful, clear day (unusual for Ketchikan) and the scenery was fantastic.

We had tried to do this tour several years back and were cancelled at the last minute due to the weather. Then, in 2013 we had another flightseeing tour (Salmon Bake) canceled as well - same reason. So, they do halt flights when the weather is bad. I am guessing that the weather must have changed suddenly on the pilot, or they would never have gone up. I have been on hundreds of very small plane flights (even in the Grand Canyon) and to be sure the weather is a big issue for them.

After this, I think my small plane flying days are done, unless I can be totally assured that weather will not be an issue. This is one negative to booking an excursion ahead of time - you never know how the day will be.

Sorry to read about this incident, I pray for the entire human race every day. We were very fortunate this May to have had no rain or clouds on our Alaska cruise. My wife was scared by the railroad trip we took on the White Pass RR, said she never wants to do that again. Looks like we will be returning to Alaska in the next few seasons, but she has already ruled out any flightseeing.

Such terribly sad news. We took that tour when we were in Alaska and were able to land in the water , get out, and walk on the side of the plane. It was so very quiet and peaceful.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who died in this terrible accident.

I was on this same tour just over a year ago and we were very fortunate to have a beautiful, clear day (unusual for Ketchikan) and the scenery was fantastic.

We had tried to do this tour several years back and were cancelled at the last minute due to the weather. Then, in 2013 we had another flightseeing tour (Salmon Bake) canceled as well - same reason. So, they do halt flights when the weather is bad. I am guessing that the weather must have changed suddenly on the pilot, or they would never have gone up. I have been on hundreds of very small plane flights (even in the Grand Canyon) and to be sure the weather is a big issue for them.

After this, I think my small plane flying days are done, unless I can be totally assured that weather will not be an issue. This is one negative to booking an excursion ahead of time - you never know how the day will be.

I too was wondering what the weather at takeoff was and what the immediate forecast looked like. According to a map I just saw in a news article the crash site was only 20 miles from Ketchikan so the weather must not have been great to begin with, though I understand weather can change quickly, but that quickly? Tragic for the families.

. One could hope that some good might come out of this tragedy, such as stricter pre-flight weather standards if that proves to be the cause.

Why on earth would anyone suggest this? You do not need more regulation for an accident that has happened four times since 2007!