Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

No survivors. Nine dead. Rescue workers called off mountain due to weather. Ship delayed in Ketchikan. Prayer for family and all on Westerdam. And town of Ketchikan.

Thank you for mentioning Ketchikan. I've been thinking about the shock this has to be and the pain the people of this lovely community are suffering. It has to be devastating to them.

This brings back bad memories. Was in the Coast Guard when another Otter Aircraft went down in Taku Inlet, near Juneau. Helped rescue survivors and recover the victims.

Some days later.

Anyone remember the SS Universe?

Just Terrible. Again.

Hi sure do remember the univerese. My sister in law had a band and played on her every year. My brothers were abourd the Universe when the plane crashed it was a horrible accident. I sailed on her s year later then she went out of business after that huge storm. The use to do study at sea. from Pensyvania university

I know that anyone who has ever sailed on the Westerdam, and hears about the nine people who lost their lives yesterday, has sadness and condolences for the families in their hearts. As people who have been on the Westerdam and have reservations to sail on her again, we feel a special relationship to all Westerdam Cruisers. Life can be so fragile - enjoy when you can.

I felt that affinity, too, thinking of the staff and crew that we got to know, and who are still onboard. They must be feeling terribly sad, especially those who were stewards or concierge or dining room servers to those who perished. Also thinking of the town of Ketchikan, and how this must be impacting them. It goes without saying how much we hold the relatives and friends of those who died in our hearts right now. Such a tragedy.

Thank you for mentioning Ketchikan. I've been thinking about the shock this has to be and the pain the people of this lovely community are suffering. It has to be devastating to them.

Sorry,,,, I wrote this before I saw Post #161 by CGMntl (I think that is the posters name).

I also agree about feeling greatly for the crew and those aboard Westerdam. Having sailed that ship three cruises, I feel an attachment and it saddens me the more.

Edited by sail7seas

I have been a pilot for 50 yr, I would never go on a small air plane in Alaska. Also I never go on one anyplace if I'm not the pilot.

I am not a pilot but experienced a year of plane and helicopter based rural health service work.

Was in Ketchikan last week on the Westerdam. There were three other lines in port. Floatplanes took off and landed nonstop. All the lines offer flights, and passesers on tours are relying on terms of contractual agreements we do not review.

Instead I took a hike in a local forest and my DH visited a cafe. We have also visited the wonderful museum in town and once took a boat based tour.

It is not possible to reduce risks of flying in small planes and helicopters to zero.

I agree 100%. The pilot should have cancelled the flight, but was driven by money into a very dangerous situation. Tighter regulations are required for these commercial sightseeing flights. The passengers are not going to enjoy the ride anyway if the weather is that bad!!

I am a private pilot myself.

igraf

Are part of the NTSB investigation of this crash and do you have factual information to share? If not, then condolences and not condemnation is appropriate.

My heart goes out to all involved including the pilot's family as they deal with this tradgedy.

Unless the tour operator cancels and you decide not to go on any excursion no matter what the reason, you lose your money. That is HAL's policy.

If someone else wants to go, such as from a waiting list or a last minute purchase, you will probably be able to get a refund or OBC. It has been several years since we had this situation.

It just takes one look at the photos of Ketchikan that day to see that the weather conditions were not safe for flying low between mountains. Add to that the plane being found at the bottom of a cliff, and yes, I just might jump to a conclusion. Clouds sometimes contain hard objects.

I am not necessarily blaming the pilot as the pilot might have been compelled by the boss/owner to fly.

igraf

Are part of the NTSB investigation of this crash and do you have factual information to share? If not, then condolences and not condemnation is appropriate.

My heart goes out to all involved including the pilot's family as they deal with this tradgedy.

It just takes one look at the photos of Ketchikan that day to see that the weather conditions were not safe for flying low between mountains. Add to that the plane being found at the bottom of a cliff, and yes, I just might jump to a conclusion. Clouds sometimes contain hard objects.

I am not necessarily blaming the pilot as the pilot might have been compelled by the boss/owner to fly.

igraf

Some sensitivity, please Igraf. It is not for us to draw conclusions or start pointing fingers. This thread is about condolences and empathy.

While the weather may have been bad, it is also possible there could have been mechanical problems. Rather than jumping all over a pilot who cannot defend himself why not let the investigation go forward and let those who have the facts advise the cause of this tragedy after they finish the investigation?

I suspect they probably know a whole lot more about this than any of us here.

While the weather may have been bad, it is also possible there could have been mechanical problems. Rather than jumping all over a pilot who cannot defend himself why not let the investigation go forward and let those who have the facts advise the cause of this tragedy after they finish the investigation?

I suspect they probably know a whole lot more about this than any of us here.

I agree. It is also possible that the pilot had a medical event at the worst possible time.

Condolences to everyone involved.

If someone else wants to go, such as from a waiting list or a last minute purchase, you will probably be able to get a refund or OBC. It has been several years since we had this situation.

A couple of times because one of us was not feeling well, we were not able to take a couple of excursions. We talked with the shore excursion desk -- no waiting list for our excursions.

Thus we lost the money.

Condolences to all concerned. Tragic. I believe when the smoke clears, it will be revealed that $$ over safety was the driving factor in this.

To you and igraf, let's remember that the pilot had a family too. Granted they are probably not reading CC right now, but to defame a person on a public forum is most insensitive. Pilots have rules to follow to keep their licenses, and let's remember, they value their lives also.

A post by a local stated that the weather there can change in minutes, and those of us who have been to Alaska know this. The photos shown on the news were several hours after the incident, and the weather may have been more favorable at takeoff.

Let's let the investigators make the judgement call on this, and just feel very saddened by the accident.

We just returned from this cruise several weeks ago and it is unimaginable how the pleasant excitement of a cruise can turn to tragedy.

Our prayers certainly go out to all involved.

I do not think it insensitive to question the weather conditions during the flight.

Clearly it was stated that weather was not conducive to rescue operations.

Indeed if lessons are not learned this is also tragic. Granted we do not know exactly what happened but I believe that we can understand that there is strong influence by cruiselines and excursion suppliers to not cancel excursions

because of revenue loss..

This is the case whether the excursion conditions may simply be uncomfortable for passengers or perhaps actually dangerous.

Perhaps this sad event will allow further examination of this situation.

To you and igraf, let's remember that the pilot had a family too. Granted they are probably not reading CC right now, but to defame a person on a public forum is most insensitive. Pilots have rules to follow to keep their licenses, and let's remember, they value their lives also.

A post by a local stated that the weather there can change in minutes, and those of us who have been to Alaska know this. The photos shown on the news were several hours after the incident, and the weather may have been more favorable at takeoff.

Let's let the investigators make the judgement call on this, and just feel very saddened by the accident.

Well said, pv girl. I wish there was a LIKE button! Speculation and accusations have no place on this forum at this time out of compassion to all affected by this event.

Edited by purduemom1

Just adding condolences, prayers and empathy. Was working with a friend supporting losses all in one church in a town I used to live in from helicopter crash in Hawaii. One reads of rough hair conditions all the time in Alaska...so can not jump to conclusions on how pilots know and do not know when to fly..it is a place that must trust these planes in many livelihood situations.

All small planes and helicopters carry some risk; but when it happens...especially on vacation..it just to me is the saddest...and so very very hard..sincere prayers..many loves lost and lives forever changed..may faith, love and all available to help have the courage to reach out and those hurting courage to receive and just put one foot in front of other......will continue prayers and add this situation to my weekend prayer group, when two or more gathered..it helps..we are many here thank heavens who care....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I felt that affinity, too, thinking of the staff and crew that we got to know, and who are still onboard. They must be feeling terribly sad, especially those who were stewards or concierge or dining room servers to those who perished. Also thinking of the town of Ketchikan, and how this must be impacting them. It goes without saying how much we hold the relatives and friends of those who died in our hearts right now. Such a tragedy.

I wonder, Lizzie, if there will be any counselling offered to the staff? I know it was a one-week cruise, but it's amazing how quickly you make friends with all those lovely people on board. I'm sure they were devastated by the accident.

Our bar steward friend, Leah, (on the Westerdam) called us from Ketchikan before we went to Alaska on the Volendam, and she was planning to visit us here on a Friday. I am hoping now that it will be next week. I will have to ask her if they received counselling, or perhaps the chaplain on board would help with that.

Yes, let's not make speculations.

Please don't make speculations, especially without sufficient facts. For instance, piston engines can't "flame out".

I was of the understanding that it was a turboprop Otter.

I wonder, Lizzie, if there will be any counselling offered to the staff? I know it was a one-week cruise, but it's amazing how quickly you make friends with all those lovely people on board. I'm sure they were devastated by the accident.

Our bar steward friend, Leah, (on the Westerdam) called us from Ketchikan before we went to Alaska on the Volendam, and she was planning to visit us here on a Friday. I am hoping now that it will be next week. I will have to ask her if they received counselling, or perhaps the chaplain on board would help with that.

I do hope so. Having gotten to know so many of them I just know how devastated they will be. I am thinking of some in particular who are very caring in their everyday dealings with passengers. There will definitely need to be a de-briefing, at the very least.

Am I the only one who feels bad for Promech Air's staff? Not just the dead pilot, but everyone who works for the company. I am not seeing any grief for them or their families.

My mom is glad she chose Seawind Aviation for our Misty Fjords floatplane tour this summer. Can you imagine how many people are going to cancel flights with Promech Air because of the crash? Obviously money is nothing compared to life but PA is going to be affected financially for years because of how they lost nine people.

I really hope this does not cross my mind before or during my SA flight. So sad.

FYI Seawind Aviation was involved in a fatal flightseeing crash in 2007 that killed 6 people. They're a small outfit and were up again flying the next summer. Taquan air had the other fatal crash that year and they're also doing fine. I do feel horrible for their staff. The floatplane companies here are like a big family and they take losses like this hard, but financially they will be fine.

What the hell? I am a private pilot - have part ownership in a Cessna - and this is crazy outrageous.

We have no idea at this time what caused this accident, the conditions DURING the accident or anything of the sort. It is wrong to the deceased to declare anything like this at this time.

An engine might have flamed out. The pilot might have suffered a heart attack. A passenger might have overtaken the pilot and crashed the plane on purpose. A quick downdraft might've sent the plane into the mountain face. We do not know. To imply anything is wrong. Flat-out wrong.

I will say one thing on point: These charter companies are regulated FAR more than any private pilot in this country already.

Good input. It is easy to pass blame. You brought us all back to reality. Thank you. Well put.