Power strip taken

Surfguyxxx

Like all other types of "contraband" that takes you to the naughty room to get your luggage, you get it back at the end of the cruise.

That is nice but your reply is not relevant to the post you replied too. A surge protector is not contraband and we are not discussing where they take a surge protector if they take it despite that fact.

Vulcan1971 is simply pointing out, quite correctly, that you get your seized item back at the end of the cruise. BTW, just because an item isn't on the prohibited list does not mean that Celebrity can't prevent you from bringing it on board or using it. You may disagree with their logic, and it may not be good from a customer relations perspective, but the decision is theirs to make.

Given the ubiquitous nature of extension cords, power bars and similar equipment, with or without surge suppressors, since the proliferations of e-devices in their many forms, I agree that Celebrity and other lines should make an attempt to clarify this sometimes murky area. I think that chengkp75 has done a commendable job in explaining the rationale behind the USCG advisory on surge suppressors, but clearly some CC members would a prefer clearer statement of Celebrity's position on the issue.

In the mean time, I'm quite happy to have spent a few dollars on a new power bar without a surge suppressor. As with seat belts and motorcycle helmets, I'm a believer in opting for the safe side.

Edited by Fouremco

Vulcan1971 is simply pointing out, quite correctly, that you get your seized item back at the end of the cruise. BTW, just because an item isn't on the prohibited list does not mean that Celebrity can't prevent you from bringing it on board or using it. You may disagree with their logic, and it may not be good from a customer relations perspective, but the decision is theirs to make.

Given the ubiquitous nature of extension cords, power bars and similar equipment, with or without surge suppressors, since the proliferations of e-devices in their many forms, I agree that Celebrity and other lines should make an attempt to clarify this sometimes murky area. I think that chengkp75 has done a commendable job in explaining the rationale behind the USCG advisory on surge suppressors, but clearly some CC members would a prefer clearer statement of Celebrity's position on the issue.

In the mean time, I'm quite happy to have spent a few dollars on a new power bar without a surge suppressor. As with seat belts and motorcycle helmets, I'm a believer in opting for the safe side.

There is no need to point out that if it is taken that it will be returned. The person who had it confiscated was told that. We also know it was taken even though it was not on the prohibited list.

The crux of the matter is that if it is a safety hazard as explained by chengkp75, then it should be on the prohibited list instead of relying on the crew members who may or may not take it, or on passengers who don't bring one because like you or me, we have read this thread on Cruise Critic and won't bring one despite it not being on the list. Certainly at the moment there are hundreds of passengers who have a surge protectors onboard because they are not on a prohibited list and they have not been taken.

I think it's fair to say that when it comes to updating rules and regulations and banned items on a list that celebrity does not move with an appropriate pace to keep up with the times. However, I don't understand the need for some people on this thread to play "devils advocate" about crew actions.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

I think it's fair to say that when it comes to updating rules and regulations and banned items on a list that celebrity does not move with an appropriate pace to keep up with the times. However, I don't understand the need for some people on this thread to play "devils advocate" about crew actions.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

And certainly because something is not listed as banned does not mean it should be considered automatically allowed. There could be stuff nobody ever thought of as a problem.

Who is playing devils advocate or who do you think is playing devils advocate about crew actions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

On our last Celebrity cruise, my bag with a power squid was in the naughty room. When I protested that it wasn't an extension cord or surge suppressor, the electrician fiddles with it testing it for a minute, then gave us the thumbs up to keep it.

Now, we travel with two Anker 5x USB chargers. More than enough juice to charge 4 iPads, three iPhones, and other toys as well, plus it's so much neater. Another trick I use is rechargeable battery power pack with 2x usb ports. I can charge that during the day, and then keep my iPad and phone by the bed and charge them from the power pack overnight.

And certainly because something is not listed as banned does not mean it should be considered automatically allowed. There could be stuff nobody ever thought of as a problem.

Who is playing devils advocate or who do you think is playing devils advocate about crew actions?

Indeed, but if the cabin attendant was told to take it by a supervisor, do you believe that he needs to argue with his supervisor that he won't take it because it's not in the rules?

I think most employees, especially ones who work for the cruise lines who value their jobs, are inclined to do what their supervisors tell them if it appears to be in the best interests of all.

Yet some suggest they should be punished because the cruise line hasn't listed it in their documentation???

If they confiscated it like they did to the OP who started thread I would take exception because it is not listed as a prohibited item. Tell me not to use and I would put it away and not use it. Don't take it away when it is not prohibited.

If the cabin steward took it, not a ships officer, I would lower their evaluation score and lower my tip if possible. If they come upon something they believe should be confiscated the cabin steward should go to a ships officer, not take it themselves.

Again if surge protecters are unsafe they should be banned and listed as prohibited. It should not be left to passengers or cabin stewards to figure it out.

If you read post #2 in this thread, and follow it to "what not to pack", extension cords are listed as not allowed. In the ticket contract there is this clause that allows them to prohibit any item, without specifically listing therm: "Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of

Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

Given this prohibition, there is nothing to preclude a cabin steward from taking a power strip. The crewmember is acting as a representative of the cruise line. What makes them any different from a "ship's officer", unless you mean a licensed deck or engine officer, who are the only true officers onboard the ship, the rest being uniformed hotel supervisors.

If you read post #2 in this thread, and follow it to "what not to pack", extension cords are listed as not allowed. In the ticket contract there is this clause that allows them to prohibit any item, without specifically listing therm: "Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of

Given this prohibition, there is nothing to preclude a cabin steward from taking a power strip. The crewmember is acting as a representative of the cruise line. What makes them any different from a "ship's officer", unless you mean a licensed deck or engine officer, who are the only true officers onboard the ship, the rest being uniformed hotel supervisors.

A cabin steward is different from a uniformed hotel supervisor. Only a uniformed hotel supervisor, a ships officer, or a security officer should remove passengers belongings from a stateroom. If a cabin steward sees something in a stateroom that they believe should be removed they should inform a supervisor.

A cabin steward is different from a uniformed hotel supervisor. Only a uniformed hotel supervisor, a ships officer, or a security officer should remove passengers belongings from a stateroom. If a cabin steward sees something in a stateroom that they believe should be removed they should inform a supervisor.

That's your viewpoint, but not supported by any documentation, or even any logical basis except preference.

In legal terms, there is no distinction between a dishwasher and a hotel director. They are both employees and representatives of the cruise line. Only licensed deck and engine officers have professional licenses like doctors and lawyers that makes them personally responsible for their actions and the actions of those under their supervision.

If the line's policy is to confiscate something, then unless they specifically prohibit it, any crewmember is able to do so. Now, should they leave a note stating the confiscation and why? Sure.

The ticket contract states that your baggage can be searched at any time, with or without your knowledge or presence.

All crew are instructed to deal with potential safety hazards immediately, not wait until a supervisor can be notified.

In legal terms, there is no distinction between a dishwasher and a hotel director. They are both employees and representatives of the cruise line. Only licensed deck and engine officers have professional licenses like doctors and lawyers that makes them personally responsible for their actions and the actions of those under their supervision.

If the line's policy is to confiscate something, then unless they specifically prohibit it, any crewmember is able to do so. Now, should they leave a note stating the confiscation and why? Sure.

The ticket contract states that your baggage can be searched at any time, with or without your knowledge or presence.

All crew are instructed to deal with potential safety hazards immediately, not wait until a supervisor can be notified.

I don't know what Celebrity's policy is on cabin attendants taking a passengers belongings from a stateroom is and it appears neither do you.

Since power strips and surge protectors are not listed as not to pack or prohibited I would be somewhat peeved if they were removed from the room. We are not talking about removing from baggage prior to arrival in the stateroom. Removal from a room should be done by an officer. And despite your narrow craft prejudice the hotel director and other like officer staff that are designated officers by the cruise line are distinct from a dishwasher or cabin attendant.

My head is spinning with all the advice on what to take and what not to take! I would never contemplate using any device that may be a fire hazard whether its was on any 'naughty list' or not. As you seem to know what you are taking about (!) would you be so kind as to check out the follow link to see if this item would be suitable for use on board? Thanks for all your input and advice so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Version-Letouch-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B00QM9HBQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435931890&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+chargers+multi+port

Wow! What a discussion here. I think I've decided not to pack my Tesla coil for the next cruise.

Here is are examples of the problem of what to pack.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=76

http://blog.shipmateapp.com/cruise-packing-tips-hacks/

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-101/2013/05/02/cruise-packing-clothes/2129645/

Even chengkp75 does not say don't bring a power strip. He says the issue is surge protectors. Whatever, but if cruise lines are going to confiscate items that are on most packing lists and that most passengers who have any travel experience pack, then they should tell passengers not to bring them. While it is convienient to charge four or five items at a time it only takes a few hours to charge items so we can still charge them without the convienience of power outlets if they are not safe. Or we can buy the multiple USB blocks if they are deemed safe.

Rather than rant on "it's not fair/the message is inconsistent/it makes no sense/they are not mentioned/they are not a fire hazard/Celebrity needs to get its act together/they can't do that/I've done it before" perhaps the solution is to simply not pack a power strip.

Rather than rant on "it's not fair/the message is inconsistent/it makes no sense/they are not mentioned/they are not a fire hazard/Celebrity needs to get its act together/they can't do that/I've done it before" perhaps the solution is to simply not pack a power strip.

Okay, then you don't pack one...

Meanwhile most of the ship passengers have packed them and are using them.

It does not matter to me personally packing one or not myself since as I described I have been using the four outlets in the cabin, not any power strip. But if Surge protectors or power strips are unsafe I want Celebrity to tell all passengers not to bring them. It can't be just passengers who read what chengkp75 posts here and are convinced he is knowlegable. Not all reading this thread have even agreed on that. Some said it was ridiculous. I don't wan't unsafe stuff onboard. If it is unsafe then the cruise line should list them as banned because there are hundreds using them this moment on cruise ships.

Edited by Charles4515

Okay, then you don't pack one...

Meanwhile most of the ship passengers have packed them and are using them.

It does not matter to me personally packing one or not myself since as I described I have been using the four outlets in the cabin, not any power strip. But if Surge protectors or power strips are unsafe I want Celebrity to tell all passengers not to bring them. It can't be just passengers who read what chengkp75 posts here and are convinced he is knowlegable. Not all reading this thread have even agreed on that. Some said it was ridiculous. I don't wan't unsafe stuff onboard. If it is unsafe then the cruise line should list them as banned because there are hundreds using them this moment on cruise ships.

When automobile seat belts first made their presence on the North American market, a huge number of people rejected the recommendations for their use, questioned the qualifications of their proponents and dismissed the belts as adding no safety whatsoever. In fact, many argued that seat belts were dangerous and that they would cause more injuries and deaths, not reduce them.

Governments too were slow in recognizing the benefits and initially left it to individuals to decide whether or not the new safety devices should be used. Only when it became readily apparent on the one hand that seat belts did save lives and reduce injuries, and on the other that a large percentage of the population wasn't going to use them unless the requisite legislation was passed, were steps taken to make their use mandatory.

So yes, it would be nice if Celebrity would rewrite its prohibited list to clarify what devices are considered dangerous and to openly ban them, but in the mean time, passengers can make cruise ships just a little bit safer by making a change now.

So yes, it would be nice if Celebrity would rewrite its prohibited list to clarify what devices are considered dangerous and to openly ban them, but in the mean time, passengers can make cruise ships just a little bit safer by making a change now.

It is possible that Celebrity has not rewritten their policy because the devices we are discussing in this thread are not dangerous or there is not sufficient evidence that they are dangerous for Celebrity to ban them. Or perhaps they don't ban them because Celebrity lacks in its safety culture? If you think there is enough doubt about them being safe that you decide not to bring them that is admirable. Your individual action though really only makes you feel better when hundreds are bringing and using these devices onboard.

It is possible that Celebrity has not rewritten their policy because the devices we are discussing in this thread are not dangerous or there is not sufficient evidence that they are dangerous for Celebrity to ban them. Or perhaps they don't ban them because Celebrity lacks in its safety culture? If you think there is enough doubt about them being safe that you decide not to bring them that is admirable. Your individual action though really only makes you feel better when hundreds are bringing and using these devices onboard.

When it comes to safety, there are leaders and followers. I know which respective groups we fit in.

Yes, EXTENSION CORDS are prohibited, and rightfully so, surge protectors are not prohibited. The OP should have had their extension cord confiscated, but not their power strip IF it was a surge protector based on Celebrity's own rules. Surge protectors are not extension cords. They really are 2 different objects, even if the surge protector has a 1 foot cord attached to it. A surge protector is considered an appliance along the lines of a clock. A surge protector is far safer to be plugged into the socket than, say, a man's electric razor.

With that said, I did take a close look at the cord I take with me on my cruises, and it should have been confiscated. While I do have a GFI on it, it’s still considered an extension cord. That’s something I plan on correcting for my next trip by bringing with me that swivel charger that Desertbelle pointed out in her post.

As a further note, the non-surge suppressor outlets and USB ports are cheaper than the surge suppressors. Also note, as a warning for home use, that the circuitry that protects your electronics are known to break down with repeated surges, and will then not protect your equipment. So, if you live where power surges are frequent, you should replace these units regularly. Just google "joule rating of surge suppressors", but hey, I'm just fear mongering.

Thanks for the info, cheng. We have unwittingly used the Belkin model in the past, but will not in the future.

My head is spinning with all the advice on what to take and what not to take! I would never contemplate using any device that may be a fire hazard whether its was on any 'naughty list' or not. As you seem to know what you are taking about (!) would you be so kind as to check out the follow link to see if this item would be suitable for use on board? Thanks for all your input and advice so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Version-Letouch-Charger-Interchangeable/dp/B00QM9HBQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435931890&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+chargers+multi+port

Yes.

Yes.

The USB 4 port for galaxy phone and tablet is fine. The other that you show is not what I have. I have a 3 outlets (American) on one side that uses one outlet. Is U/L listed and worked great. It is 4 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. The ship has 2 American outlets and 2 European outlets. Hope this helps.

Victoria