Power strip taken

Surfguyxxx

I have a strip with no suppression either. But what I have been doing lately is use the European outlets instead of the strip. I was on Summit last week and there were two US outlets and two European outlets. I take two European adapters so that gives me four outlets which is all that I need.

Great idea... for some people.

I too used to take an adapter along, as all of my devices were dual voltage. Then one trip, I took along some piece of kit that wasn't! Of course, I could have plugged it into one of the 110 outlets, but I'd forgotten to check. :eek: Fortunately, it just fried the device's charging plug and not the device itself, but by taking only a power bar now, I don't need to worry about making that mistake again! :o

Great idea... for some people.

I too used to take an adapter along, as all of my devices were dual voltage. Then one trip, I took along some piece of kit that wasn't! Of course, I could have plugged it into one of the 110 outlets, but I'd forgotten to check. :eek: Fortunately, it just fried the device's charging plug and not the device itself, but by taking only a power bar now, I don't need to worry about making that mistake again! :o

Electronics these days are all dual voltage. I always check all my devices. Particularly since I stay sometimes in hotels overseas. That is why I have the Europe adapter. All my electric devices, even my electric toothbrush, a Phillips, is dual voltage. I believe that is why I bought the Phillips. The brand that I used to have did not have a dual voltage charger so I never took the electric toothbrush. Usually it is hair dryers or curling irons that are not dual voltage and I never take those. I don't take steamers or irons since they are prohibited.

Edited by Charles4515

Electronics these days are all dual voltage. I always check all my devices. Particularly since I stay sometimes in hotels overseas. That is why I have the Europe adapter. All my electric devices, even my electric toothbrush, a Phillips, is dual voltage. I believe that is why I bought the Phillips. The brand that I used to have did not have a dual voltage charger so I never took the electric toothbrush. Usually it is hair dryers or curling irons that are not dual voltage and I never take those. I don't take steamers or irons since they are prohibited.

I used to travel to Europe on business several times a year, and in those days I'd carry a transformer and appropriate adapters. Guess I just got complacent and let my guard down with so many dual voltage devices...

Just wanted to share a story. On my recent cruise to Alaska in May, we were on the Infinity. I had brought a power strip with me (along with a regular extension cord). The next morning, the steward in the room informed us that it had been taken and we would get it back at the end of the cruise. Apparently, on their last voyage, someone had a power strip and it caught fire.

I don't know if this is going to be a fleet wide decree but thankfully I had the extra extension cord, which they said was fine!

As I have sleep Apnea, I need an extension cord & distilled water for the humidifier. I never had an issue getting those supplied.

This is what we take on all our cruises and because it doesn't have a power cord attached it seems to be allowed. We love the USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1435697874&sr=8-17&keywords=power+strip

We use this exact product on every cruise and love it. funny thing, on one cruise, they kept unplugging it to vacuum. The room steward finally figured out that it swiveled ....and then left it plugged in. I like having a clock that we both can see at night ....so kept having to reset it until the swivel feature was recognized by Stewart. :D

I used a three prong extender that had no wires just plugged into outlet and I had three outlets. Also had same type of device for my galaxy phones. It plugged into outlet and gave me three msb ports. Did not need anything else. Search amazon, threw out original paperwork so I don't know proper names. Butler did say they were acceptable, I was on the Summit

We use this exact product on every cruise and love it. funny thing, on one cruise, they kept unplugging it to vacuum. The room steward finally figured out that it swiveled ....and then left it plugged in. I like having a clock that we both can see at night ....so kept having to reset it until the swivel feature was recognized by Stewart. :D

That product has a "surge protector" which can do harm to your electronics.

Please read chengkp75's posts and other's explaining the dangers earlier in this thread.

That product has a "surge protector" which can do harm to your electronics.

Please read chengkp75's posts and other's explaining the dangers earlier in this thread.

These posts are ridiculous. There have been 0 reported incidents on passenger cruise ships, period. The coast guard warning documented talked about electrical fires being caused on container ships.

With the volume of cruisers and the proclivities of people on this forum to complain, trust me, if somebody had equipment ruined (other than "I plugged a 110 appliance into a 240 outlet" stories), we would have heard it by now.

The prohibited item on Celebrity, at least, is "Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates". These are things that can cause significant fire risk. If a commercially-available UL listed surge protector could cause problems with the ship's electrical system, we would have heard about it long before now.

Please stop fear-mongering in this thread; it's ridiculous. Surge protectors that are not part of an extension cord are fine and dandy, and that's that.

These posts are ridiculous. There have been 0 reported incidents on passenger cruise ships, period. The coast guard warning documented talked about electrical fires being caused on container ships.

With the volume of cruisers and the proclivities of people on this forum to complain, trust me, if somebody had equipment ruined (other than "I plugged a 110 appliance into a 240 outlet" stories), we would have heard it by now.

The prohibited item on Celebrity, at least, is "Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates". These are things that can cause significant fire risk. If a commercially-available UL listed surge protector could cause problems with the ship's electrical system, we would have heard about it long before now.

Please stop fear-mongering in this thread; it's ridiculous. Surge protectors that are not part of an extension cord are fine and dandy, and that's that.

I totally agree. We own 3 of the Belkin plugs at home and use them daily for several years. Right now I have two computers, a lamp, two phone/ipad chargers plugged in to the one about 3 feet from my head and upstairs I have one with a lamp, a land line phone/message machine, a clock, iphone charger and ipad chargers plugged into it....we have never had an issue with any of our devices.

We have used one of these Belkin plugs on at least 10 cruises without incident.

These little devices are awesome, convenient and inexpensive. Saying it "can" cause damage is a very long ways from it "will" cause damage. I'll go with the odds which seem to be way in the favor of it won't cause damage.

I totally agree. We own 3 of the Belkin plugs at home and use them daily for several years. Right now I have two computers, a lamp, two phone/ipad chargers plugged in to the one about 3 feet from my head and upstairs I have one with a lamp, a land line phone/message machine, a clock, iphone charger and ipad chargers plugged into it....we have never had an issue with any of our devices.

We have used one of these Belkin plugs on at least 10 cruises without incident.

These little devices are awesome, convenient and inexpensive. Saying it "can" cause damage is a very long ways from it "will" cause damage. I'll go with the odds which seem to be way in the favor of it won't cause damage.

I read the Coast Guard Alert. If the ship is wired like homes in the U.S., the WYE configuration, the surge protector would not be a problem. If the ship is wired with the Delta configuration, not sure why they would use that, (possibly because there is no ground to connect ground?) then I see the potential issue. The alert mentioned fires on US container ships that were wired Delta. I don't know how cruise ships are wired. They may not be wired Delta. Or they may have other circuit protection. It may not even be an issue on cruise ships.

I don't see any reason to stop bringing surge protectors or power strips onboard if the the cruise line does not ban them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read the Coast Guard Alert. If the ship is wired like homes in the U.S., the WYE configuration, the surge protector would not be a problem. If the ship is wired with the Delta configuration, not sure why they would use that, (possibly because there is no ground to connect ground?) then I see the potential issue. The alert mentioned fires on US container ships that were wired Delta. I don't know how cruise ships are wired. They may not be wired Delta. Or they may have other circuit protection. It may not even be an issue on cruise ships.

I don't see any reason to stop bringing surge protectors or power strips onboard if the the cruise line does not ban them.

Every ship in the world is wired delta. This is because you do not connect the "ground" wire to "ground" as is done at your home (actually wired to a copper stake driven into the earth). The "ground" on ships is led back separately to the neutral back at the generator. This provides the necessary shock protection, but does not use the ship's hull for the ground path. Passing current through the steel hull when it is in salt water causes electrolysis or wasting away of the steel, so this is why ships don't use the wye connection, and use a "floating" ground (a ground that may be at a different potential than the earth).

To gergles: There is no functional difference in electrical systems on cruise ships compared to other ships. I have spent 40 years as a ship's engineer, on virtually every type of sea-going vessel, including cruise ships. Since you seem to feel that if it hasn't been reported on CC it has never happened, I will ask you to research the number of threads and posts that talk about power strips being confiscated in the past two years, and then look at the number of posts where the cruise line has provided power strips. What is the difference? Surge protectors. Even when working fine, surge protectors will cause false "ground" alarms in the engine room. These ground alarms are taken seriously by the engineers because they can lead to hull corrosion, but also to the stray current that backed up into the computer in the USCG safety alert. I am not fear mongering, I am explaining why you don't need a surge protector, and why the cruise lines are becoming every day more pro-active in not allowing these to be brought onboard. I guess that since you know that there have been no documented cases of fires on cruise ships caused by surge suppressors, that you have access to the databases of all the various flag state and classification societies that oversee the cruise ships of the world. Or are you just using CC as your reference?

To DesertBelle: I never said these would not work at home, they are perfect for use in homes. Home and ship are two different worlds, electrically. If you want to ignore a safety alert from the recognized leader in maritime safety, there is nothing I can do to stop you, but don't complain if in the future these are taken away at boarding.

As a further note, the non-surge suppressor outlets and USB ports are cheaper than the surge suppressors. Also note, as a warning for home use, that the circuitry that protects your electronics are known to break down with repeated surges, and will then not protect your equipment. So, if you live where power surges are frequent, you should replace these units regularly. Just google "joule rating of surge suppressors", but hey, I'm just fear mongering.

Chengkp, you're a font of wisdom on this forum, and I regularly learn something from your posts. I appreciate your explanation.

And just because something happens rarely doesn't mean that it won't happen (otherwise nobody would ever win Lotto!). And of course, no large cruise ship had run aground in recent times... until Concordia did.

Nothing's a certainty either way. But you're decreasing this risk by using a non surge protected power board, so it makes sense to do so.

Every ship in the world is wired delta. This is because you do not connect the "ground" wire to "ground" as is done at your home (actually wired to a copper stake driven into the earth). The "ground" on ships is led back separately to the neutral back at the generator. This provides the necessary shock protection, but does not use the ship's hull for the ground path. Passing current through the steel hull when it is in salt water causes electrolysis or wasting away of the steel, so this is why ships don't use the wye connection, and use a "floating" ground (a ground that may be at a different potential than the earth).

To gergles: There is no functional difference in electrical systems on cruise ships compared to other ships. I have spent 40 years as a ship's engineer, on virtually every type of sea-going vessel, including cruise ships. Since you seem to feel that if it hasn't been reported on CC it has never happened, I will ask you to research the number of threads and posts that talk about power strips being confiscated in the past two years, and then look at the number of posts where the cruise line has provided power strips. What is the difference? Surge protectors. Even when working fine, surge protectors will cause false "ground" alarms in the engine room. These ground alarms are taken seriously by the engineers because they can lead to hull corrosion, but also to the stray current that backed up into the computer in the USCG safety alert. I am not fear mongering, I am explaining why you don't need a surge protector, and why the cruise lines are becoming every day more pro-active in not allowing these to be brought onboard. I guess that since you know that there have been no documented cases of fires on cruise ships caused by surge suppressors, that you have access to the databases of all the various flag state and classification societies that oversee the cruise ships of the world. Or are you just using CC as your reference?

To DesertBelle: I never said these would not work at home, they are perfect for use in homes. Home and ship are two different worlds, electrically. If you want to ignore a safety alert from the recognized leader in maritime safety, there is nothing I can do to stop you, but don't complain if in the future these are taken away at boarding.

As a further note, the non-surge suppressor outlets and USB ports are cheaper than the surge suppressors. Also note, as a warning for home use, that the circuitry that protects your electronics are known to break down with repeated surges, and will then not protect your equipment. So, if you live where power surges are frequent, you should replace these units regularly. Just google "joule rating of surge suppressors", but hey, I'm just fear mongering.

Thank you for your extremely clear explanation. I will still travel with my stand-alone surge protector but will no longer use it on board. [i will continue to use it in pre- and post-cruise hotels.]

Now, does anyone have a solution for UK plugs plus an adaptor continually falling out of both the US-style and European-style sockets? It drives me mad on every ship and it the only reason I need to travel with a multi-socket strip so that I only have to keep one plug in a socket.

Edited by Project_gal

every ship in the world is wired delta. This is because you do not connect the "ground" wire to "ground" as is done at your home (actually wired to a copper stake driven into the earth). The "ground" on ships is led back separately to the neutral back at the generator. This provides the necessary shock protection, but does not use the ship's hull for the ground path. Passing current through the steel hull when it is in salt water causes electrolysis or wasting away of the steel, so this is why ships don't use the wye connection, and use a "floating" ground (a ground that may be at a different potential than the earth).

To gergles: There is no functional difference in electrical systems on cruise ships compared to other ships. I have spent 40 years as a ship's engineer, on virtually every type of sea-going vessel, including cruise ships. Since you seem to feel that if it hasn't been reported on cc it has never happened, i will ask you to research the number of threads and posts that talk about power strips being confiscated in the past two years, and then look at the number of posts where the cruise line has provided power strips. What is the difference? Surge protectors. Even when working fine, surge protectors will cause false "ground" alarms in the engine room. These ground alarms are taken seriously by the engineers because they can lead to hull corrosion, but also to the stray current that backed up into the computer in the uscg safety alert. I am not fear mongering, i am explaining why you don't need a surge protector, and why the cruise lines are becoming every day more pro-active in not allowing these to be brought onboard. I guess that since you know that there have been no documented cases of fires on cruise ships caused by surge suppressors, that you have access to the databases of all the various flag state and classification societies that oversee the cruise ships of the world. Or are you just using cc as your reference?

To desertbelle: I never said these would not work at home, they are perfect for use in homes. Home and ship are two different worlds, electrically. If you want to ignore a safety alert from the recognized leader in maritime safety, there is nothing i can do to stop you, but don't complain if in the future these are taken away at boarding.

As a further note, the non-surge suppressor outlets and usb ports are cheaper than the surge suppressors. Also note, as a warning for home use, that the circuitry that protects your electronics are known to break down with repeated surges, and will then not protect your equipment. So, if you live where power surges are frequent, you should replace these units regularly. Just google "joule rating of surge suppressors", but hey, i'm just fear mongering.

thank you!!

Thanks for explaining how ships are wired. It makes sense why they use the Delta configuration. However if surge protectors are a safety issue then the cruise lines should ban them. Celebrity has not. So that leaves it up to individuals and only a few know about the possible issues. Probably 20 people.....so you can't blame passengers for bringing them onboard.

For those who want to be proactive I have been using the Monster Outlets to Go that several have mentioned it is not a surge protector, and a 2 port USB charger. The USB charger will charge phones but not iPads. Never used surge protectors because the cheap small ones they sell only give a false sense of security. As was mentioned even if they did good the day purchased the capacitors will degrade. Most of them in use are probably not providing protection. At home I use a UPS with high grade surge protection.

7251f6cfc29c2ee4ac3e19d2716aa4ce.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

For those interested in using the 240 outlets in your stateroom like I have been doing with my dual voltage chargers the European adapters fit in the sockets. You can use either of these pictured. I like the small one on the left better because it stays in the socket but if your device uses a 3 prong plug you need the one on the right which likes to fall out. So in Europe (outside the UK, you need a different one for the UK) I need the one on the right to plug in my Monster Outlets since it has a three prong plug. I also pack a 3 to 2 prong adapter.

7ebecea5ca58ea8272588caf8099c0c1.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

My job here is done. I have convinced at least two CC members to leave the surge suppressors at home. On to the next windmill: clothes steamers. :o

Will this be in a new thread? I want to read all about it! :p

Seriously!

We use the Belkin 3-in-1 and have been known to take a foot extension cords so we can use all three cords. Some of those kindle fire plugs are so big, they take up more than one slot.

We also put them away when we leave the room. But one cabin steward actually opened all our drawers during my norovirus attack, and didn't comment on it.

They probably worry about confiscating things, since that could affect their evaluation score.

We use the Belkin 3-in-1 and have been known to take a foot extension cords so we can use all three cords. Some of those kindle fire plugs are so big, they take up more than one slot.

We also put them away when we leave the room. But one cabin steward actually opened all our drawers during my norovirus attack, and didn't comment on it.

They probably worry about confiscating things, since that could affect their evaluation score.

If they confiscated it like they did to the OP who started thread I would take exception because it is not listed as a prohibited item. Tell me not to use and I would put it away and not use it. Don't take it away when it is not prohibited.

If the cabin steward took it, not a ships officer, I would lower their evaluation score and lower my tip if possible. If they come upon something they believe should be confiscated the cabin steward should go to a ships officer, not take it themselves.

Again if surge protecters are unsafe they should be banned and listed as prohibited. It should not be left to passengers or cabin stewards to figure it out.

My job here is done. I have convinced at least two CC members to leave the surge suppressors at home. On to the next windmill: clothes steamers. :o

LOL, I'd like to know about the steamers...We bring one that's a few years old now. Point me to the thread...;)

If the cabin steward took it, not a ships officer, I would lower their evaluation score and lower my tip if possible. If they come upon something they believe should be confiscated the cabin steward should go to a ships officer, not take it themselves.

How do you know that they haven't been instructed to confiscate it by their supervisors? They just might be only doing their job. Just following orders. No need to punish them for doing their job as instructed. Sheesh!

How do you know that they haven't been instructed to confiscate it by their supervisors? They just might be only doing their job. Just following orders. No need to punish them for doing their job as instructed. Sheesh!

How would their supervisors know if you had one? If the cabin steward is instructed to confiscate them they would be better off telling passengers to not use them and put them away. Not piss off passengers. Again if they are unsafe then the cruise line should prohibit them. I am all for prohibiting them if they are unsafe. Don't make it a hassle by confiscating something that they they don't tell passengers not to bring. And cabin stewards should not be removing any passengers belongings from cabins. That is something supervisors should do if something should be removed. Guest relations or the supervisor can tell you it was done. Sheesh!

Edited by Charles4515

How would their supervisors know if you had one? If the cabin steward is instructed to confiscate them they would be better off telling passengers to not use them and put them away. Not piss off passengers. Again if they are unsafe then the cruise line should prohibit them. I am all for prohibiting them if they are unsafe. Don't make it a hassle by confiscating something that they they don't tell passengers not to bring. And cabin stewards should not be removing any passengers belongings from cabins. That is something supervisors should do if something should be removed. Guest relations or the supervisor can tell you it was done. Sheesh!

Like all other types of "contraband" that takes you to the naughty room to get your luggage, you get it back at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Like all other types of "contraband" that takes you to the naughty room to get your luggage, you get it back at the end of the cruise.

That is nice but your reply is not relevant to the post you replied too. A surge protector is not contraband and we are not discussing where they take a surge protector if they take it despite that fact.

That is nice but your reply is not relevant to the post you replied too. A surge protector is not contraband and we are not discussing where they take a surge protector if they take it despite that fact.

Sounds like you are taking offense to the fact that I quoted you, versus me just making my same statement without quoting you, which is relevant but probably wouldn't have solicited your comment. Point taken.

Edited by vulcan1971