Passport vs Driver's License Discrepancy

pintail1

I failed to add my middle initial to my US passport application, but my driver's license does show it. My wife is adamant that I have it corrected before we depart for Vancouver on 7/25. She is certain it will cause probs when we arrive and return home. I'm thinking it's not going to be an issue. Can anyone offer advice on this?

Your passport name should exactly match the way your name is on your air and cruise tickets.

My passport has my middle name on it. I recently booked a cruise and they omitted it on the reservation. I contacted the cruise line as soon as I learned they made that error and had it corrected. It can cause a problem if your ID does not exactly match your passport.

Edited by sail7seas

When you show your passport at the cruise port, airport, or US/Canada border crossing no one will be comparing it side-by-side to your DL. By far the bigger issue is that your name on the cruise booking and any air tickets match the passport.

(ETA: just wondering as it appears you are applying for your passport for the first time. Wouldn't you have just put your middle name or initial exactly how it appears on the birth certificate (or naturalization certificate if you are a new citizen) you submitted with the application? Remember this is a Federal document and your name should match how it appears on any other such as SS card. Hope this solves the spousal conflict)

Edited by fishywood

You will not need your DL as long as you have a passport. No one will compare the name on the DL to the passport. The name on your passport must match the one on your air tickets, and cruise tickets.

I failed to add my middle initial to my US passport application, but my driver's license does show it. My wife is adamant that I have it corrected before we depart for Vancouver on 7/25. She is certain it will cause probs when we arrive and return home. I'm thinking it's not going to be an issue. Can anyone offer advice on this?

It will not be an issue. No one sees your drivers license when you have a passport. In fact, unless you are renting a car you could leave your DL at home.

BTW the first and last name on tickets have to match the passport, middle initials are not as critical. In fact one airline has my middle initial and middle name on all my tickets and I never have an issue because neither my DL or passport is written that way.

Edited by zqvol

Since you do not use both your passport and your DL at the same time, no problem.

Just make sure your ticket name matches whichever id you are using.

My DL has a shortened form of my middle name. My passport has the complete middle name. Never had a problem since I make sure ticket matches name on whichever id I am using. DL for domestic flights. Passport for other trips.

You won't have to change your passport to satisfy any governmental officials, but you know better than we do about satisfying unreasonable demands from your wife.

WHOGO- you funny, dude. Thanks to everyone else for their advice!

Sorry to bust your bubble, but on your DL and passport they must be the same. We had a problem going through customs in the UK. DW was asked for secondary ID and her given name was different on each. The Cdn French version was changed to Cdn. English and we were held up for a period of time and finally they agreed the pictures on each were the same person. Once we were back home DW corrected the problem.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but on your DL and passport they must be the same. We had a problem going through customs in the UK. DW was asked for secondary ID and her given name was different on each. The Cdn French version was changed to Cdn. English and we were held up for a period of time and finally they agreed the pictures on each were the same person. Once we were back home DW corrected the problem.

I have never heard of anyone presenting a passport anywhere being requested to show any other ID. In any event, no ID (passport or any) is requested at customs in the UK --- passport needs to be shown going through immigration - before picking up checked luggage and proceeding to customs --- which usually just waves you through.

The only places that have given me a tougher grilling than UK immigration are East Germany and Israel. If the OP is delayed by immigration officials his wife can say, "I told you so."

My children both have two middle names on their birth certificates however, when i ordered their first passports they told me only one middle name could go on it...so their passports and BC are different....never had any issues, just FYI!!!

happy sailing