Mayan Ruins Excursion Help

lottorus

Going on Caribbean Princess in November to Belize and Cozumel. Wanted to know which Mayan ruins to visit. Since the drives are all about 2 hours we only wanted to do one excursion to them. We have been to Tulum. Chichen Itza seems like a no brainer, but I want you guys opinion who have done some of the others. Altun Ha and Lamanai in Belize appear to be the other options.

Going on Caribbean Princess in November to Belize and Cozumel. Wanted to know which Mayan ruins to visit. Since the drives are all about 2 hours we only wanted to do one excursion to them. We have been to Tulum. Chichen Itza seems like a no brainer, but I want you guys opinion who have done some of the others. Altun Ha and Lamanai in Belize appear to be the other options.

Are talking about the one with a river cruise either before or after the pyramids? We done this one. The pyramids or the view is not as impressive as Tulum but we did enjoy that particular excursion.

In Belize we think Altun Ha is the better of the two options.

There are some great reviews in the Belize section of the board with some good detail. This will probably get moved there :)

What date are you sailing? We are on the Thanksgiving cruise.

Nov 15

We visited Lamanai when we were in Belize and had a great time in spite of the rain and cold. It's a decent sized area with a good bit of walking, but you get to see a number of buildings up close.

In Cozumel, we did the Coba tour, which was great. At the time, we were able to climb to the top of one of the temples for an amazing view of the site and the forest.

Chicken Pizza is a fantastic site but you certainly couldn't to it justice from a cruise ship stop from Cozumel. Too much travel time with the ferry and bus. Coba is a fairly decent site in the jungle with the opportunity to climb and hike to the site. One of my favourite mayan ruin excursions was to Laminia mainly for the travel to the site via speed boat along the river. Xunantunich is also a great option in Belize

We've done almost all of the ones mentioned. Coba is very rustic and is not likely to be crowded, so it will be a different experience if you're looking for that. We saw wild boars there. Of the two in Belize, we give a resounding vote to Lamanai. The boat ride there is great with lots of animals, and the howler monkeys all over the site make the experience special. At Altun Ha we saw no animals whatsoever, and it is much smaller than Lamanai. If it's an issue, Altun Ha is also pretty open, so it will be much hotter on a sunny day.

Lamani was a great excursion. The boat ride was relaxing with a lot to see. The lunch at the site was good and the ruins were wonderful. We were able to climb to the top of the highest pyramid. A great day !!!! :D

I have the same dilemma as you, same itinerary although we are going on a later sailing. Right now I'm leaning toward Coba since I understand you can still climb to the top of the largest pyramid. Many years ago my husband and I honeymooned in Cancun and we visited both Chichen Itza and Tulum when it was still allowed to climb and it was amazing. But they no longer allow it at Chichen Itza and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to climb Coba while I still can.

I have the same dilemma as you, same itinerary although we are going on a later sailing. Right now I'm leaning toward Coba since I understand you can still climb to the top of the largest pyramid. Many years ago my husband and I honeymooned in Cancun and we visited both Chichen Itza and Tulum when it was still allowed to climb and it was amazing. But they no longer allow it at Chichen Itza and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to climb Coba while I still can.

We went to Coba in April. It was great. I climbed the pyramid. It's VERY steep. :eek: But it was very cool. Actually it was VERY HOT!! :D However, our guide said it was looking like the powers that be would likely discontinue our abilities to climb the pyramid in the not so distant future due to the damage that was being done, so you better get there quickly. ;)

The "no brainer", Chichen Itza, is the most famous even if you are no longer allowed to climb around on it.

Glad we went when we were LOTS younger and climbing was allowed and we were still physically able to do it! :D

LuLu

We did the Lamanai excursion with Princess a few years back. One of the best excursions I've done. Long bus drive to take off point which was a boat ride up the New River. Fantastic ride, captain obviously knew every bend in the river and just flew along, until we would encounter local fishermen in dugout canoes who would proudly display their fish. The ruins are amazing and are definitely a bucket list experience. I had a somewhat negative view of Belize before our excursion but our tour guide was native (half Mayan/half Hispanic) and was very proud of his country and really changed my view of Belize. Very poor country but rich in history and potential. Not sure if excursion is the same but it was definitely fantastic when we went. P.S. Bring a rain jacket. It rains everyday in Belize and I couldn't believe my wife and I were the only ones with rain jackets. They sell plastic ponchos for a couple of bucks but as our tour guide said "it's a warm rain." ;)

Edited by philv

We did the Lamanai excursion with Princess a few years back. One of the best excursions I've done. Long bus drive to take off point which was a boat ride up the New River. Fantastic ride, captain obviously knew every bend in the river and just flew along, until we would encounter local fishermen in dugout canoes who would proudly display their fish. The ruins are amazing and are definitely a bucket list experience. I had a somewhat negative view of Belize before our excursion but our tour guide was native (half Mayan/half Hispanic) and was very proud of his country and really changed my view of Belize.

Agree on all counts. Loved the Lamanai excursion. And on this point, it is the only excursion (that I have done, anyway), where I would insist on booking through the ship instead of saving some money to book privately. It is a full day excursion and timing can be an issue. You wouldn't want to be left behind on Belize. Booking through the ship eliminates this concern.

Agree on all counts. Loved the Lamanai excursion. And on this point, it is the only excursion (that I have done, anyway), where I would insist on booking through the ship instead of saving some money to book privately. It is a full day excursion and timing can be an issue. You wouldn't want to be left behind on Belize. Booking through the ship eliminates this concern.

I agree Jimmy on booking through ship. Long excursion and we were last tender back to ship. But no worries knowing they would wait for us.

I agree Jimmy on booking through ship. Long excursion and we were last tender back to ship. But no worries knowing they would wait for us.

Our speedboat broke down about 3/4 the way back to the dock. We were speeding along with another boat, so that one finished its trip and spun around to come pick us up, where we did a mid-river transfer from one boat to the next. If I had been on a private tour, I would have had a panic attack about the timing.

Never been to Altun Ha or Chichen Itza or Coba, but we went to Lamanai and would recommend it without hesitation. It was a great daylong trip. If you're a good hiker/climber, there are splendid buildings and temples to climb. If not (like us) you can watch others.

The river trip was memorable, and the time at the ruins was special.

Jim

We've visited both Lamanai and Altun Ha. Lamanai is more in the jungle. You take a bus ride and river trip in both directions. Altun Ha is more open and the trip is one way by river and one way by bus. Lots of wildlife on the river.

I found Lamanai more interesting than Altun Ha but if you only want to do one long trip in either Mexico or Belize then go to Chichen Itza. Even if you can't climb the "castillo" it is well worth your time.

Coba allows you to climb the "castillo" and it is "linked" to Altun Ha on the compass.

Actually you can't go wrong with any of these.

Edited by Traveling Library

I'm surprised that there's been no mention of Tulum. We thought it was facinating! Had such a wonderful tour guide. The ferry ride going back to the ship didn't totally agree with all the passengers but I'd do it again if I could[emoji3]

I've never been to the ruins in Belize. I've been to both Tulum and Chichen Itza. I think Tulum is more impressive in some ways, but I really loved Chichen Itza. I agree with another person who said it's a very long day trip, though.

I do not think Chichen Itza is offered as a Princess excursion anymore from Cozumel.