Taking food back to your cabin

Tom Graphy

In order to get our plates removed, we had to put them in the hall. Our lazy steward wouldn't just take them.

Were the plates empty? If not, maybe he didn't think you were done with them.

I'd have put a little sticky on it with 'please take me away'.

Harriet

You are essentially paying a "delivery fee" to have someone bring you food & $8 is VERY reasonable on a ship. Apparently you have never ordered room service from a hotel where they jack the prices up 100% (seriously, I think a ham sandwich was something like $16 by itself + the 20% automatic gratuity @ Hilton).

And I would never, ever pay that either. It's absolutely ridiculous. I could understand a couple bucks. (Still probably wouldn't do it, but I can understand it) $8 to bring it to your room is crazy. Would you pay $8 to have food delivered to your house? I know I wouldn't.

We were told to call room service to pick up our plates on our recent RCCL cruise. If we bring anything back to the cabin ourselves, the dishes are left in the cabin for our steward to remove. If for some reason s/he doesn't, I leave a note.

We've only cruised on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean. We are thinking about trying Norwegian and this is my first foray on Cruise Critic's Norwegian board to check it put a little.

I'm stunned that there is an $8 charge for room service. On the other lines there is no charge for room service unless you order between midnight and 4:00 a.m., IIRC.

It doesnt mean it should be lile that, though. Changes are made when something is not done well.
A cruiser asked the question of the, I believe, Hotel Director or Dining Manager on her cruise and came back and reported that their policy was to call the Room Steward to have the plates picked up or leave them in the cabin.

All cruise lines should get specific places in every deck to put dirty plates. It is just gross to see them on the floor.

It's but that's their rule. Monkey see monkey do, the first time I had room service I was like " what do undo with the dishes now" but since I saw so many trays outside on the floor I followed

I think they should be more consistent picking up the dirty plates, I see them for hours and every employee look at the them like" that's not for me"

A cruiser asked the question of the, I believe, Hotel Director or Dining Manager on her cruise and came back and reported that their policy was to call the Room Steward to have the plates picked up or leave them in the cabin.

Yes, that was me on the Gem this past June. However, when I asked my room steward he said to just leave it either inside or in the hall. When I asked the F&B Director he said the same thing....in the room or in the hallways.

So, they all need to get on the same page. And I told the HD that as well.

Harriet

We've only cruised on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean. We are thinking about trying Norwegian and this is my first foray on Cruise Critic's Norwegian board to check it put a little.

I'm stunned that there is an $8 charge for room service. On the other lines there is no charge for room service unless you order between midnight and 4:00 a.m., IIRC.

This fee is relatively new (a few months) &, as I understand it, is not charge for a continental type breakfast during certain hours. (sorry no idea what they are) I believe they also expanded the room service menu which wasn't anything to get excited about.

Yes, that was me on the Gem this past June. However, when I asked my room steward he said to just leave it either inside or in the hall. When I asked the F&B Director he said the same thing....in the room or in the hallways.

So, they all need to get on the same page. And I told the HD that as well.

Harriet

Thanks, I just remember reading it. Seems like NCL has some work to do with regard to everyone being on the same page. I also think I remember that you said the HD said something about possibly needing some sort of sign to say to leave them in the cabin or call for removal.

Wonder if on the Gem they ever all got on the same page with the HD?

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thanks, I just remember reading it. Seems like NCL has some work to do with regard to everyone being on the same page. I also think I remember that you said the HD said something about possibly needing some sort of sign to say to leave them in the cabin or call for removal.

Yes, he mentioned to me that maybe they'll put it on the room service menu to leave the dirty plates inside for pickup or having a little tent sign on the room service tray saying the same basic thing.

Harriet

It has never bothered me in the least to see the occasional tray of dishes in the hall.

Me neither. I usually check at 2 in the morning to see what leftovers are out that I can eat so I don't have to pay for the new room service charge. ;)

It has never bothered me in the least to see the occasional tray of dishes in the hall.

^ Agreed. The things people complain about never cease to amaze me :D:D

Those with mobility scooters, walkers, etc definitely notice a tray of dishes because in those narrow corridors a tray or even a neat stack of dishes is an obstacle.

^ Agreed. The things people complain about never cease to amaze me :D:D

For me a ship works the same way as an hotel. I have never seen dirty plates on the floor of hotels corridors.

We don't like to bother the butler to pick up our dishes, so we tend to put them in a bin that the room steward leaves on his housekeeping cart which can usually be found parked a few doors down from our suite. Seems as though lots of folks on Deck 10 AFT suites on Pearl enjoy snacking in their cabin LOL! Cannot say I recall a problem (at least in our immediate area) with dirty dishes sitting on the floor....

On our Breakaway cruise last month we took breakfast back to our cabin from the buffet at least half the week and often took a late night snack back from the buffet. We always stacked the empty dishes neatly on our vanity top and they quickly disappeared as soon as the room was made up.

On the other hand, a connecting cabin further down our hall followed the leave in hall form of disposal and it was gross. They always haphazardly piled their plates with food melting and slopping over the sides. One particular night we walked back to our room only to pass their pile of melting bowls of ice cream piled together with the melting ice cream forming a puddle that was actually running about 8 inches into the hall. I saw this and realized immediately what Del Rio was referencing when he tried the ban on food in cabins. These people had no sense of decorum :rolleyes:

Whatever form of disposal you use, please be "neat and discreet" :)

Edited by Kenlorz

For me a ship works the same way as an hotel. I have never seen dirty plates on the floor of hotels corridors.

Really? I've very rarely been to an airport hotel without having to dodge my suitcase around room service trays and trolleys. The fold out room service table trolley is a great invention until there are 30 of them in one corridor.

I see no issue with putting plates stacked on a tray outside your room. It is the cruise lines responsibility to ensure the corridors are monitored/checked regularly to avoid them sitting there.

I think if I had an inside cabin, fancied some late night fries and couldn't finish them all I'd want to get them out of the confined space ASAP and not wait until morning housekeeping.

That would explain a lot then. In the U.S., even the 4-star hotels have room service trays out in the hall. So it didn't seem at all odd when we saw plates on our ship.

And I would never, ever pay that either. It's absolutely ridiculous. I could understand a couple bucks. (Still probably wouldn't do it, but I can understand it) $8 to bring it to your room is crazy. Would you pay $8 to have food delivered to your house? I know I wouldn't.

Oh god, you are making me feel like my behavior is completely decadent.... We have a "gourmet" take-out service in our area. Steak-houses, high end Italian and seafood restaurants in the area all subscribe, and we can pay a 20.00 buck service fee and order top notch 3 or 4 course meals for delivery, and they will even stop at the video rental place or state store (liquor stores in PA are owned by the state) to pick up wine for an extra 5.00 per stop. I don't want to admit how many times a month we do that (or how much money we spend a month doing it) .... So, of course, 7.95 seems like a bargain to me....

Terry