John Maxtone-Graham: Maritime Historian

rkacruiser

It has been reported on the Celebrity Cruises Message Board that Mr. Maxtone-Graham has passed away. I am sure that many who frequent the HAL Message Board have enjoyed reading The Only Way to Cross as well as Liners to the Sun. I never had the opportunity to meet the gentlemen, but I would think many of you may have. His passing is a loss to the maritime literary and historical community.

Edited by rkacruiser

Sadly, he apparently died July 6 of an inoperable brain tumor. At the age of 86. We sailed with him twice. First, on the inaugural cruise of Star Princess in 2002. His lectures with slides were fascinating, and the crowds grew in the Vista lounge as word got around. The second time we got many of the same talks on QE2 in 2008, but by this time he had moved up to powerpoint. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

We had this amazing gentleman as a guest lecturer on a Celebrity TA , so had at least three if not four lectures by him. He was amusing, knowledgable and an excellent speaker. After word got out on how wonderful he was after the first lecture, the theatre filled up every subsequent time he spoke.

One of his talks was called "John reads the telephone book". He had a marvellous British accent, and started at "a" to tell little anecdotes about cruising with each letter of the alphabet. At "c" he told us how he and his wife had a little personal communication trick for use if they met a couple onboard who's style, or attitudes they really couldn't agree with. He sAid this happened VERY seldom in their travels. But, if they met such people, they used the term " CORGI's " to describe them ( as in Queen Elizabeth's corgi dogs). What the term stood for, between John and his wife was , a "Couple Of Really Ghastly Individuals".!!!!!!

My husband and I have used this term a couple of times over our travels and enjoy remembering this fine man and how much we learned from him about the early days of passenger liners. So nice he put a lot of his knowledge into books. Those of you who have not read anything would probably enjoy it

We enjoyed him and his wife on one of the Princess small ships....don't recall which one at this time. He was a real gentleman, historian and wonderful presenter.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

I met John and Mary in New York in 1982.

I had a copy of his book THE NORTH ATLANTIC RUN in my shelf from 1974and determined to meet this author! Went to his house and we had a great afternoon. John has probably done more for cruising .... and crossing.... than all of the marketing people in the world together!

A good friend indeed and you could not find a finer fellow passenger!

Anyone wants the book.... still available. The book was renamed as THE ONLY WAY TO CROSS. Don't miss it!

John... Rest in Peace.

Stephen

Among Maxtone-Graham's later works, his books on the Normandie and France/Norway are just outstanding and belong in the library of any serious ocean liner enthusiast. He certainly had a wonderful way with words and will be sorely missed.

He also wrote the Forward in 1990 for the book; "Grande Dame: Holland America Line and the S.S. Rotterdam" by Stephen M. Payne. I purchased the book on board the SS Rotterdam in 1995 and got it autographed by Capt. Edward G. Van Zaane and Stephen J. Card. May he RIP.

Sad to hear. Just this past March, I found 2 copies of The Only Way To Cross in an antique store in Arcadia, Florida. Bought one since I was always mad at myself for not buying one on the SS Norway back in 1988. We watched his televised show each day in our stateroom from The Only Way To Cross. Made me interested in cruise ships of the past.

This is a sad thing to learn. I'm sure that in his afterlife he will be sailing the ships of the heavens. May he sail in eternal peace. I will be forever grateful for his books and his role in maritime history.

I was in high school when "Liners To The Sun" was published. I read it over and over again. At that young age of 16 I made a vow to myself that just as soon as I became an adult with a career that afforded some disposable income, I'd run to the nearest travel agency and book a cruise on Sitmar. The funny thing is that when I actually did that (in 1988) the travel agent laughed and told me that Sitmar was just that week bought out by Princess. My dreams of the Fairwind were realized on the Dawn Princess. In "Liners To The Sun" Mr. Maxtone-Graham devoted a whole chapter to a group of cruisers he called New Passenger (me on my first cruise in the late 1980's). These passengers were in comparison to another group who he called the Old Guard (me in 2015 after 40 plus cruises). I'm amazed at the changes I've seen in the cruise industry (NOT impressed at all). There is a whole generation of New Passenger who expect theme park gimmicks and obnoxious loud stadium sized TV screens blaring music poolside as their benchmark of the WOW factor of a wonderful cruise (yes, I'm taking the liberty of a large generalization). In 20 plus years these people will be saying, "I remember when". And the beat goes on.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

This is a sad thing to learn. I'm sure that in his afterlife he will be sailing the ships of the heavens. May he sail in eternal peace. I will be forever grateful for his books and his role in maritime history.

I was in high school when "Liners To The Sun" was published. I read it over and over again. At that young age of 16 I made a vow to myself that just as soon became an adult with a career that afforded some disposable income, I'd run to the nearest travel agency and book a cruise on Sitmar. The funny thing is that when I actually did that (in 1988) the travel agent laughed and told me that Sitmar was just that week bought out by Princess. My dreams of the Fairwind were realized on the Dawn Princess. In "Liners To The Sun" Mr. Maxtone-Graham devoted a whole chapter to a group of cruisers he called New Passenger (me on my first cruise in the late 1980's). These passengers were in comparison to another group who he called the Old Guard (me in 2015 after 40 plus cruises). I'm amazed at the changes I've seen in the cruise industry (NOT impressed at all). There is a whole generation of New Passenger who expect theme park gimmicks and obnoxious loud stadium sized TV screens blaring music poolside as their benchmark of the WOW factor of a wonderful cruise (yes, I'm taking the liberty of a large generalization). In 20 plus years these people will be saying, "I remember when". And the beat goes on.

Ah yes, Sitmar.....a name with a familiar ring. Seems like that was THE cruise line back then. However I actually like the changes in the cruise industry over the years. Granted, you won't see me on a Disney cruise and most likely not on a Carnival ship, I still like the improvements in cruising during the past 30 years. I loved the nostalgic feeling on the QM2 but I'm eager to see the NCL Escape in December. Still, the grand ole cruiseliners were 'the only way to cross'.

Had the good fortune, just a few short years ago, to meet and spend some time with John and Mary aboard a Princess ship where John was lecturing. After a brief introduction, following one of John's immensely enjoyable and extremely well attended lectures, I mentioned that I had sailed on a transatlantic crossing of the s.s. United States. This intrigued John and, over several cups of tea, we spent a very pleasant two hours talking about the s.s. United States and other liners. Although our transatlantic experiences numbered, at that time, only about a dozen including the QM2, John was interested in our thoughts and experiences especially the s.s. United States. John was a true 'gentleman' and he had a very special aura about him that made one feel comfortable conversing with him. He will be missed, not only for his wit, wisdom and knowledge, but as a person...

L Maxwell, thank you for posting the links. I had never seen John Maxtone-Graham before, though I enjoyed his most famous book, The Only Way to Cross. I will place a copy of his obituary inside the cover. A true gentleman.