Turn it OFF

Redtravel

1. Place phone in Airplane mode

2. Turn phone completely off

3. Remove battery

4. Smash phone with hammer

5. Put smashed phone in safe

6. Replace phone when you get home by using insurance. (My phone fell off the desk.)

7. If you don't have insurance then disregard steps 4, 5, and 6.

Funniest thing I have read all evening!

I have not been on a Celebrity cruise yet, but my understanding is the cell phone service (not to mistaken with the wifi internet) onboard only offers voice services and do not offer data services. Therefore, regardless whether you have the "roaming" settings on, it wouldn't make a difference.

It could be you accidentally butt dial/text someone and you didn't know or it could be just billing issues on AT&T side, which happens.

Not true. On our first Mediterranean cruise my husband kept playing with his phone. He played games, searched the Internet, etc. After only two days he had racked up $300 in charges. Luckily, when we called AT&T they credited our account for that amount and he never used his phone on the ship again.

Another great idea. Too bad the cruise line doesn't develop an app where you put in your ship and sailing date and your dailies are automatically in that app. Unfortunately Celebrity cannot even get their web-site to work so I doubt they will be dabbling in apps.

Celebrity does have an ap - check the Apple Store...

Another great idea. Too bad the cruise line doesn't develop an app where you put in your ship and sailing date and your dailies are automatically in that app. Unfortunately Celebrity cannot even get their web-site to work so I doubt they will be dabbling in apps.

That would be genius! What a great idea - hope they read this!

I guess we all have a different level of obsession for smartphones. I much prefer to carry "the paper" than to take photos of it, and then carry my phone around all day and constantly having to turn on the phone and search for the photo for something I can find in a fraction of the time with the paper version. I find the paper takes less room in my pockets when folded, I don't need to worry about it being stolen if I leave it on my chair while taking a dip in the pool, and I can easily replace it if it gets wet because I had another "senior moment" and forgot to remove it before taking that dip.

Using a smartphone to avoid carrying a sheet of paper is an unnecessary solution to a non problem.

Before you make assumptions that I am a dinosaur (I am only 65, not 65,000,000!), I own one of the best and most feature laden smartphones on the market today, a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, which I like very much. I am certainly not afraid of technology. I just don't rely on it when it is unnecessary.

This certainly doesn't make you a dinosaur, but I do think it's a generational thing. Folks in your generation grew up with maps, paper conformations (I have on good authority that they actually came in the mail), address books, business cards, etc. Folks in my generation are used to accessing these things electronically. Just like when I'm visiting my Mother and she is sitting on one sofa reading the paper while I am on the other looking at the CNN app. Neither is better, it's just a matter of preference.

This certainly doesn't make you a dinosaur, but I do think it's a generational thing. Folks in your generation grew up with maps, paper conformations (I have on good authority that they actually came in the mail), address books, business cards, etc. Folks in my generation are used to accessing these things electronically. Just like when I'm visiting my Mother and she is sitting on one sofa reading the paper while I am on the other looking at the CNN app. Neither is better, it's just a matter of preference.

I don't think that it's entirely a generational thing. See post #43, and I'm 2 years older than SantaFeFan. I think that in every generation, some people embrace new technology and push the boundaries of its potential uses while others are less inclined to do so.

I downloaded one called Ship Mate that isn't crashing - at least not here in Knoxville. No telling what it will do when I need it.

It includes deck plans and the itinerary for our cruise. And it shows where the ship is at the moment.

I'll see how much help it is as I follow my usual practice and wander aft thinking I'm going forward.

And for those going to large cities, don't forget the free map apps that include gps.

Edited by tangerinebunny

I did purchase us both unlimited internet for our upcoming cruise, using the Go Better promotion - and I have to say it is primarily for iMessage! We can't stand waiting around or searching for each other on a huge ship, and we are both wanderers. It's next to impossible to message each other if we keep having to login and logout of one account. We also are not ones to separate ourselves from the rest of the world on vacation, due to both professional and personal reasons, so the package will be well used by us... however, that ability to message each other just takes so much stress out of my vacation!!

Btw, thanks for the recommendation on the map apps to download while on shore, I can't wait to check those out.

1. Place phone in Airplane mode

2. Turn phone completely off

3. Remove battery

4. Smash phone with hammer

5. Put smashed phone in safe

6. Replace phone when you get home by using insurance. (My phone fell off the desk.)

7. If you don't have insurance then disregard steps 4, 5, and 6.

Good advise! :)

Phone turned off cannot roam. We have never had an issue.

Edited by shipshape sam

I stopped in to my ATT store and was told either turn the phone off or put it in airplane mode.

He also told me, when you are on the ship,, if you leave it on and don't answer it goes to voice mail, accidentally, butt dial etc. The charge is ,rats, I can't remember if it was 1.90 or 2.90 a MINUTE.

He said he learned the hard way. For Canada it will say Rogers and that will incur a roaming charge .

We just turn cellular data/data roaming off and that leaves calls and texts available. With children and a 92 yr old FIL at home, I will happily pay what ever the per minute rate is on the ship (3.95 I think for me as I have a global SIM card I use for travel) in case of an emergency.

Edited by Christine Frances

I believe I incurred maritime roaming charges from AT&T for the following reason: Before we left on our cruise, I bought an 800 mb data plan for use in foreign countries. LTE, 4G and even 3G are faster than the ship's WiFi. If we are close to land (say about three miles), the maritime cellular service is turned off and I can still use the land based cellular data. The problem is that as soon as the maritime cellular service is turned on, just hooking up to the maritime data, incurs a charge. AT&T reversed a several hundred dollar bill for me.

I have learned by lesson and turn off data roaming as soon as we leave port. I turn it on again when I see a local phone service on my phone and we are pulling into port. The trick is to remember to do this for all of one's devices for which one purchased an international data plan. If you didn't purchase a plan, leave data roaming off ALL the time.

Since I like to still receive text messages during my cruise, I keep airplane mode off. However, I absolutely turn my data roaming off so that I don't incur data charges. I have AT&T and I can receive text messages for free. It is only when I text back that I get charged 50 cents per text. I have never been charged any data roaming charges though. This works well for us.

Edited by QTBabyNurse