Pictures of "long lines" and "crowding" on Oasis

I was just wondering if anyone has taken pictures of what they are reporting as "long lines" and "crowding" the Oasis of the Seas. I have never cruised Royal but I am seriously considering booking a cruise for spring 2016 as a surprise for my daughter who will be graduating high school. We have taken two cruise, both with Disney, and both when she was younger. I think she would love the Oasis. But, I keep reading all these posts about crowding and long lines, and it has me scared. So, I have gone back 350 pages on this thread (no joke, I literally did) looking for pictures to get an idea of what they were considering long lines. No one who has posted complaining about the crowds and lines posted any pictures showing what they were considering crowds and longs lines. I have read 20 or more reviews of the Oasis and the Allure that had pictures included and I found no pictures showing problems with crowding and long lines. I did find certain activities such as parades, the 70's party, etc. that had crowds in certain places, but those are planned activities, advertised for the sole purpose of drawing a crowd. I don't consider that a problem caused by a bigger ship. Those activities would be consider failures if they did not draw a crowd. So, I am just asking all of you who have reported problems with crowds or lines at MDR, buffet, flowrider, etc. if you would please share some pictures showing those lines and letting us know how often you encountered those lines and crowds on your cruise. I am seriously only wanting to get an idea of what you considered to be the problem so I can decide if it is something that would be a problem for me and my daughter.

reported problems with crowds or lines at MDR, buffet, flowrider, etc. if you would please share some pictures showing those lines and letting us know how often you encountered those lines and crowds on your cruise. I am seriously only wanting to get an idea of what you considered to be the problem so I can decide if it is something that would be a problem for me and my daughter.

I will let you know about the stand-up flowrider. Having had the pleasure of waiting in line many hours over mutiple cruises I will share with you what I have learned. During open riding the average ride length per person is 2 minutes. If you count 10 people in line expect it to take 20 minutes for the last person to be loading onto the wave. Some people will load themselves and ride longer. There are others that might be on the wave for 10 seconds or less, but get a lot more help. The average seems to be 2 minutes.

Don't do it on the last sea day if you are going to do it once. I have been in line as long as 40 minutes for a 3 minute ride you want to make the most of your time. Ususally on the last sea day I stop riding by noon as the line gets to be too long. If there is open riding prior to getting to port do it then, as most people are busy eating or getting ready to get of the ship.

As for your question, is there a problem with this at the flowrider. I'd say no, just lots of folks want to try it once and only once for the photo op. That in turn makes long lines for those that are there daily. If they installed a third one to shorten the lines I sure wouldn't complain.:D

What a wonderful graduation present. I was on the Allure in October and the only time I encountered crowding was as shows were letting out and at the parades. I stayed up one deck during the parades and had a much better view and avoided the crowd. I like to eat early so I did not find the lunch venues very crowded as some might. RCI does a good job with traffic flow on the Oasis and the Allure, there are so many different things to do so one area is not really overcrowded. I would sail either one again, the ship did not feel crowded to me. One good feature is the screens around the ship that show how crowded the food venues are; green for no waiting, yellow for a line, and red means go find somewhere else to eat. What is a problem for one may not be a problem for others.

Edited by dacsmom

Very good question. We booked Harmony Spring of 2017 for our son, graduation trip as well. My DH hates crowds.. we've cruised once, our honeymoon, years ago on Carnival. We loved it and have wanted to cruise again, but with 4 kids it's hard. I love that cruising has become kid friendly and I don't have to pay Disney prices! I'm also curious what people consider crowded, so pics would be helpful

I was just wondering if anyone has taken pictures of what they are reporting as "long lines" and "crowding" the Oasis of the Seas. I have never cruised Royal but I am seriously considering booking a cruise for spring 2016 as a surprise for my daughter who will be graduating high school. We have taken two cruise, both with Disney, and both when she was younger. I think she would love the Oasis. But, I keep reading all these posts about crowding and long lines, and it has me scared. So, I have gone back 350 pages on this thread (no joke, I literally did) looking for pictures to get an idea of what they were considering long lines. No one who has posted complaining about the crowds and lines posted any pictures showing what they were considering crowds and longs lines. I have read 20 or more reviews of the Oasis and the Allure that had pictures included and I found no pictures showing problems with crowding and long lines. I did find certain activities such as parades, the 70's party, etc. that had crowds in certain places, but those are planned activities, advertised for the sole purpose of drawing a crowd. I don't consider that a problem caused by a bigger ship. Those activities would be consider failures if they did not draw a crowd. So, I am just asking all of you who have reported problems with crowds or lines at MDR, buffet, flowrider, etc. if you would please share some pictures showing those lines and letting us know how often you encountered those lines and crowds on your cruise. I am seriously only wanting to get an idea of what you considered to be the problem so I can decide if it is something that would be a problem for me and my daughter.

Boarding, around noon.

5c0a1b9843ffc61577754c242fc0e288.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good question. I've never noticed people posting pictures of this as a reference for what they consider crowded either. My guess is that if you don't mind sharing a table in the buffet with strangers then you won't find it too crowded. On my last cruise on the Mariner, people were complaining constantly that the buffet was too crowded and there wasn't anywhere to sit. I could see their point because there were rarely empty tables to be found, but I was always able to find a table with a few open seats and just asked if I could share. Nobody ever said no. And whenever I was at a table and people asked to share, I was happy to do so. However, if doing something like that might be uncomfortable for you, then you may find a crowded (full to capacity) ship to be "too crowded." It's all in the prrson's perspective, so having pictures would definitely help as a reference.

I also prefer to take the stairs and get the work out rather than bother with waiting for elevators, which again is a common complaint on various ships. I did find wait times to be long and elevators to show up too full to get onto (like when I was in heels and preferred not to walk 6 flights in stillettos), but again, I always found an alternative (removing my shoes and taking the stairs anyway), and never thought doing so was an inconvenience. If you have trouble with stairs or aren't in very good shape, then "full elevators" might be a complaint, but to others who don't mind taking the stairs, it's easily ignored. Again, it's based on expectations and perspective. If you're prepared for it and know you have options (or just know you have to be patient because you don't have options), you'll probably be fine. It's like Disney Land. You know it will be crowded and you're going to wait in line, but because you expect to to be part of the experience, you probably aren't surprised or bothered by it when you're there. It's part of what you sign up for when you choose to go.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Don't sweat the small stuff, some people consider "any" line a long line. Have sailed Oasis 4 times and Allure 7 times and are there lines, on occasion yes, are they long no....your daughter as well as yourself will be thrilled with the ship, enjoy......K.O.:) Edited by Thetrail

What a wonderful graduation present. I was on the Allure in October and the only time I encountered crowding was as shows were letting out and at the parades. I stayed up one deck during the parades and had a much better view and avoided the crowd. I like to eat early so I did not find the lunch venues very crowded as some might. RCI does a good job with traffic flow on the Oasis and the Allure, there are so many different things to do so one area is not really overcrowded. I would sail either one again, the ship did not feel crowded to me. One good feature is the screens around the ship that show how crowded the food venues are; green for no waiting, yellow for a line, and red means go find somewhere else to eat. What is a problem for one may not be a problem for others.
dacsmom is pretty much spot on. I have been on Oasis twice and Allure twice and with a few exceptions the crowds are not bad. I actually find initial boarding (they have a very efficient system) and disembarking in port (they have multiple exits that are fed by escalators) LESS crowded than most ships. The Windjammer cafe is approximately the same size as on Freedom, but this is alleviated by having more complimentary areas to eat. I will say that if you board the first day between 12:30 and 1:30 don't even think about going to Windjammer (all the tables are full of people who got on ahead of you who are waiting for their cabin to be ready); do something (anything!) else. The other big crowd not mentioned is the zoo at the end of Muster Drill, especially attempting to traverse the Royal Promenade; find somewhere to sit for 15 minutes and let the cattle stampede disperse. Otherwise, ENJOY!

Thom

PS We have done the ship zip line on port days, and were actually begged to go for a second (and third) time, as they had no other customers. Sports venue times may be somewhat limited on port days, but usually very few people.

Edited by TravelerThom

Good question. I've never noticed people posting pictures of this as a reference for what they consider crowded either. My guess is that if you don't mind sharing a table in the buffet with strangers then you won't find it too crowded. On my last cruise on the Mariner, people were complaining constantly that the buffet was too crowded and there wasn't anywhere to sit. I could see their point because there were rarely empty tables to be found, but I was always able to find a table with a few open seats and just asked if I could share. Nobody ever said no. And whenever I was at a table and people asked to share, I was happy to do so. However, if doing something like that might be uncomfortable for you, then you may find a crowded (full to capacity) ship to be "too crowded." It's all in the prrson's perspective, so having pictures would definitely help as a reference.

I also prefer to take the stairs and get the work out rather than bother with waiting for elevators, which again is a common complaint on various ships. I did find wait times to be long and elevators to show up too full to get onto (like when I was in heels and preferred not to walk 6 flights in stillettos), but again, I always found an alternative (removing my shoes and taking the stairs anyway), and never thought doing so was an inconvenience. If you have trouble with stairs or aren't in very good shape, then "full elevators" might be a complaint, but to others who don't mind taking the stairs, it's easily ignored. Again, it's based on expectations and perspective. If you're prepared for it and know you have options (or just know you have to be patient because you don't have options), you'll probably be fine. It's like Disney Land. You know it will be crowded and you're going to wait in line, but because you expect to to be part of the experience, you probably aren't surprised or bothered by it when you're there. It's part of what you sign up for when you choose to go.

Have sailed on every class of RCL ship and does the windjammer get crowded, at times yes, but never ever have I had to share a table or have I ever not been able to secure an empty table somewhere in the windjammer....:)

Have sailed on every class of RCL ship and does the windjammer get crowded, at times yes, but never ever have I had to share a table or have I ever not been able to secure an empty table somewhere in the windjammer....:)

windjammer was crowded on embarkation on navigator, not too bad last week on allure. I'm sure the dual embarkation helped drastically with the crowding during boarding in barcelona.

however, for some reason it seems the WJ staff was off their game on allure with keeping tables cleared. stared at a dirty table next to us our entire meal. walked out to find a crow waiting to get in and being held up by staff. they were constantly out of food too and seemed to take forever when asked to get a refilled tray.

i'm sure a lot of this had to do with it being a popular time of year to travel and we've vowed to not do a summer trip again.

But, I keep reading all these posts about crowding and long lines, and it has me scared. So, I am just asking all of you who have reported problems with crowds or lines at MDR, buffet, flowrider, etc. if you would please share some pictures showing those lines and letting us know how often you encountered those lines and crowds on your cruise. I am seriously only wanting to get an idea of what you considered to be the problem so I can decide if it is something that would be a problem for me and my daughter.

During our cruise, there were 6,200 people on board and, at times, certain places were crowded. Waiting for an elevator was HORRIBLE! You would hit the button and wait, and wait, and wait till finally one arrived.....only to be fully packed with people. Another passenger told me that it normally wasn't THIS bad. So, I figured it was just my week's passenger capacity and said oh well (but it was still frustrating).

Another busy area was the Promenade Cafe and Sorrento's later in the evening to grab something to eat. Since those are the only 2 places (I believe) that are open after a certain time, it tends to be long lines.

We only encountered a crowd on the last sea day at the buffet because we waited until the last minute to get breakfast. But the wait to get in was only about 10 minutes and the staff found us a table right away.

As you stated yourself, the shows, parades, etc. was crowded but that is expected. Please do not let the possibility of long lines and crowds keep you away from an Oasis class ship. The fun will definitely outweigh a few minutes of crowding. Your daughter will have a fantastic time. And you will too! :D

When I sailed Oasis I remember thinking, where are the 5,000+ people on this ship? I personally only experienced a crowd at the zipline, where I waited in the burning sun for just over an hour for a quick ride across the upper deck of the ship (worth it to me). I do remember the pool deck being full to capacity most sea days, but beyond that I don't recall anything being unmanageable. There are some people who simply can't tolerate being swamped by large groups of people. Others like me, just maneuver around it. It all depends on your personality.

Sailed on Oasis (2) and Allure and never felt the crowds that you describe. Oasis class ahs been designed around neighborhoods and this alleviates any mass crowding. The only time that there were crowds was at the Promenade parades and meet the Captain nite. We basically stay away from the WJ as it isn't as good as the other RCL ships. Other than dinner, we basically frequented the Park and Solarium Cafes, Promenade Café, JR and Wipeout for their omelets and MDR (lunch) for the Tutti salad bar on sea days. However, where you will notice crowding is Custom clearance on disembarkation.

Ps. The best WJ was on the Quantum.

as many have said...

everyone has a different opinion of what crowded is.

For me... with 17 royal caribbean cruises and many different ships

I have sailed the allure twice, and actually have found it to be less crowded then any other ship. Especially boarding time.... 15 minutes from curb to ship

(unless you are like the stubborn NON SMART people that insist on showing up at the pier at 1030am even though boarding does not start till much later, then they COMPLAIN about how horrific the lines are???? Of course they are , it's like lining up at best buy for black friday at 3 am????)

During our cruise, there were 6,200 people on board and, at times, certain places were crowded. Waiting for an elevator was HORRIBLE! You would hit the button and wait, and wait, and wait till finally one arrived.....only to be fully packed with people. Another passenger told me that it normally wasn't THIS bad. So, I figured it was just my week's passenger capacity and said oh well (but it was still frustrating).

Our secret for this problem is the following. We will go up to go down, or sometimes down to go up. Basically we travel the opposite direction, until the elevator has stopped going that direction. We then hit the floor we want and pass usually pass by the folks still waiting on the floor we embarked on. We do this after a few tries of going the direction we want, unless the elevator stops in front of us, it is going the direction we want, and has room for us. After being on the Oasis class as much as we have been, this trick helps during peak times, such as after muster drill, right after a show ends, and disembarkation day.

We also do this at hotels if need be. It also works on cruise ships that have less numbers, such as when we sailed on the Island Princess. We also walk when it is just a few floors, but not everyone can or is able to do this.

EDIT: On Oasis Class ships if you are headed the "wrong" direction and you hit the floor you want it will not remember your floor stop. It deletes it, until you are headed the direction that you intended to travel.

Edited by A&L_Ont