Pictures of "long lines" and "crowding" on Oasis

I was hesitant about booking Oasis because I too feared the "long lines, big crowds" issue. It turned out we had no problems at all. I think it all depends on the time of year you cruise, the number of large groups on board, the itinerary, etc. I've stood in longer lines waiting to board in San Juan!

I think you have to keep an open mind. If you and 6,000 of your closest friends are all trying to leave a theater at one time, it's going to get crowded. If you're all waiting to get off the ship at the same time, it's going to be crowded. If you just have to avoid the crowds, then get wherever you're going early or late.

I would sail Oasis again in a heartbeat!

The fantastic cheapo dad's allure trip report has a picture at post 67.

Carpgirl, thank you for the reference. And, I had in fact read that review, and I saw that picture. However, I did not consider that a picture of what the "crowds" and "lines" would be like during the cruise. Maybe it's me trying to make excuses, after all, a line is a line. However, the guy who did that review was not complaining. His prior posts show that he boarded early, went straight to the Windjammer, and found it basically empty. His family got a large table that seated them all and the tables around them were empty. The picture you referred to was taken as he was leaving, after the noon hour. The buffet, on embarkation day, on ANY ship will be crowded between noon and 1:30. That is not caused by the size of the ship, but by the rudeness of the people who do not take into consideration that others want to eat and they sit there and talk, waiting for their cabins to open. I rank that with all the other times when a crowd should be expected for any ship.

I will let you know about the stand-up flowrider. Having had the pleasure of waiting in line many hours over mutiple cruises I will share with you what I have learned. During open riding the average ride length per person is 2 minutes. If you count 10 people in line expect it to take 20 minutes for the last person to be loading onto the wave. Some people will load themselves and ride longer. There are others that might be on the wave for 10 seconds or less, but get a lot more help. The average seems to be 2 minutes.

Don't do it on the last sea day if you are going to do it once. I have been in line as long as 40 minutes for a 3 minute ride you want to make the most of your time. Ususally on the last sea day I stop riding by noon as the line gets to be too long. If there is open riding prior to getting to port do it then, as most people are busy eating or getting ready to get of the ship.

As for your question, is there a problem with this at the flowrider. I'd say no, just lots of folks want to try it once and only once for the photo op. That in turn makes long lines for those that are there daily. If they installed a third one to shorten the lines I sure wouldn't complain.:D

My daughter will definitely want to try the flowrider. I guess we would have to research on here, the best times to go to keep the wait to a minimum. To be honest, I've watched several videos on youtube, and I think watching the other people while she waited in line would be as entertaining as her trying it herself. I think I would enjoy justing going by there and watching even without her planning to try it.

Our secret for this problem is the following. We will go up to go down, or sometimes down to go up. Basically we travel the opposite direction, until the elevator has stopped going that direction. We then hit the floor we want and pass usually pass by the folks still waiting on the floor we embarked on. We do this after a few tries of going the direction we want, unless the elevator stops in front of us, it is going the direction we want, and has room for us. After being on the Oasis class as much as we have been, this trick helps during peak times, such as after muster drill, right after a show ends, and disembarkation day.

We also do this at hotels if need be. It also works on cruise ships that have less numbers, such as when we sailed on the Island Princess. We also walk when it is just a few floors, but not everyone can or is able to do this.

EDIT: On Oasis Class ships if you are headed the "wrong" direction and you hit the floor you want it will not remember your floor stop. It deletes it, until you are headed the direction that you intended to travel.

No offense, but that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Aren't you basically taking up space for someone who wants to go in the direction you don't want to go. Just saying

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This was the area just outside the Windjammer and it was not too bad at all:

CROWDS.jpg

This really is funny......but seriously, when reading some of the posts on here, you would really picture crowds about that bad. I just can't help but to think that if there were really crowds and lines so bad that it ruined their vacations, then they would have taken some pictures of those crowds and lines.

Good question. I've never noticed people posting pictures of this as a reference for what they consider crowded either. My guess is that if you don't mind sharing a table in the buffet with strangers then you won't find it too crowded. On my last cruise on the Mariner, people were complaining constantly that the buffet was too crowded and there wasn't anywhere to sit. I could see their point because there were rarely empty tables to be found, but I was always able to find a table with a few open seats and just asked if I could share. Nobody ever said no. And whenever I was at a table and people asked to share, I was happy to do so. However, if doing something like that might be uncomfortable for you, then you may find a crowded (full to capacity) ship to be "too crowded." It's all in the prrson's perspective, so having pictures would definitely help as a reference.

I also prefer to take the stairs and get the work out rather than bother with waiting for elevators, which again is a common complaint on various ships. I did find wait times to be long and elevators to show up too full to get onto (like when I was in heels and preferred not to walk 6 flights in stillettos), but again, I always found an alternative (removing my shoes and taking the stairs anyway), and never thought doing so was an inconvenience. If you have trouble with stairs or aren't in very good shape, then "full elevators" might be a complaint, but to others who don't mind taking the stairs, it's easily ignored. Again, it's based on expectations and perspective. If you're prepared for it and know you have options (or just know you have to be patient because you don't have options), you'll probably be fine. It's like Disney Land. You know it will be crowded and you're going to wait in line, but because you expect to to be part of the experience, you probably aren't surprised or bothered by it when you're there. It's part of what you sign up for when you choose to go.

What you are describing here, I would have no problem with. I love meeting new people and I would have no problem sharing a table with other people and my daughter and I both would have no trouble taking the steps. I may look more closely at where we would be spending the most time when deciding which deck to book so that we can minimize the number of steps we have to climb.

dacsmom is pretty much spot on. I have been on Oasis twice and Allure twice and with a few exceptions the crowds are not bad. I actually find initial boarding (they have a very efficient system) and disembarking in port (they have multiple exits that are fed by escalators) LESS crowded than most ships. The Windjammer cafe is approximately the same size as on Freedom, but this is alleviated by having more complimentary areas to eat. I will say that if you board the first day between 12:30 and 1:30 don't even think about going to Windjammer (all the tables are full of people who got on ahead of you who are waiting for their cabin to be ready); do something (anything!) else. The other big crowd not mentioned is the zoo at the end of Muster Drill, especially attempting to traverse the Royal Promenade; find somewhere to sit for 15 minutes and let the cattle stampede disperse. Otherwise, ENJOY!

Thom

PS We have done the ship zip line on port days, and were actually begged to go for a second (and third) time, as they had no other customers. Sports venue times may be somewhat limited on port days, but usually very few people.

I don't know why more people don't use your wait 15 minutes approach. We use that when trying to leave venues like concerts and sporting events. People act like they will die if they aren't the first person out of a venue. I have noted your advice about doing the flowrider on port days.

My daughter will definitely want to try the flowrider. I guess we would have to research on here,...
Research answer: Wear a tee-shirt! I don't know how she'd feel about giving the boys a thrill:eek:, but I suspect Momma might not be too pleased:rolleyes:

My daughter will definitely want to try the flowrider. I guess we would have to research on here, the best times to go to keep the wait to a minimum. To be honest, I've watched several videos on youtube, and I think watching the other people while she waited in line would be as entertaining as her trying it herself. I think I would enjoy justing going by there and watching even without her planning to try it.

biggest recommendation, go with her the first day to ensure waivers are signed and to get the wristband ASAP. this will allow her to ride it anytime. don't take the wristband off or you'll have to stand in line again to get another one.

Our secret for this problem is the following. We will go up to go down, or sometimes down to go up. Basically we travel the opposite direction, until the elevator has stopped going that direction. We then hit the floor we want and pass usually pass by the folks still waiting on the floor we embarked on. We do this after a few tries of going the direction we want, unless the elevator stops in front of us, it is going the direction we want, and has room for us. After being on the Oasis class as much as we have been, this trick helps during peak times, such as after muster drill, right after a show ends, and disembarkation day.

We also do this at hotels if need be. It also works on cruise ships that have less numbers, such as when we sailed on the Island Princess. We also walk when it is just a few floors, but not everyone can or is able to do this.

EDIT: On Oasis Class ships if you are headed the "wrong" direction and you hit the floor you want it will not remember your floor stop. It deletes it, until you are headed the direction that you intended to travel.

This is another tip that I am noting in case we decide to book.

Research answer: Wear a tee-shirt! I don't know how she'd feel about giving the boys a thrill:eek:, but I suspect Momma might not be too pleased:rolleyes:

Now, that's a tip that has already been noted, but to be honest I'm one of the lucky Mommas. My daughter will be 18 in November, but she is very conservative. My guess is that she would automatically wear swim shorts and tshirt.

biggest recommendation, go with her the first day to ensure waivers are signed and to get the wristband ASAP. this will allow her to ride it anytime. don't take the wristband off or you'll have to stand in line again to get another one.

This won't be an issue. She will be turning 18 before we cruise.

Oh! I have to wait for someone, anyone to clear a table.

For the last 85+ cruises, if the table needs clearing/cleaning, I do it myself!

Oh the inhumanity.......

I love seeing people with triple loaded plates cruising the WJ looking for a "clean" table.

Personal Responsibility?

I paid for this cruise.........take care of me!

In the WJ, when we leave our table, we buss it ourselves! :confused:

I can think of a few reasons why there might not be many pictures of lines/crowding.

For starters, at least for me, I would have no reason to take a picture of lines/crowding. It's not like I'm wanting to look at such a picture along with my other vacation pictures after I return home.

Another reason could be that many people (like me) simply do not carry a phone/camera around with them all the time on a cruise ship. So even if I had a reason to take a picture of a line (which I don't), I couldn't.

This is another tip that I am noting in case we decide to book.

A concereige once suggested for us to us to try it. We obviously would not get into a full elevator that is going the wrong way. However, if I am on deck 5 and want to go to deck 17 and everyone else is waiting for an elevator going up, there is a small fraction if any that are going to deck 3 or 4. If the elevator is empty and going down, why not jump in it?

My departure from the elevator bank, even if in the wrong direction, reduces 2 people from the crowd that is milling about waiting to jam into the next elevator going up. By us not waiting we also make room for 2 more that take our place in the next elevator going up. We also only do this after we can't get into the first two or three up elevators that arrive. Like I said we also take the stairs up for short runs such as decks 17 to 15 and 8 to 4.

If you every stay at Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale you will find this extremely helpful was you are trying to go to the lobby when you are checking out. When everyone from the floors above you fill the elevator before you have a chance to even think about getting on, going up is practically the only option. Sometimes you have to be creative to get to the end destination.

You you choose to sail on Oasis Class hope you love it as much as we do. :)

I can think of a few reasons why there might not be many pictures of lines/crowding.

For starters, at least for me, I would have no reason to take a picture of lines/crowding. It's not like I'm wanting to look at such a picture along with my other vacation pictures after I return home.

Another reason could be that many people (like me) simply do not carry a phone/camera around with them all the time on a cruise ship. So even if I had a reason to take a picture of a line (which I don't), I couldn't.

I can agree that both of these are valid reasons for you, or anyone else, to not take pictures of the crowds. But, do you have any pictures of things you were interested in that might have accidentally caught the crowds in the background. Also, after all of the threads I've read on here where one person posted that they had such bad experiences with crowds and lines that it ruined their vacations and they will never cruise on the big ships again and then someone replied saying "I was on the same cruise as you, and I didn't experience any crowds or lines at all", I would think that someone who posts here regularly would make a point to take pictures of lines and crowds when they experience them, especially I they plan to get on here and post about them.

Great graduation present for your daughter! My dd and I cruised on the Oasis for her law school graduation and we were thrilled with the ship. We had previously cruised several times with HAL and loved all the different neighborhoods on the Oasis. I had no trouble finding a quiet place to read in Central Park or in the Solarium. We have since sailed again on Oasis and are booked on the Allure in November since we enjoyed our previous cruises. We prefer a cabin on deck 8 since Central Park is there and it's easy to run to the Cafe. Crowds are noticeable when a show gets out and you try to take an elevator. It's easier to just walk to the other end of the ship and catch an elevator there or else use the stairs. As you stated, I also expect crowds when there's a parade or a show so that's not a problem to me.

As for the Windjammer, you don't have to eat there if it's crowded at peak times. There are plenty of other places for food. However, we thought the Windjammer staff did an excellent job of finding tables for people when there was a line. The line went fast and we rarely stayed in line for more than 3-4 minutes at peak times. Give the Oasis a try. I bet your daughter will love it!

We were on Oasis this May and never felt like sardines. I honestly think that the layout of the ship does wonders for crowd control. Now, we also didn't do the Zipline, Flowrider, any Promenade events or Cats so take that into consideration. (Sail away was done from our balcony, Catching onto our theme?)

We also only ate in the MDR one night. (We had to wait with the "Masses" for our MTD, but there was a bar there and we had the booze package so no concerns were had.

Breakfast was done by room service so no fights for food there, lunch was painless to grab in the WJ or any of the other million places whenever you were hungry.

If you have reservations and show up early to the events you want to attend you won't ever need to stress about lines, bring 2 drinks (thats why you have 2 hands) and enjoy your trip.