I swear I'm not crazy. Or am I?

firegirl1013

Maybe. Maybe means you may replenish your cans in port if it is a Coke product.

Actually the new rules states that a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Edited by near the beach

I have found that there are many things that differ from ship to ship. Example: We knew a couple who brought a hand-held steamer in her luggage and it was left in her bag on one cruise and then taken on her next. It wasn't an 'iron'... just a steamer. On my last cruise, a woman was at guest services asking about her neighbor having an electric fan and wanted to know why hers was confiscated. Not sure of the outcome... I'm sorry this happened to you but hopefully, someone will have a clearer answer by the next time you cruise and need to replenish your supplies!

Maybe. Maybe means you may replenish your cans in port if it is a Coke product.

Actually the new rules states that a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

This can be interpreted 2 ways:

1. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage.

2. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage.

This ambiguity is not found in the description of the carry-on wine policy:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

I think if they were actually changing the policy of bringing soda on at ports, they would be more clear.

Maybe I'm confused - why would the policy about where you can bring on soda change just because they went from bottles to cans? Were you ever allowed to "re-stock" in ports when you ran out of bottled diet Mountain Dew?

I think John must hate to say "beats me" so he may have tried to be too helpful when he said maybe you could restock in port.

I guess my confusion is that I use to bring on bottled Dr. Pepper and I never thought I could replenish the stock in any port.

I have "searched" on Carnival's website for anything and everything connected with "port" purchases and no where is it addressed. The issue of embarkation day beverage carry-ons is clearly defined.

Unless someone can find something concerning port purchases I am going to assume that the re-stocking of beverages at port is a mute issue no matter what John Heald (or whatever his name is) says.

Yes, he said in his July 21 blog post that someone should replenish their soda of choice in port. I also remember him saying that more soda can be brought on board in ports in a Facebook post in the last few weeks.
I saw that, too, and printed the page where he said it. (Don't know if it will do us any good :confused:) We fly in the day of cruise so we can't stop to buy any cans of soda.....we like Pepsi products, not Coke......so when we stop at our first port we usually buy 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi and take it back on the ship for the remainder of the cruise. The original changes to the policy sounded like we could NOT bring back beverages in ports but on his Facebook page the other day he said we COULD. He should know, right? :)

On this facebook page from this Carnival spokesperson (John) is there an indication that he is the official "voice" of Carnival and that his posts are "straight from the horses mouth". If his page says that then people could have a case for bringing along a screen shot of the post. If he is just another blogger filling in the gaps then I wouldn't be so quick to take his word over specific Carnival policy.

ETA: oh I checked his blog and: "Hi, I’m John, these are my underpants and this is my blog. So please don’t mistake my opinions — or those of my dear friends, fans or commenters — for those of Carnival Cruise Line or Carnival Corporation…………. even if they do pay the bills."

Guess he isn't the voice of Carnival.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I just got off a cruise this week and I took a printed copy of John's email as proof that I can restock soda cans and they still confiscated and threw my sodas away. I was super pissed. Last time I go on RCCL.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They should have treated it like alcohol and held it for you. Was there a table set up?

Apparently that has changed as well. Quoted from Carnival's website: "For cruises starting on or after July 9, 2015, a change to our Liquor and Beverage Policy will take effect where guests will no longer be allowed to bring on board water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages packaged in bottles. Additionally, any confiscated items will also be discarded."

I just got off a cruise this week and I took a printed copy of John's email as proof that I can restock soda cans and they still confiscated and threw my sodas away. I was super pissed. Last time I go on RCCL.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sir - I am offended that you just made me spit my coffee across my monitor!:D

On this facebook page from this Carnival spokesperson (John) is there an indication that he is the official "voice" of Carnival and that his posts are "straight from the horses mouth". If his page says that then people could have a case for bringing along a screen shot of the post. If he is just another blogger filling in the gaps then I wouldn't be so quick to take his word over specific Carnival policy.

ETA: oh I checked his blog and: "Hi, I’m John, these are my underpants and this is my blog. So please don’t mistake my opinions — or those of my dear friends, fans or commenters — for those of Carnival Cruise Line or Carnival Corporation…………. even if they do pay the bills."

That's his blog. What about his Facebook page where all he does is process Carnival business, and is monitored and managed by Csrnival employees?

He is the voice and face of Carnival, but he is talking about his opinions - which are his own and not Carnivals.

Apparently that has changed as well. Quoted from Carnival's website: "For cruises starting on or after July 9, 2015, a change to our Liquor and Beverage Policy will take effect where guests will no longer be allowed to bring on board water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages packaged in bottles. Additionally, any confiscated items will also be discarded."

I don't think this is correct. You have always been able to purchase alcohol at ports and they collect it and keep it until time to debark. They would not stop people from purchasing specific run or tequila that they cannot find in the states.

I think if that is what it means, then we certainly would have heard about this happening very quickly.

For those who are wondering who John Heald is and his 'role' in Carnival is simply put: He is the Brand Ambassador for Carnival Cruise Lines. Before that, he was the Senior CD (Cruise Director) of CCL. John writes his own blog and answers questions about everything Carnival and much more. He has millions of followers who adore him but his sense of humor is not for everyone. I have had the pleasure of cruising with him many, many years ago and can honestly say, he was one of the funniest CD's ever.

So with that being said... yes, he does 'speak' for Carnival' in his own way. If it is his personal opinion, he will tell you that. Being the Brand Ambassador carries many responsibilities and I have no doubt that he talks with the 'beards' on a weekly (if not daily) basis - especially if a question needs a policy answer... Giving us the wrong answer very well could put his job in jeopardy.

Like it or not - the man is of high importance to the Carnival Cruise Line and usually what he says - will hold great weight. I'm not saying he doesn't sometimes get it wrong. What I am saying is that most of the time, he gets it right.

Edited by kdinkus1

Maybe I'm confused - why would the policy about where you can bring on soda change just because they went from bottles to cans? Were you ever allowed to "re-stock" in ports when you ran out of bottled diet Mountain Dew?

I think John must hate to say "beats me" so he may have tried to be too helpful when he said maybe you could restock in port.

I guess my confusion is that I use to bring on bottled Dr. Pepper and I never thought I could replenish the stock in any port.

Until the recent change you were always permitted to bring soda and non alcoholic beverages in from various ports. We always would bring home several dozen bottles of original and grapefruit ting (We cannot purchase this particular soda at home). We never had to surrender any bottles as if it were liquor.

I know the new beverage policy is in place, but I thought we were allowed to stock up on cans in port and John Heald confirmed this. Am I crazy? We are on the breeze and they confiscated and threw away our 12 pack of 12 ounce cans we tried to bring back on in St. Martin.

Anyone have the JH link to him confirming this?

To quote Gino Marella sometimes John Heald is a fountain of MISinformation :D:D

For those who are wondering who John Heald is and his 'role' in Carnival is simply put: He is the Brand Ambassador for Carnival Cruise Lines. Before that, he was the Senior CD (Cruise Director) of CCL. John writes his own blog and answers questions about everything Carnival and much more. He has millions of followers who adore him but his sense of humor is not for everyone. I have had the pleasure of cruising with him many, many years ago and can honestly say, he was one of the funniest CD's ever.

So with that being said... yes, he does 'speak' for Carnival' in his own way. If it is his personal opinion, he will tell you that. Being the Brand Ambassador carries many responsibilities and I have no doubt that he talks with the 'beards' on a weekly (if not daily) basis - especially if a question needs a policy answer...

Like it or not - the man is of high importance to the Carnival Cruise Line and usually what he says - will hold great weight. I'm not saying he doesn't sometimes get it wrong. What I am saying is that most of the time, he gets it right.

PS... I meant to add this before I submitted my earlier post but something came up and my 20 minute window elapsed. So I thought I better get back on and add this as well - There are hundreds of people (if not thousands) on this CC site that can do a much better job of describing JH and his job description than me. My only intention was to write a 'quick' summary for those who have no idea who he is. And my last sentence... 'What I am saying is that most of the time, he gets it right', is only IF the info he receives is correct or up to date. Otherwise, he is as much in the dark as we are.

Edited by kdinkus1

Show me a human being who makes no mistakes and he is probably in the grave. But there are people who really like to point out other peoples mistakes as if the world is coming to an end. John Heald is no different than any other person on this earth. He does not claim to be perfect and unable to make mistakes. Some people just want to rag on him because they are jealous of what he has accomplished and they haven't. You have to consider the source of any criticism.

To quote Gino Marella sometimes John Heald is a fountain of MISinformation :D:D

Odd logic is when someone makes a mistake, and it's pointed out, one must be jealous of the person that made the mistake.

I've read it all.

Top shelf tequila is cheaper in the U.S then Mexico. 1942 was about $150 all through Mexico, our local liquor store sells it for $99. Yes, there is a lot of flavored rot gut Tequila in Mexico, but you get what you pay for.

Top shelf tequila is cheaper in the U.S then Mexico. 1942 was about $150 all through Mexico, our local liquor store sells it for $99. Yes, there is a lot of flavored rot gut Tequila in Mexico, but you get what you pay for.

:confused: