I swear I'm not crazy. Or am I?

firegirl1013

I know the new beverage policy is in place, but I thought we were allowed to stock up on cans in port and John Heald confirmed this. Am I crazy? We are on the breeze and they confiscated and threw away our 12 pack of 12 ounce cans we tried to bring back on in St. Martin.

Anyone have the JH link to him confirming this?

I know the new beverage policy is in place, but I thought we were allowed to stock up on cans in port and John Heald confirmed this. Am I crazy? We are on the breeze and they confiscated and threw away our 12 pack of 12 ounce cans we tried to bring back on in St. Martin.

Anyone have the JH link to him confirming this?

Cans of what? Perhaps the contents made a difference.

This is from the website

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

I don't know if they mean you can bring cans in on embarkation day "only" or if they mean "only" in carry ons. I'm not a lawyer or english major so i cant tell for sure.

This is from the website

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

I don't know if they mean you can bring cans in on embarkation day "only" or if they mean "only" in carry ons. I'm not a lawyer or english major so i cant tell for sure.

In John Heald's blog from June 11 when he announced the new policy, the "on embarkation day only" phrase was underlined indicating to me that the 12 cans/person of water/juice/soda/milk could only be carried on during embarkation, not at a port stop. FWIW...... ;)

I know I also saw something that John responded to where someone was asking about a certain type of soda, saying they run out of what they bring, and John advised them to restock in port. So they should not have taken your soda!

I'm the one who originally asked John that question on FB and he posted that we were welcome to bring on cans of sodas at ports.

So, I would definately post on his page and let him know what happened. Seems that someone doesn't know the policy. I wish I could remember how long ago I posted the question. Possibly do a search for my posts here on CC. I reported his answer as soon as I got it.

Found it - it was just last Friday (boy is my memory bad)...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2235426

Edited by TerReuv

Paul asks:

Good day, Mr. Heald! I have a question that concerns something somewhat trivial. One of the friends I cruise with is rather addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. A 12-pack of Diet Dew is a mandatory carry-on item for him and his wife. Still, it’s not unusual for him to run out.

John says:

Hello Paul

I know this is a very popular drink but, unfortunately, it is not made by Coca Cola who we have an exclusive contract with. I am sorry but hopefully you can continue to bring this (cans not bottles) on the ship and maybe replenish in port. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Best wishes.

John

This is from his blog from yesterday -- there is a maybe about replenishing in port. Sounds like a clarification is needed.

Paul asks:

Good day, Mr. Heald! I have a question that concerns something somewhat trivial. One of the friends I cruise with is rather addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. A 12-pack of Diet Dew is a mandatory carry-on item for him and his wife. Still, it’s not unusual for him to run out.

John says:

Hello Paul

I know this is a very popular drink but, unfortunately, it is not made by Coca Cola who we have an exclusive contract with. I am sorry but hopefully you can continue to bring this (cans not bottles) on the ship and maybe replenish in port. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Best wishes.

John

This is from his blog from yesterday -- there is a maybe about replenishing in port. Sounds like a clarification is needed.

Wow! That answer clearly tells me he doesn't know. <not shocked>

Didn't see this question answered. What was in the cans?????

The OP said it was soda. So if JH's response is correct, then it should have been allowed although as jcearth mentions above, some clarification may be needed.

I'm the one who originally asked John that question on FB and he posted that we were welcome to bring on cans of sodas at ports.

So, I would definately post on his page and let him know what happened. Seems that someone doesn't know the policy. I wish I could remember how long ago I posted the question. Possibly do a search for my posts here on CC. I reported his answer as soon as I got it.

Found it - it was just last Friday (boy is my memory bad)...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2235426

Someone later in that post who had just debarked the Breeze stated the same issue as the OP - cans were not allowed to be brought on in ports of call.

It would seem that a "Certainly!" from Heald may not carry the weight one thinks it does.

I know I also saw something that John responded to where someone was asking about a certain type of soda, saying they run out of what they bring, and John advised them to restock in port. So they should not have taken your soda!

Didn't know John was that important to be the one to make and modify the rules?

Someone later in that post who had just debarked the Breeze stated the same issue as the OP - cans were not allowed to be brought on in ports of call.

It would seem that a "Certainly!" from Heald may not carry the weight one thinks it does.

I'm sure John does carry ALOT of weight when it comes to Carnival, but so PROUD he has lost it around his waist.

In John Heald's blog from June 11 when he announced the new policy, the "on embarkation day only" phrase was underlined indicating to me that the 12 cans/person of water/juice/soda/milk could only be carried on during embarkation, not at a port stop. FWIW...... ;)

I tried to reiterate this point on another social forum I'm a member of, and several folks insisted they would be able to re-up in port. In their case it was San Juan. This part of the policy seems clear to me - On embarkation day only.

I hope everyone gets confirmation to this. I also drink Diet Mountain Dew and for our Sunshine 13 day cruise, a 12 pack won't be enough since the other 12 pack would be a different type for her. Even with rationing the Dew, 12 cans won't be enough for 13 days being I do at least 2 Dews a day.

Hope this gets sorted out either way so we all know :) .

This is from Johns Blog yesterday.....

Paul asks:

John says:

Hello Paul

I know this is a very popular drink but, unfortunately, it is not made by Coca Cola who we have an exclusive contract with. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I am sorry but hopefully you can continue to bring this (cans not bottles) on the ship and maybe replenish in port.Best wishes.

John

Paul asks:

John says:

Hello Paul

I know this is a very popular drink but, unfortunately, it is not made by Coca Cola who we have an exclusive contract with. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I am sorry but hopefully you can continue to bring this (cans not bottles) on the ship and maybe replenish in port.Best wishes.

John

Someone mentioned that blog post answer above and the "maybe" makes it somewhat unclear. It's probably fair to say no one knows for sure at this point except what the official policy states, which it appears ship security are following.

Paul asks:

John says:

Hello Paul

John

I took the "maybe" in John's post to mean maybe they can find Diet Mountain Dew in port. I'm sure there are more than a few ports where Diet Mountain dew is hard to find! As evidence for this, he also says, "hopefully you can continue to bring this ... on the ship." He clearly does NOT mean "hopefully they won't change the policy where you would no longer be able to bring it on board," but rather, "hopefully you are physically able to purchase and bring them on board yourself." It is logical to assume he phrased the second part, about buying more in port, in a similar way.

As for the policy "...embarkation day only in guests' carry-on..." The correct answer is that it unambiguously ambiguous.

If "only" refers to carry on: "only" is being used as a conjunction, meaning "but, with the clear stipulation that this is the sole exception"

If it were referring to "embarkation day," "only" would be an adverb, meaning "solely"

Both uses are correct. Whoever wrote that policy needs to go back to school.

Didn't know John was that important to be the one to make and modify the rules?

Of course he is -- just ask him!!!!

Now everyone will print the question / answer and take it to the ports. Wonder if the workers will even know (or care) who John Held is.