"Get to know your room attendant"

I keep reading that you should get to know your room attendant. That sounds fine, but when do you I actually see him/her? Do they check in on you more often than a normal hotel's housekeeping services?

Generally, when do initially meet this person and how often do you interact? If you request room service, are they the people that fetch it for you?

Do you want to be chatty with them or are they on a tight schedule and trying to move on to the next cabin? Thanks for the insight. Also the prepaid gratuity goes to this person automatically correct?

Usually the RA will introduce themselves on boarding day. We have found that each attendant is different-some are very interested in sharing thier life with you and others are all business. Most of the time you will see your RA doing thier job and you will have time to say hello and good bye.I do believe the auto tip goes directly to that person and they might share it with a helper. If the RA is good (which is usually the case) we leave extra.

Edited by harry0

Room service will be delivered by different staff - not the room stewards.

A small tip for that at time of delivery is appreciated. Small tip for a small order and larger tip for a big order. At least this is what we do.

After the initial meet...usually when the staterooms become available on embarkation day...we often see the RA in the hall outside our stateroom. Usually at some point in the morning and then again in the evening...they all have their carts (or whatever you want to call those) with all their cleaning/room supplies in the halls and you will likely catch your RA there or going back and forth from cart to the room they are currently servicing.

Depending on your schedule, you may or may not run across your RA like this.

Usually, they are busy...but not so busy to exchange a friendly greeting or more depending on the situation.

I keep reading that you should get to know your room attendant. That sounds fine, but when do you I actually see him/her? Do they check in on you more often than a normal hotel's housekeeping services?

Generally, when do initially meet this person and how often do you interact? If you request room service, are they the people that fetch it for you?

Do you want to be chatty with them or are they on a tight schedule and trying to move on to the next cabin? Thanks for the insight. Also the prepaid gratuity goes to this person automatically correct?

Based on our experiences...Yes...I completely agree with the recommendation to "get to know" your stateroom attendant. Chatty? No...not necessary and even though they have a limited number of cabins they are responsible for, yours is not the only one and they need to be able to provide similar service to their other guests. It definitely pays to be pleasant.

Our cabin stewards have always come to our room that first afternoon to introduce his/herself. That is OUR chance to also introduce ourselves and share any special requests. After that how frequently you see your steward depends on how often you go back/forth to your cabin. We always see ours in the hallway as they are making their rounds, tending to their assigned cabins. Recognizing them in those casual encounters, being pleasant, and calling them by name go along way to them taking some extra effort to recognize you and making your stay special.

No...regarding room service...ours has always been delivered by waitstaff assigned to room service deliveries. We always tip them separate as they do not receive a portion the prepaid gratuity.

Yes, the cabin stewards do receive their portion of the prepaid gratuity. However, that amount often seems fairly minimal (without getting into an economic debate). Therefore, when we receive that extra treatment and our steward has met or exceeded our expectations...you bet! We will give him/her some extra cash that last evening as a thank you.

I hope that answers your questions and enjoy your cruise! [emoji41]

Edited by SuzD123

The attendant will introduce him/herself on the first day. I generally bumped into them in the morning or early evening whilst they are cleaning other cabins. I tend to go back forth to my cabin throughout the day and when the attendant see me walking past the corridor they will say hi and sometimes have a chat.

Good topic. These folks work so hard.

We always meet the cabin steward before muster and learn where they are from and how much longer they have to go before seeing family again.

I always provide a little cash tip, and request ice for every day.

Also, because we have seen all of the towel animals over the years, I tell them that none are needed for our cabin, but that's just us.

And, we always tip room service 3-to-5 bucks, depending on the order.

...Also, because we have seen all of the towel animals over the years, I tell them that none are needed for our cabin, but that's just us....

We used to do this too, thinking that we were giving them a break and making their job a bit easier. Unfortunately, some seemed to take this as a challenge to create something elaborate that we've never seen. I don't say anything about towel animals anymore.

I have found all employees on the ship to be very interesting. They are from a multitude of nations. They don't come from wealth and have experienced many things we haven't. Now, like others have said, don't "over chat" your room attendant. But there are times you have requests (I do), ask in a polite and considerate manner. I often am ready to go to dinner before my wife. I will wait in the hall sometimes. If the attendant is there and not busy I'll "chit chat." I always ask about them. Where they're from, and about their family. They always love to talk about their family and country and you can tell they are excited that someone even cares. Like any other communication, you can tell if they are busy or in a hurry. So use good judgement. It can really help. On a New Year's cruise a few years ago our cabin attendant just "wasn't that friendly." Ok, efficient, but not all "happy and smiles." Around day 3 I was in the hall and started talking to her. Turns out she had been away from her kids for 6 months and was really missing them over the holidays. My wife and I talked with her for awhile as she told us about home and family. After that she was amazingly nice to us. Smiled, greeted us, everytime we saw her. I think she was just happy to talk about family, and happy that someone actually cared and appreciated her efforts and her separation. Try the same with the waiters when you can.

In fact, another story. On a cruise last year we were the only ones in the Concierge Lounge and began talking to the Concierge (he was from India). I am a pilot and we began talking about the bombing at the Mumbai hotel. I told him a pilot friend left the hotel 20 min. before the bombing. He told us that he had been offered a job as a restaurant manager, and opted to come to RCCL at the last minute. He would have been manager at the hotel restaurant and would have been killed. His friend took the job when he turned it down. He also told us that he and his wife (dating at the time) went into Mumbai on the train. He proposed to her and they decided to stay a few extra hours to celebrate. The train they were scheduled on was blown up by terrorists. Again, a last minute decision saved his life. Very interesting guy.

Lot's of fascinating stories by crew members. Never miss a chance to ask them about their lives.

Edited by papaflamingo

I believe like most people, it is up to that individual. Some like to talk, others are just quite, and go about their business. I don't ask questions, but if they open a conversation, I will talk. Our last cruise, he always would ask how the day was, where we went and other things, and so we talked. However on other cruises, I had very little interaction with anyone.

The same goes for other employees and/or guest. Some just like to talk.

Based on our experiences...Yes...I completely agree with the recommendation to "get to know" your stateroom attendant. Chatty? No...not necessary and even though they have a limited number of cabins they are responsible for, yours is not the only one and they need to be able to provide similar service to their other guests. It definitely pays to be pleasant.

Our cabin stewards have always come to our room that first afternoon to introduce his/herself. That is OUR chance to also introduce ourselves and share any special requests. After that how frequently you see your steward depends on how often you go back/forth to your cabin. We always see ours in the hallway as they are making their rounds, tending to their assigned cabins. Recognizing them in those casual encounters, being pleasant, and calling them by name go along way to them taking some extra effort to recognize you and making your stay special.

No...regarding room service...ours has always been delivered by waitstaff assigned to room service deliveries. We always tip them separate as they do not receive a portion the prepaid gratuity.

Yes, the cabin stewards do receive their portion of the prepaid gratuity. However, that amount often seems fairly minimal (without getting into an economic debate). Therefore, when we receive that extra treatment and our steward has met or exceeded our expectations...you bet! We will give him/her some extra cash that last evening as a thank you.

I hope that answers your questions and enjoy your cruise! [emoji41]

Some room attendants would love for you to be chatty... For example, on our Oasis cruise in May, our room attendant loved to talk to us. Almost every time she saw us in the hall she would yell down the hall and drop what she was doing to come talk to us. She told us all about her daughter and (she's from Jamaica) how she gets off in Falmouth to see her family every other week when the ship ports there. She was definitely the best room attendant I've ever had. But on the other hand, our room attendant last year on the Radiance was less than personal and we maybe got a wave once or twice, although our room was always made up nicely.

I have only been on one cruise so not a lot of experience. We didn't see our cabin steward until day 3, she didn't come and introduce herself as others have said on the first day. Not sure why we didn't see her before then.

She was not friendly at all. Not mean or rude, just not interested in interaction and we were fine with that.

We didn't tip extra as we had no special requests and in fact no requests at all. I cleaned our cabin everyday and kept things neat and put away. I don't think it is their responsibility to clean up after us.

We used to do this too, thinking that we were giving them a break and making their job a bit easier. Unfortunately, some seemed to take this as a challenge to create something elaborate that we've never seen. I don't say anything about towel animals anymore.

For our wedding cruise I tipped our RA on day one to insure we get a towel animal every night. DW just gets the biggest kick out of them regardless how many times she has seen that particular animal[emoji2], and I get the biggest kick out of her excitement about a sill . Along with the extra tip

I always try to get to know our RA, at least a little bit. I talk with them, ask them where their home is located, etc. I let them take it from there. Some like to talk with you every chance they get, others not so much.

I love the towel animals and always thank them so much for there hard work. They usually will leave each one in the room and then I normally have an animal collection on the sofa.

I don't think some people are aware of how hard they work and how many rooms they take care of each day. Our last RA had 17 rooms and the only helper he had was on turn around day. The one before that had 18. :eek:

Some cruisers seem to want to get to know cruise ship employees. We treat them politely, tip well, and keep our cabin very neat, however we treat them the same as hotel maids, servers in restaurants, etc. Don't understand the need of some posters to get to know the crew

Some cruisers seem to want to get to know cruise ship employees. We treat them politely, tip well, and keep our cabin very neat, however we treat them the same as hotel maids, servers in restaurants, etc. Don't understand the need of some posters to get to know the crew

I'd say to each their own. I like you am disinterested yet DW usually manages to get their life story by the end of the cruise. We have met some wait staff that we've some how managed to sail repeatedly with over the years and DW has friended them on Facebook.

We started cruising back in 1990. At that time we cruised Carnival (I know :eek:). Anyway, the thought was, at that time, that you shouldn't see your cabin attendant at all. The less you saw them, the better they were supposed to have been. Was it like that on Royal too, if anyone remembers? I also remember that the cabin attendant would take the women's nightgown, if she left it laying on the bed, and make an animal out of it. That would creep me out now, but not then. Of, course I was a lot younger and dumber then.....:p;)

Now they come and introduce themselves. I like it better now.

Gwen :)

I'm in the "no need to make long-lasting friends" with any of the ship's staff/crew camp. Our BEST cabin attendant was one we never saw! To this day we don't know if it was a man or woman, but our cabin was immaculate all the time!

I don't make friends with hotel staff or restaurant staff...I don't see any difference in the ship staff!

Edited by cb at sea

To each their own.

I like getting to know the crew. As similar as cruises are to hotels/restaurants/bars, I don't view them the same. We try to make our cruises as "special" as possible, and building relationships with the staff, where we can have a nice conversation with them and they know our names and preferences, helps make the cruise more enjoyable. JMO. I'm not out to make life-long friends, but I like to build relationships with them. I also like to think that maybe it helps make their work day just a bit better.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

now see, I feel just the opposite! Getting to know people from all over the world, even if just briefly, is one of the highlights of every cruise I've been on! Back in the day when I was a single 20-something, I befriended the Ledo deck manager on a Premier Cruise and we ended up as pen pals for a long while afterwards.

I enjoy getting to know a little about my RA and I like when they are a professional, but also friendly (and not all business.... although I would never hold that against them if they do a good job, but I wouldn't tip any extra).

I love it when they see me coming down the hall and make time to go to my cabin door and open it for me (especially if my hands are full or something). It's just a nice, thoughtful thing for them to do. On one cruise, my RA hadn't yet gotten around to refilling my ice (although I'm sure he would have eventually), so I grabbed the bucket and was headed to the WJ. I didn't get 3 doors down before he saw me, asked what I was doing and immediately took the ice bucket and refilled it for me. I really didn't mind taking it to refill it myself, so this was a very nice gesture on his part.

On the same cruise, the people next door who I had gotten to know through CC, mentioned they got monkey towel animal...I told said to them that I had never seen one. Later, they ran into our RA and mentioned this. He said he didn't make us one because he couldn't find an empty pants hanger in our cabin (which was the truth...we packed too many clothes...lol). Our friends gave him one of theirs and when we returned, we were greeted with our very own monkey towel animal :D

I remember these "extra" things they do throughout the cruise and leave a little extra tip for them as a way of saying thanks for going above and beyond :)

I once saw a picture review on here where the guy created a "towel animal" by rolling a dirty towel and sticking it between the toilet seat and lid and then tucking it into a pair of shoes to look like the toilet had eaten someone. I decided to steal that idea and then on another day I made a towel swan on the bed. Our attendant was a pretty clever guy who was mostly about business but the toilet gag cracked him up. Of course nothing makes their day better than some extra cash for all their hard work (which we also did) but I know that if I were working their job I'd at least like people to be friendly with me and maybe even share a little of their fun.